2020 Vizio TVs announced. Up to 792 Zones! OLED included! Supports HDMI 2.1 FreeSync! - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 161Likes

post #61 of 303 Old 02-11-2020, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I’m in the same boat. So disappointed in Sony and Samsung. I want nothing to do with 8K. So it’s a short list of Vizio, TCL, and Hisense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 303 Old 02-11-2020, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscroggin View Post
So it’s a short list of Vizio, TCL, and Hisense.
too bad none of those are realistic options in Europe
post #63 of 303 Old 02-11-2020, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
I’m in the same boat. So disappointed in Sony and Samsung. I want nothing to do with 8K. So it’s a short list of Vizio, TCL, and Hisense.

Samsung's just buying time for their next tech (micro-LED I think), which is both years and billion$ in development away. Since they had a lead in QLED, they're just doing incremental additions to get the most from that investment. They do it with all their products.

Sony - just a money-grab.

85" non-OLED value is the hole in the market. We'll see who tries to fill it. I think that's where Vizio should focus. Just can't see Vizio being an OLED heavy hitter because others are too far ahead in product release, reputation, and quality history.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 303 Old 02-11-2020, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked: 515
2020 Vizio TVs announced. Up to 792 Zones! OLED included! Supports HDMI 2.1 FreeSync!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardennj View Post
Samsung's just buying time for their next tech (micro-LED I think), which is both years and billion$ in development away. Since they had a lead in QLED, they're just doing incremental additions to get the most from that investment. They do it with all their products.

Sony - just a money-grab.

85" non-OLED value is the hole in the market. We'll see who tries to fill it. I think that's where Vizio should focus. Just can't see Vizio being an OLED heavy hitter because others are too far ahead in product release, reputation, and quality history.

I agree but with Samsung’s take on HDMI 2.1 not need due to streaming eliminates is as a viable option for me to buy as a gaming tv. Sad bc the Q70 82” is a great value and great input lag at 1440p 120. Not having vrr or earc really hurts me bc I use my gaming rig as a media hub also and need to connect a two cables from the 2080ti to get what I want out of it.

As far as Vizio oled I personally wouldn’t trust the first iteration. LG is light years ahead with burn in reduction tech and there are still several user reports of burn in from gaming. Way less now a days but I don’t want to be bothered needing to baby a 5k tv personally.

I’m shocked not a single person asked about 1440p support at CES. Especially since the tout the changes to be geared toward gamers specifically
mpgxsvcd likes this.

Always destroying exergy!
post #65 of 303 Old 02-11-2020, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 229
truthfully as a gamer I am fine with no [email protected] (though its good to have it)
[email protected] will do for now and then you just grab a 3080Ti and start making first steps into [email protected]

lack of a high-end 4K HDMI 2.1 LCD hurts me most of all
mpgxsvcd likes this.
post #66 of 303 Old 02-11-2020, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateDisplay View Post
truthfully as a gamer I am fine with no [email protected] (though its good to have it)
[email protected] will do for now and then you just grab a 3080Ti and start making first steps into [email protected]

lack of a high-end 4K HDMI 2.1 LCD hurts me most of all

I agree with the 3080ti making steps toward 4K 120 but I’m not convinced game developers won’t keep pushing the boundaries. Take cyberpunk for example. I’m guessing they really push visuals to the max and aim for 4K 60 with current max equipment. Doing a back to back on my 82” I honestly can’t tell a difference between 1440 and 4K personally but can tell the responsiveness of the 120 for sure. Not sure if it’s the reduced lag or the high refresh but the combination is very nice and will hold me over until we can truly achieve 4K 120 on a single card.

Always destroying exergy!
post #67 of 303 Old 02-11-2020, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkyle View Post
I agree but with Samsung’s take on HDMI 2.1 not need due to streaming eliminates is as a viable option for me to buy as a gaming tv. Sad bc the Q70 82” is a great value and great input lag at 1440p 120. Not having vrr or earc really hurts me bc I use my gaming rig as a media hub also and need to connect a two cables from the 2080ti to get what I want out of it.

As far as Vizio oled I personally wouldn’t trust the first iteration. LG is light years ahead with burn in reduction tech and there are still several user reports of burn in from gaming. Way less now a days but I don’t want to be bothered needing to baby a 5k tv personally.

I’m shocked not a single person asked about 1440p support at CES. Especially since the tout the changes to be geared toward gamers specifically
I’m speaking from the sports-watching, YT-Netflix-Etal streaming, OTA, app-streaming perspective. 85” would be perfect as a main watching screen. I don’t even have/own games. 2.1 would be good for sound and data but VRR/lag not really my domain.

