Sony TV News from CES 2020 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 139Likes

post #31 of 282 Old 01-07-2020, 03:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimon.Zorg View Post
We'll see. If X95 will get real improvement in dimmng control and zones number (100 zones and higher).
"Sony declined to specify the number of dimming zones or peak brightness but said that its 95 series produces "6 times the contrast of our conventional LED TVs" and confirmed that it can exceed 1000 nits brightness. X900H (XH90) has lower peak brightness." - Source

"Six times the contrast" is the same as the X900F and X950G. Going by that, the number of zones has stayed the same as on those two TVs, and the brightness will be about the same as the X950G.

There's always a possibility the dimming algorithm has been tweaked, of course. We'll find out in time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 282 Old 01-07-2020, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
We'll see. If X95 will get real improvement in dimmng control and zones number (100 zones and higher).
I really don't get where SONY is messing up or if it is wantedly pulling back on what it can truly deliver due to lack of competition or for some other unknown reason. Either Z9D was a fluke or experimental mistake dues to some unknown element or had high failure rate(which if is the case, I am uninformed of) that SONY is not working in that direction.

Besides that it looks like I will have to hold off purchase plans for another year, unless some new additions are made at later time(SONY has not done that in a long time, last I remember was probably W series of LCDs which was launched unexpectedly).
tjcinnamon and MLM87 like this.
post #33 of 282 Old 01-07-2020, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1343 Post(s)
Liked: 863
We have very little info on specific details and specs on these new models!
This thread seems like it’s starting to be the Z9F/G again! Lots of negativity, it’s only day 1 and we haven’t even gotten 1st impressions yet from the display models at the show!
I’ve been waiting 3 years to buy a 75 inch panel thats right for me, I’m hoping the Z8H is it! We know it has 2.1 HDMI, but the question is how many ports? How wide is the foot print for the leg stand? How are the blacks and contrast? Zones, nits? We know nothing less than 24hrs in lol
HoustonHoyaFan and tjcinnamon like this.

Sony 55 A9F
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700
Denon X4500H AVR
Klipsch 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos with Martin Logan 1000W SUB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 282 Old 01-07-2020, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by KING DRANZER View Post
I really don't get where SONY is messing up or if it is wantedly pulling back on what it can truly deliver due to lack of competition or for some other unknown reason. Either Z9D was a fluke or experimental mistake dues to some unknown element or had high failure rate(which if is the case, I am uninformed of) that SONY is not working in that direction.

Besides that it looks like I will have to hold off purchase plans for another year, unless some new additions are made at later time(SONY has not done that in a long time, last I remember was probably W series of LCDs which was launched unexpectedly).

I'm proud owner of 65Z9D and there where times when I should gladely change some contrast for i.e. no DSE. But i.e of axis picture quality change - while obvious - do not make me eager to change anything (maybe cause I'm aware that I can rectify this by just sitting in center). What I'm trying to say - there is no perfect panel, and differente people reacts differently to different imperfections. I guess sony is just trying to cover most of those people by offering different types of i.e. Z9 flavours
Z9D has good contrast, but of axis is so bad that even if you watch 1 meter of center axis - you will se deifferent contrast on corners closest to your eyes (superb) - against those far ones (so so). Also my instance of Z9D has some DSE, not obvious in movies, but obvious on camera panning shots in football (I must say - obvious to me, nobody else who watched my TV saw it)
So I'm really thinking of taking a little contrast hit with Z9G but with uniform contrast from a little angle, and no DSE. The operating words in last sentence are "little contrast" and I'm still not sure is it just a little. And if this no Z9H assumption is true - than I do not have any other option - go for Z9G or wait for Z9I (announce CES 2021 - in stores summer 2021, so a year and a half from now, having in mind I will probably have to wait another 6months for a first price drop - it seems very long time to wait )
tjcinnamon likes this.

