2019 Samsung Q60R Owner's Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #31 of 49 Old 11-30-2019, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
How do I output 4k whilst also getting audio from my old reciever?

Hey guys, just yesterday I got my new Samsung Q60R Qled, however, I do have an older reciever that's incompatible with most of the features of this TV. Bit sucky, anyways it's a Denon 2313. Using the PS4 for example, features like Deep Colour, colour spaces of 2160p YUV and RGB are greyed out, no HDR so. Forces me to use the audio from the speakers instead .

Anyways of course a new reciever is in order but, expensive enough for the TV. Any advice on how to get my surround going from the the reciever whilst also being able to use all the features the TV has? I am from the UK BTW.

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 11-30-2019, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2173 Post(s)
Liked: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Burton View Post
Hey guys, just yesterday I got my new Samsung Q60R Qled, however, I do have an older reciever that's incompatible with most of the features of this TV. Bit sucky, anyways it's a Denon 2313. Using the PS4 for example, features like Deep Colour, colour spaces of 2160p YUV and RGB are greyed out, no HDR so. Forces me to use the audio from the speakers instead .

Anyways of course a new reciever is in order but, expensive enough for the TV. Any advice on how to get my surround going from the the reciever whilst also being able to use all the features the TV has? I am from the UK BTW.

Connect your devices directly to the TV, and then use optical out to your AVR until you get a new AVR. You'll still get surround but it will be limited to Dolby Digital (not Dolby Digital +).
musicman0725 likes this.
post #33 of 49 Old 11-30-2019, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3570 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
+1

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 49 Old 11-30-2019, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I knew it. Lol. But I just asked incase I missed something. Thank you. Its gonna have to do till that sparkly new denon comes about.

musicman0725 likes this.

post #35 of 49 Old 12-02-2019, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 15
From what I can tell, the Q60R DOES NOT have Dolby Digital Plus. (Samsung.com specs show DD+ for the Q70R but not the Q60R).

This means I cannot process Netflix 5.1, right?
post #36 of 49 Old 12-02-2019, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 151
2019 Samsung Q60R Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6volt View Post
From what I can tell, the Q60R DOES NOT have Dolby Digital Plus. (Samsung.com specs show DD+ for the Q70R but not the Q60R).

This means I cannot process Netflix 5.1, right?

It has Dolby Digital Plus. You can select it in audio settings when watching content that supports it. Also, DD+ is not required for 5.1 audio from Netflix (it is required for Atmos which this set supports over ARC). Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital+ support 5.1 channels from Netflix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samsung UN55KS8000 | Denon AVR-X4500H | AppleTV 4K | DirecTV HR54 + 4K RVU | Samsung UBD-M8500
Samsung UN55HU8550 + SEK-4500/ZA | Samsung Soundbar HW-H550 | AppleTV 4K | DirecTV 4K RVU | Samsung UBD-K8500
Samsung QN43Q60RA | AppleTV 4th Gen | DirecTV C41W

Last edited by musicman0725; 12-02-2019 at 08:44 PM.
post #37 of 49 Old 12-02-2019, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the info.

Do you have the Q60R? Do you like it? What other sound systems have you had on your system (for comparison)?

I went round and round w/Netflix rep and they stuck to their claim that you need DD+ equipment to decode their 5.1. They also said need 3.0 Mbs bandwidth too. (They mentioned some extreme bandwidth required to handle ATMOS.)

I have a Hisense 55" 4k Smart TV w/Netflix that shows the "5.1" in the title area of programs which means it is handled by the TV. I have optical going to an old RCA AVR that is Dolby Digital 5.1 capable. Nothing happens. The 5.1 does not "commandeer" the AVR from the various surround processes nor are they disabled - I can select "STEREO" with 5.1 input.

So now I'm faced with considering components that have DD+ but do not state this in their specs. What is even worse is that even on manufacturer's pages (like Yamaha I believe) they do not list all the surrounds the component has. Clearly cheaper bars only have Optical inputs which by definition do not have DD+ since must have HDMI input for DD+. Of course this begs the question: Do all HDMI input audio devices have DD+?

There is also another potential issue. I had a HK AVR-430 running off this Hisense and there was a major bizarre "malfunction" which I called LOOM (Left Only, Over Modulated). I can't remember the details but to correct, you had to turn the set off w/TV as source. I replaced the set immediately and the 2nd one behaved the same way. I hoped it was the old HK AVR. This RCA AVR is easily as old. So here could be an issue with the RCA however I thought digital optical was a fairly robust interface.

