AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   LCD Flat Panel Displays (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/)
-   -   2019 Samsung Q60R Owner's Thread (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/3102660-2019-samsung-q60r-owners-thread.html)

musicman0725 11-16-2019 08:04 AM

2019 Samsung Q60R Owner's Thread
 
Decided to start a thread for this years entry level QLED. With black friday right around the corner, figured others may also pick one up. Generally more impressed with this set than I thought I would be despite it lacking local dimming. Colors look great and contrast is surprisingly good right out of the box with few adjustments.

Specs from Samsung's site:

Design
Backlighting: Ultra Slim Array
Design: New Edge
Bezel Width: SNB
Slim Type: Slim
Color: CHARCOAL BLACK
Stand Type: (Color)SIMPLE
4K Ultra HD Connected: Yes
Dimming Technology: Supreme UHD Dimming
Style: Flat Panel
TV Type: QLED

Video
Resolution: 3,840 x 2,160
Motion Rate: 240
Color: 100% Color Volume with Quantum Dot
HDR (High-Dynamic Range): Quantum HDR 4X
Picture Engine: Quantum Processor 4K
Quantum Dot Color: Yes

Official Specs: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/o...tv-q60r-series
Rtings Review: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q60-q60r-qled

Samsung Q6DR Variant
As noted by rtings towards the end of their Q60R review a variant of the Q60R, the Q6DR, was introduced as part of the 2019 lineup. It is currently sold in the US at warehouse clubs (i.e. Sam's Club and Costco) and includes a 5-year manufacturer warranty instead of the standard 1-year warranty.

Additionally, as noted on the Canadian Samsung website (as well as Costco's website in the US), the micro dimming technology on this set matches the micro dimming technology used on the Q70R (Ultimate UHD Dimming) rather than the Q60R (Supreme UHD Dimming). Like the Q60R, local dimming is listed as N/A for the Q6DR variant.

https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/model/QN65Q6DRAFXZC/

For more information see posts 82 and 83 which have a link to a review comparing the Q60R to the Q6DR.

Shadowed 11-20-2019 03:18 PM

Is this the same as the Q6DR ?

Mike Harrison 11-20-2019 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowed (Post 58850116)
Is this the same as the Q6DR ?


im looking for the Q6dr owner thread as well,.

musicman0725 11-20-2019 06:43 PM

2019 Samsung Q60R Owner's Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowed (Post 58850116)
Is this the same as the Q6DR ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Harrison (Post 58850532)
im looking for the Q6dr owner thread as well,.

The Q6DR is the Costco variant of the Q60R. My understanding is that they are basically the same. Rtings mentions it as a variant of the Q60R in their review and does not have a separate review for that set. Costco has done this in past years as well (Sam’s club and other locations may also carry the Q6DR in place of the Q60R).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Extreme 11-20-2019 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman0725 (Post 58850940)
The Q6DR is the Costco variant of the Q60R. My understanding is that they are basically the same. Rtings mentions it as a variant of the Q60R in their review and does not have a separate review for that set. Costco has done this in past years as well (Sam’s club and other locations may also carry the Q6DR in place of the Q60R).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ok thank you as the q6dr here in canada is sold at visions,bestbuy,costco ect , all the big box stores
:)

Extreme 11-20-2019 07:40 PM

aside from that is there an official owners thread on here for these sets ? , as this one were on currentlly has no 0 replies ,

musicman0725 11-20-2019 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Extreme (Post 58851150)
aside from that is there an official owners thread on here for these sets ? , as this one were on currentlly has no 0 replies ,



I recently created this thread because when I searched, I found that this was the only QLED without an owners thread (Q70, Q80 etc, all had an owners thread created around when the 2019 TVs were released earlier this year).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shadowed 11-20-2019 08:31 PM

Ok, I will be getting the 82" tomorrow. I was told this would be a better gaming display than the 85-850g. Main use will be gaming first and movies second filling in for a 126" projector/screen that suck for gaming.

musicman0725 11-20-2019 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowed (Post 58851332)
Ok, I will be getting the 82" tomorrow. I was told this would be a better gaming display than the 85-850g. Main use will be gaming first and movies second filling in for a 126" projector/screen that suck for gaming.



I haven’t tried gaming on it but it has an excellent score for input lag (equivalent to the other 2019 QLEDs and higher than the 950g). Also supports Auto Low Latency Mode and Freesync variable refresh rate (for screens above 49”).