TV Sony 65-ZD9
TV Sony 55-930D
A/V receiver Onkyo TX-NR636 (5.1 Speaker setup)
PS4 PRO
post #35 of 282 Old 01-07-2020, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2471 Post(s)
Liked: 1432
Sony always declines the number of dimming zones unless it is a lot, even then they only give hints...like share a pick like this..

brickyardz likes this.
post #36 of 282 Old 01-07-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCro View Post
I'm proud owner of 65Z9D and there where times when I should gladely change some contrast for i.e. no DSE. But i.e of axis picture quality change - while obvious - do not make me eager to change anything (maybe cause I'm aware that I can rectify this by just sitting in center). What I'm trying to say - there is no perfect panel, and differente people reacts differently to different imperfections. I guess sony is just trying to cover most of those people by offering different types of i.e. Z9 flavours
Z9D has good contrast, but of axis is so bad that even if you watch 1 meter of center axis - you will se deifferent contrast on corners closest to your eyes (superb) - against those far ones (so so). Also my instance of Z9D has some DSE, not obvious in movies, but obvious on camera panning shots in football (I must say - obvious to me, nobody else who watched my TV saw it)
So I'm really thinking of taking a little contrast hit with Z9G but with uniform contrast from a little angle, and no DSE. The operating words in last sentence are "little contrast" and I'm still not sure is it just a little. And if this no Z9H assumption is true - than I do not have any other option - go for Z9G or wait for Z9I (announce CES 2021 - in stores summer 2021, so a year and a half from now, having in mind I will probably have to wait another 6months for a first price drop - it seems very long time to wait )

It is obvious that it is bad off axis and to be specific it gets bad when viewed over 35° angle. In majority of installations seating arrangement is within 30-35° even in 7 seat setup with 3 seats in center and 2 on either side. Even the left most and right most seating is at max 35° from opposite corner of TV.

Unless one have bad seating arrangement which 90% of consumers buying TV at this high budget range don't the viewing angle should not be an issue. At mid range I agree with you as people buy and fit in a cramped room and with unsuitable seating position. For that reason all the major brands including SONY have IPS displays.

At high end we only care for the picture quality with little to no compromise.

Yes Z9D suffers with fast movements like sports(so is the case with X930E) but that is small trade-off for the movie watching experience it delivers.

All in all I am jealous of you

Yes we will see if there is Z9H if not then will wait till next year. Before all this I will check out how bad X95H and Z8H is, if they improve and overcome the shortcomings of previous years I will gladly go with it.
tjcinnamon likes this.
post #37 of 282 Old 01-07-2020, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So, I've got to assume that the existence of a future 4K/120Hz firmware upgrade for the X900H means they f'ed up the messaging for the X950H. Either:

1.) The X950H will ALSO get a future upgrade to 4K/120Hz.

or

2.) The X950H will ship with 4K/120Hz support.

or

3.) The X950H really won't have 4K/120Hz support at ALL. This sounds crazy, but I guess its possible since the X900H and X950H are probably using different chipsets.

Any way you slice it, they really messed up the messaging here. I'm guessing none of the journalists have grilled Sony on this yet?
Jim Kiler and tjcinnamon like this.
post #38 of 282 Old 01-07-2020, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:

That's about right. Last truly innovative year was 2013 when they released the 4k 900A with quantum dots. Everything the last few years is just a lackluster sequence tacking on the next letter of the alphabet. By the way, the color on the 900A still puts anything Sony released since to shame (HDR excluded).
post #39 of 282 Old 01-07-2020, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked: 455
No mention of improved AR coatings. I elected to purchase the Samsung 82Q90 because of it's far superior rejection of room reflections over Sony in my bright viewing environment. Looking forward to hearing about this.

JVC RS600 Chad-callibrated, 120" 1.3g in Batcave HT, Denon X8500 Polk LSiM703 fronts,
RTi-12 rears, LSiM 706 center, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, FXiA4 Bi-pole sides,
LSiC CH, Infinity 6" VOG. 4X 12" subs w/mini DSP on sub 1 and nearfield 18" from sub 2.

Last edited by Ted99; 01-11-2020 at 12:18 PM. Reason: senior moment
post #40 of 282 Old 01-07-2020, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
So I'm really thinking of taking a little contrast hit with Z9G but with uniform contrast from a little angle, and no DSE. The operating words in last sentence are "little contrast" and I'm still not sure is it just a little.
You can read this post - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post59039874

The owner thinks that Z9G has best PQ even comparing with high-end projector and OLED. I don't think Z9G will disappoint you.
post #41 of 282 Old 01-07-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomase View Post
So, I've got to assume that the existence of a future 4K/120Hz firmware upgrade for the X900H means they f'ed up the messaging for the X950H. Either:

1.) The X950H will ALSO get a future upgrade to 4K/120Hz.

or

2.) The X950H will ship with 4K/120Hz support.

or

3.) The X950H really won't have 4K/120Hz support at ALL. This sounds crazy, but I guess its possible since the X900H and X950H are probably using different chipsets.