Last edited by 6volt; 12-02-2019 at 10:21 PM.
post #38 of 49 Old 12-02-2019, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

Do you have the Q60R? Do you like it? What other sound systems have you had on your system (for comparison)?

I went round and round w/Netflix rep and they stuck to their claim that you need DD+ equipment to decode their 5.1. They also said need 3.0 Mbs bandwidth too. (They mentioned some extreme bandwidth required to handle ATMOS.)

I have a Hisense 55" 4k Smart TV w/Netflix that shows the "5.1" in the title area of programs which means it is handled by the TV. I have optical going to an old RCA AVR that is Dolby Digital 5.1 capable. Nothing happens. The 5.1 does not "commandeer" the AVR from the various surround processes nor are they disabled - I can select "STEREO" with 5.1 input.

So now I'm faced with considering components that have DD+ but do not state this in their specs. What is even worse is that even on manufacturer's pages (like Yamaha I believe) they do not list all the surrounds the component has. Clearly cheaper bars only have Optical inputs which by definition do not have DD+ since must have HDMI input for DD+. Of course this begs the question: Do all HDMI input audio devices have DD+?

There is also another potential issue. I had a HK AVR-430 running off this Hisense and there was a major bizarre "malfunction" which I called LOOM (Left Only, Over Modulated). I can't remember the details but to correct, you had to turn the set off w/TV as source. I replaced the set immediately and the 2nd one behaved the same way. I hoped it was the old HK AVR. This RCA AVR is easily as old. So here could be an issue with the RCA however I thought digital optical was a fairly robust interface.

I have the Q60R in my bedroom and like it. Picture quality is great and better than what I was expecting (had been concerned that it doesn’t have local dimming but that has really been a non-issue). I don’t have it hooked up to an AVR or sound bar, however, I recently helped my dad configure a Samsung RU8000 (2019) which is very similar. His AVR is hooked up over ARC and lights up Dolby Digital when the default Dolby digital is selected while playing Netflix. When we switched the Samsung sound setting to Dolby Digital Plus the AVR lit up DD+.

I confirmed what you were saying about Netflix and it looks like they always send a DD+ signal, however, the TV will decode that and still send a DD signal to your AVR unless you select DD+. When we had it configured like that we still got 5.1 surround. His receiver doesn’t support Atmos but he does have a 7.1 system so I left it set to DD+ after we changed the setting. Still, it was interesting that DD and not DD+ was the default setting as the average consumer wouldn’t even bother to look.

To answer your second question, not all TVs that decode Dolby Digital Plus can pass it back to the AVR over HDMI ARC. I know newer devices can, however my 2016 KS8000 will only pass DD to my Denon. I receive 5.1 Dolby Digital on my Denon from the internal Netflix app using ARC with that TV. To get Atmos, I use an ATV 4K connected to my Denon which is connected to my KS8000.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Samsung UN55KS8000 | Denon AVR-X4500H | AppleTV 4K | DirecTV HR54 + 4K RVU | Samsung UBD-M8500
Samsung UN55HU8550 + SEK-4500/ZA | Samsung Soundbar HW-H550 | AppleTV 4K | DirecTV 4K RVU | Samsung UBD-K8500
post #39 of 49 Old 12-03-2019, 12:21 AM
Advanced Member

Oops, I thought you had the Q60R soundbar, actually a HW-Q60R to be specific.

I actually caught that when I made my original reply but just let it go - I didn't expect to get any replies because of that.

But then you replied and it sounded like you knew what I was talking about!

My neighbor has this little low-end soundbar but it has HDMI input. I wonder if his has DD+ too? I'll look into this...
post #40 of 49 Old 12-03-2019, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Oops, I thought you had the Q60R soundbar, actually a HW-Q60R to be specific.

I actually caught that when I made my original reply but just let it go - I didn't expect to get any replies because of that.

But then you replied and it sounded like you knew what I was talking about!

My neighbor has this little low-end soundbar but it has HDMI input. I wonder if his has DD+ too? I'll look into this...
That's okay, in your first post I thought you were talking about the TV since this is the LCD Flat Panels sub-forum. I'm not sure how widely supported DD+ is with sound bars since its really only necessary for Atmos. DD+ is not necessary for 5.1 audio and I would expect the Q60R soundbar to still be able to process audio from Netflix in 5.1. If there were an issue, it would more likely be with the source device not converting the DD+ bitstream to Dolby Digital which would be necessary for 5.1 audio with the Q60R sound bar. Although my KS8000 does not support DD+, it has no problem with Netflix and properly passes Dolby Digital to my AVR.

