2019 Samsung Q60R Owner's Thread - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 93Likes

post #241 of 256 Old 02-14-2020, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman0725 View Post
There is an audio delay setting that you can use if you are using optical output and notice lip-sync issues. Hopefully Samsung releases a firmware update to correct this soon. Do you know if this is impacting other TV apps?
Haven't tried optical with Sammy only with my previous TV setups, but it wasn't happening all the time. So if i adjusted something and another time/day/source was ok
then i had to reset the lipsync adjustment. Anyway so far i hooked up my BD player (has Netflix) directly to TV and i have the 4K Upscaling that i couldn't have beacause of my A/V (nothing much),
UHD deep color (nothing much again) and on Netflix i have again a Dolby Digital output! Will try again with the TV's native Netflix app on a newer firmware release.
musicman0725 likes this.

Samsung QE49Q60R, Sony BDP-S480, Sony BDP-S6700, Pioneer VSX-521, DUAL 505-2, Yamaha YST-SW315, Various 5.1 speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 256 Old 02-14-2020, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I have the Vizio 5.1.2 soundbar which is great but plagued with some issues (better now after several firmware updates and with the Q60R vs my old Sony) but there was some noticeable lip sync issues going through arc. Apparently the soundbar itself has its own issues with lip synch along with the lip synch issue the TV has and I’ve found that changing the output delay at 50 ( the default was set at 100) has it pretty darn close to where I don’t think I have an issue anymore. There are some YouTube vids you can play for lip synch that can help you tune it in that app. That’s what I used to confirm that it’s much better.
post #243 of 256 Old 02-14-2020, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
There is an audio delay setting that you can use if you are using optical output and notice lip-sync issues. Hopefully Samsung releases a firmware update to correct this soon. Do you know if this is impacting other TV apps?

Yea, the difference between SD and HD is very noticeable. I also think the AI upscaling engine is at its best with 1080p source material. One thing I was playing with last night while watching some 4K HDR content was switching between Native and Auto color space (in movie mode). I noticed Native seems a little more colorful and with HDR content it didn't seem oversaturated. I know Auto is supposed to be more accurate but with HDR they are very close to begin with. I then bumped gamma up (went back and forth between 0, +1 and +2 to see the impact). Still leaving contrast enhancer at high (too bad there isn't a medium). This is the closest I've gotten HDR content to pop on this set the same way it does on my KS8000.
It's weird how Samsung seemed to take a step backward in brightness this year. I almost bought the KS8000, but compromised and went with the KU6300 instead. It's been a good TV. It doesn't have the KS8000's PQ but for HD it does alright.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 256 Old 02-14-2020, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movieslug View Post
It's weird how Samsung seemed to take a step backward in brightness this year. I almost bought the KS8000, but compromised and went with the KU6300 instead. It's been a good TV. It doesn't have the KS8000's PQ but for HD it does alright.

Yeah, it is weird that the sets aren’t as bright. The KS8000 is a great set and the quantum dots really help the color and brightness. With HD and SDR material the Q60R is great. I think with some tweaks to settings I’ve also been able to get the Q60R looking really good with HDR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samsung UN55KS8000 | Denon AVR-X4500H | AppleTV 4K | DirecTV HR54 + 4K RVU | Samsung UBD-M8500
Samsung UN55HU8550 + SEK-4500/ZA | Samsung Soundbar HW-H550 | AppleTV 4K | DirecTV 4K RVU | Samsung UBD-K8500
Samsung QN43Q60RA | AppleTV 4th Gen | DirecTV C41W
post #245 of 256 Old 02-15-2020, 05:43 AM

I changed things around last night for SD viewing. The stutter was driving me nuts. I switched back to outputting 1080p from the player. Left the TV settings pretty much alone, except putting Judder reduction back to 3. I have LED clear motion on, which grays out Blur reduction. I had Judder up to 8 trying to cut down the stutter, but even with SOE getting bad, the stutter was still there. With 1080p going to the TV, there is no stutter.

I stayed with Movie mode, definitely better for SD, and have the Darbee off with a little detail enhancement and smoothing from the Iscan Mini.

