Skyworth 8K QLED & 4K OLED for U.S. Introduced at CES 2020 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes
  • 6 Post By Demoth2000
  • 2 Post By FrankKD
  • 1 Post By Hetfieldjames
  • 1 Post By Clesarie
  • 1 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By derreckla
  • 1 Post By Dave-T
  • 1 Post By imagic
  • 2 Post By derreckla
  • 1 Post By ray0414

post #1 of 22 Old 01-08-2020, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 463 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked: 16547
Skyworth 8K QLED & 4K OLED for U.S. Introduced at CES 2020

Skyworth is one of the Chinese brands at CES that's coming to the U.S. with several new, premium TVs in the LED, QLED and OLED categories.

Full press release:

LAS VEGAS, Jan. 5, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- As the 52nd Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas, Nevada, kicks off, SKYWORTH - China's leading TV brand and a global pioneer of big-screen AIoT – held its first global product launch and press conference for global media in the United States. At the "See the Wonder" event, SKYWORTH officially launched two new premium TV series, both of which will be available globally, as well as in the U.S. market, in 2020: the Q91, its first 8K TV available in the U.S. and other markets, and the W81, the company's wallpaper-thin OLED TV. SKYWORTH also shared details about its proprietary technologies, approach to product innovation and design, global market performance and ambitions, and highlighted the company's leading position among smart home brands as consumers turn towards high-end TV models with forward-looking technology.

Tony Wang, Chief Executive and President of SKYWORTH TV, said, "As a leading brand in the TV and smart home industry, SKYWORTH is moving ahead with a focus on building a premium brand, continuous innovation in technology and products, and ushering in the era of big-screen AIoT. SKYWORTH aims to become the brand that leads the consumer electronics market of the future, offering 8K TVs and flagship-level OLED TVs, among other differentiated products, that meet the demands of the growing middle class."

SKYWORTH's first 8K TV, the Q91 series: Reality, Realized

As the mainstream TV market begins to shift away from 4K LCD TVs to address consumer desires for ultra-high-definition picture quality, the demand for higher quality TVs is growing stronger. Therefore, at CES SKYWORTH launched the latest in its Q series of TVs, the Q91. Q stands for "quality", and that is exactly what the Q91 provides for users who value the highest-end products and viewing experience. As SKYWORTH's first 8K TV available in the U.S. and other markets, the Q91 allows viewers to see realistic image quality combined with intelligent performance.

With four times higher resolution than 4K, the 8K Q91 series offers image quality that rivals reality, supported by 120fps 8K for a smoother picture. The SoC supports 8K hardware decoding for up to 60fps, making 8K picture quality naturally smooth. The Q91 series adopts an 8K IPS LED hard screen, which arranges the liquid crystal molecules horizontally, offering wider viewing angles, faster response and more. It maintains a consistent and clear image from any angle, so the picture maintains color and optimal brightness.

The 8K AI Image Processing Engine uses advanced image recognition and processing technology to improve the contrast, color and clarity of the picture, while intelligently modifying lower-resolution video content to closer to 8K resolution. The bezel-less 75-inch screen enables viewers to enjoy unrestricted viewing with a wide viewing angle of 178 degrees. In addition, the Q91 features Dolby Vision imaging technology, offering ultra-vivid picture quality – incredible brightness, contrast, color and detail that bring entertainment to life before your eyes. The Q91 series also provides an immersive audio experience with Dolby Atmos 2.1.2, as well as a HiFi passive filter and SKYWORTH's Wonder Audio Sky Echo built into the SoundBar, which moves soundwaves upwards to echo precisely into the user's ears.

The 75-inch Q91 will be priced at US $5,999.

SKYWORTH's wallpaper-thin OLED TV, the W81 and W81 Pro: See the Wonder

As the first Chinese manufacturer of OLED basic modules (OBM), SKYWORTH launched its first self-manufactured OBM OLED TV series, the W81 and W81 Pro. As part of the "wonder" series, the cutting-edge W81 models offer an amazing viewing experience and sleek design.

