TCL not sending sound to receiver via ARC - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 43 Old 01-23-2020, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 8
TCL not sending sound to receiver via ARC

I have a TCL 4 Series 65 inch and a Pioneer VSX-LX 503. They are connected v.i.a. ARC with a 10 foot passive HDMI Cable (this one here) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R8GLC2G..._rHFkEbWCVYENH

When I use apps on my T.V. like Netflix , sometimes I dont get sound, and have to turn the T.V. off and then back on in order for the sound to finally come through the receiver. It seems to work sporadically. Same thing with my cable box that I have plugged directly into my T.V. Sometimes the ARC works and sends sound to my receiver, sometimes it doesn't and I have to turn off and on the T.V. and then it works fine.

I tried setting the audio on the TCL to Auto, PCM, D, and D+ on the TV, but it makes no difference. ARC and CEC are enabled on both the T.V. and the receiver. I just dont know why it would work sometimes but not other times.

No issues with my blu ray player that's connected to my Receiver directly.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 01-23-2020, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Should HDMI passthrough be turned off on the receiver? Could this be the reason?

post #3 of 43 Old 01-24-2020, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Factory reset everything, disconnected everything....still same issue. Did the secret menu and made sure it was in enhanced mode. On the T.V., I cant turn off Passthrough without turning off ARC at the same time for some reason so that has to stay on. Still, nobody??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 Old 01-24-2020, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Weird that it would work some times and not others. I've heard one device can ruin ARC for the whole system, so maybe unplug everything and then plug them back in one at a time. I was having issues with ARC on my 8 Series, and it seems either my PS4 or Sony UHD player are causing issues. I'm waiting on new HDMI cables before I can test out the system again.
post #5 of 43 Old 01-24-2020, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
Weird that it would work some times and not others. I've heard one device can ruin ARC for the whole system, so maybe unplug everything and then plug them back in one at a time. I was having issues with ARC on my 8 Series, and it seems either my PS4 or Sony UHD player are causing issues. I'm waiting on new HDMI cables before I can test out the system again.
Same here...I already unplugged everything and did a factory reset and turned everything back on together once plugged back in...I am waiting on an active hdmi cable from amazon I'm gonna try out for arc. I mean, I only have a 10 foot passive cable now so that shouldn't be an issue...but we will see....I've tried everything else I think

post #6 of 43 Old 01-24-2020, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCassera View Post
Factory reset everything, disconnected everything....still same issue. Did the secret menu and made sure it was in enhanced mode. On the T.V., I cant turn off Passthrough without turning off ARC at the same time for some reason so that has to stay on. Still, nobody??

ARC is great in theory but wildly unpredictable in implementation...if you can't get it to work consistently with your specific devices then your best bet is to switch to an optical cable to feed the audio back from the TV to the AVR and save yourself from the ongoing frustration.

"You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means."

-Steve-

TCL 55R617, Denon AVR-X2400H, Philips BDP-7502, Onkyo DX-C390, (2) HEOS 3HS2's,
Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble (FR/FL), MC150 (C), S100 (SR/SL), KLH E-12DB (SW)
post #7 of 43 Old 01-25-2020, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdelaney View Post
ARC is great in theory but wildly unpredictable in implementation...if you can't get it to work consistently with your specific devices then your best bet is to switch to an optical cable to feed the audio back from the TV to the AVR and save yourself from the ongoing frustration.
Will the optical cable downgrade the already crappy netflix audio output? Or can it handle the whooping 650kbps produced by netflix without having to downgrade the audio?

Last edited by MisterCassera; 01-25-2020 at 08:54 AM.
post #8 of 43 Old 01-25-2020, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Will the optical cable downgrade the already crally netflix audio output? Or can it handle the whooping 650kbps produced by netflix without having to downgrade the audio?

