Odd horizontal color "dithering" on replacement IPS panel - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 11-19-2019, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Odd horizontal color "dithering" on replacement IPS panel

Okay, so a couple of months ago I decided to replace the terrible 768p TN panel in my ASUS laptop with a much better IPS 1080p panel, and it looks great, except for one slight detail. With some colors, notably orange and cyan hues, there's these weird horizontal lines that are usually a lighter color than displayed. It's as if the panel can't recreate the color properly so it uses 2 similar colors in the hopes that our eyes will blend them together so for a shade of blue, it's have the dominant color then a sliver of the color highlighted. It isn't really dithering per se, just solid lines. Not terribly noticeable, but can be a bit jarring, depending on what you are looking at. I tried to get a photo explaining what I'm seeing, but my camera phone just doesn't do the best job at capturing it. You can see what I'm talking about in the image below.

Anyone seen this from an IPS panel before? I know that it's likely related to it being more than likely a 6 bit panel. Anything I can do to remedy/mitigate this? Could it potentially be a compatibility issue with my model of laptop? I can't think of a reason why that would be other than some odd bios display firmware voodoo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191119_162141.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	962.9 KB
ID:	2643208  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
ips , laptop

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version