Best 85 inch for 2020 from CES? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #1 of 39 Old 01-08-2020, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 54
//Best 85 inch for 2020 from CES?

I have a 75 inch Z9D and I love it!!! All I really want is an 85 inch version of it...

So 2020 is clearly (pun intended) the year of the 85 inch TV as several new models have been introduced at CES.

I am surprised at how little meaningful information on these models has come out so far, and the lack of pricing information is also very confusing…

Here are the options and I welcome your comments:

2019 Sony 85” Z9G 8K. I recently saw this on sale at a big box store for under $10K. The picture was very impressive, but I have a hard time with the weird industrial design that looks like two flat screens are mating with one on top of the other. It's just a fugly cluster bomb…

2020: Sony Z8H 85 8K”: This would seem to be the obvious choice. From the photos I have seen it is really thick like the Z9G, but Sony designed/camouflaged it so from the front and slightly off angle it looks like a regular skinny screen. The strange thing about this TV is it does not appear to have the Back Light Master Drive? In all the content I have been able to see it appears like it has around 570 full array backlit Zones.

2020: Sony X950H 4K. If I understand it correctly, Sony did not showcase this model at CES 2020. It’s a 4K set, and I wonder if they added more zones than the X950G, which has a very good image if you don’t care about the light bleed into black bars when watching 2.35:1 content.

2020 Samsung Q950 8K: The bezeless design of this TV looks super cool, and the fact it’s 15MM thin (just over a half-inch-thick and can be flush mounted is great! Samsung said it put all the small holes on all sides and top of the bezel to act as speaker grills which is brilliant, but I assume these also serve as an excellent venting system for heat generated by the screen. My only two concerns for this set are the price and the picture quality. Everybody knows Samsung lost its way a few years ago with picture quality and Sony jumped in and stole the show with the Z9D. That being said, it appears Samsung is aware of its missteps and has really focused on picture quality with its new processors so it might match the Z9D/Z9G or Z8H in picture quality which would be great. I also mentioned I am concerned about pricing as Samsung tends to overprice their products way too much, which I think is foolish.

2020 Samsung QLED Q900 in 85 and 98: I assume the 98 inch will be $60K or something crazy like that, which does not make sense to me.

2020 Samsung The Wall in 88” and 110”: This looks cool but does not seem like it will be available for purchase and if it is will probably bee way too expensive.

2020: PX Vizio 85” TV with 792 zones. I don’t know that much about the Vizio brand, but I though it was worth mentioning if anybody has any information or insight to share.

LG 88 OLED: This is not an option because of the $30K price, not to mention it can’t be wall mounted.

Does anybody have any insight to share on the above mentioned models. Like, when will we get MSRP and when will they come to market?
JNMNL52 likes this.

"Never mistake motion for action." —Ernest Hemingway

Editor and Publisher of Jake's Rolex World @ www.RolexMagazine.com

Last edited by JakeE; 01-08-2020 at 01:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 01-08-2020, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
None of those LCD's you listed will beat your 75" Z9D, that set is/was unparalleled in the LCD world. As long as you understand that and are upgrading for size alone, then I'd stick with a Sony since Samsung has inferior processing (color accuracy, motion, etc.) and it doesn't have Dolby Vision which is utterly ridiculous.

For a basis of comparison against one of the Sony's, you should check out the Vizio 85" PX once it's out before deciding on anything. Vizio may have improved their processing in 2020 with their new chip and Vincent Teoh did say at CES that he was impressed with the 85" PX. It may turn out to be a good year for Vizio, but we'll have to wait for the technical reviews.
Kishore likes this.
post #3 of 39 Old 01-08-2020, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing your insight :-)

I'm a little confused. Are you saying the 85" Z9G picture quality is not as good as the 75" Z9D, or are you saying it's not better? Because basically, I am looking for an 85" TV with the same picture quality or close to the Z9D.

I am aware that Samsung historically has inferior processing, but with their new processor don't you think they are going to try and match Sony, or come really close?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagger3 View Post
None of those LCD's you listed will beat your 75" Z9D, that set is/was unparalleled in the LCD world. As long as you understand that and are upgrading for size alone, then I'd stick with a Sony since Samsung has inferior processing (color accuracy, motion, etc.) and it doesn't have Dolby Vision which is utterly ridiculous.