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jim McC 11-20-2019 09:24 PM

I'm thinking of buying the 75" from Costco, and was hoping someone can answer a few questions.

1) Is there blooming or a glow around subtitles?

2) How are the black levels in a dark room ?

3) How will DVDs look ?

4) How will 720p and 1080i programming from our antenna look ?

Thanks for any info about this TV.

musicman0725 11-21-2019 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim McC (Post 58851486)
I'm thinking of buying the 75" from Costco, and was hoping someone can answer a few questions.



1) Is there blooming or a glow around subtitles?



2) How are the black levels in a dark room ?



3) How will DVDs look ?



4) How will 720p and 1080i programming from our antenna look ?



Thanks for any info about this TV.


1) Subtitles

I don’t recall noticing a blooming or glow around subtitles but I don’t watch content with them very often. I know enabling local dimming can cause this to happen on some sets, however this set doesn’t have local dimming.

2) Black levels

Black levels look great on my set and better than I was expecting.

3) How will DVDs look?

Haven’t tried watching any

4) How will 720p/1080i content look?

DirecTV looks great. This shares the same upscaling engine (Quantum AI) as the 8K Q900.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim McC 11-21-2019 11:30 AM

Thank you very much !

Has anyone compared this TV to the TCL 75R615 ?

musicman0725 11-21-2019 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim McC (Post 58853690)
Thank you very much !



Has anyone compared this TV to the TCL 75R615 ?



Generally speaking the Samsung is better for gaming (better response times and Freesync). TCL is brighter and better for HDR (and also has Dolby Vision). Native contrast ratio on the Q60 is better than the TCL even after accounting for local dimming on the TCL. Q60 also scored very high pre-calibration (with calibration they would be about the same).

In terms of HDR, I was able to get good brightness across a number of 2019 sets that don’t have local dimming (Q60R and RU8000). For HDR content I use Movie mode, enable contrast enhancer for HDR material (set to High) and increase brightness to 2 out of 5.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim McC 11-21-2019 09:16 PM

Thanks

musicman0725 11-23-2019 11:42 AM

Costco is currently including a 5-year warranty with the Q6DR.

Jim McC 11-23-2019 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman0725 (Post 58862452)
Costco is currently including a 5-year warranty with the Q6DR.

I saw that. I thought it was through Samsung though.

musicman0725 11-23-2019 02:12 PM

Interesting video review of the differences between the Q60R and Q70R. Did not expect brightness to be better on the Q60R, however, the addition of local dimming and a lack of zones seemed to negatively impact the Q70R in the specific test that was run.


musicman0725 11-23-2019 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim McC (Post 58863132)
I saw that. I thought it was through Samsung though.

You're right. Costco lists the information in green on their website which made it look like a promotion. Looking at the manual, this model comes with a standard manufacturer 5-year warranty. The Q60R comes with a standard 1-year manufacturer warranty. Doesn't appear that all models sold by Costco carry a 5-year warranty. For instance, the RU800D (the equivalent of the RU8000) comes with a 3-year manufacturer warranty.

Jim McC 11-23-2019 10:20 PM

Do you Samsung owners find it a big deal that their TVs don't support Dolby Vision ?

musicman0725 11-24-2019 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim McC (Post 58864830)
Do you Samsung owners find it a big deal that their TVs don't support Dolby Vision ?


No, I don’t. The displays they sell (especially the higher end ones) wouldn’t really benefit much from it. Dolby Vision is very useful for projectors and OLED screens that may have difficulty following the HDR curve. It dynamically maps the HDR grade back to SDR scene by scene and using dynamic metadata the display device can decide what is best based on its capabilities. HDR10 is an open standard while DV is proprietary. Samsung backs HDR10+ which is also an open standard that adds dynamic metadata similar to Dolby Vision.

If you’re curious about HDR, I think you’ll find the article below interesting.

https://www.mysterybox.us/blog/2016/...erms-explained

One other thing is that there are not a ton of UHD discs that support DV and all are required to support HDR10. DV seems to be prominent in the streaming space. The ATV4K will actually map DV content to HDR10 for displays like Samsungs that only support HDR. That content looks very good on my 2016 KS8000.




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jim McC 11-24-2019 04:27 PM

Thanks

musicman0725 11-27-2019 02:46 PM

New firmware posted in the US (version 1335.0)

http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.co.../T-MSMAKUC.zip

de8212 11-27-2019 07:34 PM

Just got from best buy with a 55" Q60r.

