Where do you draw the line for size? 85" + - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Diocletian
  • 1 Post By purduesd

post #1 of 22 Old 01-25-2020, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Where do you draw the line for size? 85" +

So i have a basement. Its big, open. Going to be the Hangout spot, parties, movies, bar, watch the game. Etc.
I don't have typical size constraints for a display.

Initially i was bouncing between 77" and 85"
After a bunch of go and see, I determined for me, 85" was the min. I absolutely love the 77" c9 and the q90 82" is really great too. But in the store, side by side, an 85" is just too much bigger to pass up.

So, Sony 950G is the only half reasonable option. But it will leave me wishing it had better contrast, brightness and black level. It just will.

Ive always been a TV guy, I like brightness! But lately I've been counting beans and realized i could go bigger... much bigger. Projection. 120"/ 130" for the same type of budget or a little more. Big drawbacks in my scenario with open room and ambient light, but there are workable options. I'm actually considering a dual setup. (LCD behind drop down projection screen) or (dual projector... bright/ dark)

For you, what is enough... or never enough! Im not sure i have the answer....yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-25-2020, 10:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 141
82 vs 85 is hardly noticable. And I hardly ever watch my projector anymore.
post #3 of 22 Old 01-25-2020, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by purduesd View Post
So i have a basement. Its big, open. Going to be the Hangout spot, parties, movies, bar, watch the game. Etc.

After a bunch of go and see, I determined for me, 85" was the min. I absolutely love the 77" c9 and the q90 82" is really great too. But in the store, side by side, an 85" is just too much bigger to pass up.

So, Sony 950G is the only half reasonable option. But it will leave me wishing it had better contrast, brightness and black level. It just will.

Ive always been a TV guy, I like brightness! But lately I've been counting beans and realized i could go bigger... much bigger. Projection. 120"/ 130" for the same type of budget or a little more. Big drawbacks in my scenario with open room and ambient light, but there are workable options. I'm actually considering a dual setup. (LCD behind drop down projection screen) or (dual projector... bright/ dark)

For you, what is enough... or never enough! Im not sure i have the answer....yet.
How do you know that the 950g will leaving you wanting better contrast and the like?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 01-26-2020, 12:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMak00 View Post
Quote:

How do you know that the 950g will leaving you wanting better contrast and the like?

Because He’s comparing it to an OLED TV?
post #5 of 22 Old 01-26-2020, 02:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Do not get an 85" set if you ideally want and can fit 120"-130"

85" will be way too small for you and will cause buyer's remorse

Check out the projector forums for the best suggestions in your budget range
post #6 of 22 Old 01-26-2020, 03:35 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 42
If you could cover the wall with a flat poster-thin TV, you would, no matter the size. The only things limiting the size of the TVs we buy are the cost and the bulk of the electronics we have to mount into a space. That's the only 2 places where you draw a line.

As soon as technology progresses to the point where everybody can put stick a display the thinness of an magazine on their wall at the cost of $2000 or less, everybody will just say "give me a TV that covers my entire wall".
purduesd likes this.
post #7 of 22 Old 01-26-2020, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperco View Post
82 vs 85 is hardly noticable. And I hardly ever watch my projector anymore.

I thought the same thing until i saw them side by side. It's very noticeable side by side in person. 7% bigger
Roctopuss likes this.
post #8 of 22 Old 01-26-2020, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMak00 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by the7mcs View Post
Because He’s comparing it to an OLED TV?
Yep, honestly the q90r has way better blacks too. Not near the issues with blooming either. But they are smaller.
post #9 of 22 Old 01-26-2020, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagger3 View Post

Thats just it, ideally i want the giant screen for immersion. But, I'm not sure that i can deal with its drawbacks. (ambient light performance) So, I'm looking into dual projector, or projector and a tv options. The projector forums have been really helpful. I just keep finding myself wanting the TV brightness, wish i could get that in a bigger size, even if it were double the price.
post #10 of 22 Old 01-26-2020, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagger3 View Post

Thats just it, ideally i want the giant screen for immersion. But, I'm not sure that i can deal with its drawbacks. (ambient light performance) So, I'm looking into dual projector, or projector and a tv options. The projector forums have been really helpful. I just keep finding myself wanting the TV brightness, wish i could get that in a bigger size, even if it were double the price.
To me, you sound like a candidate for a projected. I like bright televisions too. Bright screens are really only needed in bright rooms.

You can click on my signature and I have links to my game room. The room is totally light controlled. So watching movies is an absolute Joy. I have a pretty decent JVC RS420 with a fairly good contrast ratio. Not that you need a JVC. But I paid that to a $340 for a 135 inch screen.

I have 8 100w CFL bulbs over the pool table. the recessed, so the point I am making is if I'm shooting pool and I have the 8 can lights on, be I can still enjoy watching something on the big screen. Because of the recessed nature of the lights, a lot of the light flows down and doesn't really reflect back to wash out the screen.

So I think I get the best of both worlds.

You can visit the other forums for screens. You could either paint your own ambient light rejecting screen. I built my first screen. But it was not ambient light rejection. or you can see if you can pull your money together for a decent projector and a residential grade ambient light rejecting screen. That would give you the best of both worlds.

Don't know if that's in your budget.

Not really sure if you can get the feel of immersion with a flat panel if you going to have a group of people viewing at the same time.

-T
post #11 of 22 Old 01-26-2020, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
To me, you sound like a candidate for a projected. I like bright televisions too. Bright screens are really only needed in bright rooms.