For a basis of comparison against one of the Sony's, you should check out the Vizio 85" PX once it's out before deciding on anything. Vizio may have improved their processing in 2020 with their new chip and Vincent Teoh did say at CES that he was impressed with the 85" PX. It may turn out to be a good year for Vizio, but we'll have to wait for the technical reviews.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 01-09-2020, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Fascinating Video from Vincent:

post #5 of 39 Old 01-09-2020, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Whoeever makes the first solid performer miniLED for around $2500 thats 85" is getting bought. I constantly feel the need for a bigger tv. But the only thing that impresses me that I dont get rid of is Oled. You always loose so much quality going bigger yet trying to stay affordable.
post #6 of 39 Old 01-09-2020, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

OMG!?!?!?!

Look at how FAT the Sony Z8H is from behind!!!

Contrast this with the new Samsung Q950.

The Sony appears to be 3 times as thick as the Samsung!?!?!?!?!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony Fat.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	2667202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image.jpeg
Views:	58
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	2667208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Infinity Screen.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	301.5 KB
ID:	2667210  

post #7 of 39 Old 01-09-2020, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeE View Post
I have a 75 inch Z9D and I love it!!! All I really want is an 85 inch version of it...

So 2020 is clearly (pun intended) the year of the 85 inch TV as several new models have been introduced at CES.

I am surprised at how little meaningful information on these models has come out so far, and the lack of pricing information is also very confusing…

Here are the options and I welcome your comments:

2019 Sony 85” Z9G 8K. I recently saw this on sale at a big box store for under $10K. The picture was very impressive, but I have a hard time with the weird industrial design that looks like two flat screens are mating with one on top of the other. It's just a fugly cluster bomb…

2020: Sony Z8H 85 8K”: This would seem to be the obvious choice. From the photos I have seen it is really thick like the Z9G, but Sony designed/camouflaged it so from the front and slightly off angle it looks like a regular skinny screen. The strange thing about this TV is it does not appear to have the Back Light Master Drive? In all the content I have been able to see it appears like it has around 570 full array backlit Zones.

2020: Sony X950H 4K. If I understand it correctly, Sony did not showcase this model at CES 2020. It’s a 4K set, and I wonder if they added more zones than the X950G, which has a very good image if you don’t care about the light bleed into black bars when watching 2.35:1 content.

2020 Samsung Q950 8K: The bezeless design of this TV looks super cool, and the fact it’s 15MM thin (just over a half-inch-thick and can be flush mounted is great! Samsung said it put all the small holes on all sides and top of the bezel to act as speaker grills which is brilliant, but I assume these also serve as an excellent venting system for heat generated by the screen. My only two concerns for this set are the price and the picture quality. Everybody knows Samsung lost its way a few years ago with picture quality and Sony jumped in and stole the show with the Z9D. That being said, it appears Samsung is aware of its missteps and has really focused on picture quality with its new processors so it might match the Z9D/Z9G or Z8H in picture quality which would be great. I also mentioned I am concerned about pricing as Samsung tends to overprice their products way too much, which I think is foolish.

2020 Samsung QLED Q900 in 85 and 98: I assume the 98 inch will be $60K or something crazy like that, which does not make sense to me.

2020 Samsung The Wall in 88” and 110”: This looks cool but does not seem like it will be available for purchase and if it is will probably bee way too expensive.

2020: PX Vizio 85” TV with 792 zones. I don’t know that much about the Vizio brand, but I though it was worth mentioning if anybody has any information or insight to share.

LG 88 OLED: This is not an option because of the $30K price, not to mention it can’t be wall mounted.

Does anybody have any insight to share on the above mentioned models. Like, when will we get MSRP and when will they come to market?
Samsung's the Wall is available for purchase, it is NOT cheap and you have to hire them to install it for you. A member here just had one installed I suggest you check out their thread.
post #8 of 39 Old 01-09-2020, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked: 2358
For many ready to spend big bucks, 2020 probably doesn't represent a big enough leap to the future. Too bad, many had their hopes up.

Big boy manufacturers seem intent on OLED, 8K, wide angle technology, none of which is priority for most TV shoppers at the moment.

Incessance with 4K TV size, with little if any increase in capability or quality is commonplace. Opening the door for Vizio, Hisense, TCL, others, which can show optimism on paper, but in real viewing can't walk-the-talk.