Inspired by the thin and light qualities of paper, the design of the W81 series is elegant and modern. The signature one-line design of the lower frame offers a minimalistic yet practical feel, with the microphone array and AI camera embedded on a thin illuminated line, while the combination of glass and metallic materials convey a sense of cleanliness and strength. At only 4.6mm thick at its slimmest point, the OLED screen seamlessly attaches to the wall. A 21-inch secondary display on the W81 Pro, equipped with the Swaiot OS, shows always-on information such as time and weather, as well as real-time updates including IoT device responses. With Dolby Vision, an ultra-wide viewing angle, expert image calibration, blue-light filtering for eye health and SOBiF non-afterimage technology, together with Dolby Atmos immersive audio, the W81 series offers a world-class entertainment experience in the comfort of your home.

The W81 series can also be paired with the Swaiot PANEL, a new 4-inch or 10.1-inch supplementary display powered by SKYWORTH's Swaiot OS that automatically syncs with the program being played on the main TV. It will be available for purchase separately and will be compatible with other SKYWORTH TVs in the near future.

The 65" W81 and 65" W81 Pro will retail for US $3,599 and US $4,599 respectively. Pricing and availability for the 77" W81 Pro will be announced at a later date.

20 years of overseas expansion: SKYWORTH's global strategy

The launch of the Q91 and W81 series products at CES 2020 marks an important milestone in SKYWORTH's international business strategy. The company has a 20-year history of overseas presence, starting from its early days as an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) to eventually operating its own brand. Now present in multiple international markets including the United States, Germany and Southeast Asia, SKYWORTH is a leading Chinese technology brand with demonstrated success on the international stage.

At the press conference, Mr. Wang said, "SKYWORTH's overseas business has achieved strong development through its own brand management and strategic OEM capabilities. We have grown in markets like the Netherlands and Germany, where we have overseas R&D centers, and have expanded our production base from China to Germany, Indonesia, South Africa, Poland, India and other countries. SKYWORTH's outstanding performance in overseas markets demonstrates the power of our brand."

Leo Tang, Chief Brand Officer of SKYWORTH TV added, "Over our 31-year history, SKYWORTH has always dared to be first. Not only have we developed our own leading big-screen AIoT ecosystem and led the industry into the AIoT era, but we have also been widely recognized by consumers for our own innovative technology and high-quality products, due in part to our in-depth understanding of target audiences. We are proud of our growing international position as a company focused on creating and delivering premium products and services to our users, which demonstrates both the depth and breadth of our brand, as well as our ability to lead the industry to a brighter future."

Also present at the launch event was John Couling, Senior Vice President, Commercial Partnerships at Dolby, a long-term partner of SKYWORTH. "SKYWORTH has been a pioneer in adopting Dolby's latest innovations, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos," Mr. Couling said. "With the launch of the Q91 and W81 series, SKYWORTH customers can instantly enjoy an amazing out-of-the-box audiovisual experience powered by Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos."

Swaiot™ and TrensAI™

The new products SKYWORTH launched at CES are supported by SKYWORTH's advanced Swaiot™ technology. Using the TV as the gateway and control hub of a home's shared smart devices and appliances, SKYWORTH connects family members to shared technology to make their lives easier.

SKYWORTH's TrensAI™ technology supports Swaiot™ through powerful voice recognition and AI language processing capabilities. TrensAI™ allows SKYWORTH TVs to readily respond to spoken language – even from a distance – and distinguish between voices of different household members, providing personalized responses based on each user's individual characteristics.

For attendees at CES 2020, SKYWORTH will display these new products – as well as a wide range of smart home products – at Booth #20206 in South Hall 1 of the Las Vegas Convention Center (LVCC). SKYWORTH invites all CES attendees to "See the Wonder" together in Las Vegas.