I just want something that’s better than the current crop.
post #68 of 303 Old 02-19-2020, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Is an extended warranty a must have???

I'm interested in the 2020 85" set. I've read on the forum that this brand's QC is so-so (a panel lottery).
I never as a rule, buy an extended warranty but in this case I would make an exception. So I did an extended warranty search.
To be sure that I don't break any forum rules, I won't name the store, the private insurer or the bank.
I was stunned at the length of the coverage and its cost:
Manufacturer = 1 year
Store = 1 year
Private Insurer = 3 years
Bank card = 2 years
Total coverage = 7 years
By paying off the bank card instantly (I never pay interest), my total cost for 7 years of coverage would be only $100. I would sleep at night with this coverage.
Even with this 2020 set in the room.
post #69 of 303 Old 02-19-2020, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked: 3654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite N. P. View Post
I'm interested in the 2020 85" set. I've read on the forum that this brand's QC is so-so (a panel lottery).
I never as a rule, buy an extended warranty but in this case I would make an exception. So I did an extended warranty search.
To be sure that I don't break any forum rules, I won't name the store, the private insurer or the bank.
I was stunned at the length of the coverage and its cost:
Manufacturer = 1 year
Store = 1 year
Private Insurer = 3 years
Bank card = 2 years
Total coverage = 7 years
By paying off the bank card instantly (I never pay interest), my total cost for 7 years of coverage would be only $100. I would sleep at night with this coverage.
Even with this 2020 set in the room.
That's the standard cost for purchasing through Costco with a Square Trade warranty and paying with their Costco Visa card. The value of the Square Trade warranty is debatable though, as many owners have reported that in the event of a claim, Square Trade has a history of offering low ball inferior replacements.
post #70 of 303 Old 02-21-2020, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 994 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
That's the standard cost for purchasing through Costco with a Square Trade warranty and paying with their Costco Visa card. The value of the Square Trade warranty is debatable though, as many owners have reported that in the event of a claim, Square Trade has a history of offering low ball inferior replacements.
That is definatly not the case with me or anyone I've known with a Square Trade warranty. Depending on how long you've owned the TV any replacement would be an upgrade just because of the normal March of technology and the lower prices available.
lucacow likes this.
post #71 of 303 Old 02-25-2020, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 7
When are these TV's expected to release? When did the Vizio's release last year (tried to find out so as to have a good of when the new ones would release, but couldn't find anything)?
post #72 of 303 Old 02-25-2020, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The 2019 owners thread started in May so I’m guessing it will be available around May this year also. As long as the pricing is good I plan on getting the 85” as soon as it’s released.
mpgxsvcd likes this.
post #73 of 303 Old 02-25-2020, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
That is definatly not the case with me or anyone I've known with a Square Trade warranty. Depending on how long you've owned the TV any replacement would be an upgrade just because of the normal March of technology and the lower prices available.
PlanetAVS is right. I've seen many threads of people asking for advice of what to do with the choices that SquareTrade has given them, and frequently it ranges from "no thank you" to "get outta here with that!"

post #74 of 303 Old 02-25-2020, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post
PlanetAVS is right. I've seen many threads of people asking for advice of what to do with the choices that SquareTrade has given them, and frequently it ranges from "no thank you" to "get outta here with that!"

I have seen that as well. However, I have also read multiple successes in getting a suitable replacement. All it took was a little back and forth. I imagine that the majority of claims are settled without any objections.

Luckily for us AVSers we can guide and/or ensure that we actually get a worthy replacement.

Still do not see the negative in this. For the price, Squaretrade is hard to beat. As long as you don’t have an OLED of course, in which case, you should buy it from Best Buy and get the Geek Squad Warranty that does cover BI.

post #75 of 303 Old 02-25-2020, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucacow View Post
I have seen that as well. However, I have also read multiple successes in getting a suitable replacement. All it took was a little back and forth. I imagine that the majority of claims are settled without any objections.

Luckily for us AVSers we can guide and/or ensure that we actually get a worthy replacement.

Still do not see the negative in this. For the price, Squaretrade is hard to beat. As long as you don’t have an OLED of course, in which case, you should buy it from Best Buy and get the Geek Squad Warranty that does cover BI.