Seems that 2020 CES has been more about futuristic cars, than TVs.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #9 of 39 Old 01-09-2020, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

I'm a little confused. Are you saying the 85" Z9G picture quality is not as good as the 75" Z9D, or are you saying it's not better? Because basically, I am looking for an 85" TV with the same picture quality or close to the Z9D.

I am aware that Samsung historically has inferior processing, but with their new processor don't you think they are going to try and match Sony, or come really close?
Sony's LCD TVs peaked with the Z9D, every LCD after that has been inferior, mainly due to poor contrast and a lower number of dimming of zones. Color and motion improved, but blooming became pretty bad, and contrast, which is what HDR needs the most to actually look like HDR, took a severe hit because they added X-Wide technology which improved viewing angles, but severely lowered the native contrast.

Currently, Sony seems more focused on OLED TVs, 8K, and adding other features which do not really improve the picture that much. There's new technology like dual cell LCD, miniLED, and microLED which really improves the picture quality, but Sony has not gone anywhere near it except for non-consumer products.

At this point I would recommend an 85" from Samsung or even Vizio, and maybe even TCL if their new models have improved picture processing, or even an 88" OLED, but for some reason Sony has really dropped the ball on their LCDs for the past years. Even their OLEDs are hardly better than LG's now, if at all, making the higher price difference unjustified imo. They might surprise us and use one of those newer technologies down the line, but it doesn't seem like it'll happen this year or any time soon.

Setup:
Display: ISF Pro Calibrated LG OLED65C7P TV 7.1.4 Sound: Denon AVR-X4400H, Sony Stereo (amp), Klipsch: RP-440C, RP-250F x 2, RP-150M x 4, RP-140SA x 4, R-10SW 4K Disc Players: Oppo UDP-203 (Region Free & Dolby Vision), Panasonic DP-UB820 Streaming Player: Apple TV 4K Video-Game Consoles: Xbox One X & PS4 Remotes: Logitech Harmony Elite Remote Control with Hub and iPad App
post #10 of 39 Old 01-09-2020, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
TCL's new mini-LED TVs only in 65 and 75" versions unfortunately.
https://www.whathifi.com/us/reviews/...8k-tv-8-series
samovies10 likes this.
post #11 of 39 Old 01-09-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:

I certainly don't think you'd be upset with the Z9G, but its native contrast/black levels aren't as strong as the Z9D. In addition, the 85" Z9G has fewer dimming zones than the 75" Z9D (which is why some people have alluded to the Z9G as having an inferior version of BMD). The Z9G also appears to have more light leakage into black bars than the Z9D and, again, that may be due to the fewer number of dimming zones in its BMD.

However, the x-wide angle tech that the Z9G has (which affects contrast levels) might be to your liking in the big picture. Some of the Z9G owners have stated they really like it and see its value on larger screens, whereas the Z9D had a very narrow viewing angle which some did not like. So that may be an advantage of the Z9G vs. the Z9D if you value that element. Of course there's others who hate wide angle tech in general and don't mind narrow viewing angles if it means better blacks. So again, this area is subjective to each individual.

Another strength of the Z9G is the best HDR experience currently on the market, as it's been tested to achieve 4000 nits (whereas the Z9D didn't reach 3000). So that's an improvement over the Z9D.

Of course the final factor being 8K, an improvement in resolution over the Z9D. The importance of 8K has understandably been brushed off by most at this point due to the lack of 8K content. However, some reviewers have made a fair point in that 8K content from the studios is not going to come until 8K panels/devices become more mainstream. So the content will come and probably a lot faster than people think. And the X1 Ultimate chip was made for the purpose of rendering native 8K content and upscaling 4K content to 8K, so you would have that upscaled enjoyment now.

As for Samsung, I'll reiterate by saying that withholding Dolby Vision from its customers is utterly ridiculous and that immediately rules them out for me. In addition, I've never liked Samsung's color replication and oversaturated look they push. It just lacks that genuine, realistic cinematic feel to the picture.

But in the end, you need to figure out what picture quality elements mean the most to you. The 85" size is finally becoming more mainstream now so you have plenty of options.
post #12 of 39 Old 01-09-2020, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked: 2358
Quote:
Originally Posted by samovies10 View Post
Sony's LCD TVs peaked with the Z9D, every LCD after that has been inferior, mainly due to poor contrast and a lower number of dimming of zones. Color and motion improved, but blooming became pretty bad, and contrast, which is what HDR needs the most to actually look like HDR, took a severe hit because they added X-Wide technology which improved viewing angles, but severely lowered the native contrast.

