Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #1 of 53 Old 11-19-2019, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Going Crazy

Long time fan and information gather from this site, many useful topics and info. I’m currently renovating my finished basement and upgrading my Sony x900 65 inch. I mainly use TV for sports, news shows and movies. I’m not going OLED and have narrowed my choices down to Samsung Q90r and Sony x950... both would be in the 75 inch. After reading many many many posts I’m leaning toward the Sony because of the motion handling for sports. Any input or advice is greatly appreciated. As soon as I think I have it decided I read something that sways me. thanks to all in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 11-20-2019, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

One more addition, if the Sony 950 is the better choice will it be a significant enough upgrade over my 900
post #3 of 53 Old 11-20-2019, 05:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwbcss View Post
One more addition, if the Sony 950 is the better choice will it be a significant enough upgrade over my 900
Which 900? 900C, 900E, 900F?
DrBrFrJr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 Old 11-20-2019, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

I currently have the 900XF
post #5 of 53 Old 11-20-2019, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Long time fan and information gather from this site, many useful topics and info. I’m currently renovating my finished basement and upgrading my Sony x900 65 inch. I mainly use TV for sports, news shows and movies. I’m not going OLED and have narrowed my choices down to Samsung Q90r and Sony x950... both would be in the 75 inch. After reading many many many posts I’m leaning toward the Sony because of the motion handling for sports. Any input or advice is greatly appreciated. As soon as I think I have it decided I read something that sways me. thanks to all in advance.
Quote:
I currently have the 900XF
The 75" X950G and all sizes of the Samsung Q90R provide wider angle viewing, which your current X900F does not. Other than that, the X950G is fairly comparable performance wise to the X900F so the only upgrade would be a wider viewing angle. The Samsung Q90R is their flagship model and would be a significant upgrade over your X900F in terms of wider viewing angle, 10 times the FALD zones for better HDR, brighter panel, better anti-reflective coating, better gaming with VRR support. Sony used to have a big advantage in motion control, now not so much. I personally have no issues watching sports on two Samsung TVs, one "QLED" LCD and one a cheap 60 Hz LCD. I just turn off the Auto Motion controls and it's fine for me.
post #6 of 53 Old 11-20-2019, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that reply. So if the Q90r is a better upgrade from my current model do you see any negative to the lack of Dolby vision for movies? Also just based on the demo at the store you could see motion issues on the sports clip they have showing ( soccer ball kicked and you could see some blur). I’m be no means any expert, that was one of the concerns I took away from the store. And last, any issues with the one connect box being a single point of failure or issues mounting on wall as I have no wire showing now. Thank you in advance
post #7 of 53 Old 11-20-2019, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
The 75" X950G and all sizes of the Samsung Q90R provide wider angle viewing, which your current X900F does not. Other than that, the X950G is fairly comparable performance wise to the X900F so the only upgrade would be a wider viewing angle. The Samsung Q90R is their flagship model and would be a significant upgrade over your X900F in terms of wider viewing angle, 10 times the FALD zones for better HDR, brighter panel, better anti-reflective coating, better gaming with VRR support. Sony used to have a big advantage in motion control, now not so much. I personally have no issues watching sports on two Samsung TVs, one "QLED" LCD and one a cheap 60 Hz LCD. I just turn off the Auto Motion controls and it's fine for me.

Two things that could make the samsung a deal breaker there is no dolby vison which is ridiculous for the amount of money you are paying and the loss of shadow details when their Fald zones try to minimize blooming.
post #8 of 53 Old 11-20-2019, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