About SKYWORTH

SKYWORTH GROUP LIMITED (HKG: 00751) is a leading supplier of uniquely advanced and affordable technology solutions. It is valued in excess of US$ 19 billion and employs over 40,000 people worldwide (as of 1 March 2019). Headquartered in Shenzhen, China's "Silicon Valley", SKYWORTH offers consumer electronics, display devices, digital set-top boxes, security monitors, network communication, semi-conductors, refrigerators, washing machines, cell phones and LED lighting. Founded in 1988, it is now one of the Top Five Color TV brands in the world and a top brand in the Chinese display industry market. It is also a Top Three global provider of the Android TV platform.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-08-2020, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 36
As the mainstream TV market begins to shift away from 4K LCD TVs to address consumer desires for ultra-high-definition picture quality, the demand for higher quality TVs is growing stronger.
------------------------
Not a good way to introduce yourself to the US market by outright lying. The only demand I have seen for 8K are from so called tech writers who are shills for Samsung or the like and are hyping 8K even when it is pointless for 99% of consumers.
post #3 of 22 Old 01-08-2020, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I have to admit I did a double take on that statement as well. At first I was reading it like they were pushing OLED but then the following statement about 8K versus 4K clarified it further. Either way I have to agree that I have yet to see a justifiable reason to start looking at 8K at this point. I already have to worry about my data cap watching too much 4K. ;-)
Hetfieldjames and Panson like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 01-08-2020, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked: 1181
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankKD View Post
I have to admit I did a double take on that statement as well. At first I was reading it like they were pushing OLED but then the following statement about 8K versus 4K clarified it further. Either way I have to agree that I have yet to see a justifiable reason to start looking at 8K at this point. I already have to worry about my data cap watching too much 4K. ;-)
I agree but there's manufacturers are gonna force it because I get in 2-3 years that's all there will be over 50 inches. 8k makes absolutely no sense unless we are talking 85 inches and up.
FrankKD likes this.
post #5 of 22 Old 01-08-2020, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Resolution has never mattered that much. From years past i've never cared. I've had beautiful pictures at 480p, 720p, 1080p and now 4k. The resolution has very little to do with that. Contrast, black levels, motion, etc.
Panson likes this.
post #6 of 22 Old 01-09-2020, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 22
well if no one buys 8k tvs they wont force them on us. There is not even 1 good reason to go for 8k right now. All this upscale nonsense is total BS. You will actually get a better picture the less upscaling you do. Meaning a native 4k signal will look better on a native 4k tv than an 8k tv ,giving other parameters are equal.
post #7 of 22 Old 01-15-2020, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbil View Post
well if no one buys 8k tvs they wont force them on us. There is not even 1 good reason to go for 8k right now. All this upscale nonsense is total BS. You will actually get a better picture the less upscaling you do. Meaning a native 4k signal will look better on a native 4k tv than an 8k tv ,giving other parameters are equal.
There is another way to look at it, which is what happened with phones, once you have enough pixel density and enough processing power to handle the pixels, then you can just scale whatever (pinch to zoom etc.) and 8K brings that for TVs. Is no longer axiomatic that native resolution is better than upscaled, when presented at the same size. It's more likely that the results will be practically identical, except if you're really close to the screen, you will not be able to see any individual pixels on the 8K display.

Like megapixels and cameras, once TVs have more pixels than people need, they will start to focus on other things.

But, for folks who dislike upscaling, there is actually a quite simple solution. It's called nearest-neighbor uposampling. Since 4K is double HD and 8K is double 4K, you don't "need" to upscale, you can just use 4 or 16 pixels to represent one pixel. That would be functionally identical to "native" resolution.

But it's also the fact that in 2020, processing algorithms of gotten to the point where arguably, upsampling does provide an improvement in perceived resolution. This is done through scene recognition, edge enhancement, and other trickery that's now possible thanks to improvements in processing capabilities. I suppose is debatable whether it's true the source, but what's not debatable is that upsampling is an evolving category for TV PQ.
sk373 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #8 of 22 Old 01-15-2020, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Do the Manufacturers just throw S%$T at the wall?

Was anyone clamoring for a rollable OLED?

Was anyone clamoring for a bezelless tv?

Was anyone clamoring for better speakers on a $20K tv?

One year they have tvs with shiny huge silver ugly trim and bezels and next year they are like you should buy this it has no bezel!!!

