• 1 Post By VA_DaveB
  • 1 Post By VA_DaveB

post #1 of 20 Old 11-21-2019, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need help picking tv

Hello my parents are due for a new tv. Considering getting them a 2019 tcl 625 or a samsung ru8000. Both can be had for same price so dont need to worry about that consideration, each tv has it pros and cons but what would i be better off getting them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-21-2019, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked: 2041
Quote:
Originally Posted by stryker6040 View Post
Hello my parents are due for a new tv. Considering getting them a 2019 tcl 625 or a samsung ru8000. Both can be had for same price so dont need to worry about that consideration, each tv has it pros and cons but what would i be better off getting them?
Easy choice. The TCL 625 has FALD, good HDR Peak Brightness, and Dolby Vision. The Samsung RU8000 is Edge-lit, poor HDR Peak Brightness, and no Dolby Vision.

Good luck, have fun.
lucacow likes this.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #3 of 20 Old 11-21-2019, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I’d go for the TCL just on the virtue of Roku built in. It is a simple and easy to use interface. However, I’d also pick it for its brightness and contrast superiority as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sk373 and Panson like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 11-21-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Easy choice. The TCL 625 has FALD, good HDR Peak Brightness, and Dolby Vision. The Samsung RU8000 is Edge-lit, poor HDR Peak Brightness, and no Dolby Vision.

Good luck, have fun.

Beat me to it by mere seconds!

Panson likes this.
post #5 of 20 Old 11-21-2019, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

All valid points, since a couple reviews about screen issues already with the 625, is it worth playing the panel lottery?
post #6 of 20 Old 11-21-2019, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Get the Tcl.

Last edited by yogi6807; 11-21-2019 at 07:13 PM.
post #7 of 20 Old 11-21-2019, 10:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1168 Post(s)
Liked: 946
Quote:
All valid points, since a couple reviews about screen issues already with the 625, is it worth playing the panel lottery?
In this case, yes.

Sony XBR-77A9G / Panasonic DP-UB9000 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
post #8 of 20 Old 11-22-2019, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Quote:
Will your parents ever watch any HDR content? Most older folks just watch their TV shows and sports, and don't need FALD. Since HDR is mostly being used for special effects in costumed super-hero movies, it may not be very compelling to them.
lucacow likes this.
post #9 of 20 Old 11-22-2019, 08:54 AM

Need help picking tv

Costco is going to have a phenomenal price on the TCL R613 (2018) starting on Nov 29th. Add a SquareTrade Extended warranty, you get a total of 5 years of coverage, and it seems like a great deal.

post #10 of 20 Old 11-22-2019, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
Will your parents ever watch any HDR content? Most older folks just watch their TV shows and sports, and don't need FALD. Since HDR is mostly being used for special effects in costumed super-hero movies, it may not be very compelling to them.

I almost feel like I am stalking you since I am always quoting your posts but its too nonsensical for me not to say anything. Why would you say that HDR is mostly for super hero movies that is so ridiculous I dont even know where to begin. I hope for your sake that you are just trolling and messing around.
post #11 of 20 Old 11-22-2019, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by picturequality View Post
I almost feel like I am stalking you since I am always quoting your posts but its too nonsensical for me not to say anything. Why would you say that HDR is mostly for super hero movies that is so ridiculous I dont even know where to begin. I hope for your sake that you are just trolling and messing around.
Just an observation. For videophiles like you, HDR an enhancement of the total video experience. But there are far fewer videophiles here this days and lots of talk of HDR effects in Marvel and other such movies. Most newbies who come here asking questions are not videophiles, otherwise they could evaluate the various TVs on their own. And lots of them want a TV for those kinds of movies and for video games, not for the original intended purpose of enhancing the contrast ratio and color palette to offer a more realistic and natural image. There's nothing realistic or natural about the HDR-enhanced digitized special effects in super hero type movies and video games, they're simply even more over the top special effects. So, yeah, kind of messing around, but I had no intention of offending anyone.

Anyway, I'd like to let this go now so since it's not appropriate for the OP's question. So I won't be following on this should you choose to respond further.
post #12 of 20 Old 11-22-2019, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Just an observation. For videophiles like you, HDR an enhancement of the total video experience. But there are far fewer videophiles here this days and lots of talk of HDR effects in Marvel and other such movies. Most newbies who come here asking questions are not videophiles, otherwise they could evaluate the various TVs on their own. And lots of them want a TV for those kinds of movies and for video games, not for the original intended purpose of enhancing the contrast ratio and color palette to offer a more realistic and natural image. There's nothing realistic or natural about the HDR-enhanced digitized special effects in super hero type movies and video games, they're simply even more over the top special effects. So, yeah, kind of messing around, but I had no intention of offending anyone.