I'm not an expert but throughout these forums you will find advice to dump ARC and go with Optical if ARC is acting up in your specific system. My understanding is that anything fed back to your AVR from the TV is going to be lossy so you should not see any degradation by going optical. Feel free to search for "ARC" under any of the TV or AVR specific threads and you will find an abundance of references.

from Wikipedia:
"TOSLINK (from Toshiba Link[2]) is a standardized optical fiber connector system.[3] Also known generically as an "optical audio cable" or just "optical cable", its most common use is in consumer audio equipment (via a "digital optical" socket), where it carries a digital audio stream from components such as CD and DVD players, DAT recorders, computers, and modern video game consoles, to an AV receiver that can decode two channels of uncompressed lossless PCM audio or compressed 5.1/7.1 surround sound such as Dolby Digital or DTS Surround System. Unlike HDMI, TOSLINK does not have the bandwidth to carry the lossless versions of Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, or more than two channels of PCM audio."

"You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means."

-Steve-

TCL 55R617, Denon AVR-X2400H, Philips BDP-7502, Onkyo DX-C390, (2) HEOS 3HS2's,
Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble (FR/FL), MC150 (C), S100 (SR/SL), KLH E-12DB (SW)
post #9 of 43 Old 01-25-2020, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Hmm...I know both produce ****ty audio quality ....just wondering if the optical cable will be the limiting factor here further restricting the Netflix bitrate...or if it can more than handle the netflix bitrate without having to compress.

post #10 of 43 Old 01-25-2020, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 370
ARC is better than optical. More BW, better audio format support such as DD+, ATMOS, CEC control. As far as Netflix goes, they claim up to 768K over DD+. You wont get that. To will get DD (not DD+). Will you hear a difference? Probably not.

That being said, getting ARC to work should be simple. The 10' cable length is not an issue. You dont need a fancy active cable. Maybe the cable you have is bad. You could also have a defect in the TV itself. Bad HDMI port. Same with the AVR. Do you have a different TV you can connect up to that AVR to test?

I have a TCL 4 series but its in a workout room and not connected to an AVR. I also have a 6 series connected to a Denon AVR. Everything I do with that TV is either OTA or onboard apps. 100% of the time, audio is ARC with that setup. No problems.

Last edited by sjm817; 01-25-2020 at 01:24 PM.
post #11 of 43 Old 01-25-2020, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 856
Quote:
I have a TCL 4 Series 65 inch and a Pioneer VSX-LX 503. They are connected v.i.a. ARC with a 10 foot passive HDMI Cable (this one here) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R8GLC2G..._rHFkEbWCVYENH

When I use apps on my T.V. like Netflix , sometimes I dont get sound, and have to turn the T.V. off and then back on in order for the sound to finally come through the receiver. It seems to work sporadically. Same thing with my cable box that I have plugged directly into my T.V. Sometimes the ARC works and sends sound to my receiver, sometimes it doesn't and I have to turn off and on the T.V. and then it works fine.

I tried setting the audio on the TCL to Auto, PCM, D, and D+ on the TV, but it makes no difference. ARC and CEC are enabled on both the T.V. and the receiver. I just dont know why it would work sometimes but not other times.

No issues with my blu ray player that's connected to my Receiver directly.

Are you plugging in the HDMI cable for ARC into HDMI port #3 on the TCL? The 4 series looks to be the same as my 6 series 75", where only port#3 is designated as ARC compatible. My TCL and Denon X4400H work fine together. Although I really don't use ARC. I use an optical from the TCL to a soundbar for news/weather, and occasional Youtube content. A Fire TV, usb drive, cd player and Bluray supply picture and sound directly from the Denons HDMI ports.
post #12 of 43 Old 01-25-2020, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post
ARC is better than optical. More BW, better audio format support such as DD+, ATMOS, CEC control. As far as Netflix goes, they claim up to 768K over DD+. You wont get that. To will get DD (not DD+). Will you hear a difference? Probably not.

That being said, getting ARC to work should be simple. The 10' cable length is not an issue. You dont need a fancy active cable. Maybe the cable you have is bad. You could also have a defect in the TV itself. Bad HDMI port. Same with the AVR. Do you have a different TV you can connect up to that AVR to test?

I have a TCL 4 series but its in a workout room and not connected to an AVR. I also have a 6 series connected to a Denon AVR. Everything I do with that TV is either OTA or onboard apps. 100% of the time, audio is ARC with that setup. No problems.
I appreciate the feedback! I'm thinking it's the cable...I got an active cable because I actually need a 20 foot cable (the 10 foot is not long enough (that's what she said).

