2019 Samsung Q60R Owner's Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 93Likes

post #61 of 253 Old 01-01-2020, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelHoss1 View Post
Aight I'm sold. I can't wait to try my Xbox One X with FreeSync, and I DO watch a lot of HDR these days.

Appreciate very much the feedback. Sending good thoughts your way!

No problem. Same to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WheelHoss1 likes this.

Samsung UN55KS8000 | Denon AVR-X4500H | AppleTV 4K | DirecTV HR54 + 4K RVU | Samsung UBD-M8500
Samsung UN55HU8550 + SEK-4500/ZA | Samsung Soundbar HW-H550 | AppleTV 4K | DirecTV 4K RVU | Samsung UBD-K8500
Samsung QN43Q60RA | AppleTV 4th Gen | DirecTV C41W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 253 Old 01-01-2020, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 85
So another question. Looking at Sound Bars for this set.

Leaning towards Sonos. Generally find products made by audio companies better than big companies (i.e. Samsung), though the Harmon Karden 60R bar is tempting. But I love my Chord Mojo, I love my Eddie Current Amp and ZMF Headphones, so I think I'll love a Sonos Bar with an eventual Sub upgrade.

I have heard the Beam has issues with Samsung products and that the Playbar works better. Playbar also reviews better for sound, and I am willing to spend more to get better sound, since I'm a musician and as I get older my eyes are less discerning but my ears seem to be more so (though less sensitive I'm sure).

1. Has anyone tried the Beam with the 60R and experienced the issues? Or not?
2. Has anyone heard the Beam vs. the Bar?

Thanks!!!

Q60R + XB1X + PS4 Pro
post #63 of 253 Old 01-02-2020, 01:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Light leak ?

It is normal that I see this kind of light leak on my 43 q60 ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	2662620   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	2662622   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	2662624   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200101_203314.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	2662626  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 253 Old 01-02-2020, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
So another question. Looking at Sound Bars for this set.

Leaning towards Sonos. Generally find products made by audio companies better than big companies (i.e. Samsung), though the Harmon Karden 60R bar is tempting. But I love my Chord Mojo, I love my Eddie Current Amp and ZMF Headphones, so I think I'll love a Sonos Bar with an eventual Sub upgrade.

I have heard the Beam has issues with Samsung products and that the Playbar works better. Playbar also reviews better for sound, and I am willing to spend more to get better sound, since I'm a musician and as I get older my eyes are less discerning but my ears seem to be more so (though less sensitive I'm sure).

1. Has anyone tried the Beam with the 60R and experienced the issues? Or not?

2. Has anyone heard the Beam vs. the Bar?

Thanks!!!

I don’t have experience with either of those sound bars but I wouldn’t see why you would have an issue with either one. The Q60R supports both HDMI ARC and optical digital output so either should work fine. I’d recommend going with the brand you prefer and what you think sounds better.

WheelHoss1 likes this.

Samsung UN55KS8000 | Denon AVR-X4500H | AppleTV 4K | DirecTV HR54 + 4K RVU | Samsung UBD-M8500
Samsung UN55HU8550 + SEK-4500/ZA | Samsung Soundbar HW-H550 | AppleTV 4K | DirecTV 4K RVU | Samsung UBD-K8500
post #65 of 253 Old 01-02-2020, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by licerna View Post
It is normal that I see this kind of light leak on my 43 q60 ?

Is that in a completely dark room or are lights on that are reflecting against the screen? Also what are your picture settings and is it better in some cases? I don’t see light bleed like that on my set. If you’re within the return window you can either exchange and if not you should still be within the manufacturer one-year warranty.

post #66 of 253 Old 01-03-2020, 08:49 AM

So thanks a lot to Musicman + Musician + all the other helpful folks on this site.

Thought my old set was worthless. Ending up selling the TV and Evo Kit for enough to get my new 60R for free! Unbelievable. Thought the old TV and Evo Kit were just going to get donated. Wow.

Good karma to everyone!

Question: What is "Motion Lighting" and should it be on or off for best image quality?

Edit: Figured it out. No to Motion Lighting of be PQ.
musicman0725 likes this.

Last edited by WheelHoss1; 01-03-2020 at 12:54 PM.
post #67 of 253 Old 01-03-2020, 02:26 PM

So first impressions . . .

