2020 Vizio TVs announced. Up to 792 Zones! OLED included! Supports HDMI 2.1 FreeSync! - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #31 of 58 Old 01-07-2020, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
I noticed that, too. Mine's shipped, expecting soon. Yours still good?
Yes I like the set the color is outstanding has better contrast than my e series from 2018 also . I want to add that there are conflicting reports on Vizio's offerings for next year I have seen a couple of ads showing Vizio offering the 43 inch M again next year also. If you look at the promo on Vizio's website for the 2020 collection it shows the M in a 43 inch version also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 Old 01-07-2020, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Visio really seems to have stepped up this year with the display technology. 3000 nits and 85% REC 2020 are really leading stats!
SaskCanesFan likes this.
post #33 of 58 Old 01-07-2020, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Really liking the lineup this year and the addition of an 85" size. Hope the 85 becomes more mainstream in the next year or two and becomes available in the P or M series, that'll probably be my next living room TV upgrade to go with the new consoles. I'm quite happy with the 65" M8 I've got there right now, especially for the price.

TV: 65" LG E6 OLED
Receiver: Denon AVR-X3600H
Speakers: Polk RTiA5 fronts, CSiA6 centre, RTiA1 surrounds
Sub: SVS PB-3000
Sony UBP-X800, Xbox One X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 58 Old 01-07-2020, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked: 2358
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0hwell View Post
Yes I like the set the color is outstanding has better contrast than my e series from 2018 also . I want to add that there are conflicting reports on Vizio's offerings for next year I have seen a couple of ads showing Vizio offering the 43 inch M again next year also. If you look at the promo on Vizio's website for the 2020 collection it shows the M in a 43 inch version also.
Thanks for that heads-up. It wouldn't make sense to discontinue it after being named (by rtings) best TV in 40" - 43" category.

Related:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/be.../40-42-43-inch

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #35 of 58 Old 01-07-2020, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike123abc View Post
Visio really seems to have stepped up this year with the display technology. 3000 nits and 85% REC 2020 are really leading stats!
I believe the 2019 Quantum X model already claimed these same stats?

Dan
post #36 of 58 Old 01-07-2020, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomandan View Post

Dan
I was going by what rtings measured at 2373 peak brightness (10% hdr window) and 76.4% color volume for the 2019 Quantum X. I did not realized they claimed 3k nits on the 2019 model.
post #37 of 58 Old 01-07-2020, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomandan View Post

Dan
I was going by what rtings measured at 2373 peak brightness (10% hdr window) and 76.4% color volume for the 2019 Quantum X. I did not realized they claimed 3k nits on the 2019 model.

It just goes you the variance from panel to panel. I have the 2018 quantum which rtings measured 80% rec. 2020 and 2400 nits. I do think there measured in calibrated mode instead of vivid(torch mode).
I dont think the color or brightness will change much when reviewed. To me it's more about improved processing and upscaling as well as hdmi 2.1. Hopefully the new engine will improve upscaling, fald flicker as well as all the banding issues seen the last couple of years. If so I wouldn't mind picking up a 75 or if I can convince the wife 85 inch quantam X.
post #38 of 58 Old 01-07-2020, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'll keep my eye on this, mainly to see what dithering and/or subpixel shenanigans they try to pull.

TCL, for example, is hideous. Dithering so bad that it effectively cuts the screen resolution straight in half. Samsung TVs do just about the same thing—slightly less awful, and it can be (partially) defeated under some circumstances, which is the only reason I kept my Q70R.

Sony is the only maker who seems immune to this crap. And given that not even the most persnickety of professional review sites ever grade a TV for its dithering, I have to wonder just what's in it for them. Perhaps if the day finally comes that somebody puts their foot down and raises a decent fuss, Sony will be able to truthfully say they're the only ones who ever made 4K TVs that actually gave you all 4K.
post #39 of 58 Old 01-08-2020, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 133
In my opinion, Vizio had by far the best CES 2020.

• HDMI 2.1 on *EVERY* TV. Even the low-end. Everyone else was very obtuse about HDMI 2.1 availability. Even LG just has it on their high-end sets.
  • The Quantum X in 85" with all those dimming zones. All that brightness and color gamut. The best value big TV by far.
Now, put this against Sony, LG, Samsung and others being very coy about the exact specs of their entire lineup or the exact status of HDMI 2.1, and they look even better. I really don't give a damn about $60,000 rollup OLEDS or even 8K TVs for which there is now and will not be for awhile any content. I also don't care about micro or mini LED sets that aren't coming out this year or will be too expensive to consider.