The AVR is brand new, if the cable doesn't work, I will try the optical cable. Not worth the trouble of further investigation if an optical cable will fix the issue and keep my tv audio quality the same (when using streaming services apps on my tv)

post #13 of 43 Old 01-25-2020, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRAYB View Post
Are you plugging in the HDMI cable for ARC into HDMI port #3 on the TCL? The 4 series looks to be the same as my 6 series 75", where only port#3 is designated as ARC compatible. My TCL and Denon X4400H work fine together. Although I really don't use ARC. I use an optical from the TCL to a soundbar for news/weather, and occasional Youtube content. A Fire TV, usb drive, cd player and Bluray supply picture and sound directly from the Denons HDMI ports.
No. For the 4 series, I believe it's the first Port. It's for sure plugged into the ARC port. I triple checked. If it wasn't, then ARC would NEVER work. I'm my case, it works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. Makes me think it's a handshake or connection issue.

post #14 of 43 Old 01-25-2020, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

OK. If by "first" you mean "#3" then cool. Image below taken from the actual manual. On the TCL is "system audio control" checked along with ARC? The Roku volume knob appears in the upper right corner. Although the avr is actually controlling the volume. When I do use ARC, both the first two boxes have to be checked or the Denon will not produce sound. If all above are true...ditch it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	23
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	2675830  

Last edited by MRAYB; 01-25-2020 at 02:30 PM.
post #15 of 43 Old 01-25-2020, 04:34 PM

Hey guys, quick question: When you turn on your TV connected by ARC, does it always turn your AVR on too? I'd rather have the AVR be able to be turned on and off independently, but I haven't been able to do that. Maybe there's a setting I'm not aware of?
post #16 of 43 Old 01-25-2020, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hey guys, quick question: When you turn on your TV connected by ARC, does it always turn your AVR on too? I'd rather have the AVR be able to be turned on and off independently, but I haven't been able to do that. Maybe there's a setting I'm not aware of?
Look for "CEC". Consumer Electronic Control. Different than "ARC". Audio Return Channel. Should be under a power or system setting.
post #17 of 43 Old 01-25-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Look for "CEC". Consumer Electronic Control. Different than "ARC". Audio Return Channel. Should be under a power or system setting.
Right, I've done that, but my receiver still turns on with the TV. So I'm asking if everyone's does that, or just mine? It's a Denon 4400.
post #18 of 43 Old 01-25-2020, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Right, I've done that, but my receiver still turns on with the TV. So I'm asking if everyone's does that, or just mine? It's a Denon 4400.
ok. I also use a X4400H and NO, it does not turn on. Is "HDMI Control" turned off on the Denon?
post #19 of 43 Old 01-25-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
ok. I also use a X4400H and NO, it does not turn on. Is "HDMI Control" turned off on the Denon?

Interesting. Thanks for your reply. I'm going to fool around with my settings and figure this out!
post #20 of 43 Old 01-25-2020, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Interesting. Thanks for your reply. I'm going to fool around with my settings and figure this out!
I setup a new tv around Thanksgiving. Messing with everything for the first time, there was a point where the Denon would turn off/on with the tv. I can't stand it. Takes some tinkering, but it will work on its own...

Video/HDMI Setup
1) HDMI Audio Out=AVR (grayed out)
2) HDMI Pass Through= ON
3) Pass Through Source= LAST
4) RC Source Select= Source Select Only

5) HDMI Control= Off
6) ARC= On
The rest are grayed out because HDMI Control is turned off. The rest should be on your tv. Make sure CEC is off. Good luck
post #21 of 43 Old 01-27-2020, 12:20 AM

Quote:
I setup a new tv around Thanksgiving. Messing with everything for the first time, there was a point where the Denon would turn off/on with the tv. I can't stand it. Takes some tinkering, but it will work on its own...

