Best Buy: Geek Squad questions and help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By wxman
  • 1 Post By Lp85253

post #1 of 5 Old 12-09-2019, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Unhappy Best Buy: Geek Squad questions and help

Hey Guys,

I browsed through all the different sub forums and not sure where this post would go, If I did post in the area that it doesn't belong, mods please feel free to move it to the correct forum.

Here goes.

I bought my a Sony X900E about 1 year ago and now has flat line across the upper 3/4th of the screen. It's a pretty tiny line, but it's very noticeable. I have a best buy geek squad plan that ends in April of 2020, but last night when I finally get a chance to go to bestbuy to ask for their Geeksquard and how it works, I notice my receipt was written differently/weird. Let me explain.

I bought my x900E for $1971 total without tax and it was an open box item, so because of this; Sony TV being open box I only get a 30 day warranty; therefore in order to sell the unit, they threw in a 2 year geek squad warranty for free. What I didn't check was that they code the receipt to show the TV as $1771+$199 geek squad plan.

So now Best Buy said they would honor the TV as 1771 and not the $1970, the problem is I can't go back to the original best buy that I bought it from because it is now closed. I originally bought from Mall of American Best Buy in MN.

What can I do, am I SOL because they coded the receipt this way? Was thinking about picking Samsung Q80 and shell out for the difference, but the extra $200 would be real nice if they could at least use it towards a new geek squad plan for the new TV that I would be replacing, but they are saying there's nothing they can do about that.

The sad part in all of this is the guy I spoke to knew that my TV was(open box) for roughly between 1900-2100, so they know I'm not lying, he specifically stated but just said they couldn't do anything about it.

Any help?

Thanks,

-Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-09-2019, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 5573 Post(s)
Liked: 3968
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hey Guys,

I browsed through all the different sub forums and not sure where this post would go, If I did post in the area that it doesn't belong, mods please feel free to move it to the correct forum.

Here goes.

I bought my a Sony X900E about 1 year ago and now has flat line across the upper 3/4th of the screen. It's a pretty tiny line, but it's very noticeable. I have a best buy geek squad plan that ends in April of 2020, but last night when I finally get a chance to go to bestbuy to ask for their Geeksquard and how it works, I notice my receipt was written differently/weird. Let me explain.

I bought my x900E for $1971 total without tax and it was an open box item, so because of this; Sony TV being open box I only get a 30 day warranty; therefore in order to sell the unit, they threw in a 2 year geek squad warranty for free. What I didn't check was that they code the receipt to show the TV as $1771+$199 geek squad plan.

So now Best Buy said they would honor the TV as 1771 and not the $1970, the problem is I can't go back to the original best buy that I bought it from because it is now closed. I originally bought from Mall of American Best Buy in MN.

What can I do, am I SOL because they coded the receipt this way? Was thinking about picking Samsung Q80 and shell out for the difference, but the extra $200 would be real nice if they could at least use it towards a new geek squad plan for the new TV that I would be replacing, but they are saying there's nothing they can do about that.

The sad part in all of this is the guy I spoke to knew that my TV was(open box) for roughly between 1900-2100, so they know I'm not lying, he specifically stated but just said they couldn't do anything about it.

Any help?

Thanks,

-Andy
Not much you can do about it now. The receipt is the official document.
Lp85253 likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-12-2019, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Be happy your covered at all, and maybe avoid BB open box items? Does not sound like u got much of a deal anyway. Trying to save that 10-20% nearly cost u 2 grand.

Samsung QN55Q8FN / Pioneer Elite SC-81 AV Receiver/ Outlaw 5000 Amplifier/ ELAC Uni-Fi B5 Book Shelves/ SVS PB-1000 Subwoofer/ Roku Ultra / Bluesound Node 2 / iFi SPDIF iPurifier/ MiniDSP 2x4 HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-12-2019, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2235 Post(s)
Liked: 1875
take what you can get and be happy .. it's an open box item...i don't know what else to tell you.. they are going to give you a reimbursement value of $1771? .. if so i wouldn't know why that bothers you..
hughh likes this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #5 of 5 Old 12-16-2019, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 1121
The Best Buy/Geek Squad plans cover you for up to the amount paid for the TV. You paid $1771 for the TV and $200 for the plan. Were they to cash you out for the TV you'd get $1771 credit and your protection plan would be considered fulfilled. I don't see how you're SOL for anything unless you thought they were giving you the warranty for free, which to my knowledge they can't (or won't?) do.

movies Sony 65A1E|Sonus faber Toy, Toy Center, Venere Wall|SVS SB2000|Sony ZA5000ES|UDP 205/UB820|ATV 4K
music Sonus faber Liuto|REL S/5|Sony A1ES|Wadia 321|Sony SCD-777ES|Sony PS-HX500|Sonos Connect|AQ Niagara 5000
desk Sonus faber Toy monitor|REL T-Zero|Rega Brio|AQ Dragonfly Cobalt/Victoria|Mac mini|AQ PowerQuest 3
living Sony 65Z9D|Sonus faber Chameleon B|Marantz NR1508|Panasonic UB900
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page