2020 Vizio TVs announced. Up to 792 Zones! OLED included! Supports HDMI 2.1 FreeSync! - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 162Likes

post #271 of 308 Old 06-30-2020, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by srozzo2 View Post
I am in the market for an 85" HDMI 2.1 (PS5) capable TV that I can watch movies (with DV) and hockey on. That leaves the Sony 900h and the Vizio PQX. So that's why I am comparing them...

The LG Nano90 (which i tested against my X900F) could also be viable. Has 2x 40Gbps ports and has DV aswell, also i think LG has the best OS on the market. But from what i have seen so far i would still go with the Vizio PQX (if i could buy one). This TV seems leagues above the Sony, and for this price i would arrange myself with the downsides it might have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 308 Old 06-30-2020, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbegins View Post
The LG Nano90 (which i tested against my X900F) could also be viable. Has 2x 40Gbps ports and has DV aswell, also i think LG has the best OS on the market. But from what i have seen so far i would still go with the Vizio PQX (if i could buy one). This TV seems leagues above the Sony, and for this price i would arrange myself with the downsides it might have.
Thank you for the suggestion.. I was looking at the LG's till I discovered they dropped DTS support.. I have a setup with a Sony STR-DN1080 that I plan to use the Plex tv app and pass audio through eARC.. This will not work on LG and Samsung TV's since they dropped DTS support..
post #273 of 308 Old 06-30-2020, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I wish so bad LG would stop using IPS panels, or at least had another line with VA panels. Sacrificing contrast ratios for viewing angles isn’t even close to worth it for me.
Zoland2020 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 308 Old 06-30-2020, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Vizio's terrible banding, DSE, and video processing/upscaling better have improved significantly otherwise they're toast. TCL and Hisense have surpassed Vizio and are also cheaper, so Vizio has no wiggle room left.

For those only looking for the largest LCD possible, Sony's 900H is by far and away the best value set and blows away anything Vizio offers.
post #275 of 308 Old 06-30-2020, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagger3 View Post
Vizio's terrible banding, DSE, and video processing/upscaling better have improved significantly otherwise they're toast. TCL and Hisense have surpassed Vizio and are also cheaper, so Vizio has no wiggle room left.

For those only looking for the largest LCD possible, Sony's 900H is by far and away the best value set and blows away anything Vizio offers.

I have a PX75 and I hate it, but your statement re: the 900H "blows away" anything by Vizio is patently false. Banding is prevalent on the Sony and the Sony is not even close to being as bright as my PX75. Let's not hyperbolize, huh?
post #276 of 308 Old 06-30-2020, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by roach9 View Post
I have a PX75 and I hate it, but your statement re: the 900H "blows away" anything by Vizio is patently false. Banding is prevalent on the Sony and the Sony is not even close to being as bright as my PX75. Let's not hyperbolize, huh?

Vizio has been making junk for many years now, that's why their CTO who use to post here left the company. As you stated, you hate your PX75. The 900H is by far and away the best value large set for one's money, it's as simple as that.

Whatsmore, Vizio's OLED is already dead in the water. No one in their right mind would ever buy a Vizio OLED over an LG/Sony/Panasonic unless they were dramatically cheaper.. which they're not. Vizio doesn't know what they're doing.
post #277 of 308 Old 06-30-2020, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagger3 View Post
Vizio has been making junk for many years now, that's why their CTO who use to post here left the company. As you stated, you hate your PX75. The 900H is by far and away the best value large set for one's money, it's as simple as that.