Anyway, I'd like to let this go now so since it's not appropriate for the OP's question. So I won't be following on this should you choose to respond further.
I actually liked your statement for the different perspective on the issue...not the usual knee jerk TCL is better response...if the OPs parents aren't videophiles, the Samsung may also be the better choice in terms of likelihood of panel lottery problems....yes I am aware that every brand has these issues but the odds are that the Samsung would be better in this metric...it is something to consider
OP I would give the nod to the Samsung for quality but the TCL is the better TV
post #13 of 20 Old 11-22-2019, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingonup View Post
I actually liked your statement for the different perspective on the issue...not the usual knee jerk TCL is better response...if the OPs parents aren't videophiles, the Samsung may also be the better choice in terms of likelihood of panel lottery problems....yes I am aware that every brand has these issues but the odds are that the Samsung would be better in this metric...it is something to consider
OP I would give the nod to the Samsung for quality but the TCL is the better TV
Yes that's where I was headed, but only if the OP response led in that direction. For standard cable TV viewing, it arguably better to get a non-FALD TV with a clean panel (no DSE) and no visible banding. Those defects ruin all viewing, from regular TV and sports to Blu-ray and UHD HDR movies. But not knowing the OP's parents usage, I can't offer any opinion. BTW, I bought a $550 Samsung UN6900 last year just for my basement man area mostly to watch football and baseball along with some car and science shows I like to watch. It's an edge-lit VA panel with very high native contrast ratio, very accurate colors as tested by Rtings, and has no DSE or banding issues. I even watched some hockey, and the ice was nice and clean looking. But, for HDR movies, the lack of local dimming and WCG makes it a bit bland but not terrible IMO. I do have a UHD Samsung Blu-ray attached to and just for the heck of it watched a couple of 4K/HDR movies on it. Of course they would have looked much better on a nice 65" OLED, but if they aren't side by side, then ignorance is bliss.
Cheddarhead likes this.
post #14 of 20 Old 11-22-2019, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Watching 4K HDR demos on Youtube is reason enough ...to impress their friends ! ...LoL
My reasons are TCL = Hipster with Wayfarers on while Samsung = Old Fogies with bifocals !

TCL 4 Series 50" / 6 Series 65"
post #15 of 20 Old 11-22-2019, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdT586 View Post
My reasons are TCL = Hipster with Wayfarers on while Samsung = Old Fogies with bifocals !
So are you a true hipster doofus (Seinfeld/Kramer reference), or just a hipster wannabe? I thought TCLs were for the more frugal people.

Since I'm nearly 71 and do own Samsung TVs, I guess I'm your old fogy, except no bifocals. I did have cataract surgery a couple of years ago and no glasses since then. But, on the other hand, I still build my own computers, currently one with an AMD Ryzen 7 2700X CPU and an RX 570 GPU, and the other a mini ITX with an Intel i5-9400F CPU and a GTX 1660 Ti GPU. Plus my trusty old Intel X79 with an overclocked Xeon E5-1620 CPU I've had for 6 years or so. Maybe that's old fogy stuff too, since all the millennials and Gen Z'ers seem to just be fixated on their phones 24/7. Phones that cost more than either of my latest computer builds. So hipsters only spend $500 on a TCL TV but will burn $1K+ on the latest Apple iPhone? Weird. So are Samsung phones for old fogies too? I don't have one of them though, I've got a 2-year old LG G6 I bought used for $80.
post #16 of 20 Old 11-22-2019, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:

I don't think HDR is for the Marvel movies. For example, HDR shows its true glory in good HDR movies like The Shallows. The sunset, beach, waves are very realistic. Or action movie like Angel has Fallen. The TCL 6 series will do a much better job on the HDR effect than the Samsung RU.
post #17 of 20 Old 11-22-2019, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Since I'm nearly 71 and do own Samsung TVs, I guess I'm your old fogy
So I guess there is some truth to my statement ...LoL TCL is courting the Hollywood and Youtube crowd everyone from Ellen Generes to a gazillion Youtuber has a TCL hanging on their walls ...so its like Tinsel Town chic these days even the Chinese Theatre on Hollywood Blvd. is now named the TCL Chinese Theater. I have never or will ever own anything Apple because I hate that company with passion, my main PC is 12 years old and cost me a grand total of $15us ...LoL

TCL 4 Series 50" / 6 Series 65"
post #18 of 20 Old 11-23-2019, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
This thread is helpful, in the process of buying a TV myself right now, thanks.
post #19 of 20 Old 11-23-2019, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 42
post #20 of 20 Old 11-27-2019, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies and sorry for not being back quicker, they will mostly use the tv for normal tv watching with hd cable but they do rent a lot of blurays and movies from netflix, which now they could stream uhd from them and disney+ with a good 4k tv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page