It looks pretty good this way and it's easy to change back for HD. Some of my old DVDs, like the Lethal Weapon series I'm watching now, I'm not going to upgrade to Bluray. Being able to watch these films on the large theater display with what is now pretty decent PQ is satisfying. Like going to an old theater for classic film night.

I will double my efforts at replacing my favorite DVDs with Bluray. I just ordered 5 more Blurays from eBay and Amazon. The DVDs I'll sell on eBay to pass them on and recoup a little of the cost.

I prefer physical media to streaming. My brother has his entire film collection in the cloud, including some of the HD films I've loaned him for uploading. I can access his library if I want to. I still like dropping a disc in the player. Old fashioned i guess. Heck, 6 years ago, I was still watching VHS. Now I'm an HT snob. 😁
musicman0725 likes this.
post #246 of 256 Old 02-15-2020, 11:33 AM

I figured out an easy way of securing the 82" TV upright for transport. The box is exactly 48" tall. The same as a pallet. I have pallets on hand. I'll stand the box in the truck bed atop a sheet of plywood, fasten a pallet to the plywood on each side of the box and strap it down.

I also found out that I'm not so good at reading instructions. I was thinking that it would be so much easier to remove the box from the tv rather than removing the TV from the box. Sliding the Q60 out the box top was a pita. Today I actually read the instructions on the box. That's what the black plastic pieces are for. Now that I know, it will be much easier next time.
musicman0725 likes this.
post #247 of 256 Old 02-15-2020, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I figured out an easy way of securing the 82" TV upright for transport. The box is exactly 48" tall. The same as a pallet. I have pallets on hand. I'll stand the box in the truck bed atop a sheet of plywood, fasten a pallet to the plywood on each side of the box and strap it down.

I also found out that I'm not so good at reading instructions. I was thinking that it would be so much easier to remove the box from the tv rather than removing the TV from the box. Sliding the Q60 out the box top was a pita. Today I actually read the instructions on the box. That's what the black plastic pieces are for. Now that I know, it will be much easier next time.

Nice! Good luck with that. When are you supposed to pick it up again? I’m excited for your review since you’ve become very familiar with the Q60R. Setting up the Q70 should be a breeze.

I noticed with the instructions that they recommend removing it differently from the box depending on size. Also they recommend a different number of people to lift it up depending on size. I’d expect the Q70 to be a bit heavier as the Q60 is using what Samsung calls their “slim design” and the FALD on the Q70 will make it weigh more.

Samsung UN55KS8000 | Denon AVR-X4500H | AppleTV 4K | DirecTV HR54 + 4K RVU | Samsung UBD-M8500
Samsung UN55HU8550 + SEK-4500/ZA | Samsung Soundbar HW-H550 | AppleTV 4K | DirecTV 4K RVU | Samsung UBD-K8500
post #248 of 256 Old 02-16-2020, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Anyone know if it’s possible to turn off volume display for the tv? I have it hooked up to a soundbar and would like it not to show up.
post #249 of 256 Old 02-16-2020, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssavell View Post
Anyone know if it’s possible to turn off volume display for the tv? I have it hooked up to a soundbar and would like it not to show up.

Not that I’m aware of if you’re using HDMI ARC which is necessary for Dolby Digital Plus / Atmos support (if you need it). I think with optical you will not see an indicator on the display as long as you are using the soundbar remote. If you program the TV remote to control your soundbar because you are using optical, I think you will only see an indicator when you raise the volume with the TV remote. Not sure what the capabilities are of your soundbar and if you’d be sacrificing anything by using optical. I think HDMI ARC also has auto lip sync where with optical you may have to tweak the audio delay setting.

post #250 of 256 Old 02-17-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Nice! Good luck with that. When are you supposed to pick it up again? I’m excited for your review since you’ve become very familiar with the Q60R. Setting up the Q70 should be a breeze.

I noticed with the instructions that they recommend removing it differently from the box depending on size. Also they recommend a different number of people to lift it up depending on size. I’d expect the Q70 to be a bit heavier as the Q60 is using what Samsung calls their “slim design” and the FALD on the Q70 will make it weigh more.