Wow. Better than expected. Looked a tad cheap coming out of the box compared to my last two model's unboxing in the moment (HU8550, A650), which were both close to TOTL at the moment. But dang if I'm not still paying for those 2 purchases, if not literally, well, I can feel them in my soul (or feel the vast sink of depreciation—I have no regrets about purchasing my $5500 Froggy Bottom P-12 Deluxe guitar that now retails for $7800). The Q60R is decidedly workmanlike—the panel doesn't feel quite as premium as the 8550, and there is no aluminum or other luxury features.

But as soon as I fired it up, my worries were allayed. There is just . . . so much more there. UHD content looks so rich, I'm having to level up my eyes to take in all the detail. Sure, it doesn't have the 3D digital picture window effect to the same degree as the higher end models, but it's there.

The main thing I wanted to comment on right now is what an incredible time we are at for mid-fi equipment. I came to the same conclusion about the audio world after getting an Eddie Current amp from Drop.com for $400 that would have cost thousands years ago. Then there's Chi Fi.

I think the same thing is true with TVs. I paid $700 for this set on sale, paid over 5 months. That's $140 a month for a set that blows my mind, and I was able to sell my old set + evo kit to basically get the set for free (and I could have gotten more, but I HATE price gougers). It's costing me about $30 a month for 5 months to own the Q60R. That's one pizza from Papa's and an overpriced rental on the Xbox Movies app. Yea, it's a good time to be an enthusiast.
musicman0725 likes this.
post #68 of 253 Old 01-04-2020, 12:35 AM

One more query: I have an Xbox One X. It turned on Auto Low Latency snd Game Mode is now automatically turned on when I switch to the X.

But I use the X to stream a lot of 4K titles (at least I did—on my new set I can finally see how much better 4K content looks streamed from UHD Blu rays. Revenant is sick.).

Is there any way to Auto Game Mode function doesn’t turn on when I go to watch a movie instead of shoot Batman with Kylo Ren’s light saber dressed like Black Widow in Fortnite? 😏🙏🏼 Ideas???
post #69 of 253 Old 01-04-2020, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
One more query: I have an Xbox One X. It turned on Auto Low Latency snd Game Mode is now automatically turned on when I switch to the X.

But I use the X to stream a lot of 4K titles (at least I did—on my new set I can finally see how much better 4K content looks streamed from UHD Blu rays. Revenant is sick.).

Is there any way to Auto Game Mode function doesn’t turn on when I go to watch a movie instead of shoot Batman with Kylo Ren’s light saber dressed like Black Widow in Fortnite? Ideas???

Not sure if you can stop it from turning on automatically. You’d probably want it on more than off anyways. Check out settings -> General -> external device manager -> game mode settings and poke around. The Samsung apps are actually really good on this model (they feel very similar to the version on my ATV4K) so you could always use the internal apps to stream 4K content if disabling game mode gets annoying. You can add the apps you like to the home menu so they are convenient to get to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
WheelHoss1 likes this.

post #70 of 253 Old 01-04-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman0725 View Post
Not sure if you can stop it from turning on automatically. You’d probably want it on more than off anyways. Check out settings -> General -> external device manager -> game mode settings and poke around. The Samsung apps are actually really good on this model (they feel very similar to the version on my ATV4K) so you could always use the internal apps to stream 4K content if disabling game mode gets annoying. You can add the apps you like to the home menu so they are convenient to get to.

Cool. Appreciate it. Really just an issue for Movies & TV App on Xbox One X where I have a bunch of UHD Movies purchased. Now that I have the new set, though, I can see that my UHD discs look best, so I will be going disc-only going forward. So no, not a big deal to turn it off just for that app.

Another question: If Game Mode says Auto, how do I know if it's ON or OFF? Like when I turned on my PS4 Pro to play a game, it said Auto, but I couldn't tell if low latency mode was enable or not. Thanks!
musicman0725 likes this.
post #71 of 253 Old 01-04-2020, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Cool. Appreciate it. Really just an issue for Movies & TV App on Xbox One X where I have a bunch of UHD Movies purchased. Now that I have the new set, though, I can see that my UHD discs look best, so I will be going disc-only going forward. So no, not a big deal to turn it off just for that app.

