Sony 900f vs Vizio P Quantum X? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By goldicon12
  • 1 Post By yogi6807
  • 1 Post By GoLaLakers
  • 1 Post By yogi6807

post #1 of 24 Old 11-17-2019, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sony 900f vs Vizio P Quantum X?

I’m planning on picking up one of the units this month to replace my 7 year old Panny plasma but would like some real world impressions. I’ve read reviews and have done some research, but am torn. Any real world input you could provide? I don’t have extreme viewing angles. The room is a brighter living room with windows. TV is sadly positioned above a corner fireplace (wife won’t let me relocate the tv).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 11-17-2019, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 23
might as well go with a westinghouse since the tv is above the fireplace
TwayneP and zeekle like this.
post #3 of 24 Old 11-17-2019, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by qposner View Post
I’m planning on picking up one of the units this month to replace my 7 year old Panny plasma but would like some real world impressions. I’ve read reviews and have done some research, but am torn. Any real world input you could provide? I don’t have extreme viewing angles. The room is a brighter living room with windows. TV is sadly positioned above a corner fireplace (wife won’t let me relocate the tv).
I wasn’t impressed at all when I saw a 900f. So get the Vizio. People will swear by the 900f but it’s blacks are definitely more gray than the Vizio. Like my cheap lcd I bought previously.
Vizio Is also the only tv that has both hdr10+ and Dolby vision.

Last edited by yogi6807; 11-17-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 11-17-2019, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
The Sony has what, 1/10th the local dimming zones of the PQX?

I would take the Vizio M over the x900, I would unquestionably takr the PQX over the x900f.

Have you had a chance to check them out at Bestbuy?
post #5 of 24 Old 11-17-2019, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Recon View Post

I would take the Vizio M over the x900, I would unquestionably takr the PQX over the x900f.

Gonna jump in here since I am in similar decision-mode. I’d love to look at the PQX at best buy and compare with x900f. But Best Buy doesn’t have the PQX on display. Only the PQ. Costco of course has the PQX but not a 900f or 950g. It’s a bit frustrating.

Of the horror stories I read in the pqx owners thread, I’m surprised by the initial responses in this thread. Following.
post #6 of 24 Old 11-17-2019, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What size are u looking for and what is the breakdown on what u will use that TV for? Mostly cable/satellite, streaming, gaming?

Samsung 60F8500 Plasma
Samsung 51F300B Plasma
Panasonic 42PX80 Plasma
post #7 of 24 Old 11-17-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakster View Post
Quote:

Gonna jump in here since I am in similar decision-mode. I’️d love to look at the PQX at best buy and compare with x900f. But Best Buy doesn’️t have the PQX on display. Only the PQ. Costco of course has the PQX but not a 900f or 950g. It’️s a bit frustrating.

Of the horror stories I read in the pqx owners thread, I’️m surprised by the initial responses in this thread. Following.
It’s a pretty clear difference. They shouldn’t have to be next to each other. If you can’t immediately see it, you will probably be just as well off with a cheaper tv than the 900. There is always a panel lottery with any tv you buy.
lucacow likes this.
post #8 of 24 Old 11-17-2019, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Ive seen the PQX at Costco but havent yet run to BB for the 900. Thinking of doing it today. 100% of viewing will be through an Roku Ultra or perhaps an Apple TV 4K. Right now using YouTube TV, Netflix, and HBO GO primarily. Occasional movie rentals through Vudu.
post #9 of 24 Old 11-17-2019, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, and likely the 75.
post #10 of 24 Old 11-17-2019, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Lucky for you, I have both.
The PX75 has significant vertical banding issues but once you get used to the clarity, brightness, and contrast, you will think the X900F is VERY dull.

For that reason, I'm continuing my quest for a perfect PX75 and returning my X900F.

PX75 wins.
post #11 of 24 Old 11-17-2019, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach9 View Post
Lucky for you, I have both.
The PX75 has significant vertical banding issues but once you get used to the clarity, brightness, and contrast, you will think the X900F is VERY dull.

For that reason, I'm continuing my quest for a perfect PX75 and returning my X900F.

PX75 wins.
Thanks for chiming in!
post #12 of 24 Old 11-17-2019, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Have u considered a Samsung q70r?

Samsung 60F8500 Plasma
Samsung 51F300B Plasma
Panasonic 42PX80 Plasma
post #13 of 24 Old 11-17-2019, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 129
If motion and video processing is important to you than the Sony should be your choice.

PQ is really up for interpretation.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
post #14 of 24 Old 11-18-2019, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi6807 View Post
It’s a pretty clear difference. They shouldn’t have to be next to each other. If you can’t immediately see it, you will probably be just as well off with a cheaper tv than the 900. There is always a panel lottery with any tv you buy.
I'd say it's a pretty clear difference between one or the other in comparison to TVs right next to them that are a step down. I would not say it is a pretty clear difference between each other when you are looking at them in entirely different environments at different times with only your fading memory as a guide.