Whatsmore, Vizio's OLED is already dead in the water. No one in their right mind would ever buy a Vizio OLED over an LG/Sony/Panasonic unless they were dramatically cheaper.. which they're not. Vizio doesn't know what they're doing.
You need to understand Vizio's business model: thinner margins to allow for competitive pricing using off the shelf parts to hit the best specs on paper. Vizio is only "junk" if you compare the quality/build of a $600 Vizio M to the $1200 Sony 900H (which sadly has worse specs on paper). But if you compare the $600 Vizio to a similarly priced Sony, what you'll see is that BOTH TVs are junk, but the Vizio will look better.
Zoland2020 likes this.
post #278 of 308 Old 06-30-2020, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by srozzo2 View Post
Thank you for the suggestion.. I was looking at the LG's till I discovered they dropped DTS support.. I have a setup with a Sony STR-DN1080 that I plan to use the Plex tv app and pass audio through eARC.. This will not work on LG and Samsung TV's since they dropped DTS support..
You may want to look into that with more precision. The TV itself will not decode and then play DTS through it's speakers but it can still pass it via eARC to your AVR from a streaming app. And of course, anything plugged into the AVR first will get it's DTS decoded in the AVR as usual.
post #279 of 308 Old 06-30-2020, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 46
According to bestbuy p series and px release date is August 2nd September 13th for the oleds
post #280 of 308 Old 06-30-2020, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by RynoW View Post
Several reasons. The main reason is that the PQX and 900H are similar prices, and they're the major HDMI 2.1 LCD TVs for this model year. A lot of people are looking to them as the gaming TVs to get for next-gen consoles this fall.

Samsung would also be in discussion, but people have been turned off by Samsung's refusal to adopt Dolbyvision, their choice to support HDMI 2.1 on only a single port, and the serious picture quality issues in Samsung's game mode (apparently this is not the case in the Samsung Q90T, but that is nearly twice the price of the X900H and PQX).

While the PQX has much better specs than the X900H, Sony generally has been better in every measure that isn't captured by nits or dimming zones (quality control, panel lottery, upscaling, banding, smart TV platform).

But at CES Vizio claimed to improve on some of those metrics where Sony typically had the edge, so we really won't know until comparisons/reviews drop.
Sony had really only one aspect better than Vizio and that's the upscaling of 720p or lower sources. Last years top Sony was advertised as having zero DSE yet still had DSE complaints from customers.

People keep knocking Vizio a peg or 2 more than the likes of Sony, Samsung and LG for selfish reasons. They don't want them to start pricing like the others
post #281 of 308 Old 06-30-2020, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2510 Post(s)
Liked: 2113
Quote:
Im not sure why everyone compares these TVs to a Sony X900H ? Sony did nothing in their midrange lineup since 2017. Every TV they have is basically a slightly improved X900E with the same amount of zones (or even less) etc.

I cant judge Vizio, but at least on paper they crush these Sonys.
The fluff overviews from Digital Trends and ABT are pretty positive on the Sony x900H. Sounds like Caleb/Digital Trends will be doing a comparison of it to the Samsung Q90T (unfortunately his test sample has a bad case of DSE). But you're right, on paper the x900H with its 16 zones is far from impressive. We'll soon see if Sony's magic dust is for real when more substantial reviews from rtings and Vincent/HDTVtest are posted.

I'm eager to see how Vizio's new super duper IQ processor performs in practice, IMO something they needed for years for upscaling and local dimming. Agreed, on paper the higher end Vizio models crush the x900H.

LG 65B8
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)
post #282 of 308 Old 06-30-2020, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1978 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Quote:
Thats what he or she is here for, to discourage anyone interested in a Vizio.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
post #283 of 308 Old 06-30-2020, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2510 Post(s)
Liked: 2113
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathodeRay View Post
You may want to look into that with more precision. The TV itself will not decode and then play DTS through it's speakers but it can still pass it via eARC to your AVR from a streaming app. And of course, anything plugged into the AVR first will get it's DTS decoded in the AVR as usual.
I heard the reason LG and Samsung can't pass DTS through is because you need their license to even do that. Sounds like that may not be correct.

LG 65B8
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)
post #284 of 308 Old 06-30-2020, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I found something interesting on Best Buy's description for these TVs....

Automatically optimizes Xbox and Playstation® gameplay with a unique suite of gaming features with* variable refresh rate that provide smoother graphics, more responsive gaming, and better 4K HDR picture quality *VRR and auto low latency mode only compatible with Xbox One X

VRR seems to only be compatible with an Xbox One X system and not a PS4. I'm wondering if that's because of the HDMI 2.0 limitation and Xbox One has FreeSync capabilities.
post #285 of 308 Old 06-30-2020, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
Quote:
Thats what he or she is here for, to discourage anyone interested in a Vizio.