Another question: If Game Mode says Auto, how do I know if it's ON or OFF? Like when I turned on my PS4 Pro to play a game, it said Auto, but I couldn't tell if low latency mode was enable or not. Thanks!

That’s cool. You could use movies anywhere to connect your Microsoft account to other providers so that you can watch your purchased content on other apps like Vudu or the AppleTV app. If you use Vudu I’ve noticed that the app is initially set to playback quality of HDX instead of UHD in settings (I seemingly forget to switch this every time I get a new device and wonder why I don’t get Atmos audio or HDR).

When game mode is set to Auto, ALLM should be enabled. Not sure how to tell when it kicks in but it will be greyed out when it’s not supported. I believe the Xbox (and probably also PS4) have a setting that needs to be enabled as well under video-output/video modes called allow auto low latency. You can see the information about a source such as resolution, frame rate, hdr, etc by clicking again on the source input in your home menu (if you add it there) or clicking sources and selecting it again.

WheelHoss1 likes this.

post #72 of 253 Old 01-04-2020, 10:23 AM

Cool. I'll try Movies Anywhere and link my account.

So what is the consensus on how close 4K streaming is to discs at this point with improved broadband rates etc?
musicman0725 likes this.

Q60R + XB1X + PS4 Pro
post #73 of 253 Old 01-04-2020, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Cool. I'll try Movies Anywhere and link my account.

So what is the consensus on how close 4K streaming is to discs at this point with improved broadband rates etc?

Personally I think 4K streaming is great and watch most content that way because it’s convenient. Quality wise 4K streaming is very good but UHD discs are still a little better. Streaming has lossy atmos where disc has lossless audio. UHD discs also have higher bitrate. However, iTunes is updating content for free from HD to 4K HDR which looks better than my old blu-rays. Also some content is only being upgraded now on digital.

WheelHoss1 likes this.

post #74 of 253 Old 01-04-2020, 03:33 PM

Just wanted to mention that I agree with previous comments about the negative reviews of this set's HDR capabilities being overblown. There is a reason why Fitzgerald advised us to write for the critics of the next generation (and the schoolmasters of ever-after). I guess if I sat in a room watching HDR on the Q60R with the 8K TOTL set right beside it, sure, the Q would probably look a tad underwhelming.

But coming from someone who has been watching HDR on the 8550 with the Evo Kit for the last few years, I'm blown away. Watching Last Blood right now and had to pause to say how incredible it looks. 8550 was HDR Light. This is real HDR. 8K is HDR+.

Also, thanks for the advice about Movies Anywhere. Now I don't have to turn on the X every time I want to stream. Plus, I'm moving soon, and eventually the 60R will go in the bedroom (when I get a glorious 8K set—maybe). So glad to know I can access all of its potential without any accoutrements. Good stuff!
musicman0725 likes this.
post #75 of 253 Old 01-05-2020, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
The Q6DR is the Costco variant of the Q60R. My understanding is that they are basically the same. Rtings mentions it as a variant of the Q60R in their review and does not have a separate review for that set. Costco has done this in past years as well (Sam’s club and other locations may also carry the Q6DR in place of the Q60R).

I have been told by a local vendor that the Q6DR is slightly better then the Q60R because of better "micro dimming"

I've researched the samsung website for detailed specs and the Q6DR has the "Ultimate UHD Dimming" vs the Q60R "Supreme UHD Dimming"

Anyone knows how much of a difference that makes?

thanks
post #76 of 253 Old 01-05-2020, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Just wanted to mention that I agree with previous comments about the negative reviews of this set's HDR capabilities being overblown. There is a reason why Fitzgerald advised us to write for the critics of the next generation (and the schoolmasters of ever-after). I guess if I sat in a room watching HDR on the Q60R with the 8K TOTL set right beside it, sure, the Q would probably look a tad underwhelming.

But coming from someone who has been watching HDR on the 8550 with the Evo Kit for the last few years, I'm blown away. Watching Last Blood right now and had to pause to say how incredible it looks. 8550 was HDR Light. This is real HDR. 8K is HDR+.

Also, thanks for the advice about Movies Anywhere. Now I don't have to turn on the X every time I want to stream. Plus, I'm moving soon, and eventually the 60R will go in the bedroom (when I get a glorious 8K set—maybe). So glad to know I can access all of its potential without any accoutrements. Good stuff!