So taking all that into consideration would you still opt for the Q90 over the Sony 950?
post #9 of 53 Old 11-20-2019, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Also.... have I overlooked any other models
post #10 of 53 Old 11-20-2019, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by picturequality View Post
Two things that could make the samsung a deal breaker there is no dolby vison which is ridiculous for the amount of money you are paying and the loss of shadow details when their Fald zones try to minimize blooming.
Well you're not the OP I was responding to, but in any event, Dolby vision is up to you, it means nothing to me as it doesn't look any better than regular HDR. As far as Samsung's black crush, if you go Sony, you get lots of blooming. Some from the lower number of FALD zones, and some from the dimming algorithm that is tuned for starfield detail. Either way you go there will be issues. LCD FALD is a kluge, none of the LG, Samsung or Sony implementations are without issues. LCD FALD systems all control of zones of screen real estate of various sizes, real dimming requires pixel level control that you can only get with an OLED.
post #11 of 53 Old 11-20-2019, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So taking all that into consideration would you still opt for the Q90 over the Sony 950?
Personally, if I was spending that kind of money, it would be on a 77" OLED (77" LG C9 $4,299 with code SAVE 300). But, TBH, I would never personally spend that much on a TV. IMO, no LCD is worth that much. But I'm also not saying the Sony X950G isn't a good TV, because it is, it just has some limitations especially for HDR with it having so few zones for a large 75" screen. And except for the wider viewing angle, it isn't much of an upgrade over your Sony X900F which is also a fine LCD.
post #12 of 53 Old 11-20-2019, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Personally, if I was spending that kind of money, it would be on a 77" OLED (77" LG C9 $4,299 with code SAVE 300). But, TBH, I would never personally spend that much on a TV. IMO, no LCD is worth that much. But I'm also not saying the Sony X950G isn't a good TV, because it is, it just has some limitations especially for HDR with it having so few zones for a large 75" screen. And except for the wider viewing angle, it isn't much of an upgrade over your Sony X900F which is also a fine LCD.

Here we go again you should try and give accurate statements when trying to help someone. Saying the 950g has limitations with HDR is not true it has the most accurate colors out of the box when you compare it to Samsung or other lcd tvs. And for people who dont understand FLAD its not the amount of dimming zones its the algorithms, you can have a tv with 100 dimming zones and another with 50 zones and the 50 count looks better.
post #13 of 53 Old 11-20-2019, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by picturequality View Post
Here we go again you should try and give accurate statements when trying to help someone. Saying the 950g has limitations with HDR is not true it has the most accurate colors out of the box when you compare it to Samsung or other lcd tvs. And for people who dont understand FLAD its not the amount of dimming zones its the algorithms, you can have a tv with 100 dimming zones and another with 50 zones and the 50 count looks better.
Actually, it's really both the number of zones and the algorithm, and additionally it's affected by processing speed. Think as you will but all FALD LCD dimming is flawed. You pick what means most to you, some hate blooming, others focus on shadow detail. You read the Sony forums here and you'll see lots of complaints about blooming, read the Samsung forums and it's all about black crush. On top of that, some like you prefer more accurate colors that Sony provides, while others prefer more pop and color volume like Samsung provides. It's all subjective, nobody has the answer for everybody else, you get what looks best to you and enjoy it. But everything else being equal, more dimming zones are better. Better yet is pixel level dimming, as is used in LG and Sony OLEDs.

I'm really not a fan of any company, don't own LG, Sony or Samsung stock, so I have no interest in arguing which is better, because everyone gets to decide that for themselves.
lucacow and beerhunt like this.
post #14 of 53 Old 11-20-2019, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 106
So who can actually see the difference between Dolby Vision and HDR10+?

I know I cant.

My system: Yamaha RX-A3060, Emotiva XPA-2, Salk Song3, Salk Songcenter RT, Polk FXiA6, Rythmik FV15HP, Intel i7 HTPC running JRiver Media Center
post #15 of 53 Old 11-20-2019, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackangst View Post
So who can actually see the difference between Dolby Vision and HDR10+?

I know I cant.
The difference that many more movies are available in DV. Only a few titles are out in HDR10+.
DrBrFrJr likes this.
post #16 of 53 Old 11-20-2019, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The difference that many more movies are available in DV. Only a few titles are out in HDR10+.
Don't forget about upconverting. There's more advantages to moving to 4k than playing native content.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

My system: Yamaha RX-A3060, Emotiva XPA-2, Salk Song3, Salk Songcenter RT, Polk FXiA6, Rythmik FV15HP, Intel i7 HTPC running JRiver Media Center
post #17 of 53 Old 11-20-2019, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackangst View Post
Don't forget about upconverting. There's more advantages to moving to 4k than playing native content.

I don't know what that has to do with DV vs. HDR10+.
post #18 of 53 Old 11-20-2019, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't know what that has to do with DV vs. HDR10+.
Fair point.

post #19 of 53 Old 11-20-2019, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:

I wouldn't consider anything non oled that is out now a significant upgrade over what you have now. The 950 has advantages over the 900 but people on here still argue about if its worth it to buy the 950 or save a few bucks for the 900f

the q90r might feel more like an upgrade because the picture is different (IE saturated) however I don't think they are worth what they are asking for them nor do I think they are overall better they just have different problems that you have to accept.
post #20 of 53 Old 11-20-2019, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply... and I’m guessing since I watch mostly sports, cable/news then the OLED is a no no because of burn in......