Video/HDMI Setup
1) HDMI Audio Out=AVR (grayed out)
2) HDMI Pass Through= ON
3) Pass Through Source= LAST
4) RC Source Select= Source Select Only

5) HDMI Control= Off
6) ARC= On
The rest are grayed out because HDMI Control is turned off. The rest should be on your tv. Make sure CEC is off. Good luck

Okay, I think I might have it figured out! I had to unplug my cable box's HDMI cable and then re-plug it in for whatever reason. Now it seems to be working. That's literally all it took. Thanks for your help!
post #22 of 43 Old 01-27-2020, 02:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Okay, I think I might have it figured out! I had to unplug my cable box's HDMI cable and then re-plug it in for whatever reason. Now it seems to be working. That's literally all it took. Thanks for your help!
Glad you got the problem worked out. Now you need to work on your other problem......what are you still doing with a cable box!!
JTH182 likes this.
post #23 of 43 Old 02-01-2020, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

So I purchased an active hdmi cable and that seemed to fix the issue with the audio only sometimes working when watching tv or tv apps.....so far

post #24 of 43 Old 02-01-2020, 09:53 AM

Liked: 104
I have this issues in the TCL R625 thread forum. I contacted TCL this is a known issue and hopefully it will be corrected with a firmware update. TCL knows this is an issue
post #25 of 43 Old 02-01-2020, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottt1174 View Post
I have this issues in the TCL R625 thread forum. I contacted TCL this is a known issue and hopefully it will be corrected with a firmware update. TCL knows this is an issue
Maybe I just wasted 25 bucks on a HDMI cord....lmaoo. but it's been good so far with the Active HDMI.

post #26 of 43 Old 02-01-2020, 12:14 PM

Yeah well guess what I did I was trying a different HDMI cable just to see what happens and the TCL wasnt detecting my receiver and I was so pissed I was trying for a good hour to figure out what the hell could be wrong just from switching the HDMI cable. I factory reset the TCL and factory reset my Pioneer receiver and NOTHING. This was going on for an hour. Do you know what it was it was the ****ing HDMI cable want pressed in all the way snug in the HDMI port then it started to work again. I wanted to punch the tv...lol
post #27 of 43 Old 02-01-2020, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah well guess what I did I was trying a different HDMI cable just to see what happens and the TCL wasnt detecting my receiver and I was so pissed I was trying for a good hour to figure out what the hell could be wrong just from switching the HDMI cable. I factory reset the TCL and factory reset my Pioneer receiver and NOTHING. This was going on for an hour. Do you know what it was it was the ****ing HDMI cable want pressed in all the way snug in the HDMI port then it started to work again. I wanted to punch the tv...lol
Lmaooo....yeah, I thought I was doing something similar...but I tried everything you just said and still nothing. The only time it works steady is with an Active HDMI cable.

post #28 of 43 Old 02-01-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
lol, that happened to me once too.

The only issue I'm having right now is that when I play PS4 games through my receiver, the next time I go to watch something the speakers don't work until I turn the PS4 back on. This must "clear" the connection or something, idk. It's a minor inconvenience though.
post #29 of 43 Old 02-02-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Quote:
lol, that happened to me once too.

The only issue I'm having right now is that when I play PS4 games through my receiver, the next time I go to watch something the speakers don't work until I turn the PS4 back on. This must "clear" the connection or something, idk. It's a minor inconvenience though.
I think what you guys are missing about my complaint is if you only use your AVR for sound and not video and if you have a HDMI cable hooked up to your receiver ARC OUT to the TCL tv which mine is the new R625 65" my receiver always will say in my display DD+. If I am watching a 2 channel source my display will always say DD+ not 2.0 and can't switch to Prologic on my receiver. TCL replicated this in there office and it's an issue that hopefully will be resolved with a firmware fix.
post #30 of 43 Old 02-02-2020, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
I think what you guys are missing about my complaint is if you only use your AVR for sound and not video and if you have a HDMI cable hooked up to your receiver ARC OUT to the TCL tv which mine is the new R625 65" my receiver always will say in my display DD+. If I am watching a 2 channel source my display will always say DD+ not 2.0 and can't switch to Prologic on my receiver. TCL replicated this in there office and it's an issue that hopefully will be resolved with a firmware fix.
Hmm interesting. I will try that. Give me an example of a 2 CH source doing that. Like OTA 2 ch? Not quite following what your use case is.

Last edited by sjm817; 02-02-2020 at 01:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page