I’ve had my 55” M series Vizio for 2 years now & thinks it’s a really nice set. Does it have DSE, sure in some bright scenes it’s a bit noticeable but it has really accurate color & looks great with HD & 4K sources. For the price Vizio charges for their TVs I think it’s a great buy. I will definitely be looking at the 65” PQX as I’m wanting a larger set in the near future.

Vizio M55-e0 Display Oppo 103D
NAD T758v3
SVS PB-1000 Sub
Chane A2.4 L-C-R
post #286 of 308 Old 06-30-2020, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post
Sony had really only one aspect better than Vizio and that's the upscaling of 720p or lower sources. Last years top Sony was advertised as having zero DSE yet still had DSE complaints from customers.

People keep knocking Vizio a peg or 2 more than the likes of Sony, Samsung and LG for selfish reasons. They don't want them to start pricing like the others
One thing I have found in this world people whinge and whine just for the sake of it. People go out of their way to find a problem even if it only exixts in their mind. Best off off ignoring the the bottom 10% of the world life is much happier when you do so.
Rf13 likes this.
post #287 of 308 Old 06-30-2020, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffo11 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post

People keep knocking Vizio a peg or 2 more than the likes of Sony, Samsung and LG for selfish reasons. They don't want them to start pricing like the others [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
One thing I have found in this world people whinge and whine just for the sake of it. People go out of their way to find a problem even if it only exixts in their mind. Best off off ignoring the the bottom 10% of the world life is much happier when you do so.
Agreed 100%!!!

Vizio M55-e0 Display Oppo 103D
NAD T758v3
SVS PB-1000 Sub
Chane A2.4 L-C-R
post #288 of 308 Old 06-30-2020, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saunupe19111 View Post

Automatically optimizes Xbox and Playstation® gameplay with a unique suite of gaming features with* variable refresh rate that provide smoother graphics, more responsive gaming, and better 4K HDR picture quality *VRR and auto low latency mode only compatible with Xbox One X

VRR seems to only be compatible with an Xbox One X system and not a PS4. I'm wondering if that's because of the HDMI 2.0 limitation and Xbox One has FreeSync capabilities.
Both have the same hardware, but Sony decided to omit support for some odd reason.

Samsung-UN65JS9500
LG-55UB8500
LG-65C7P
Samsung-65Q9FN
post #289 of 308 Old 06-30-2020, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rf13 View Post
Both have the same hardware, but Sony decided to omit support for some odd reason.

Microsoft has implemented Freesync over HDMI-VRR. Its still a 2.0 port on the Xbox, but features like VRR, ALLM or eARC work over the 18Gbps bandwith.
Sony probably did not implement it because almost every console game is locked at either 30 or 60fps. Games with variable refresh rate are pretty rare, but Wolfenstein for example has a Freesync option. Whole different story if you connect a PC though.
Bevmo and Rf13 like this.
post #290 of 308 Old 06-30-2020, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathodeRay View Post
Absolutely! I have been following both the LG CX-GX and Nano90 owners forums and Samsung’s Q800t and Q900t owners forums since their creations. Neither LG nor Samsung included the DTS decoder chip this year due to licensing costs. Without the decoding capability, they can’t pass DTS HD through from internal apps or HDMI devices. This has been confirmed on all 4 forums and is even noted on the FAQ first few posts in the CX owners forum. So, if anyone like myself, plan to use a nextgen console as their UHD player and want to use an Atmos setup with DTS HD soundtracks through eARC, forget Samsung and LG until HDMI 2.1 AVRs are available.

I do appreciate the help cathodeRay.. Thank you!
post #291 of 308 Old 07-01-2020, 02:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saunupe19111 View Post

Automatically optimizes Xbox and Playstation®️ gameplay with a unique suite of gaming features with* variable refresh rate that provide smoother graphics, more responsive gaming, and better 4K HDR picture quality *VRR and auto low latency mode only compatible with Xbox One X

That has nothing to do with Vizio but everything to do with Microsoft being on the bleeding edge with HDMI 2.1.