I wish someone can convince me otherwise because I love those TVs
post #21 of 53 Old 11-20-2019, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I figured it out for ya, 900f in 85. Now that's an upgrade.

Your welcome,

Cheers
lucacow likes this.
post #22 of 53 Old 11-20-2019, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

😂. Lol thanks for that.
post #23 of 53 Old 11-20-2019, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioguy1 View Post
I figured it out for ya, 900f in 85. Now that's an upgrade.

Your welcome,

Cheers
Agreed. An increase in size from 75” to 85” will have more of an impact and feel more like an upgrade than any little bump up in picture quality the 950G or Q90R will give you.
post #24 of 53 Old 11-20-2019, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

I currently have the 65 Sony 900 F. So I would just be jumping up to a 75 inch I’m either the Samsung or Sony. This is my dilemma
post #25 of 53 Old 11-21-2019, 04:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply... and I’m guessing since I watch mostly sports, cable/news then the OLED is a no no because of burn in......

Just stop watching cable news! Problem solved, now go get that OLED.
Panson and DrBrFrJr like this.
post #26 of 53 Old 11-21-2019, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:

As someone that has gotten burn-in on his LG OLED from the HUD of a game, I can say that I never had any issue with BI in terms of sports. I watch a ton of Football, Basketball, Baseball, and Tennis. Never had an issue with logos on channels either.

Not saying it's not possible, though. The main thing to look out for is if the logo in question is either Red, Yellow, or some combination (Orange), fully saturated, and if we're talking SDR or HDR. This is generally what OLEDs have issues with. LGD has made physical changes in the panels to have much larger Red subpixels to (hopefully) avoid this issue. In theory, it should, but the panels with these changes haven't been available long enough to test their lifespans.

Erring on the side of caution, if you know you'll be watching a lot of CNN, which has a fully saturated, always on, Red logo, I'm not saying you will have an issue, but I would never feel comfortable recommending an OLED for that use case, personally. The same if you know that any of the channels you will watch for long periods of time have Yellow logos that are fully saturated, and always on. If you play games that have HUD elements that are Red/Yellow, and you can't change their opacity in settings, and especially if you play in HDR. This is the scenario that caused BI on my OLED. Admittedly, my OLED is a 2016 E6, and doesn't have the benefit of the new panel improvements or the new software improvements (the TV detects static images and will dim the area that contains said image), so that may have made a huge difference. Don't know.

White and the other colors don't seem to be near as much a problem (though I have seen people with BI that looks to have been caused by subtitles, but not as common an issue, I don't think), so sports broadcasts and all the cable channels I watch (I rarely watch CNN) have never been an issue for me.

Nothing looks better, IMO, which makes it much harder to decide. Even after being bitten, I'm still 99% sure my next TV that I purchase next year, will be an OLED. Take what I've said, apply it to your viewing habits and hopefully it helps in the decision making.
lucacow likes this.

Last edited by Stuntman_Mike; 11-21-2019 at 10:02 AM.
post #27 of 53 Old 11-21-2019, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:
I currently have the 65 Sony 900 F. So I would just be jumping up to a 75 inch I’m either the Samsung or Sony. This is my dilemma
Can you not fit an 85"?

post #28 of 53 Old 11-21-2019, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post
Can you not fit an 85"?
Just about to post that, you took the words right out of my mouth. Get out of my mind man!

Go big or go home, no one ever complains their tv is too big.

Cheers
post #29 of 53 Old 11-21-2019, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

An 85 is definitely too big, 65-75 is the sweet spot. Regarding the OLED good info on the sports ticker not causing any issues and my news channel of choice is usually Fox, so not sure if that has as great or equal an impact as the CNN logo
post #30 of 53 Old 11-21-2019, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
An 85 is definitely too big, 65-75 is the sweet spot. Regarding the OLED good info on the sports ticker not causing any issues and my news channel of choice is usually Fox, so not sure if that has as great or equal an impact as the CNN logo

Blasphemy!...Unless your viewing distance is under 8 feet.

I'm waiting till next year for an 82". I'd go bigger if it would fit.

Marantz SR7013, Polk Signature S60s/S30/S15s/HTS12s, Polk MC80 (x4), AC Infinity T9/S9, AAB4 HTPC,...still to come - Panasonic DP-UB820K, 82" 4K QLED or eqv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page