Agreed! I am very happy with this set and how good it looks. The upscaling engine is the same Quantum AI engine used in the 8K set and upscaling looks better than my 2016 and 2014 UHD Samsung sets. I was expecting it to not have as good black levels because those sets have local dimming but that is not the case at all. It is plenty bright and HDR content is vibrant and colorful. The Q60R is an awesome set and I’m glad I got it. Glad you found movies anywhere helpful. I really like it and the flexibility it brings.

post #77 of 253 Old 01-05-2020, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe Gagnon View Post
I have been told by a local vendor that the Q6DR is slightly better then the Q60R because of better "micro dimming"

I've researched the samsung website for detailed specs and the Q6DR has the "Ultimate UHD Dimming" vs the Q60R "Supreme UHD Dimming"

Anyone knows how much of a difference that makes?

thanks

On the rtings review I linked in the first post they mention it is a variant and basically the same except for the speakers. See the bottom section Difference between sizes and variants.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q60-q60r-qled

The Q6DR also comes with a manufacturer 5 year warranty. It is sold at the same exact price (across different vendors) as the Q60R. Vendors that sell the Q6DR in the US also sell the Q7DR which is more expensive. Ultimate UHD Dimming is what is listed for the Q70R on Samsung’s website which is FALD and has local dimming unlike the Q60R that is edge lit and lacks local dimming. I didn’t find what you found about dimming on the specs as all it says on their website is Quantum HDR 4X (which is what the Q60R also has):

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/o...tv-q6dr-series

Please post what you found in the specs. Also, maybe the local vendor will let you take a look at the set and it’s features. The biggest complaint people have about the Q60R and RU8000 is that local dimming was removed this year (2018 models had local dimming). Since the sets are edge lit it hasn’t made much of a difference in my opinion.

post #78 of 253 Old 01-05-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
On the rtings review I linked in the first post they mention it is a variant and basically the same except for the speakers. See the bottom section Difference between sizes and variants.

The Q6DR also comes with a manufacturer 5 year warranty. It is sold at the same exact price (across different vendors) as the Q60R. Vendors that sell the Q6DR in the US also sell the Q7DR which is more expensive. Ultimate UHD Dimming is what is listed for the Q70R on Samsung’s website which is FALD and has local dimming unlike the Q60R that is edge lit and lacks local dimming. I didn’t find what you found about dimming on the specs as all it says on their website is Quantum HDR 4X (which is what the Q60R also has):

Please post what you found in the specs. Also, maybe the local vendor will let you take a look at the set and it’s features. The biggest complaint people have about the Q60R and RU8000 is that local dimming was removed this year (2018 models had local dimming). Since the sets are edge lit it hasn’t made much of a difference in my opinion.

cannot post link yet .. not enough posts...

I'm getting specs from the samsung support section by entering the model number QN65Q6 or QN65Q60

then you have to scroll and click on "see full specs"... and look under "Micro Dimming"

The Q6DR has "ultimate" like the Q70 series but the Q60R only has "supreme"
post #79 of 253 Old 01-05-2020, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
cannot post link yet .. not enough posts...

I'm getting specs from the samsung support section by entering the model number QN65Q6 or QN65Q60

then you have to scroll and click on "see full specs"... and look under "Micro Dimming"

The Q6DR has "ultimate" like the Q70 series but the Q60R only has "supreme"

Didn’t see that in the link I posted earlier. I’m looking at the US site. What region are you in? In the US both the Q60R and Q6DR are supposed to be equivalent. The big difference between the Q70R (FALD) and Q60R (Edge lit without local dimming) is the dimming technology so I don’t think the Q6DR would have the same dimming tech as the Q70R. Maybe your vendor will let you check out the Q6DR more closely to help with your decision.

post #80 of 253 Old 01-05-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Didn’t see that in the link I posted earlier. I’m looking at the US site. What region are you in? In the US both the Q60R and Q6DR are supposed to be equivalent. The big difference between the Q70R (FALD) and Q60R (Edge lit without local dimming) is the dimming technology so I don’t think the Q6DR would have the same dimming tech as the Q70R. Maybe your vendor will let you check out the Q6DR more closely to help with your decision.

