Samsung Q80R Local Dimming issues with low backlight - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-14-2020, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Samsung Q80R Local Dimming issues with low backlight

Wondering if anyone else is experiencing issues with local dimming on the Samsung Q80R. I have the 82" model and it's great, but the dimming is driving me crazy. It's turning off entire regions of the screen at a time in dark scenes to the point that all details are lost and it only returns when there is something light on the screen (e.g. even bringing up the playback controls will stop the dimming temporarily).

Settings are mostly the default "movie" picture settings, with all the "smart" processing turned off. Eco mode is off and there is no automatic brightness adjustment on. The only thing is, I can't completely disable local dimming (only option is "low"). Now, we noticed the issue at first because I turned the backlight to 0 because the image looked best that way in the very dark/light controlled room. I eventually found that turning the backlight up to 3 or 4 will make the video watch-able but the dimming is still distracting and driving me a little crazy. Going up to more like 10/12 seems to hide any of the issues.

Here's a video I made to try to show the issue with a few different backlight settings over the same few scenes in HBO's His Dark Materials where it was un-watchable (view in 4k full screen to get a better look at the details):

The video shows some side-by-side comparisons where details are clearly lost due to dimming (and you can see regions of the screen noticeably dim as the scene gets dark). I recorded this on a camera with a constant aperture/shutter, so the changes in brightness (except maybe once where I'm trying to get the on-screen display to show in the video) are all as seen by the TV. Sorry for the bad focus, got kind of lazy.

Can anyone tell me how to access the hidden menu that would let me turn dimming off (I had read there was some way to do it on the rtings calibration page)? I'm about ready to buy a remote if it's actually possible to turn it off that way. Or are there other settings that I might try first? Or do I just need to live with a higher backlight setting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5308 Post(s)
Liked: 3677
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsnowboard View Post
Wondering if anyone else is experiencing issues with local dimming on the Samsung Q80R. I have the 82" model and it's great, but the dimming is driving me crazy. It's turning off entire regions of the screen at a time in dark scenes to the point that all details are lost and it only returns when there is something light on the screen (e.g. even bringing up the playback controls will stop the dimming temporarily).

Settings are mostly the default "movie" picture settings, with all the "smart" processing turned off. Eco mode is off and there is no automatic brightness adjustment on. The only thing is, I can't completely disable local dimming (only option is "low"). Now, we noticed the issue at first because I turned the backlight to 0 because the image looked best that way in the very dark/light controlled room. I eventually found that turning the backlight up to 3 or 4 will make the video watch-able but the dimming is still distracting and driving me a little crazy. Going up to more like 10/12 seems to hide any of the issues.

Here's a video I made to try to show the issue with a few different backlight settings over the same few scenes in HBO's His Dark Materials where it was un-watchable (view in 4k full screen to get a better look at the details): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60-8v6hKaho

The video shows some side-by-side comparisons where details are clearly lost due to dimming (and you can see regions of the screen noticeably dim as the scene gets dark). I recorded this on a camera with a constant aperture/shutter, so the changes in brightness (except maybe once where I'm trying to get the on-screen display to show in the video) are all as seen by the TV. Sorry for the bad focus, got kind of lazy.

Can anyone tell me how to access the hidden menu that would let me turn dimming off (I had read there was some way to do it on the rtings calibration page)? I'm about ready to buy a remote if it's actually possible to turn it off that way. Or are there other settings that I might try first? Or do I just need to live with a higher backlight setting?
Samsung is known for being to aggressive with local dimming to increase contrast.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2018 Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #3 of 6 Old Yesterday, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Different Firmware are known to have varied results. Some work better than others. No firmware likes the same exact settings. (tweaked to different targets??)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 209
That's too low of a setting for the backlight, that's why. Don't know how that looks good to you. The image shouldn't be that dark. I have the Q70 and just used those SDR settings and turned the lights out. Too dark that's crushing detail and daytime scenes that should have a little more life.
post #5 of 6 Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5308 Post(s)
Liked: 3677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spewdom View Post
That's too low of a setting for the backlight, that's why. Don't know how that looks good to you. The image shouldn't be that dark. I have the Q70 and just used those SDR settings and turned the lights out. Too dark that's crushing detail and daytime scenes that should have a little more life.
SDR content in a room with no lights are typically set to 100-120 nits by critical viewers. On a Samsung with local dimming this will crush blacks unfortunately.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2018 Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #6 of 6 Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Anyone ever thought maybe the actual LEDs might not be able to run at the power they get when running low backlight? Not enough voltage to drive at those settings? Or a limitation of the board driver.

I see various LED backlight issues when trying low levels even on the 2018 Q8DN. Though different firmware has made it worse or better depending on how you want it setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
dimming , q80r

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page