Help me choose: LG 9070 86” or Sony 900F 85” - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By dagger3

post #1 of 13 Old 01-17-2020, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help me choose: LG 9070 86” or Sony 900F 85”

Hi all,

Looking for some recommendations on these two similarly priced sets. I’ve read up and understand the differences between the IPS and VA panels and while my room setup would benefit from good wide angle viewing (furthest seat maybe 50-55 degrees off center) it looks like the reviews are consistently better on the Sony. A bit about what I’m looking for:

- Under $3k
- 85” or bigger
- It will be in the basement so lots of sports with lights on but also will be biggest TV in the house so would like to watch movies lights off.
- As I mentioned, the room is essentially a rectangle with the TV on the long wall with seating about 12’ away. I’d also like it to also have a decent picture when viewed from across the rooms (pretty open basement with two “rooms” and no walls)
- Features like HDMI 2.1 are cool but not critical to have

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I don’t necessarily want to wait but could make the case if there’s a TV that would meet my specs and price coming out in 2020.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-17-2020, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob16459 View Post
Hi all,

Looking for some recommendations on these two similarly priced sets. I’ve read up and understand the differences between the IPS and VA panels and while my room setup would benefit from good wide angle viewing (furthest seat maybe 50-55 degrees off center) it looks like the reviews are consistently better on the Sony. A bit about what I’m looking for:

- Under $3k
- 85” or bigger
- It will be in the basement so lots of sports with lights on but also will be biggest TV in the house so would like to watch movies lights off.
- As I mentioned, the room is essentially a rectangle with the TV on the long wall with seating about 12’ away. I’d also like it to also have a decent picture when viewed from across the rooms (pretty open basement with two “rooms” and no walls)
- Features like HDMI 2.1 are cool but not critical to have

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I don’t necessarily want to wait but could make the case if there’s a TV that would meet my specs and price coming out in 2020.

Thanks!

I bought the Sony but IMO you won’t go wrong with either TV. It came down for me to brand preference and actually seeing them in person. I was blown away by the Sony picture quality.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-17-2020, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 5
IPS tv's are horrible for watching dark scenes and it's magnified the bigger the screen is... it is very foolish to get the lg 86 inch LG imo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-17-2020, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothbutter View Post
IPS tv's are horrible for watching dark scenes and it's magnified the bigger the screen is... it is very foolish to get the lg 86 inch LG imo
I can confirm this from owning the 75' for a year. If you dont care about blacks or movie watching then its a great tv however its the worst performing tv in black levels i've ever owned. I sold it after a year. Their Super Full Array backlight is the biggest marketing bs ever. Things got like 6 zones. They really need to address this with a proper back light as everything else about the tv was some of my favorites. Especially usability.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-17-2020, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I have the Sony and it's pretty amazing. I also have a lesser LG, and its motion is horrible, and this is supposedly and LG thing through the fabric of their line. So, with the VA panel and better motion in the Sony, I'd say that would get my vote.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-17-2020, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all for the replies. Sounds like the Sony is the better TV. For anyone that’s owned it, how are the viewing angles in real world viewing?
post #7 of 13 Old 01-17-2020, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Thanks all for the replies. Sounds like the Sony is the better TV. For anyone that’s owned it, how are the viewing angles in real world viewing?
It's a VA panel, so off-axis viewing does cause some contrast shift and makes the local dimming appear to have some blooming. I have a swivel mount and aim it at my seat, so it's not an issue for me, but it may be for you.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-17-2020, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Viewing angles are not very good. The 950g will fix that issue but is out of your budget unless you can wait for several months for it to drop a bit.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-17-2020, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Never buy an LCD made by LG, they are pure junk.
lucacow likes this.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-17-2020, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Do you think the 960G has a shot at $3k, even when the new models come out? That would be another $1k off current prices but worth waiting for.
post #11 of 13 Old 01-18-2020, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Do you think the 960G has a shot at $3k, even when the new models come out? That would be another $1k off current prices but worth waiting for.
How long do you want to wait? If you are ready to buy now then do it. JMO
post #12 of 13 Old 01-18-2020, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Newegg.com has the set right now for under $3,000. I have no idea how reputable they are but if you shop around you can find an online retailer to get very close to that. I’d also give Cleveland plasma a shot as I’d bet they wouldn’t be too far off that price. I’d personally buy one locally due to easy returns if needed but if you have a hard budget and can get the set you truly want online while meeting your price requirement it would be enticing for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D299C92C-2F7B-4CFD-B076-D5E772A3573F_1579363221807.png
Views:	39
Size:	4.06 MB
ID:	2671734  
post #13 of 13 Old 01-18-2020, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all. I’m looking to buy now but would wait a month or so if I can get a nicer TV for the same money.

Appreciate the NewEgg suggestion. I’m a little wary given the reviews of that seller but I did reach out to Cleveland Plasma to see what they can do. If that doesn’t pan out I’ll probably buy one of the original options this weekend.

Any other feedback/advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page