I'm from canada, that could explain the difference on the samsung site.

Here is the full copy from Q60R, Q6D and Q70R for reference from what I get from CAN on the Samsung Support/spec page

Q60R;

Picture Engine:
Quantum Processor 4K
Motion Rate:
HDR (High Dynamic Range):
Quantum HDR 4x
HDR 10+:
Yes
HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma):
Yes
Contrast:
Mega Contrast
Color:
Color Volume 100%
Viewing Angle:
Wide Viewing Angle
Micro Dimming:
Supreme UHD Dimming

Contrast Enhancer:
Yes
Auto Motion Plus:
Yes
Film Mode:
Yes
Natural Mode Support:
Yes

Q6DR:

Picture Engine:
Quantum Processor 4K
Motion Rate:
Quantum HDR 4X
HDR 10+:
Yes
Contrast:
Mega Contrast
HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma):
Yes
Color:
Color Volume 100% by Quantum Dot
Viewing Angle:
Wide Viewing Angle
Micro Dimming:
Ultimate UHD Dimming

Local Dimming:
N/A
Auto Depth Enhancer:
N/A
Contrast Enhancer:
Yes
Auto Motion Plus:
Yes
Film Mode:
Yes
Natural Mode Support:
Yes

Q70R;

Picture Engine:
Quantum Processor 4K
Motion Rate:
Quantum HDR 8x
HDR 10+:
Yes
HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma):
Yes
Contrast:
Direct Full Array 4x
Color:
Color Volume 100% by Quantum Dot
Viewing Angle:
Wide Viewing Angle
Micro Dimming:
Ultimate UHD Dimming

Local Dimming:
Direct Full Array
Contrast Enhancer:
Yes
Auto Motion Plus:
Yes
Film Mode:
Yes
Natural Mode Support:
Yes

The shop I went had both model side by side and honestly it was hard to tell the difference. The salesman told me the Q6DR had better angle because of the better dimming but it was hard to tell in the shop. I didn't know about the warranty but you are right, 5 year vs 1 year seems like a good reseat to go with the 6DR.
musicman0725 likes this.
post #81 of 253 Old 01-05-2020, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm from canada, that could explain the difference on the samsung site.

Here is the full copy from Q60R, Q6D and Q70R for reference from what I get from CAN on the Samsung Support/spec page

Spoiler!

The shop I went had both model side by side and honestly it was hard to tell the difference. The salesman told me the Q6DR had better angle because of the better dimming but it was hard to tell in the shop. I didn't know about the warranty but you are right, 5 year vs 1 year seems like a good reseat to go with the 6DR.

Thanks for providing the info. Yeah the 5-year warranty is definitely a good reason to go with the Q6DR over the Q60R. The specs still say local dimming N/A for the Q6DR which makes me think that it was probably just an error in the spec information and the dimming tech is more like the Q60R rather than the Q70R which is FALD. Anyways, I think you’ll be very happy with the set. Let us know if you have any questions after you get it. I posted my picture settings earlier in the thread which have worked very well for both SDR and 4K HDR content.

Last edited by musicman0725; 01-05-2020 at 06:37 PM.
post #82 of 253 Old 01-05-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks for providing the info. Yeah the 5-year warranty is definitely a good reason to go with the Q6DR over the Q60R. The specs still say local dimming N/A for the Q6DR which makes me think that it was probably just an error in the spec information and the dimming tech is more like the Q60R rather than the Q70R which is FALD. Anyways, I think you’ll be very happy with the set. Let us know if you have any questions after you get it. I posted my picture settings earlier in the thread which have worked very well for both SDR and 4K HDR content.