Don't even get me started on this 48" OLED. Out of all the articles I read the "tech writers" couldn't contain their glee as I was scanning article to see what PQ quality improvements they have made to be sadly disappointed...
Panson likes this.

Sony XBR-75Z9D
Klipsch Original RF-7s LCR & Surrounds, RS-7 Ceiling Atmos YES!! [/SIZE])
SVS PB13 Ultra
Samsung UBD-K8500 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Denon AVR-X3300
post #9 of 22 Old 01-15-2020, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1204 Post(s)
Liked: 591
I have a neutral position towards 8k which is I am not for it or against and just go with tides and see how it all plays out. It is funny how negatively strong some are about 8k and feel they have to it bash out so hard. The same thing happened with 4k in support of 1080i/1080p, 480i/480p and 720i/720p and guess what many enthusiasts have 4k and are starting the whole scenario again with 8k. It is inevitable that technology will advance you can either embrace it either or watch it pass your decision. Upscaling is an important thing especially the one in our tv's, many do not notice but that its usually the best scaler in your setup not the one in the avr or processor. So your 720p and 1080i channels look good because of the processor in your tv. So in theory a 8k processor could potentially make things look better in a larger screen 75" and up. I notice a big difference when I went from a 50" to 65"tv and that was 720i/p and 180i/p to 4k upscaling on the 65" tv. I also notice a lot less compression when watching cable tv upscaled. a 8k processor could potentially reduce compression more. SkyWorth coming to US will only make LG and Sony improve quality control and go the extra mile as well as drop 4k prices.
Gillietalls likes this.
post #10 of 22 Old 01-15-2020, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by derreckla View Post

One year they have tvs with shiny huge silver ugly trim and bezels and next year they are like you should buy this it has no bezel!!!

Don't even get me started on this 48" OLED. Out of all the articles I read the "tech writers" couldn't contain their glee as I was scanning article to see what PQ quality improvements they have made to be sadly disappointed...
Well, during the curved screen and edgelit era, I did hammer home the point... again and again... that AVS Forum members want large, flat screens that are either FALD or OLED. It is a small miracle that there are now tons of options that fit that description.

As for who's asking for what, there are numerous markets for TVs out there, some of which folks here might not relate to. Have you ever been on a superyacht? You'll find tons of TVs on each and every one, but almost never a sound system beyond what's built in. A large yacht (150 feet and above) could easily have a half million bucks worth of TVs installed in it. And a megayacht... you'll probably see The Wall or Sony Crystal LED installed, in addition to an ungodly amount of TVs.
sk373 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 01-15-2020 at 09:12 AM.
post #11 of 22 Old 01-15-2020, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Well, during the curved screen and edgelit era, I did hammer home the point... again and again... that AVS Forum members want large, flat screens that are either FALD or OLED. It is a small miracle that there are now tons of options that fit that description.

As for who's asking for what, there are numerous markets for TVs out there, some of which folks here might not relate to. Have you ever been on a superyacht? You'll find tons of TVs on each and every one, but almost never a sound system beyond what's built in. A large yacht (150 feet and above) could easily have a half million bucks worth of TVs installed in it. And a megayacht... you'll probably see The Wall or Sony Crystal LED installed, in addition to an ungodly amount of TVs.
Ya, you know what, I didn't even consider the SUPER YACHTS!!! LOL

But even with the large over 85" flat screen your talking about...

They haven't improved the 4K screens and moved on to JUCKING up 8K screens

My last 3 tvs have been top of the lines Sony SOny and Samsung. I am going bigger atleast 85 and if VIZIO OR HISENSE or an chinese off brand I have never heard of comes up with a better 4k tv bigger then my 75" sony I am no longer brand loyal....

If I could buy that micro led 93" sammy for under $10K I would but chances are it's going to only be reserved for the SUPER YACHT guys...
imagic and Panson like this.