According to wikipedia "Dolby Digital Plus bitstreams are not directly backward compatible with legacy Dolby Digital decoders. However, Dolby Digital Plus is a functional superset of Dolby Digital, and decoders include a mandatory component that directly converts (without decoding and re-encoding) the Dolby Digital Plus bitstream to a Dolby Digital bitstream (operating at 640 kbit/s) for carriage via legacy S/PDIF connections (including S/PDIF over HDMI) to external decoders (e.g. AVRs, etc.). All Dolby Digital Plus decoders can decode Dolby Digital bitstreams."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Digital_Plus

Good luck with whatever you decide to purchase!

post #41 of 49 Old 12-03-2019, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman0725 View Post
That's okay, in your first post I thought you were talking about the TV since this is the LCD Flat Panels sub-forum. I'm not sure how widely supported DD+ is with sound bars since its really only necessary for Atmos. DD+ is not necessary for 5.1 audio and I would expect the Q60R soundbar to still be able to process audio from Netflix in 5.1. If there were an issue, it would more likely be with the source device not converting the DD+ bitstream to Dolby Digital which would be necessary for 5.1 audio with the Q60R sound bar. Although my KS8000 does not support DD+, it has no problem with Netflix and properly passes Dolby Digital to my AVR.

According to wikipedia "Dolby Digital Plus bitstreams are not directly backward compatible with legacy Dolby Digital decoders. However, Dolby Digital Plus is a functional superset of Dolby Digital, and decoders include a mandatory component that directly converts (without decoding and re-encoding) the Dolby Digital Plus bitstream to a Dolby Digital bitstream (operating at 640 kbit/s) for carriage via legacy S/PDIF connections (including S/PDIF over HDMI) to external decoders (e.g. AVRs, etc.). All Dolby Digital Plus decoders can decode Dolby Digital bitstreams."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Digital_Plus

Good luck with whatever you decide to purchase!
So your KS5000 does not support DD+ but you are able to get Netflix DD5.1 on you AVR. What is the connection: Optical or ARC?

LATEST: My old RCA RT2760 w/Optical input was doing terrible with my Hisense 4k Optical when I had selected "English (5.1)" from the Audio & Video Settings upper LH corner during a program. I set it to "English" and all of a sudden I got the volume I needed from the RCA making things a lot more watchable. I hooked up a quickie center channel and even better yet. I have a remote but can't find it, so ordered on from eBay so I can do the full speaker setup on the RCA.

QUESTION: When you get a DD5.1 signal at the AVR, does that "comandeer" the sound processing setting on the AVR? In other words, it takes control of the AVR and puts it in "5.1 mode" no matter how it was set previously? My H-K AVR-430 was like that. Don't know if the RCA is too since it is DD5.1 capable while there is no DD5.1 surround setting.
post #42 of 49 Old 12-03-2019, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
So your KS5000 does not support DD+ but you are able to get Netflix DD5.1 on you AVR. What is the connection: Optical or ARC?

LATEST: My old RCA RT2760 w/Optical input was doing terrible with my Hisense 4k Optical when I had selected "English (5.1)" from the Audio & Video Settings upper LH corner during a program. I set it to "English" and all of a sudden I got the volume I needed from the RCA making things a lot more watchable. I hooked up a quickie center channel and even better yet. I have a remote but can't find it, so ordered on from eBay so I can do the full speaker setup on the RCA.

QUESTION: When you get a DD5.1 signal at the AVR, does that "comandeer" the sound processing setting on the AVR? In other words, it takes control of the AVR and puts it in "5.1 mode" no matter how it was set previously? My H-K AVR-430 was like that. Don't know if the RCA is too since it is DD5.1 capable while there is no DD5.1 surround setting.

Correct. My KS8000 doesn’t support DD+ but my AVR reads Dolby Digital and when I use my AVR App it also shows me incoming signal is Dolby Digital 5.1 channels. I have it connected with HDMI ARC.

post #43 of 49 Old 12-03-2019, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hey folks just got my 75” Q80 and had two no questions.

1: can arc actually transmit atoms over hdmi to receiver? Debating if I should connect my Xbox one x directly to receiver and then not use arc at all or using the native built in Netflix app over arc would suffice?

2: when watching HDR content the picture brightness is extremely low and way to dark. I changed brightness to 5 and enabled contrast enhancer is this recommend? Any additional settings I should consider?

Thanks.
post #44 of 49 Old 12-03-2019, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldmastaflexx View Post
Hey folks just got my 75” Q80 and had two no questions.

