TCL 55″ 6-Series 4K QLED Dolby Vision HDR Roku TV Review (2019 Model) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 11-29-2019, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
TCL 55″ 6-Series 4K QLED Dolby Vision HDR Roku TV Review (2019 Model)

TCL has made an indelible mark in the U.S. TV market with its 6-Series Roku TVs that offer excellent performance for the money, not to mention and attractive design. TCL’s 2019 6-Series Roku TV (R625) is a significant leap forward from the 2018 models (R617) thanks to the introduction of QLED (quantum dots) to achieve picture quality typically associated with more expensive TVs.

Click here to read more.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-02-2019, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Not sure if all the TCL use VA FALD LCD, but I found my R613 viewing angle is much more narrower than the S series, kind of like watching a Da-Lite HP high gain screen off axis. Other than that, it's a great TV so far. Not sure about it's durability. For the price, it's almost a "disposal" item.
post #3 of 15 Old 12-02-2019, 10:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0 View Post
Not sure if all the TCL use VA FALD LCD, but I found my R613 viewing angle is much more narrower than the S series, kind of like watching a Da-Lite HP high gain screen off axis. Other than that, it's a great TV so far. Not sure about it's durability. For the price, it's almost a "disposal" item.

TCL , Hisense, stepping up their game against LG, Oled, Sony, etc. I recently purchased the Hisense H9F, I sent pictures to several colleagues, out of the box without any calibration, they were all in impressed and thought it was a Sony tv and these people have either all sony, lg oled and Samsung. It's a win win for us of those who are on a tight budget, getting the nearly the same quality as the big 3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 12-03-2019, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gondey99 View Post
TCL , Hisense, stepping up their game against LG, Oled, Sony, etc. I recently purchased the Hisense H9F, I sent pictures to several colleagues, out of the box without any calibration, they were all in impressed and thought it was a Sony tv and these people have either all sony, lg oled and Samsung. It's a win win for us of those who are on a tight budget, getting the nearly the same quality as the big 3.
I have the 55 Series 6 and really like it. Only thing I don't like, and it's now the same on most sets, are these legs set so far apart you need to buy a new stand to put it on. No excuse for that nonsense from any TV maker.

Ron
post #5 of 15 Old 12-03-2019, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondtroy View Post
I have the 55 Series 6 and really like it. Only thing I don't like, and it's now the same on most sets, are these legs set so far apart you need to buy a new stand to put it on. No excuse for that nonsense from any TV maker.
Agree. I believe that you might able to install them inward, but not sure it would save any space. Sony has a better stand.
post #6 of 15 Old 12-03-2019, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gondey99 View Post
I opted for the TCL 2019 QLED series but was not impressed due to the $200 delta from the 2018 model. Like Bose, QLED is a marketing term, not a product improvement yet. Sony is very nice (OLED) but I cannot justify the $1,600 premium at this time. Just unloaded a Sony HW65 due to its flickering lamp at a huge lost. I would have bought a LG OLED C series for the money once we decided to downsize next year.
post #7 of 15 Old 12-03-2019, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Optional stand for TCL

Quote:
Agree. I believe that you might able to install them inward, but not sure it would save any space. Sony has a better stand.

One thing about the hisense is that the stand is in the center of the tv,I have no wobble or any fear of it falling off.

There is also this stand you can you use if yu have a smaller footprint.

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Tab...s%2C136&sr=1-4
post #8 of 15 Old 12-05-2019, 03:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked: 2158
Have an OLED in the movie room and just picked up the 65” TCL 6 series QLED for the living room. So far I’m extremely impressed. The picture quality is great for this price point. I’ve bought larger sub $1000 TVs from Samsung/Sony and have always been disappointed. TCL and Vizio crush the $500-$1500 market.
post #9 of 15 Old 12-05-2019, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 254
I hate to say this but I expected more in a review from AVS. The first thing that hit me was that the set was not calibrated. Why not? This review lacks detailed information about artifacts, but you did mention haloing, but no talk about the possible sacrifices the set makes to achieve little to no blooming. Do highlights dim? Did you look to see if any flashing goes on, as it does in some other sets this year? What about gradient? Was there any banding? I'm especially concerned about it in dark or foggy scenes. What about crushing blacks? Are shadow details well rendered? How much soap opera effect is there and can it be turned off? If so, are there any negative effects of turning it off? Is there any dse? What was motion handling like? Is it as good or nearly as good as Sony? Is it possible to turn off all processing if desired? How well does it do Dolby Vision? Does it do it automatically or do you have to turn it on? How well does it handle SDR?

You can call me Sheila.
post #10 of 15 Old 12-05-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
I opted for the TCL 2019 QLED series but was not impressed due to the $200 delta from the 2018 model. Like Bose, QLED is a marketing term, not a product improvement yet. Sony is very nice (OLED) but I cannot justify the $1,600 premium at this time. Just unloaded a Sony HW65 due to its flickering lamp at a huge lost. I would have bought a LG OLED C series for the money once we decided to downsize next year.
Don't forget that LG OLED's are said to be highly subject to burn in problems. If you get how to avoid it, fine, but lots of people seem to be reporting ruined screens. So be careful. OLED is nice looking, but that is a real problem.

Ron
post #11 of 15 Old 12-06-2019, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Don't forget that LG OLED's are said to be highly subject to burn in problems. If you get how to avoid it, fine, but lots of people seem to be reporting ruined screens. So be careful. OLED is nice looking, but that is a real problem.
Thanks. I had plasma before; the station logo could be annoying. How is Sony's OLED (probably made by LG)?
post #12 of 15 Old 12-06-2019, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I had plasma before; the station logo could be annoying. How is Sony's OLED (probably made by LG)?
LG panels seem to be subject to burn in - though supposedly any OLED are. My Samsung S8+ phone has burn in - I didn't realize that it was OLED until too late.

Ron
post #13 of 15 Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I do agree that a set of calibration numbers will help to the common folk trying to get the best possible experience for this tv set. For the record I do have the 6 series for last year (and the 55'' as well) and I am grateful for the set. I constantly trying to watch as much as 4K material as possible, 'cause that is when you really appreciate this tv. I am glad to report that OTA look much better than in my Panasonic 42" plasma , even though my Panny beats hers, hands down in black levels. Cable is ok, but we know that is a great deal of compression overall, I am a Comcast customer and I do have a great signal level. As they said: "garbage in- garbage out".
post #14 of 15 Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
On the flip side an aftermarket stand costs all of $15 off Amazon.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

--------------------------------------------------
Source: HTPC w/madVR, Video: Epson 5040, 150" 16:9, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofer: MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D.
post #15 of 15 Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM

Unhappy yeah, but

Sure, you can get a cheap stand. But I have a multi shelf glass one that I like in my LR, and while it holds a HD LG 55 no problem, it can't hold most current 55's because of these crazy super wide legs, nor can the TV easily pivot to aim where users are. And that shelf system holds a lot of equipment. Today it would cost hundreds to replace it.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
55r625 , dolby vision , roku tv , tcl 6 series

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page