Sony XBR-75Z9D
Klipsch Original RF-7s LCR & Surrounds, RS-7 Ceiling Atmos YES!! [/SIZE])
SVS PB13 Ultra
Samsung UBD-K8500 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Denon AVR-X3300
post #12 of 22 Old 01-15-2020, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Ya, you know what, I didn't even consider the SUPER YACHTS!!! LOL

But even with the large over 85" flat screen your talking about...

They haven't improved the 4K screens and moved on to JUCKING up 8K screens

My last 3 tvs have been top of the lines Sony SOny and Samsung. I am going bigger atleast 85 and if VIZIO OR HISENSE or an chinese off brand I have never heard of comes up with a better 4k tv bigger then my 75" sony I am no longer brand loyal....

If I could buy that micro led 93" sammy for under $10K I would but chances are it's going to only be reserved for the SUPER YACHT guys...
Before I got into writing about AV, back in the late 1990s, I was a commercial photographer/videographer with a focus on yachts. When plasma first came out, all of a sudden designers were able to put TVs in places they never could before. They had TVs on motorized mounts that popped out of countertops or ceilings, whatever. Those early plasmas were nosebleed-priced, too. Eye-opening stuff, for example I had no idea Rolex made bathroom faucets.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #13 of 22 Old 01-15-2020, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Most of the things you mention are QoL issues, and the manufacturers' marketing people think people do want them, and they often are right.

For OLED, in particular, the technology is now mature enough that significant annual gains are unlikely, so one looks for sales in some other way.

I, for one, am very interested in roll-up or roll-down screens, if the price ever comes down enough. Why? Because the room will look better, imo, and be more usable when not being used for TV.

Losing the bezels is similar, particular with the Samsung feature that allows the scene or wall behind the TV to be put up on the screen, making it more translucent than opaque.

Different people have different desires.
post #14 of 22 Old 01-16-2020, 05:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 41
A bezelless tv is also important why because it is a cheaper way to get big screen. A big screen tv (85' and higher) is very expensive and micro led still far away.

For years we used projectors to get big screen (100' and higher) but the gap gets closer and closer between tv's and projectors.
A mid level projector still over 3000$ and also can't do hdr properly. Dlp projectors can show 4k but many has low contrast,no wcg etc.
Lcos has contrast but expensive also lamps are expensive and still not enough bright. They required very good tone mapping solutions to get a proper picture and still they show hdr like picture but not really hdr.

In computer world we use multiple screen setups for years and there is no reason to do same thing with tvs. But bezel will be problem because the picture won't be look seamless. Bezel of tvs will ruin the immersion.

Get 4 55' bezelless tv made a video wall from them.

For example a used LG B7 Oled with no burn-in is about 600€ here, so 4 tv are 2400€ and about 1000€ for a htpc with madvr will be 3400€. 110' 8K Oled does not exist. Even if did it would cost like a new car.
Epson 5050 is 4000€ here. And you can always get a cheap dlp for 3D. The cost will same.
post #15 of 22 Old 01-16-2020, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyhakan View Post
A bezelless tv is also important why because it is a cheaper way to get big screen. A big screen tv (85' and higher) is very expensive and micro led still far away.

For years we used projectors to get big screen (100' and higher) but the gap gets closer and closer between tv's and projectors.
A mid level projector still over 3000$ and also can't do hdr properly. Dlp projectors can show 4k but many has low contrast,no wcg etc.
Lcos has contrast but expensive also lamps are expensive and still not enough bright. They required very good tone mapping solutions to get a proper picture and still they show hdr like picture but not really hdr.

In computer world we use multiple screen setups for years and there is no reason to do same thing with tvs. But bezel will be problem because the picture won't be look seamless. Bezel of tvs will ruin the immersion.

Get 4 55' bezelless tv made a video wall from them.

For example a used LG B7 Oled with no burn-in is about 600€ here, so 4 tv are 2400€ and about 1000€ for a htpc with madvr will be 3400€. 110' 8K Oled does not exist. Even if did it would cost like a new car.
Epson 5050 is 4000€ here. And you can always get a cheap dlp for 3D. The cost will same.
"No reason not to do the same"

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #16 of 22 Old 01-16-2020, 05:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
"No reason not to do the same"
Right.
post #17 of 22 Old 01-16-2020, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Well, aside from cost, visible gaps between screens, and the need to independently calibrate multiple displays to the same white/color/gamma references.