Any way you slice it, they really messed up the messaging here. I'm guessing none of the journalists have grilled Sony on this yet?

By the time those TVs are set to launch most probably they will be shipped with 4K/120Hz enabled unless they are holding it back as there is no 4K/120Hz source supporting HDMI 2.1. Unless that is the case it will be shipped with 4K/120Hz enabled.
post #42 of 282 Old 01-07-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:

The owner thinks that Z9G has best PQ even comparing with high-end projector and OLED. I don't think Z9G will disappoint you.

He definitely did not test it against SONY OLED side by side and no matter how high-end the projector is and how dark and well equipped the room is it cannot match a TV. If he is comparing to LG OLED then yes he is right as even the X950G is better than OLED for retaining details and producing accurate colors while being brighter when needed.

Z9G is 8K which is good but when it comes to back light control in dark scenes it is no good as there is good visible blooming when viewed in dark room. If viewed in bright room then there is no problem. Z9G is way better than its competition. Z9G is definitely top tier but I have experienced better.
post #43 of 282 Old 01-07-2020, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
It's fine for those who need it, but their product lineup, marketing, and lapdog reviewers seem to be conveying that everybody should/will have it.
welp, they added it to the Z8H... I hope it's not a terrible as the Z9F implementation which killed the reviews.
Panson likes this.

NAD 758 v3 with Dirac 7.6.4 + Rotel 976 + Panamax M5300-PM + B6 OLED 65
Speakers: Paradigm Prestige 75F's + 55C; 8x Paradigm CI Pro P65-R's
Subs1: 2x LRK Build Thread + 2x Rotel 981 (bridged); retired: VRK Build thread
Subs2: 2x Rythmik LVX12; 2x Dayton HF 12's Ultra-NearField + Crown XLS 2002
MiniDSP HD & Non; DIY Room Treatments: Dutch Floral Prints
post #44 of 282 Old 01-07-2020, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbino421 View Post
We have very little info on specific details and specs on these new models!
This thread seems like it’s starting to be the Z9F/G again! Lots of negativity, it’s only day 1 and we haven’t even gotten 1st impressions yet from the display models at the show!
I’ve been waiting 3 years to buy a 75 inch panel thats right for me, I’m hoping the Z8H is it! We know it has 2.1 HDMI, but the question is how many ports? How wide is the foot print for the leg stand? How are the blacks and contrast? Zones, nits? We know nothing less than 24hrs in lol
Same boat! I've got the upgrade bug in 2020 and I know I want 8K. I'm normally LG OLED but their 8K is a designer super slim version which I won't be able to afford. I don't want to do the 77" CX because of lack of 8K. I'm hoping this Z8H can deliver. It's including X-Wide Angle which is a big let down/unknown given the poor showing with the Z9F.

post #45 of 282 Old 01-07-2020, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCro View Post
It's the Z8H so it's not a master series (whatever that means). Are you saying the X-Wide Angle reduces DSE?

post #46 of 282 Old 01-07-2020, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It is obvious that it is bad off axis and to be specific it gets bad when viewed over 35° angle. In majority of installations seating arrangement is within 30-35° even in 7 seat setup with 3 seats in center and 2 on either side. Even the left most and right most seating is at max 35° from opposite corner of TV.

Unless one have bad seating arrangement which 90% of consumers buying TV at this high budget range don't the viewing angle should not be an issue. At mid range I agree with you as people buy and fit in a cramped room and with unsuitable seating position. For that reason all the major brands including SONY have IPS displays.

At high end we only care for the picture quality with little to no compromise.

Yes Z9D suffers with fast movements like sports(so is the case with X930E) but that is small trade-off for the movie watching experience it delivers.

All in all I am jealous of you

Yes we will see if there is Z9H if not then will wait till next year. Before all this I will check out how bad X95H and Z8H is, if they improve and overcome the shortcomings of previous years I will gladly go with it.
If they do have a Z9H, I hope it's released in June and I hope they have a 75"

post #47 of 282 Old 01-07-2020, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

That cost is painful to look at though... No way it drops below $6000

post #48 of 282 Old 01-07-2020, 11:16 AM

As we are at it discussing how SONY CES2020 reveal of upcoming line-up was a disappointment for at-least half of the crowd. Lets discuss how SONY will be pricing the models.

