Sony 85" 900f or 950g - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By picturequality
  • 2 Post By notoriouskeef
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 12-06-2019, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Sony 85" 900f or 950g

So I've been debating between a new tv or a projector and I decided I'd rather have the quality over large screen. I currently have a 75" sony 900e. I love the TV but just need something a little bigger. I decided on either the sony 85" 900f or 950g. I just left best buy and could not tell a difference between the two on their 4k demo. The best deal I found on the 85" 900f is about $2800. Is the 950g worth the extra $1200? My movie room has no windows . I will use it for movies and the occasional xbox game.

Thanks for the help!
notoriouskeef is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 12-06-2019, 11:32 AM
ISF Level III Certified
 
Evan201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouskeef View Post
So I've been debating between a new tv or a projector and I decided I'd rather have the quality over large screen. I currently have a 75" sony 900e. I love the TV but just need something a little bigger. I decided on either the sony 85" 900f or 950g. I just left best buy and could not tell a difference between the two on their 4k demo. The best deal I found on the 85" 900f is about $2800. Is the 950g worth the extra $1200? My movie room has no windows . I will use it for movies and the occasional xbox game.

Thanks for the help!
Seems like the 900F has better contrast with local dimming than the 950G which is surprising, but the 950G takes it on brightness at about 100-200 nits brighter than 900F. The 950G has eARC as well and lower input lag if that matters to you.

ISF Level III Certified Display Calibrator - Los Angeles
Advanced Visual Systems & Calibration
[email protected]

Last edited by Evan201; 12-06-2019 at 11:38 AM.
Evan201 is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 12-06-2019, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sk373's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,570
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 833 Post(s)
Liked: 1203
The 950G will have better off-axis performance than the 900F. Whether that is worth an extra $1200, only you can say.

My humble main system:
Vizio M75-E1; Oppo 203 universal UHD player; Denon 4300H AVR, Dual PSA S1801's; Monitor Audio Silver RX-6 mains, RX center, and RX surrounds; one pair NHT mini Atmos speakers; Home-built HTPC (Xeon E1230, 16gb RAM, Crucial M500 480gb SSD, GeForce 980Ti, Corsair CX600, CoolerMaster mini-ITX case); Roku Premiere+; Amazon 4K Fire TV
sk373 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 Old 12-06-2019, 12:40 PM
Member
 
Clesarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I really feel like you should view these in person. While on paper the 950 doesnt seem any better in actual practice it looks like a much higher end tv and has picture that noticbly feels dark in it blacks to me. The blooming that stated as being awful isnt something i've noticed is any worse than any other Sony tvs offered sans OLED.
Clesarie is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 12-06-2019, 12:50 PM
Member
 
Nozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Indiana
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouskeef View Post
So I've been debating between a new tv or a projector and I decided I'd rather have the quality over large screen. I currently have a 75" sony 900e. I love the TV but just need something a little bigger. I decided on either the sony 85" 900f or 950g. I just left best buy and could not tell a difference between the two on their 4k demo. The best deal I found on the 85" 900f is about $2800. Is the 950g worth the extra $1200? My movie room has no windows . I will use it for movies and the occasional xbox game.

Thanks for the help!
I was in the exact same situation. Our 65 OLED was just not big enough. After much research I bought the 85 900F over the 950.
Off angle viewing was not an issue for us at all. We just wanted the biggest bang for our buck and for us the 950 was just not worth the extra money.
I just got it delivered and mounted by the Geek Squad today, so I still need to work on settings. Btw, the GS guys were awesome and did a great job for me.
Nozz is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 12-06-2019, 01:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clesarie View Post
I really feel like you should view these in person. While on paper the 950 doesnt seem any better in actual practice it looks like a much higher end tv and has picture that noticbly feels dark in it blacks to me. The blooming that stated as being awful isnt something i've noticed is any worse than any other Sony tvs offered sans OLED.

Its overblown by some cry babies on here. After reaching some threads I was expecting some horrible blooming when I went over to a friends house I was shocked to see that it was minimal.
Clesarie, 355F1 and Bklynblaze like this.
picturequality is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 12-06-2019, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozz View Post
I was in the exact same situation. Our 65 OLED was just not big enough. After much research I bought the 85 900F over the 950.
Off angle viewing was not an issue for us at all. We just wanted the biggest bang for our buck and for us the 950 was just not worth the extra money.
I just got it delivered and mounted by the Geek Squad today, so I still need to work on settings. Btw, the GS guys were awesome and did a great job for me.
that is exactly what I'm thinking as well. I sit directly in front of the tv so there are no off angle viewing issues at all. Like I said, I couldn't tell a difference between the 2 at best buy and I watched them for a good 15 mins on all kinds of scenes. 900F it is!

thanks for the help everyone
sk373 and Nozz like this.
notoriouskeef is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 12-06-2019, 02:40 PM
Member
 
Nozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Indiana
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouskeef View Post
that is exactly what I'm thinking as well. I sit directly in front of the tv so there are no off angle viewing issues at all. Like I said, I couldn't tell a difference between the 2 at best buy and I watched them for a good 15 mins on all kinds of scenes. 900F it is!

thanks for the help everyone
Enjoy!! Now we just have to figure out the settings. Something I'm not great at. lol
Nozz is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 12-06-2019, 03:28 PM
Senior Member
 
355F1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Arizona
Posts: 460
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by picturequality View Post
Its overblown by some cry babies on here. After reaching some threads I was expecting some horrible blooming when I went over to a friends house I was shocked to see that it was minimal.
LoL....welcome to the internet.....hahahahahhahaha


You gotta take everything on this forum and others with a grain of salt.

😎It's just life, dude. We are all gonna die sometime--Might as well try and have a kickass time while we're still here.😜
355F1 is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 12-06-2019, 07:52 PM
Member
 
Audioguy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouskeef View Post
So I've been debating between a new tv or a projector and I decided I'd rather have the quality over large screen. I currently have a 75" sony 900e. I love the TV but just need something a little bigger. I decided on either the sony 85" 900f or 950g. I just left best buy and could not tell a difference between the two on their 4k demo. The best deal I found on the 85" 900f is about $2800. Is the 950g worth the extra $1200? My movie room has no windows . I will use it for movies and the occasional xbox game.

Thanks for the help!
900F x 1200(You said viewing angle wasn't a problem).
Me, I'm holding out for smell o vision.

Best
Audioguy1 is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 12-06-2019, 11:01 PM
Member
 
tambur123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Romania
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioguy1 View Post
900F x 1200(You said viewing angle wasn't a problem).
Me, I'm holding out for smell o vision.

Best
As per hdtvtest, for 85” size viewing angle is a problem even if you sit directly in front of the tv. Because of the screen size you will see a contrast difference between the center and the edges of the screen.
tambur123 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off