1: can arc actually transmit atoms over hdmi to receiver? Debating if I should connect my Xbox one x directly to receiver and then not use arc at all or using the native built in Netflix app over arc would suffice?

2: when watching HDR content the picture brightness is extremely low and way to dark. I changed brightness to 5 and enabled contrast enhancer is this recommend? Any additional settings I should consider?

Thanks.

I assume you meant Q60, however if you purchased the Q80 there is a dedicated owners thread for that set as well.

1) Yes, Atmos is supported over ARC with the built-in apps and is sent with Dolby Digital Plus. I don’t have an Xbox but understand that it uses PCM MAT v2.0 for Atmos which I don’t think will work over ARC. Gaming features such as Auto low latency mode (ALLM) and FreeSync (Variable Refresh Rate) may require connecting your game system directly to the TV.

2) Whatever you prefer works and will vary based on how bright your room is. I personally like Contrast Enhancer on High and Brightness at 1 or 2 for HDR. You could also try increasing the Gamma slider in place of brightness.

goldmastaflexx likes this.

post #45 of 49 Old 12-03-2019, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman0725 View Post
I assume you meant Q60, however if you purchased the Q80 there is a dedicated owners thread for that set as well.

1) Yes, Atmos is supported over ARC with the built-in apps and is sent with Dolby Digital Plus. I don’t have an Xbox but understand that it uses PCM MAT v2.0 for Atmos which I don’t think will work over ARC. Gaming features such as Auto low latency mode (ALLM) and FreeSync (Variable Refresh Rate) may require connecting your game system directly to the TV.

2) Whatever you prefer works and will vary based on how bright your room is. I personally like Contrast Enhancer on High and Brightness at 1 or 2 for HDR. You could also try increasing the Gamma slider in place of brightness.

Thanks! I did purchase a q80 my bad for posting under the wrong thread.

I guess their is no advantage of using my Xbox one x or Apple TV 4K to stream when I can use the native Samsung built in apps.

musicman0725 likes this.
post #46 of 49 Old 12-03-2019, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldmastaflexx View Post
Thanks! I did purchase a q80 my bad for posting under the wrong thread.

I guess their is no advantage of using my Xbox one x or Apple TV 4K to stream when I can use the native Samsung built in apps.

That’s cool. Specifically to the Q80 for HDR content I would actually recommend Local Dimming on High and Contrast Enhancer on Low (Q60 doesn’t have Local Dimming which is why I have Contrast Enhancer on High for HDR). Personally I prefer the ATV 4K for streaming since it supports Atmos and apps get updated frequently. Right now the ATV 4K can get Atmos from Disney+, however I believe the Samsung version does not. Not sure if this has been corrected yet with the Samsung version.

goldmastaflexx likes this.

post #47 of 49 Old 12-04-2019, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a 43" Q6DR from Costco last week. I like the Samsung display and features, but the 43" screen was the biggest I could fit in my cabinet. It's OK because I have a small living room.

It took me a little while to get it connected to my system. I was replacing an older Sony XBR that I basically just used as a display. I looked for help here but didn't find "Q6DR" with a forum search, so I started my own thread:

http://https://www.avsforum.com/foru...on-issues.html

If someone can move that over here, I'd appreciate it. I'll follow this thread from now on.
post #48 of 49 Old 12-04-2019, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaffney2008 View Post
I bought a 43" Q6DR from Costco last week. I like the Samsung display and features, but the 43" screen was the biggest I could fit in my cabinet. It's OK because I have a small living room.

It took me a little while to get it connected to my system. I was replacing an older Sony XBR that I basically just used as a display. I looked for help here but didn't find "Q6DR" with a forum search, so I started my own thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...on-issues.html

If someone can move that over here, I'd appreciate it. I'll follow this thread from now on.
The link you posted didn't work, so I corrected it in my reply. Congrats on the new TV! The Q6DR is a variant of the Q60R, so this is the right thread. I have a 43" Q60R that fits perfectly where I need it and am really happy with it!

post #49 of 49 Old 12-05-2019, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Tomorrow I will be setting up my new 55" Q60 in the bedroom to replace my 8 year old Hitachi 1080p tv that still had a great picture. I also will be setting up the HW Q60 sound bar with the optional 2 rear surround speakers. Kind of overkill for the bedroom but should be great!

I have enjoyed reading this thread and it has reinforced my decision to purchase this tv. I particularly have appreciated the posts where folks talk about the settings and calibrations they are using.
musicman0725 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page