I'm picking up the Q70 on Saturday. I hope the weather is good. This weekend was yuck, cold and wet. I have a tarp to cover the box if needed. I'll look at Samsung's site to see if the Q70 is heavier. The Q60 is no picnic at 105lbs. The instructions on the box show 4 people lifting the set from the styrofoam base support. My daughter and I did it, with great effort, by ourselves. And we did it the stupid way. I plan to have one other man there for the task. My wife and daughter will be on hand, though neither express any interest in helping with the TV.

I'm certainly anxious to get the new display up and running. The Q60 has been great. I did notice the flashlighting much more in Movie mode than in Dynamic. Maybe due to the difference in contrast? I'm going to go back and recheck all my settings to see if there is anything I'm doing to cause the flashlighting to erupt like that. Yesterday I watched two films in SD and found that I was able to get pretty decent image quality in Dynamic mode with much less flashlighting. I suppose it depends somewhat on the quality of the DVD transfer. Newer DVDs seems to have better processing than older discs.

EDIT: According the Samung's specs page, the Q70R is in fact 9.5lbs lighter than the Q60R. 95.5lbs vs 105lbs. Very strange. Would not have expected that.
musicman0725 likes this.

Last edited by Movieslug; 02-17-2020 at 08:58 AM.
post #251 of 256 Old 02-17-2020, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Guys i need your opinion
I have ks8500 49" and i was thinking to get 65" Q60R but iam afraid to find the PQ inferior to the ks8500 specially in color quality in both SDR and HDR

What do you think can they compare and will it be better to wait for the q60t and q70T with the new dual lead?
post #252 of 256 Old 02-17-2020, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm certainly anxious to get the new display up and running. The Q60 has been great. I did notice the flashlighting much more in Movie mode than in Dynamic. Maybe due to the difference in contrast? I'm going to go back and recheck all my settings to see if there is anything I'm doing to cause the flashlighting to erupt like that. Yesterday I watched two films in SD and found that I was able to get pretty decent image quality in Dynamic mode with much less flashlighting. I suppose it depends somewhat on the quality of the DVD transfer. Newer DVDs seems to have better processing than older discs.
Interesting, I would expect with the backlight cranked up to max, dynamic mode would have worse flashlighting. I remember you were using LED clear motion. Do you notice it more with LED clear motion enabled or disabled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohamad G View Post
Guys i need your opinion
I have ks8500 49" and i was thinking to get 65" Q60R but iam afraid to find the PQ inferior to the ks8500 specially in color quality in both SDR and HDR

What do you think can they compare and will it be better to wait for the q60t and q70T with the new dual lead?
I have the KS8000 and probably the key differences are lack of local dimming and lack of anti-reflection technology (Samsung calls this Ultra Black and it is only on the Q80R in 2019). The Q60R actually does surprisingly well despite this, but it will depend on your room conditions. AI upscaling is superior to the upscaling engine on the KS8000. Also, the OS is much more refined and has improved significantly. I've always preferred using movie mode on my TVs and like watching most content in that mode. I set color space to auto on the KS8000 for HDR content and the colors are brilliant. I've noticed that to bring out the quantum dot colors on the Q60R, setting color space with HDR content to Native and bumping gamma up +2 really seems to help make the picture more like my KS8000. The Q60T will be a step down from the Q60R with lower motion rate and fewer HDMI ports. Not sure how the dual LED will perform, but it sounds interesting. Q70R is FALD where Q70T will be edge lit with dual led.

Last edited by musicman0725; 02-17-2020 at 01:55 PM.
post #253 of 256 Old 02-17-2020, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Quote:
Interesting, I would expect with the backlight cranked up to max, dynamic mode would have worse flashlighting. I remember you were using LED clear motion. Do you notice it more with LED clear motion enabled or disabled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohamad G View Post
Guys i need your opinion

I have the KS8000 and probably the key differences are lack of local dimming and lack of anti-reflection technology (Samsung calls this Ultra Black and it is only on the Q80R in 2019). The Q60R actually does surprisingly well despite this, but it will depend on your room conditions. AI upscaling is superior to the upscaling engine on the KS8000. Also, the OS is much more refined and has improved significantly. I've always preferred using movie mode on my TVs and like watching most content in that mode. I set color space to auto on the KS8000 for HDR content and the colors are brilliant. I've noticed that to bring out the quantum dot colors on the Q60R, setting color space with HDR content to Native and bumping gamma up +2 really seems to help make the picture more like my KS8000. The Q60T will be a step down from the Q60R with lower motion rate and fewer HDMI ports. Not sure how the dual LED will perform, but it sounds interesting. Q70R is FALD where Q70T will be edge lit with dual led.
Thanks man for your feedback, i also use the ks8500 with the movie mode and color to auto except lately am using a HDR+ settings from fhe ks8000 owners thread