Thanks for your input musicman, I pulled the trigger on a 65 inch Q6DR and it's coming my way Thursday! Thanks for pointing me out your settings, I will for sur try them out! Is the TV explicit about how to set separates settings values for HDR- and non HDR content? I'm upgrading from a 55 vizio 2016 4k non-HDR set that is going to the basement

Also for reference a french article translated I found here too mention the difference between the dimming thing (60R vs 6DR). Very weird from Samsung to make things so hard to find/read about.

https://translate.google.ca/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fmaisonadam .ca%2Fconseils-d-experts%2Fpost%2Ftest-samsung-qled-4k-hdr-q60-des-televiseurs-milieu-de-gamme-passe-partout
musicman0725 likes this.
post #83 of 253 Old 01-05-2020, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks for your input musicman, I pulled the trigger on a 65 inch Q6DR and it's coming my way Thursday! Thanks for pointing me out your settings, I will for sur try them out! Is the TV explicit about how to set separates settings values for HDR- and non HDR content? I'm upgrading from a 55 vizio 2016 4k non-HDR set that is going to the basement

Also for reference a french article translated I found here too mention the difference between the dimming thing (60R vs 6DR). Very weird from Samsung to make things so hard to find/read about.

https://translate.google.ca/translat...-passe-partout

Great find! Sounds like there is a difference with the dimming technology of the Q6DR variant despite what rtings states (not sure if they ever tested the Q6DR since it is sold at warehouses in the US for the same price as the Q60R and is thought to be the same). One thing I noticed on the Samsung US support site is that they say Series: Q65 instead of Q60. Let us know how the set is after it arrives.

To answer your question, yes there is a specific picture mode for when HDR kicks in. You will want to play HDR content and then customize your picture settings which will be saved for whenever HDR content is played. When playing SDR content, you can also save changes to the same picture mode which do not carry over to HDR content.

WheelHoss1 likes this.

post #84 of 253 Old 01-05-2020, 08:15 PM

Ok so another issue. I guess I don't totally understand the way audio works through HDMI.

I plan on getting a Sonos Beam sound bar that supports Dolby Digital. The Beam will connect to my TV's HDMI 4 ARC input. Obviously the Q60R outputs Dolby Digital no problem. I want to make sure I play my games in Dolby not stereo.

My confusion is about the Audio Out selection option for the Xbox One X in the menu. The only option I can choose is Stereo Uncompressed. Is this separate from the audio that the TV is getting from the HDMI? How do I ensure the I am sending a 5.1 signal and not a stereo signal from my Xbox? Like is the Dolby signal automatically there as part of the HDMI? I'm trying to get an answer from Xbox forums, too, but no luck so far ...

Q60R + XB1X + PS4 Pro
post #85 of 253 Old 01-05-2020, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ok so another issue. I guess I don't totally understand the way audio works through HDMI.

I plan on getting a Sonos Beam sound bar that supports Dolby Digital. The Beam will connect to my TV's HDMI 4 ARC input. Obviously the Q60R outputs Dolby Digital no problem. I want to make sure I play my games in Dolby not stereo.

My confusion is about the Audio Out selection option for the Xbox One X in the menu. The only option I can choose is Stereo Uncompressed. Is this separate from the audio that the TV is getting from the HDMI? How do I ensure the I am sending a 5.1 signal and not a stereo signal from my Xbox? Like is the Dolby signal automatically there as part of the HDMI? I'm trying to get an answer from Xbox forums, too, but no luck so far ...

Using HDMI ARC you’ll want to change the Xbox sound to output bitstream Dolby Digital. Uncompressed PCM will only output as 2 channel stereo over HDMI ARC. You will also want to make sure the sound settings on the TV are set to output Dolby digital instead of PCM to your sound bar.

WheelHoss1 likes this.

post #86 of 253 Old 01-06-2020, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Using HDMI ARC you’ll want to change the Xbox sound to output bitstream Dolby Digital. Uncompressed PCM will only output as 2 channel stereo over HDMI ARC. You will also want to make sure the sound settings on the TV are set to output Dolby digital instead of PCM to your sound bar.

Thanks. Still a bit confused.

1. Why does Uncompressed PCM only output as 2 channel stereo over HDMI ARC? That's bad, right?

2. I'm hearing the Beam can't do pass-through. So someone else is also recommending Bitstream Dolby Digital, which is not lossless, right? Is this my best option?

3. When I plug in the Beam and the Xbox does the HDMI handshake and sees the Beam selected as the TV's audio and that it has Dolby, this should all be clearer, right?

4. What is the best option for sending sound to the Q60R without the Beam? Does the Q60R do Dolby, or is Stereo Uncompressed the best option until I get the Beam. I can't tell because the sound is pretty damn good from the Q60R and things seem to come from all directions. I guess that's just a wide stereo field?