My take on the matter is that as SONY(or for matter of fact all three top guns) are releasing all the models with a 85" variant I hope they cut down price by size a notch. If they offer 65" for price of 55" and so on that would turn up to be a step towards getting 8K to mainstream. Wouldn't be surprised if that happens.

At-least since release of SAMSUNG QLED SONY TVs turned to become affordable option compared to what SAMSUNG is offering at a greater price and still not able to deliver the picture quality worthy of that premium price tag.
aaronwt, tjcinnamon and Panson like this.
post #49 of 282 Old 01-07-2020, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 2376
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcinnamon View Post
welp, they added it to the Z8H... I hope it's not a terrible as the Z9F implementation which killed the reviews.
Z9F's experienced resurgence lately, thanks to a $2200 discount in some cases. Showing that people can overlook some things, if pricing is better/realistic.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #50 of 282 Old 01-07-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Z9F's experienced resurgence lately, thanks to a $2200 discount in some cases. Showing that people can overlook some things, if pricing is better/realistic.
I don't get the point of still listing Z9D on official website with price and "Where to Buy" button which has been useless for years now as that model went out of stock long ago and is discontinued. Same is the case with E series models.
Panson likes this.
post #51 of 282 Old 01-07-2020, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As we are at it discussing how SONY CES2020 reveal of upcoming line-up was a disappointment for at-least half of the crowd. Lets discuss how SONY will be pricing the models.

My take on the matter is that as SONY(or for matter of fact all three top guns) are releasing all the models with a 85" variant I hope they cut down price by size a notch. If they offer 65" for price of 55" and so on that would turn up to be a step towards getting 8K to mainstream. Wouldn't be surprised if that happens.

At-least since release of SAMSUNG QLED SONY TVs turned to become affordable option compared to what SAMSUNG is offering at a greater price and still not able to deliver the picture quality worthy of that premium price tag.
Samsung is not an option for me until they pick up Dolby Vision. Given how prevalent that is with Netflix and Disney+, I don't see it going away and those are my two largest sources of HDR content.

post #52 of 282 Old 01-07-2020, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Anxious to see what else Sony unveils this week.
post #53 of 282 Old 01-07-2020, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 View Post
Anxious to see what else Sony unveils this week.
when else are they presenting?

post #54 of 282 Old 01-07-2020, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcinnamon View Post
when else are they presenting?
I don't know. I don't follow the show closely. Just wanting to see all of the 2020 TV models
post #55 of 282 Old 01-07-2020, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
If he is comparing to LG OLED then yes he is right as even the X950G is better than OLED for retaining details and producing accurate colors while being brighter when needed.
No way. I had X900E/XF900F/Q9FN and I'm LG OLED owner now.
Gillietalls and Stuntman_Mike like this.
post #56 of 282 Old 01-07-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
No way. I had X900E/XF900F/Q9FN and I'm LG OLED owner now.
You tell me which of the above had most accurate color grading and lossless shadow detail.
Couch Viking likes this.
post #57 of 282 Old 01-07-2020, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_to_4K View Post
Sony Z8H is not a master series. Seems like a big downgrade over Z9G.
The Z series has been a downgrade every time since the Z9D.
Cuthalu likes this.
post #58 of 282 Old 01-07-2020, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked: 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by XadeX View Post
That's about right. Last truly innovative year was 2013 when they released the 4k 900A with quantum dots. Everything the last few years is just a lackluster sequence tacking on the next letter of the alphabet. By the way, the color on the 900A still puts anything Sony released since to shame (HDR excluded).

THIS! I still own a Sony W900a. The best 1080p TV made. I also have a C9 which I really like. But this CES has been flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
post #59 of 282 Old 01-07-2020, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
THIS! I still own a Sony W900a. The best 1080p TV made. I also have a C9 which I really like. But this CES has been flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To add on more to this I completely agree. I look at my x930c everyday and while other models they have are better its certainly not a revolution and nothing worth upgrading to.
post #60 of 282 Old 01-07-2020, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 View Post
I don't know. I don't follow the show closely. Just wanting to see all of the 2020 TV models
Oh, I think they are already announced.... Unfortunately... I was hoping for a 75" Z9G or something like it.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1578348002
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1578348000

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page