Out of the box this TV looks great. I haven't adjusted any settings yet but would like to see what others use.

de8212 11-27-2019 08:59 PM

I can't figure out how to change channels on my direct TV box with the Samsung remote. If I go under Source and scroll to the right for Universal Remote. It shows Directtv. No real options to check for channel changing. I can edit the source or delete it.
Even the voice thing doesn't respond when I say what channel. It displays what I say but doesn't change. And the on screen also let's me input a channel but never changes.
Anyone know how to get the Samsung remote to change channels ?

musicman0725 11-27-2019 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by de8212 (Post 58884628)
I can't figure out how to change channels on my direct TV box with the Samsung remote. If I go under Source and scroll to the right for Universal Remote. It shows Directtv. No real options to check for channel changing. I can edit the source or delete it.

Even the voice thing doesn't respond when I say what channel. It displays what I say but doesn't change. And the on screen also let's me input a channel but never changes.

Anyone know how to get the Samsung remote to change channels ?



Clicking channel up/down will chance the channel with the Samsung remote. Clicking on the channel button will bring up the DirecTV guide.

Also, if you go to the sources menu and click up above the source you can add the source to your home screen. Once on your home screen you will then have a ton of options when you hover over the source.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...2a59f7cbc5.jpg


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

musicman0725 11-27-2019 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by de8212 (Post 58884316)
Just got from best buy with a 55" Q60r.



Out of the box this TV looks great. I haven't adjusted any settings yet but would like to see what others use.



Congrats on the new TV! I really like movie mode and made a few adjustments. I disabled all eco settings (General —> Eco Solution). Also disabled Adaptive Brightness under Intelligent Mode settings.

In movie mode I’m using the following:

Backlight: 25 (adjust to room preference - HDR 50)
Brightness: 0 (HDR 1 or 2)
Contrast: 45 (HDR 50)
Sharpness: 0
Color: 25
Tint: 0
Digital Clean View: Auto

Auto Motion Plus: Custom
Blur Reduction: 10 (on 55” or larger set)
Judder Reduction: 3

Contrast Enhancer: Low (HDR High)
Color Tone: Warm 2
Gamma: 2.2 (HDR ST. 2084 - 0)
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color Space Settings: Auto



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

de8212 11-27-2019 09:53 PM

thanks musicman. gonna have to tinker with this more tomorrow. ill try your settings.

Jim McC 11-28-2019 12:24 AM

I read a lot of reviews that say the Q60 is too dim while using HDR. Is that correct ? I'm considering the Q60 and Q70 ? Are you guys happy with the black levels ?

Thanks.

de8212 11-28-2019 03:31 AM

I probably won't be able to answer like others but I will say that I went to YouTube and typed in hdr 4k and saw alot of videos . I watched a few and they looked incredible to me. Other than that i have no experience with hdr. Is it typically on discs like Blu ray ? If so, I don't think ill ever have anything like that connected to this TV. Its mainly used for DirecTV (until I can cancel ) and occasional Netflix.

musicman0725 11-28-2019 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim McC (Post 58885022)
I read a lot of reviews that say the Q60 is too dim while using HDR. Is that correct ? I'm considering the Q60 and Q70 ? Are you guys happy with the black levels ?



Thanks.


If you had asked me a few weeks ago I would have said Q70 all the way with FALD. That would have been based on reviews instead of actual usage. It’s possible firmware updates have improved things since the initial reviews and that’s why I haven’t noticed any issues with HDR content (rtings did go back and increase their nits measurements by about 100nits after one of the firmware updates however the text in the review didn’t change).

I’ve watched a lot of HDR content since getting this set and this TV looks great. I don’t think it’s too dim if you watch HDR in movie mode as long as you make a couple adjustments (mainly using the Contrast Enhancer setting).

The Q70 will be better for HDR with the FALD screen, however, it will also have the blooming effects on subtitles that you had asked about earlier. I posted a video comparison earlier in this thread and they looked very similar to me. I would recommend looking at both in the store to see if you think the difference in price is worth it to you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by de8212 (Post 58885262)
I probably won't be able to answer like others but I will say that I went to YouTube and typed in hdr 4k and saw alot of videos . I watched a few and they looked incredible to me. Other than that i have no experience with hdr. Is it typically on discs like Blu ray ? If so, I don't think ill ever have anything like that connected to this TV. Its mainly used for DirecTV (until I can cancel ) and occasional Netflix.


Netflix has 4K HDR content if you upgrade to the $15.99 plan with 4 streams. Disney+ and ATV+ also have it.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.