Currently, Sony seems more focused on OLED TVs, 8K, and adding other features which do not really improve the picture that much. There's new technology like dual cell LCD, miniLED, and microLED which really improves the picture quality, but Sony has not gone anywhere near it except for non-consumer products.

At this point I would recommend an 85" from Samsung or even Vizio, and maybe even TCL if their new models have improved picture processing, or even an 88" OLED, but for some reason Sony has really dropped the ball on their LCDs for the past years. Even their OLEDs are hardly better than LG's now, if at all, making the higher price difference unjustified imo. They might surprise us and use one of those newer technologies down the line, but it doesn't seem like it'll happen this year or any time soon.
You hammer Sony pretty good and let Samsung and LG off the hook. They're all chasing OLED and 8K and wide angle. We don't need to get into the wannabes with paper promises.

It all boils down to PQ, and Sony still has it. No phony color, Sony color.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #13 of 39 Old 01-09-2020, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3140 Post(s)
Liked: 3874
^colors on my previous Sony 940e were great, but they are also as great on my 77C8, not too much difference, on the other hand my Q8 has the most cartoonish colors of any TV in my house. On Sony's part, they do seem more interested in Oleds than LCD. Still no true successor to the Z9D, so while you might call other brands wannabes, they still have some compelling offers.

Last edited by Cam1977; 01-09-2020 at 08:32 PM.
post #14 of 39 Old 01-09-2020, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
You hammer Sony pretty good and let Samsung and LG off the hook. They're all chasing OLED and 8K and wide angle. We don't need to get into the wannabes with paper promises.

It all boils down to PQ, and Sony still has it. No phony color, Sony color.
Well, LG was one of the first to bring OLED to the market, and Sony began using their panels later. I’m not saying that LG and Samsung have been innovating lately either (especially Samsung; I actually try to avoid their products as much as possible), but HDR does look better on Samsung TVs than on Sony’s LCDs thanks to the better native contrast and more dimming zones (except, again, for the Z9D). LG hasn’t innovated lately, but my point was that Sony stagnated on TVs after the Z9D and instead has begun focusing on practically useless features without trying to use any of the other new technologies like miniLED while other companies at least keep adding more dimming zones on their LCDs and make other improvements, instead of taking one step forward and two steps back. It’s more disappointing than anything. Their color might be spot-on but everything else is matched or beat by other brands. Even their color accuracy is not much better on OLEDs.

No TV is perfect but in terms of improvements Sony has made the least of them in the past years, and in fact they got worse. At least the other brands have been improving or at least kept the same picture quality with minor improvements. I still do not understand why Sony lowered the number of dimming zones after the Z9D. It did not help one bit, made blooming and contrast bad, and the wide angle tech made both even worse, and blooming more apparent due to the lower native contrast. Why have they not at least incremented the number of zones? Like I said, more disappointing and puzzling than anything else. Their processing might be great but their hardware is not up to par, and their processing can’t make up for it.
Cam1977 and Gillietalls like this.

Setup:
Display: ISF Pro Calibrated LG OLED65C7P TV 7.1.4 Sound: Denon AVR-X4400H, Sony Stereo (amp), Klipsch: RP-440C, RP-250F x 2, RP-150M x 4, RP-140SA x 4, R-10SW 4K Disc Players: Oppo UDP-203 (Region Free & Dolby Vision), Panasonic DP-UB820 Streaming Player: Apple TV 4K Video-Game Consoles: Xbox One X & PS4 Remotes: Logitech Harmony Elite Remote Control with Hub and iPad App
post #15 of 39 Old 01-10-2020, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Impossible to answer without unbiased reviews

So far, from tentative initial feedback, the most improved TV may well be the Vizio PX 85" as many flaws from last years smaller models are reported to be fixed or at least improved upon and the 2019 (smaller) versions were already a very good TV. Unfortunately for me personally, the new wide angle tech everyone is trying to push at the high end degrades the PQ unless they have done something different this year. Thankfully, Vizio is avoiding wide angle viewing at their high end. I personally want to game and watch movies in full HDR as close to the 4000 nit Dolby Vision cap, therefore my only target for 2020 is the Vizio 85", but I am also happy with my 65" so I will wait a few more years if needed for very good blacks, lots of brightness and a decent price.
lucacow likes this.