What a breath of fresh air to have a company like Vizio come out and give us all the specs and models on an easy to read sheet like the one in the first post. Thank you, Vizio!

Pretty happy I didn't settle for that dim bloomfest LG 9070 this year. It was the only large affordable TV with full HDMI 2.1 this year.
Bevmo, Bklynblaze, lucacow and 3 others like this.
post #40 of 58 Old 01-08-2020, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_rangeBrew View Post

• HDMI 2.1 on *EVERY* TV. Even the low-end. Everyone else was very obtuse about HDMI 2.1 availability. Even LG just has it on their high-end sets.
  • The Quantum X in 85" with all those dimming zones. All that brightness and color gamut. The best value big TV by far.
Now, put this against Sony, LG, Samsung and others being very coy about the exact specs of their entire lineup or the exact status of HDMI 2.1, and they look even better. I really don't give a damn about $60,000 rollup OLEDS or even 8K TVs for which there is now and will not be for awhile any content. I also don't care about micro or mini LED sets that aren't coming out this year or will be too expensive to consider.

What a breath of fresh air to have a company like Vizio come out and give us all the specs and models on an easy to read sheet like the one in the first post. Thank you, Vizio!

Pretty happy I didn't settle for that dim bloomfest LG 9070 this year. It was the only large affordable TV with full HDMI 2.1 this year.
Vizio is usually a year or two behind when it comes to fully supporting all the current features found on other TV's. Extremely surprised how they appear to be back in the game this year. Looking forward to reviews and whether or not features performing as intended. This year I am disappointed they only reached 65" on the OLED's but the 85" QX should perform very close I hope.
post #41 of 58 Old 01-08-2020, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 134
I hope they fixed the bad upscaling and banding on their TVs.
post #42 of 58 Old 01-08-2020, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
Pray their OLEDs aren't like their LEDs.
post #43 of 58 Old 01-08-2020, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I've generally been pleased with Vizio. They aren't perfect, and rarely are they the "best", but value tends to be outstanding--and they do they make tradeoffs in areas where Samsung, Sony, etc., try to use to justify their under-performing overpriced TVs--style and form factor. I have no problem NOT paying for form factor (i.e. super thin, etc.). "Good enough" is the only criteria on form factor that I care about. Further, they're the only major manufacturer that continues to update their TV software in models as far back as 2016, TBOMK. Sony and LG... meh... one and done it seems for most model years, before they move on to only improving the current year's model. I imagine this may change with TCL Roku TVs. But that longer term support on software upgrades has impressed me enough to prefer Vizio to other brands--and since I'm ready for another upgrade, definitely pleased to see the 2020 options--particularly the 85" BEAST!

And while I can't disagree with some of the banding issues observed or the criticisms for the sub-par OS, let's not forget they've been using the same processor they had in their 2016 models--which were excellent for the price at the time, and, imo, the best 4k HDR value available (P-Series) back then. They obviously needed to improve the processor to keep up with the increasing demands of the OS and to maximize the panel capabilities. Hopefully, the updated processors in the 2020 models will solve some of the aforementioned issues.
Bevmo likes this.
post #44 of 58 Old 01-08-2020, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1864 Post(s)
Liked: 1126
Quote:
Calibrated vs Uncalibrated

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
post #45 of 58 Old 01-10-2020, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Suchocki View Post
I've generally been pleased with Vizio. They aren't perfect, and rarely are they the "best", but value tends to be outstanding--and they do they make tradeoffs in areas where Samsung, Sony, etc., try to use to justify their under-performing overpriced TVs--style and form factor. I have no problem NOT paying for form factor (i.e. super thin, etc.). "Good enough" is the only criteria on form factor that I care about. Further, they're the only major manufacturer that continues to update their TV software in models as far back as 2016, TBOMK. Sony and LG... meh... one and done it seems for most model years, before they move on to only improving the current year's model. I imagine this may change with TCL Roku TVs. But that longer term support on software upgrades has impressed me enough to prefer Vizio to other brands--and since I'm ready for another upgrade, definitely pleased to see the 2020 options--particularly the 85" BEAST!

And while I can't disagree with some of the banding issues observed or the criticisms for the sub-par OS, let's not forget they've been using the same processor they had in their 2016 models--which were excellent for the price at the time, and, imo, the best 4k HDR value available (P-Series) back then. They obviously needed to improve the processor to keep up with the increasing demands of the OS and to maximize the panel capabilities. Hopefully, the updated processors in the 2020 models will solve some of the aforementioned issues.