I had considered the PQX early on and then kind of discounted it due to it's handling of SD. I am currently using a Vizio M60 (2015) and regular DVDs are almost unwatchable (not that I watch them much...or at all, anymore). And cable was...okay. But I am reminding myself that I am using cable anymore and that 98% of content will be coming through ATV4K. Netflix, Hulu, Disney+ and Prime (may get rid of Netflix). The rare occasional BD would be the other 2%.

With Costco having good BF deal for the PQX maybe I should give it a shot since return would be very easy if I don't like. However they are also having a great deal on LG B9 OLED which has me thinking as well.
post #15 of 24 Old 11-18-2019, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I recently upgraded my Samsung Plasma with the Vizio Quantum X. Overall it's a great set. Only complaints are the viewing angles can't match the plasma (or OLED), and content from Direct TV in 720P (ESPN) does not look the best. But 1080I/P content look great, and anything streaming over Netflix/Amazon/Disney+ look outstanding. Another great thing about the set is the TV gets really bright. The Sony 900f is 1+ year set, so if you want to look at the Vizio competition you need to look at the Sony 950 or any OLED.
snakster likes this.
post #16 of 24 Old 11-18-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakster View Post
Quote:
It’️s a pretty clear difference. They shouldn’️t have to be next to each other. If you can’️t immediately see it, you will probably be just as well off with a cheaper tv than the 900. There is always a panel lottery with any tv you buy.
I'd say it's a pretty clear difference between one or the other in comparison to TVs right next to them that are a step down. I would not say it is a pretty clear difference between each other when you are looking at them in entirely different environments at different times with only your fading memory as a guide.

I had considered the PQX early on and then kind of discounted it due to it's handling of SD. I am currently using a Vizio M60 (2015) and regular DVDs are almost unwatchable (not that I watch them much...or at all, anymore). And cable was...okay. But I am reminding myself that I am using cable anymore and that 98% of content will be coming through ATV4K. Netflix, Hulu, Disney+ and Prime (may get rid of Netflix). The rare occasional BD would be the other 2%.

With Costco having good BF deal for the PQX maybe I should give it a shot since return would be very easy if I don't like. However they are also having a great deal on LG B9 OLED which has me thinking as well.
Well if an oled is in your price range get the oled. I have the lg 65 b7a and it upscales directv pretty well so I’m assuming the b9 being a 2 year upgrade should do it even better. Except for fox no processor can fix fox 🙂
snakster likes this.

Last edited by yogi6807; 11-18-2019 at 09:08 AM.
post #17 of 24 Old 11-18-2019, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

OLED is interesting but I’m concerned about burn in from the Roku app tiles. My plasma has some burn in from it.
post #18 of 24 Old 11-18-2019, 05:05 PM

Well only you can make that decision. You know your viewing habits. But you might want to switch from Roku so you can get Dolby vision if you aren’t going to use the apps on the the tv. Since both TVs you are looking at are Dolby vision. Or you could get a Dolby vision Roku tv.

Last edited by yogi6807; 11-18-2019 at 05:10 PM.
post #19 of 24 Old 11-18-2019, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well only you can make that decision. You know your viewing habits. But you might want to switch from Roku so you can get Dolby vision if you aren’t going to use the apps on the the tv. Since both TVs you are looking at are Dolby vision. Or you could get a Dolby vision Roku tv.
You mean a TCL? I haven’t seen one that compares picture wise. If they had one that was comparable, my wife would love it.
post #20 of 24 Old 11-18-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:
You mean a TCL? I haven’t seen one that compares picture wise. If they had one that was comparable, my wife would love it.
Can’t help you out on that one. None of my friends have a tcl. Stick with a Roku ultra to keep the wife happy. You can always buy a cheap fire tv 4K on sale for Dolby vision.

Last edited by yogi6807; 11-18-2019 at 06:12 PM.
post #21 of 24 Old 11-18-2019, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Can’t help you out on that one. None of my friends have a tcl. Stick with a Roku ultra to keep the wife happy. You can always buy a cheap fire tv 4K on sale for Dolby vision.
I don’t think Roku Ultra has Dolby vision. Perhaps an excuse for an ATV4K!
post #22 of 24 Old 11-18-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Sounds like a plan! I have two of those and my family loves them!
post #23 of 24 Old 11-18-2019, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I'll jump in also. Replacing a 2014 Vizio P series. Getting tired of the slight banding that only seems to bother me, when watching hockey.

I can tell you first hand if you are buying the tv for it's smart features, don't. They will stop supporting it in a couple years. At least that's what Vizio did. Luckily it didn't use the smart features. The Sony might be different, based on Android tv.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #24 of 24 Old 11-18-2019, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:

Correct. Roku Ultra can do HDR10 only, not DV nor HDR10+.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page