4K TV Picture Settings Confusion - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 12-02-2019, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
4K TV Picture Settings Confusion

Hello,

I recently picked up an LG - 43" Class - LED - UM7300PUA Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR, that I use for Xbox One and PS4 gaming. This is my first 4K tv for gaming.

It’s an excellent TV with a great picture, but I am hopelessly overwhelmed and confused by the picture settings. On my 1080p TV, I just needed to set the picture settings for the applicable HDMI input and I was done. Now, I need to account for: Game Mode SDR (non-HDR?) settings on Xbox One, Game Mode HDR settings on Xbox One, Game Mode SDR settings on PS4, and Game Mode HDR settings on PS4. (I use Game Mode for everything to ensure I have the best and most responsive gaming experience.)

I thought the default Game Mode picture settings looked a little “washed out” or dim – i.e., the color was obviously better and richer than it was on my 1080p TV, but the brightness wasn’t as good - and so I have been playing around with the settings for days. What I came up with – for both the SDR and HDR settings on both Xbox One and PS4 – is a Backlight of 100, Contrast of 95, and Brightness of 60. Those settings seem to have given me the vibrancy/“pop” from the colors that I have been looking for.

However, I am uncertain about a number of items:

1. I value consistency. Is it okay/advisable to have the picture settings the same for both SDR and HDR? Obviously, a number of games don’t run at HDR, and so I would like to have my SDR and HDR picture settings synced.

2. I’ve read a number of opinions about having the Backlight constantly set to 100 – e.g., it will reduce the life of the TV, it could produce burn-in, etc. As I understand, HDR automatically maxes out the Backlight, but I could adjust it downward. Is it okay/advisable to have the SDR’s Backlight at 100? Do I run the risk of reducing the life of the TV and/or burn-in by having the Backlight always (i.e., in both SDR and HDR modes) at 100?

I would welcome and appreciate any comments and opinions, as I feel quite confused and uncertain.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page