Sorry for all the questions but this is SO helpful. Feel like I'm finally getting rid of the black cloud around everything.
post #87 of 253 Old 01-06-2020, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks. Still a bit confused.

1. Why does Uncompressed PCM only output as 2 channel stereo over HDMI ARC? That's bad, right?

2. I'm hearing the Beam can't do pass-through. So someone else is also recommending Bitstream Dolby Digital, which is not lossless, right? Is this my best option?

3. When I plug in the Beam and the Xbox does the HDMI handshake and sees the Beam selected as the TV's audio and that it has Dolby, this should all be clearer, right?

4. What is the best option for sending sound to the Q60R without the Beam? Does the Q60R do Dolby, or is Stereo Uncompressed the best option until I get the Beam. I can't tell because the sound is pretty damn good from the Q60R and things seem to come from all directions. I guess that's just a wide stereo field?

Sorry for all the questions but this is SO helpful. Feel like I'm finally getting rid of the black cloud around everything.

HDMI ARC only supports 2 channel PCM, otherwise audio needs to be compressed in Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital+.

Dolby Digital is not lossless but it is your best option as it is multi-channel and also is most often the source audio format anyways. When you see audio being sent as PCM all that means is that another component in your video chain decoded the audio codec be it lossless Dolby TrueHD on a blu-ray or more likely lossy Dolby digital. Also Dolby TrueHD is required to have a Dolby Digital layer so you should always be able to get Dolby digital from a lossless source. When you pass the audio as bitstream it is basically passing it as is down the chain so that another device can decode it.

The Q60R supports both Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus and can pass that to your sound bar over ARC so you should be set. Until you have a sound bar, doesn’t really matter if you are passing the stereo uncompressed. Eventually though you will want to change it to Dolby Digital for better audio quality. With the TVs internal speakers I don’t think it matters what you send but Dolby Digital might sound better and since the TV can decode it you might as well give it a try.

WheelHoss1 likes this.

Last edited by musicman0725; 01-06-2020 at 07:02 PM.
post #88 of 253 Old 01-06-2020, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Updated first post with information on the Q6DR provided by @Philippe Gagnon . Thank you pointing this out!

post #89 of 253 Old 01-10-2020, 05:18 PM

65'' Q6DR is up on the wall. Wow what a nice set for the price. I'm using nearly all suggested musicman settings and pretty much all content is incredible.

The only ''issue'' I have is with ARC. I have everything routed in my AVR : TV-BOX HDMI-*-- Yamaha AVR HDMI -- samsung TV. Only one hdmi cable is going to the TV (input 4)

The TV default to TV SPeakers when watching the cable box and I have to set it back to HDMI output so I get sound from the receiver. It seems to loose that setting everytime I shut down the TV

ARC otherwise work as expected (dolby + 5.1 sound when using built in netflix app)
musicman0725 likes this.
post #90 of 253 Old 01-10-2020, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
65'' Q6DR is up on the wall. Wow what a nice set for the price. I'm using nearly all suggested musicman settings and pretty much all content is incredible.

The only ''issue'' I have is with ARC. I have everything routed in my AVR : TV-BOX HDMI-*-- Yamaha AVR HDMI -- samsung TV. Only one hdmi cable is going to the TV (input 4)

The TV default to TV SPeakers when watching the cable box and I have to set it back to HDMI output so I get sound from the receiver. It seems to loose that setting everytime I shut down the TV

ARC otherwise work as expected (dolby + 5.1 sound when using built in netflix app)

Glad to hear the picture settings are working out for you! Sounds like others are also impressed with this set. I did notice improvements with HDR content and suspect the TV has improved since it was reviewed.

ARC can sometimes be problematic (not specifically with this set but in general). One thing you can try is to make sure you power on your cable box first. This should send a power on signal over HDMI CEC and all of the devices should know what input is in use. Unfortunately it doesn’t always work as expected. I have my receiver (Denon) connected to my KS8000 on HDMI 4 (ARC) the same way you do and typically don’t have many issues. I also use a harmony remote which helps. Not sure what settings Yamaha has but with my Denon I can leave ARC enabled and also disable the auto input switching. I don’t have issues with that so I leave the auto input switching enabled but the option is there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page