Yeah, in agreement on all of that. People forget that back in 2016, the Vizio brains were pretty damn good and their TVs were amazing regardless of price. In the past 4 years, that tech has got really long in the tooth and it's hurt them. If this new CPU with HDMI 2.1 turns out well and fixes the current issues... watch out.

My wife is going to be so mad when that giant 85" TV appears on the living room wall one day. Hopefully I can keep it in the settlement.
audiofan1 and lucacow like this.
post #46 of 58 Old 01-10-2020, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked: 654
Price check on the 85"?

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #47 of 58 Old 01-10-2020, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
This is the only concern I have and the reason I went with Sony 900F for den. If Vizio addresses and improves upscaling the 2020 85” Quantum X will be mine for my man cave.

It looks like..according to videos I’ve seen, that Vizio has also improved their OS. It seems much snappier and smoother now. Fingers crossed.
post #48 of 58 Old 01-10-2020, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 134
When does Vizio typically release their new TVs ?
post #49 of 58 Old 01-10-2020, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
When does Vizio typically release their new TVs ?
Normally between March and June.

Vizio P65-C1 (2016)
Onkyo Tx-NR656
JBL Studio Series (Front, Center, Right), JBL 250W Sub, Kenwood Rears, Onkyo Atmos Upfiring
LG UP970 UHD Player
Nvidia Shield TV
post #50 of 58 Old 01-10-2020, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post
Normally between March and June.

Discount Prices usually drops around September. and really drops on
Black Friday.
taz291819 likes this.
post #51 of 58 Old 01-12-2020, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_rangeBrew View Post

Vizio seems to be running circles around the higher end manufacturer's LCD sets this year. Samsung still doesn't want to support Dolby Vision, and is actually reducing the number of FALD zones in their QLED sets.

From what I know now, I would get a Vizio P-Series Quantum X or take a chance on burn in and get a LG CX.
post #52 of 58 Old 01-12-2020, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 99
For those that have seen the 85" PX model, how did it handle off axis viewing and reflections? Samsung is dealing with both very well albeit at a MUCH higher price, and they have finally addressed black crush (I saw the 950TS). I really hope Vizio has improved panel to panel consistency, DSE, banding and their processing. If those 4 things along with off axis viewing and better reflection control have improved then they will have a real winner.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Krister
post #53 of 58 Old 01-12-2020, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colmino View Post
Dithering so bad that it effectively cuts the screen resolution straight in half. Samsung TVs do just about the same thing—slightly less awful, and it can be (partially) defeated under some circumstances, which is the only reason I kept my Q70R.
how can it be defeated ?

and also - is dithering on Samsung only on the models with Ultra Wide Viewing Angles (like the Q90R) or on all QLEDs ?
post #54 of 58 Old 01-14-2020, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Interested in seeing how the 85” looks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #55 of 58 Old 01-14-2020, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Seems everyone is talking about the panels and zone count when I think the biggest deal here is the claim of better processing and upscaling with new chips. That should offer more real world benefit for common sources than any of the mechanical tech tweaks other than hopefully correcting any jail bars. These sort of artifacts etc are a lot more distracting when viewing than ultimate brightness or contrast unless those aspects are clearly not competitive. For me, fixing what's kinda broken was a lot more important than ramping up zone counts, etc.

I still don't like 2 different spec M series. I still think it's poor (form) marketing move that will confuse consumers. Guess which one they'll send for reviews and which will be the lead seller for unsuspecting joe average/
post #56 of 58 Old 01-14-2020, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 12
By chance, does anyone know the actual size measurements (including bezel) for the 85 inch P series set? I haven't been able to locate it anywhere but I have a somewhat tight space to fit this set into.

Thanks!
post #57 of 58 Old 01-14-2020, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsss12 View Post
By chance, does anyone know the actual size measurements (including bezel) for the 85 inch P series set? I haven't been able to locate it anywhere but I have a somewhat tight space to fit this set into.

Thanks!
should be similar in size as the competitors 85" screens... Sony and LG.
depth will be the biggest difference...
post #58 of 58 Old 01-14-2020, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Cool

Depending on the official specs of this year's game consoles, I might be in the market for a new TV this time next year. I'll definitely be keeping an eye (and ear) on the 85".

By spring time of 2021, not only will there be plenty of reviews but I'm sure the TV will have seen several price reductions.

TV: TCL 75R615
Reciever: Onkyo TX-NR787 running in a 5.4.4 configuration
Speakers: Polk T Series
Subwoofers: Dual SVS PB12-NSD and dual SVS PB-1000.
Gaming Systems: PlayStation 4 Pro and Nintendo Switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page