Exactly, ST opens with a lowball offer and the consumer needs to be smart enough to negotiate it rather than just accept it. Apparently this is the norm since they were acquired by Allstate
post #76 of 303 Old 02-26-2020, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked: 739
ST is probably the cheapest warranty you'll find, so I'm not saying that it doesn't have any merits. The fact that they try to low ball you consistently, with their opening offer is something that everyone should be aware of though. The fact that not everyone is successful when they push back on those consistent low ball offers, is something that people should be aware of, as well.

post #77 of 303 Old 02-27-2020, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I’m looking at a ‘19 75”p now but this thread has me wondering if I should hold off for the 2020. My wife and I watch a lot of hockey, and she’s on board with this, but the banding issue would really kill this for us. A previous poster commented on how good vizio is with firmware updates. Would the ‘19 be updatable to ‘20 specs with firmware or is it a hardware upgrade leaving the ‘19 stuck where it’s at?
post #78 of 303 Old 02-27-2020, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 120
with Covid-19.. i'm assuming there will be a delay in releasing the 2020 models..
since majority of the LCD panels are manufactured in China..

I guess we may have to hold out a little longer for the 85" Quantum X...
post #79 of 303 Old 02-27-2020, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs3023 View Post
I’m looking at a ‘19 75”p now but this thread has me wondering if I should hold off for the 2020. My wife and I watch a lot of hockey, and she’s on board with this, but the banding issue would really kill this for us. A previous poster commented on how good vizio is with firmware updates. Would the ‘19 be updatable to ‘20 specs with firmware or is it a hardware upgrade leaving the ‘19 stuck where it’s at?
The 2020 P is getting an upgraded Processor. The 2019 model could get certain upgrades via firmware however.

I would wait if you can but don't expect any discounts from MSRP until at least July (based on previous years history).
BousquetP likes this.
post #80 of 303 Old 02-29-2020, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Will I have to get a new receiver to match the hdmi 2.1? Or will my denon 2018 model be fine? thanks
post #81 of 303 Old 02-29-2020, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacos View Post
Will I have to get a new receiver to match the hdmi 2.1? Or will my denon 2018 model be fine? thanks
The 2018 Denons were supposed to have eARC capability out of the box so you should be fine.
post #82 of 303 Old 02-29-2020, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You will have to wait for new receivers if you want to take advantage of the hdmi 2.1. The only receivers I have seen announced so far are Yamaha. Some Marantaz will pass thru vrr. Not sure about Denon. It’s driving me crazy waiting but it is what it is.

post #83 of 303 Old 02-29-2020, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Price in the 85?
krholmberg likes this.
post #84 of 303 Old 02-29-2020, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
You will have to wait for new receivers if you want to take advantage of the hdmi 2.1. The only receivers I have seen announced so far are Yamaha. Some Marantaz will pass thru vrr. Not sure about Denon. It’️s driving me crazy waiting but it is what it is.

See post above.... Earc. This set is supposed to have 5 hdmi inputs all hdmi 2.1 compliant. So everything hooks to the tv and avr only used for audio( including higher bit rate sources. I will use the tv mainly for pc gaming so uncompressed sound working with this tv is a priority for me. I'll wait for reviews before taking plunge.
post #85 of 303 Old 02-29-2020, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
The 2020 P is getting an upgraded Processor. The 2019 model could get certain upgrades via firmware however.

I would wait if you can but don't expect any discounts from MSRP until at least July (based on previous years history).
Thanks for the advice. I will wait. Currently watching on a 60" LG plasma that I'm happy with.
post #86 of 303 Old 04-11-2020, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 99
So...how in the world does Vizio support HDR10+/HDMI 2.1 on "all ports", including their lowest tier models, when even the likes of Sony, who apparently only supports those features on their mid-range 2020 models, can only support it on two ports, with no such support for HDR10+ and Freesync?
Bahn Yuki likes this.
post #87 of 303 Old 04-11-2020, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoh89 View Post
So...how in the world does Vizio support HDR10+/HDMI 2.1 on "all ports", including their lowest tier models, when even the likes of Sony, who apparently only supports those features on their mid-range 2020 models, can only support it on two ports, with no such support for HDR10+ and Freesync?
Sony can support it. They chose not to.
mpgxsvcd, THX1720, lucacow and 1 others like this.
post #88 of 303 Old 04-11-2020, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoh89 View Post
They want you to buy the high-end 8K TVs to get al the features.
THX1720 and PlanetAVS like this.
post #89 of 303 Old 04-25-2020, 04:16 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Do we have any idea when we will start to find out more details on the 2020 Vizio lin

I am interested in the 2020 p series 85 inch. When does Vizio generally launch their TVs?

If the price reduction the 2019 sets received is any indication, it may be crazy to buy day one. However I am very interested in how it will perform.
rc-zombies likes this.
post #90 of 303 Old 04-25-2020, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellofello808 View Post
I am interested in the 2020 p series 85 inch. When does Vizio generally launch their TVs?

If the price reduction the 2019 sets received is any indication, it may be crazy to buy day one. However I am very interested in how it will perform.
Usually in mid May but there's a good chance of delays this year due to supply chain disruption due to the virus.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page