Gloss screen better picture quality? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 11-18-2019, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Gloss screen better picture quality?

Do glossy screens provide better picture quality? I know many prefer the rougher matte screens to avoid reflections but does this diminish picture quality?

I was walking around best buy yesterday and all the Oleds which come with the glossy screen looked very polished and vivid. Not only in dark scenes but scenes with a lot of light had that polished look. The Lcd's with matte screens looked a little rougher in comparison.

I feel like the gloss screen provides better picture quality at the expense of reflections. Am I wrong here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-18-2019, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Yes, but only in certain circumstances. The clearer the screen the sharper the picture, but it's very subtle.

What you're seeing is mostly due to the OLED technology. It's far superior to LCD, but if you look at a high end LCD with a glossy screen, it will tend to look clearer and better.

Matte screens are bad, and look like there has been wax paper pulled over the screen. The best middle ground is a semi-gloos, which most LCDs go for.
post #3 of 17 Old 11-18-2019, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwayneP View Post
Yes, but only in certain circumstances. The clearer the screen the sharper the picture, but it's very subtle.

What you're seeing is mostly due to the OLED technology. It's far superior to LCD, but if you look at a high end LCD with a glossy screen, it will tend to look clearer and better.

Matte screens are bad, and look like there has been wax paper pulled over the screen. The best middle ground is a semi-gloos, which most LCDs go for.

I agree it was subtle but once you notice, it was hard not to notice anymore. The gloss looked polished while the non glossy looked lightly sanded.

It seems like all the lcd's were like this. Is there a high end lcd with a glossy screen I could compare to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 11-19-2019, 05:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Liked: 334
How about reflections, especially in bright rooms?? Big difference there. A 'sharp' pix is mostly worthless if reflections kill the viewing.

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #5 of 17 Old 11-19-2019, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by KD8118 View Post
I agree it was subtle but once you notice, it was hard not to notice anymore. The gloss looked polished while the non glossy looked lightly sanded.

It seems like all the lcd's were like this. Is there a high end lcd with a glossy screen I could compare to?
Some higher-end LCDs with glossy screens - Samsung Q80R and Q90R, Vizio P Series Quantum X.
post #6 of 17 Old 11-19-2019, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked: 3067
Glossy and matte screens have different sets of pros and cons. Neither is perfect for all people in all situations. Which one is best for anyone depends on their viewing environment and personal preferences. The best judge of which one has the pros you most value and the cons you can most easily tolerate is your own eyes. Comparison viewing in a big box store with bright industrial lighting can be misleading unless you have a similar viewing environment at home. The best case scenario would be to comparison view in an AV showroom environment similar to your home viewing environment. For example, after much reading on the subject and comparison viewing I ended up concluding that the clarity of glossy during reference viewing at night where reflections were at a minimum was most important to me.
post #7 of 17 Old 11-19-2019, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
How about reflections, especially in bright rooms?? Big difference there. A 'sharp' pix is mostly worthless if reflections kill the viewing.

Glossy screen would be bad for situations you cant control the light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
Some higher-end LCDs with glossy screens - Samsung Q80R and Q90R, Vizio P Series Quantum X.

I was actually comparing to these models, The oleds all had significantly glossier screens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Glossy and matte screens have different sets of pros and cons. Neither is perfect for all people in all situations. Which one is best for anyone depends on their viewing environment and personal preferences. The best judge of which one has the pros you most value and the cons you can most easily tolerate is your own eyes. Comparison viewing in a big box store with bright industrial lighting can be misleading unless you have a similar viewing environment at home. The best case scenario would be to comparison view in an AV showroom environment similar to your home viewing environment. For example, after much reading on the subject and comparison viewing I ended up concluding that the clarity of glossy during reference viewing at night where reflections were at a minimum was most important to me.

I would say the very glossy screens provide the best picture if your rooms situation can handle it.
post #8 of 17 Old 11-19-2019, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Glossy/crystal clear screens are best used in light controlled situations, like home theaters. Picture enthusiasts are more likely to choose glossy, because they will be in a darkened room.
post #9 of 17 Old 11-19-2019, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was actually comparing to these models, The oleds all had significantly glossier screens.
Maybe, but they are glossy in LCD terms and you can't get better "color pop" than on a Samsung glossy "QLED". Major manufacturers do not use "matte" screens these days, they are semi-gloss. My Samsung "QLED" LCD has a glossy screen, while my NU6900 has a semi-gloss screen. It's very easy to see the difference.