Last edited by Grimbor; 01-10-2020 at 08:22 AM.
post #16 of 39 Old 01-10-2020, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:

Ummmm.... everything you mentioned except for the Vizio is insanely bleeding-edge expensive. I take it budget isn't a big deal?

I'm personally really interested in the Vizio because it will probably be below $3000 on Black Friday and it has full HDMI 2.1 with 4K/120Hz.
post #17 of 39 Old 01-10-2020, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
Samsung's the Wall is available for purchase, it is NOT cheap and you have to hire them to install it for you. A member here just had one installed I suggest you check out their thread.
Yeah I just posted elsewhere that installation is the thing that may prevent The Wall or anything like the wall (i.e. combining panels into single large displays) from ever becoming affordable. It's obviously critical to get the panels aligned perfectly, but very nearly impossible to do so. A subtle warp on any one or two axes in a single panel may be nearly impossible to perceive in isolation. But put 4 panels each with subtle warps together and ayyayyay.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #18 of 39 Old 01-10-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Yeah I just posted elsewhere that installation is the thing that may prevent The Wall or anything like the wall (i.e. combining panels into single large displays) from ever becoming affordable. It's obviously critical to get the panels aligned perfectly, but very nearly impossible to do so. A subtle warp on any one or two axes in a single panel may be nearly impossible to perceive in isolation. But put 4 panels each with subtle warps together and ayyayyay.

WhatHiFi mentioned that sizes 100" and below will be available in a frame, without the need for installation.
post #19 of 39 Old 01-10-2020, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Hi Anthony!

It's been a long time! I see we both joined the AVSforum around the same time in 2001...

I want to make certain I understand what your are saying. It sounds like you are saying if Samsung or Sony produce MicroLED panels that are 9-12 inches square, it would be a challenge to keep them perfectly aligned so as to hide the seams if they are slightly off axis, but you are suggesting if they make much larger panels, so a user would only need to combine four of them, that would make it much easer to keep in perfect alignment. Is that correct?

Cheers!

Jake :-)

post #20 of 39 Old 01-10-2020, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7023 Post(s)
Liked: 7047
Quote:
OMG!?!?!?!

Look at how FAT the Sony Z8H is from behind!!!

Contrast this with the new Samsung Q950.

The Sony appears to be 3 times as thick as the Samsung!?!?!?!?!!
Well have to see which one is better to the eye and color meter
post #21 of 39 Old 01-10-2020, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 128
If Vizio remains true to their excellent pricing, I think the new PX 75"/85" will be my choice this year for my media room build. I love that they have higher dimming zones and HDMI 2.1. I hope having a 65" LG OLED for three years didn't spoil that prospect.
lucacow likes this.
post #22 of 39 Old 01-10-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiegr View Post
If Vizio remains true to their excellent pricing, I think the new PX 75"/85" will be my choice this year for my media room build. I love that they have higher dimming zones and HDMI 2.1. I hope having a 65" LG OLED for three years didn't spoil that prospect.

Looks intriguing...

Quote:
VIZIO’s 2020 P-Series Quantum X arguably has the industry’s best picture, offering incredible brightness, contrast and color performance. With up to 3000 nits of peak brightness for brilliant highlights and incredible detail, as well as 800 nits full screen brightness for true-to-life outdoor scenes, the P-Series Quantum X will bring the most dynamic images to life. The TV’s full-array LED backlight with up to an incredible 792 zones of local dimming ensures the deepest blacks and eye-popping contrast. Further elevating picture performance is one of the highest performing Quantum Dot panels in the market, boasting 165% more color[4] for a vibrant yet subtly-nuanced color palette with pearlescent blues, emerald greens and crimson reds. Available in 65-inch, 75-inch and now a cinema-worthy 85-inch size, the P-Series Quantum X was created with elevated craftsmanship, complete with a bezel-less design.

https://www.vizio.com/en/news/2020/j...-first-oled-tv
post #23 of 39 Old 01-10-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbor View Post
So far, from tentative initial feedback, the most improved TV may well be the Vizio PX 85" as many flaws from last years smaller models are reported to be fixed or at least improved upon and the 2019 (smaller) versions were already a very good TV. Unfortunately for me personally, the new wide angle tech everyone is trying to push at the high end degrades the PQ unless they have done something different this year. Thankfully, Vizio is avoiding wide angle viewing at their high end. I personally want to game and watch movies in full HDR as close to the 4000 nit Dolby Vision cap, therefore my only target for 2020 is the Vizio 85", but I am also happy with my 65" so I will wait a few more years if needed for very good blacks, lots of brightness and a decent price.
I definitely support giving the Vizio PX a look before deciding on anything, just keep in mind that it's a 4K set. And if I'm looking for a 85" panel now which I intend to keep well into the future, I would probably prioritize getting an 8K version. (I'm guessing Vizio's 2021 PX will be 8K.)