The Xbox One X came out in 2017. Microsoft used it to develop HDMI 2.1 features like VRR in collaboration with Samsung and the HDMI organization. That's why with the combination of a Xbox and Samsung Q Series TV, you could get VRR back in 2018.

The Xbox engineers have come out and said the X1X was basically a test of the HDMI 2.1 features found in the new Xbox Series X coming out this fall.
post #292 of 308 Old 07-01-2020, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Vizio OLED TV : 64-bit image processing
"To meet VIZIO's high performance standards, the company paired the OLED TV with the revolutionary IQ Ultra processor. With the addition of the new 3D color engine, viewers get a more accurate picture right out of the box. The all-new IQ Ultra's superb 64-bit image processing has the power to enhance contrast by adjusting the brightness of individual pixels, reducing noise, increasing detail and giving every image greater depth and dimension. The advanced IQ Ultra processor further enriches picture quality with AI and machine-learning capabilities."

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301085271.html

Thanks to @DanBa

post #293 of 308 Old 07-01-2020, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Turns out the IQ Ultra 64 bit processor is in the PX-P models, the other models will have IQ Active. No information on the processor image capabilities.

I remember pointing out this very reason why 2018 and 2019 models performed poorly, with processors that could not handle the level of brightness. Then having to map color gamuts D65 P3 and Rec.2020. Banding, poor gradients.

Upscaling should be the best from Vizio in many years.

PlanetAVS and Cam1977 like this.
post #294 of 308 Old 07-01-2020, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Just a quick reminder to those who are chomping at the bit to buy these right as they release.

If you punch in any of the 2019 Vizio models at a price tracking website like camelcamelcamel.com you will see just how fast the prices fell off of a cliff.

I wouldn't want to have been the first person to buy a Vizio TV since it wasn't uncommon to see them go on sale for close to 50% off of their launch price earlier this year. During Superbowl time the 75 inch was down to $1200.

If you are okay with that then go ahead, but for sets like the 85 probably next spring will be the ideal time to buy.

Just food for thought.
post #295 of 308 Old 07-01-2020, 11:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellofello808 View Post
Just a quick reminder to those who are chomping at the bit to buy these right as they release.

If you punch in any of the 2019 Vizio models at a price tracking website like camelcamelcamel.com you will see just how fast the prices fell off of a cliff.

I wouldn't want to have been the first person to buy a Vizio TV since it wasn't uncommon to see them go on sale for close to 50% off of their launch price earlier this year. During Superbowl time the 75 inch was down to $1200.

If you are okay with that then go ahead, but for sets like the 85 probably next spring will be the ideal time to buy.

Just food for thought.

My ideal time to buy is around Nov/Dec of this year.. that's when the wife leave the country to visit her family overseas for 2 months and I can quietly sneak in the new 85".. replacing last years PX75...

and she would know the difference... lol..
post #296 of 308 Old 07-07-2020, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Are there any updates since last week's """launch"""? Do we know if any review units have gone out?
post #297 of 308 Old 07-07-2020, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc-zombies View Post
My ideal time to buy is around Nov/Dec of this year.. that's when the wife leave the country to visit her family overseas for 2 months and I can quietly sneak in the new 85".. replacing last years PX75...

and she would know the difference... lol..
Well with her out of the country you won’t have to “sneak” anything in. You certainly don’t have to try and be quiet about it either
rc-zombies likes this.
post #298 of 308 Old 07-07-2020, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2487 Post(s)
Liked: 3723
Quote:
Originally Posted by RynoW View Post
Are there any updates since last week's """launch"""? Do we know if any review units have gone out?
August 2nd is the availability date according to Best Buy
post #299 of 308 Old 07-07-2020, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
August 2nd is the availability date according to Best Buy

Availability of the tv? Not the 85” though right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #300 of 308 Old 07-07-2020, 11:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2487 Post(s)
Liked: 3723
Quote:
Originally Posted by truefan31 View Post
Availability of the tv? Not the 85” though right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aug 2nd is the first availability of the set that we can see. The 85 is expected in the fall (no specific date)
mpgxsvcd likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page