We recently switched to a 9-screen array at work to replace a large projector in a presentation room. The brightness and color reproduction is MUCH better, but there's a visible 1/4"-1/2" grid at the screen joints and the WB/color shift between panels is visibly apparent in a way that would not be acceptable for even semi-critical HT viewing. Slight white/color errors on a stand-alone display you'll never notice. But put two next to each other and they instantly stand out as 'different' from each other.
post #18 of 22 Old 01-19-2020, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 37
The picture shows an 88" TV, but yet there is nothing about it in the article. What about the 88"?
post #19 of 22 Old 01-19-2020, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 360
I don't know in what world this company, Skyworth, will be able to sell a 75" diagonal 8K LCD using IPS panel affording mediocre native contrast level with a msrp of $6K.
I did not see any mention of FALD, number of dimming zones, et al.

They better re-evaluate their pricing strategy asap and pay close attention to other Chinese companies such as TCL and Hisense.

Sony XBR-940E, Integra DHC-80.2, Oppo 103, Sound Lab A-1 electrostatic speakers,SVS PC12-NSD subs, InnerSound Electrostatic Amp,, Hafler 220 amp, Harman Kardon PA5800 amp, Pioneer LD-W1, Darbee Darblet, DVDO iScan Mini, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha CR-7, Koss ESP/950, Stax SR-40, Audeze Isine 10, etc, etc.
post #20 of 22 Old 01-20-2020, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 12869 Post(s)
Liked: 12234
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post
I don't know in what world this company, Skyworth, will be able to sell a 75" diagonal 8K LCD using IPS panel affording mediocre native contrast level with a msrp of $6K.
I did not see any mention of FALD, number of dimming zones, et al.

They better re-evaluate their pricing strategy asap and pay close attention to other Chinese companies such as TCL and Hisense.

575 zones on that IPS tv. You can almost get a 77" oled for half the price if you look in the right places.

Strange how overpriced the 8k IPS tv is when their Wallpaper Oled tvs are actually greatly priced. Makes no sense at all.
Panson likes this.

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
post #21 of 22 Old 01-20-2020, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 2535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-T View Post
I have a neutral position towards 8k which is I am not for it or against and just go with tides and see how it all plays out. It is funny how negatively strong some are about 8k and feel they have to it bash out so hard. The same thing happened with 4k in support of 1080i/1080p, 480i/480p and 720i/720p and guess what many enthusiasts have 4k and are starting the whole scenario again with 8k. It is inevitable that technology will advance you can either embrace it either or watch it pass your decision. Upscaling is an important thing especially the one in our tv's, many do not notice but that its usually the best scaler in your setup not the one in the avr or processor. So your 720p and 1080i channels look good because of the processor in your tv. So in theory a 8k processor could potentially make things look better in a larger screen 75" and up. I notice a big difference when I went from a 50" to 65"tv and that was 720i/p and 180i/p to 4k upscaling on the 65" tv. I also notice a lot less compression when watching cable tv upscaled. a 8k processor could potentially reduce compression more. SkyWorth coming to US will only make LG and Sony improve quality control and go the extra mile as well as drop 4k prices.
I don't think we can trust that logic anymore than Skyworth's.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #22 of 22 Old 01-21-2020, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
But, for folks who dislike upscaling, there is actually a quite simple solution. It's called nearest-neighbor uposampling. Since 4K is double HD and 8K is double 4K, you don't "need" to upscale, you can just use 4 or 16 pixels to represent one pixel. That would be functionally identical to "native" resolution.
But it's not functionally identical, as you yourself point out in your following remarks about "trickery". Aside from tricks, a block of 4 pixels can display many more colors than a single pixel, because the colors of the 4 individual pixels are independently controllable. (I've been pointing this out for several years, but no one seems to believe me.)

Greg Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
ces 2020 , skyworth

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page