Also, the Z9G achieves 4000 nits and is fully HDMI 2.1 compliant, including doing 4K/120Hz and 8K/60Hz.
post #24 of 39 Old 01-10-2020, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
I definitely support giving the Vizio PX a look before deciding on anything, just keep in mind that it's a 4K set. And if I'm looking for a 85" panel now which I intend to keep well into the future, I would probably prioritize getting an 8K version. (I'm guessing Vizio's 2021 PX will be 8K.)

Also, the Z9G achieves 4000 nits and is fully HDMI 2.1 compliant, including doing 4K/120Hz and 8K/60Hz.
I'm not convinced 8K over 4K at anything smaller than 85" matters unless it's PC gaming and it will take a few years for graphics cards to reach 8K/120, which is the HDMI 2.1 spec. I am still floored with PC graphics at 4K/60 at 65" and most movies are not even 4K when they are mastered to video. I suspect in 5 years we will be ready to fully engage in 8K TV's. For now, it seems 2020 is the year most TV makers finally reached a point where 4K has proper HDMI support and features to justify more global consumer support. When all TV makers are on a level playing field is when it's time to push on to the next big thing and 2020 and 2021 seem to be that time. AVR's and PC graphics cards still don't support HDMI 2.1 and until all the components in the chain have been fully supported I see no reason to leapfrog just yet.
Bevmo and lucacow like this.
post #25 of 39 Old 01-10-2020, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
^colors on my previous Sony 940e were great, but they are also as great on my 77C8, not too much difference, on the other hand my Q8 has the most cartoonish colors of any TV in my house. On Sony's part, they do seem more interested in Oleds than LCD. Still no true successor to the Z9D, so while you might call other brands wannabes, they still have some compelling offers.
Which do you prefer?

NAD 758 v3 with Dirac 7.6.4 + Rotel 976 + Panamax M5300-PM + B6 OLED 65
Speakers: Paradigm Prestige 75F's + 55C; 8x Paradigm CI Pro P65-R's
Subs1: 2x LRK Build Thread + 2x Rotel 981 (bridged); retired: VRK Build thread
Subs2: 2x Rythmik LVX12; 2x Dayton HF 12's Ultra-NearField + Crown XLS 2002
MiniDSP HD & Non; DIY Room Treatments: Dutch Floral Prints
post #26 of 39 Old 01-10-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiegr View Post
I'm not convinced 8K over 4K at anything smaller than 85" matters

Right, but this is a thread about 85" sets where the OP's trying to decide on the best purchase. In that regard, 8K increases in importance especially if this will be long-term ownership.
post #27 of 39 Old 01-10-2020, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcinnamon View Post
Which do you prefer?
Oh without a doubt the C8.
Gillietalls likes this.
post #28 of 39 Old 01-10-2020, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Right, but this is a thread about 85" sets where the OP's trying to decide on the best purchase. In that regard, 8K increases in importance especially if this will be long-term ownership.
I would wanna see how the 85 Vizio performs...that set could be a wildcard, especially how Vizio prices their set.
Chapla1n and lucacow like this.
post #29 of 39 Old 01-10-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
I would wanna see how the 85 Vizio performs...that set could be a wildcard, especially how Vizio prices their set.

In addition to processing, Vizo has really struggled with panel uniformity and banding over the last few years. It's critical they significantly improve these areas in 2020, otherwise TCL will continue dominating the mid-tier range. Vizio really needs a huge year to get back into the game, I'm interested to see how things go especially with their first OLED.
post #30 of 39 Old 01-10-2020, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^from the owners threads, no one can argue on the uniformity side of things. However I owned a 2017 P series and didnt have any issues with its processing or upscaling. An 85 inch TV with all those zones and the brightness for an affordable price is gonna be hard to top.
lucacow likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page