My room condition is that i always watch at total dark room
musicman0725 likes this.
post #254 of 256 Old 02-17-2020, 10:30 PM

When using Dynamic mode, I turn the backlight down to 20 or 25. I'm using the panel in a dark theater, so much less light is needed. I like dynamic as it seems to boost contrast, including deeper black level. The flashlighting on this set is obviously abnormally severe for this model. I'm sure that movie mode doesn't generally cause light bleed.

I haven't been using LED clear motion with 1080p input. I was trying it with 480p to help with stutter. Since going back to 1080p from the player, I've been using the same motion settings I use with HD.
post #255 of 256 Old Yesterday, 11:12 AM

Quote:
When using Dynamic mode, I turn the backlight down to 20 or 25. I'm using the panel in a dark theater, so much less light is needed. I like dynamic as it seems to boost contrast, including deeper black level. The flashlighting on this set is obviously abnormally severe for this model. I'm sure that movie mode doesn't generally cause light bleed.

I haven't been using LED clear motion with 1080p input. I was trying it with 480p to help with stutter. Since going back to 1080p from the player, I've been using the same motion settings I use with HD.
I'm glad I bought a new Samsung this year. Of course, I was not even considering the QLED originally. I was looking at either the RU7100 or RU8000 until I visited Video Only and was offered a great financing package along with amazing prices. I'll end up with the Q70R 82" which is more display than I ever thought I would have.

Unfortunately, the Q70T will not be FALD, in fact even the top 4K "T" models will have no more dimming zones than the Q70R. The Q60T and Q70T will have dual LED and may have upgraded processors, so I won't condemn them from the little that I know now. It does seem though as if Samsung is shifting focus from 4K to 8K and pulling the best features from all but their 8K sets.

Of course, if you like the Q70R, you can buy the Q80T, which will have roughly the same FALD and dimming zone count. It sounds like the Q70T is more like the Q60R.

Sorry, I know this off topic, but I thought it might be interesting to anyone considering a new Samsung. Right now, as the last of the "R" models are being cleared out, looks like a good time to buy.

Last edited by Movieslug; Yesterday at 11:17 AM.
post #256 of 256 Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm glad I bought a new Samsung this year. Of course, I was not even considering the QLED originally. I was looking at either the RU7100 or RU8000 until I visited Video Only and was offered a great financing package along with amazing prices. I'll end up with the Q70R 82" which is more display than I ever thought I would have.

Unfortunately, the Q70T will not be FALD, in fact even the top 4K "T" models will have no more dimming zones than the Q70R. The Q60T and Q70T will have dual LED and may have upgraded processors, so I won't condemn them from the little that I know now. It does seem though as if Samsung is shifting focus from 4K to 8K and pulling the best features from all but their 8K sets.

Of course, if you like the Q70R, you can buy the Q80T, which will have roughly the same FALD and dimming zone count. It sounds like the Q70T is more like the Q60R.

Sorry, I know this off topic, but I thought it might be interesting to anyone considering a new Samsung. Right now, as the last of the "R" models are being cleared out, looks like a good time to buy.

Yeah the decision is interesting. It looks like the list price for the 2020 T models is about what the 2019 R models are going for while on sale. Maybe a step up will be cheaper once the T models are discounted. Not sure how dual led will perform but I’ve heard favorable things about it. Also, like you said if processing algorithms are improved there could be an improvement. This article from John Archer at Forbes is a good summary and he has been updating it...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc...ed-and-priced/

He says the following about dual LED in regards to the Q70T:

“I’ve seen a short demonstration of Dual LED in action alongside one of Samsung’s standard 2019 edge-lit LED TVs, and the Dual LED technology really did appear to deliver a substantial improvement in picture quality – especially when it came to contrast and reduced screen reflections. Samsung seems to have been able to add Dual LED technology without significantly ramping up the pricing from last year’s equivalent Q60Rs.”

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page