The top performing LCDs in terms of anti-reflective performance are the glossy Samsung Q90R and Q80R. Rtings says: "The glossy finish greatly diminishes direct reflections, and it offers the best reflection performance we've seen based on a side-by-side comparison."

If you like the OLED glossy screen, just get one and be done with it.
post #10 of 17 Old 11-19-2019, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
There also "intermediate" glossy like on TCL screens !

TCL 4 Series 50" / 6 Series 65"
post #11 of 17 Old 11-19-2019, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Maybe, but they are glossy in LCD terms and you can't get better "color pop" than on a Samsung glossy "QLED". Major manufacturers do not use "matte" screens these days, they are semi-gloss. My Samsung "QLED" LCD has a glossy screen, while my NU6900 has a semi-gloss screen. It's very easy to see the difference.

The top performing LCDs in terms of anti-reflective performance are the glossy Samsung Q90R and Q80R. Rtings says: "The glossy finish greatly diminishes direct reflections, and it offers the best reflection performance we've seen based on a side-by-side comparison."

If you like the OLED glossy screen, just get one and be done with it.

Love Oled picture but wouldn't get one yet. I wish there was a very high end lcd with a screen just as glossy so I can make a direct comparison to see how much the difference matters.
post #12 of 17 Old 11-19-2019, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdT586 View Post
There also "intermediate" glossy like on TCL screens !
TCL screens are semi-gloss, just like Sony and mid and low end Samsung.
post #13 of 17 Old 11-19-2019, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Love Oled picture but wouldn't get one yet. I wish there was a very high end lcd with a screen just as glossy so I can make a direct comparison to see how much the difference matters.
If you love it, why not get an OLED now? Prices for the LG 55" and 65" are comparable to top of the line Samsung and Sony LCDs.
post #14 of 17 Old 11-19-2019, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If you love it, why not get an OLED now? Prices for the LG 55" and 65" are comparable to top of the line Samsung and Sony LCDs.

I almost bought one out of impulse about 2 weeks ago. They had 1 leftover 65 inch C8 for about 1,500 at BJ's new in the box. I dont want to re litigate the debate but fear of burn in is the reason I would not get one. I thought it over and I assessed for that price it would start making sense and I should have picked it up. Even if I got a few years out of it that low price justifies it.
post #15 of 17 Old 11-19-2019, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 40
To correct a bunch of misinformation here. Higher end glossy displays come with a multicoat that reduces reflections without diffusing glare. This is why the reflections often look blueish with the TV off. They can further reduce reflections by reducing interleaving gaps between the lcd and the glass. They don't blue reflections, they just darken them. Without the coating, the tvs would be very reflective. Going towards the anti glare semi matte displays, this is done using textured materials that you can see if you step up close to the screen. They do add a bit of noise/dappling to the image but it is usually not visible from viewing distance. They do diffuse reflections however and so from the point of the viewer, they can show slightly elevated black levels from light sources in the room getting diffused across the screen. The idea is that reflections that are not sharp (like a mirror of yourself on the screen) are easier to overlook as the brain will focus on the sharp image on the screen, overlooking the reflection.
post #16 of 17 Old 11-19-2019, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I almost bought one out of impulse about 2 weeks ago. They had 1 leftover 65 inch C8 for about 1,500 at BJ's new in the box. I dont want to re litigate the debate but fear of burn in is the reason I would not get one. I thought it over and I assessed for that price it would start making sense and I should have picked it up. Even if I got a few years out of it that low price justifies it.
Yes, maybe you should have gone for it. While burn in can certainly happen, you have do something like watch CNN for many hours a day or play the same game all the time and then leave the TV on to bring it on. So it is preventable. I have a Panasonic plasma with 30,000 hours on it and there's no sign of even the slightest burn in anywhere on the screen. But I'm not a news junkie and didn't ever game on the TV, just used it for varied content on many different channels and watched Blu-ray movies on occasion. If you do that with an OLED, you'll be fine. The only situation I would recommend against getting an OLED is for a very bright family room. You don't want to constantly run an OLED at a high brightness level as the pixels do age and become dimmer over time (especially blue subpixels).
post #17 of 17 Old 11-19-2019, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 12807 Post(s)
Liked: 12151
I actually hate the anti glare coating on my 82Q90.it as too much purple in the tint and has a very hazy look. My 75Q9FN had a much blacker/glossier panel with decent anti glare. I also have a C8 oled and I love the inky black gloss look it has. Though I keep it in a room with no windows. I prefer the middle ground that the Q9FN had.

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page