You can click on my signature and I have links to my game room. The room is totally light controlled. So watching movies is an absolute Joy. I have a pretty decent JVC RS420 with a fairly good contrast ratio. Not that you need a JVC. But I paid that to a $340 for a 135 inch screen.

I have 8 100w CFL bulbs over the pool table. the recessed, so the point I am making is if I'm shooting pool and I have the 8 can lights on, be I can still enjoy watching something on the big screen. Because of the recessed nature of the lights, a lot of the light flows down and doesn't really reflect back to wash out the screen.

You can visit the other forums for screens. You could either paint your own ambient light rejecting screen. I built my first screen. But it was not ambient light rejection. or you can see if you can pull your money together for a decent projector and a residential grade ambient light rejecting screen. That would give you the best of both worlds.

Not really sure if you can get the feel of immersion with a flat panel if you going to have a group of people viewing at the same time.

-T
Thanks!

I am thinking of paring
JVC NX5 with either a brighter (maybe laser or epson) projector on a 120" fixed
or
JVC NX5 with 85" 950G behind a roll down.

All my lighting is LED can wafers and will be on dimmers. Im not sure i want an ALR with the JVC because i like bright whites. And the JVC isn't bright enough for a lot of ambient light im being told.

Your setup looks very nice! Congrats! You wouldn't happen to have any shots of the picture with the lights on?
post #12 of 22 Old 01-26-2020, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

-T
Thanks!

I am thinking of paring
JVC NX5 with either a brighter (maybe laser or epson) projector on a 120" fixed
or
JVC NX5 with 85" 950G behind a roll down.

All my lighting is LED can wafers and will be on dimmers. Im not sure i want an ALR with the JVC because i like bright whites. And the JVC isn't bright enough for a lot of ambient light im being told.

Your setup looks very nice! Congrats! You wouldn't happen to have any shots of the picture with the lights on?
Thanks for the compliment.

No shots with the light on at the moment.

I'll be up in it for the super bowl next weekend. I'll take some shots then and post them here. The bulbs are $500 to replace. although I can get them somewhere cheaper if I shop around. so it's not the kind of thing where I just want to flip it on for 10 minutes just to take a photograph for you 🙂

-T
post #13 of 22 Old 01-27-2020, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'll be up in it for the super bowl next weekend. I'll take some shots then and post them here. The bulbs are $500 to replace. although I can get them somewhere cheaper if I shop around. so it's not the kind of thing where I just want to flip it on for 10 minutes just to take a photograph for you 🙂

-T
Thanks i really appreciate it! That's the kind of thing that makes me leary of a projector vs tv. Seems like there is a loss of convience and usability.
post #14 of 22 Old 01-27-2020, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

-T
Thanks i really appreciate it! That's the kind of thing that makes me leary of a projector vs tv. Seems like there is a loss of convience and usability.
Yeah, that is a drawback of the PJ. My last PJ was an epson 3010... Bulbs were 100 bucks I think. I would turn on the PJ for 10 minutes if I needed to check something real quick.

I read something years ago that most bulb degradation happens when the bulb first turns on. That was back in 2004. I have no idea if that still applies.. or if it was valid information to begin with.

I should reearch it. I might be hamstring myself for no good reason 🙂

-T
post #15 of 22 Old 01-27-2020, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Vizio is coming out with a 85" Quantum X this year. Not sure when you are looking to buy, but the 2020 Quantum X lineup will probably be out around early Summer. The . Quantum X's tend to be really bright (close to 3000 nits) and be very good performers in contrast for an LCD. The 2020 line is said to have gotten an upgrade zone count as well.

post #16 of 22 Old 01-27-2020, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Get the LG UST projector. Thread for it in the $3k+ Projector forum.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #17 of 22 Old 01-27-2020, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Have you considered 85" Samsung Q70R (Q7D at warehouses)? It has better contrast and black level than 950G (plus no blooming) according to some of the reviews with lot of features that are shared with Q80R/Q90R. Mine is getting delivered this week.
post #18 of 22 Old 01-27-2020, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 74
The size of the screen is only relevant to the viewing distance. One of my sets is a 40", when I sit 4 feet from it, that screen is huge.

Last edited by Bill; 01-27-2020 at 08:47 PM.
post #19 of 22 Old 01-27-2020, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
The size of the screen is only relevant to the viewing distance.
Not really the case in an 1400sq ft entertaining space, with bar, game room, etc.... where people are up moving around while watching the game.

Also my static (couch) viewing distance is ~13'. +/- 1' max.
post #20 of 22 Old 01-27-2020, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by midorix View Post
Have you considered 85" Samsung Q70R (Q7D at warehouses)? It has better contrast and black level than 950G (plus no blooming) according to some of the reviews with lot of features that are shared with Q80R/Q90R. Mine is getting delivered this week.
I saw it in person next to a q90 in the store. There was also a 950g close by. The Q70 has a nice vivid picture, but was definitely a step lower in brightness than the q80/90 and the 950g. The reflection handling of the q70 kills it for me.
post #21 of 22 Old 01-27-2020, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I saw it in person next to a q90 in the store. There was also a 950g close by. The Q70 has a nice vivid picture, but was definitely a step lower in brightness than the q80/90 and the 950g. The reflection handling of the q70 kills it for me.
Yup....those are valid weakness of Q70R.
post #22 of 22 Old 02-07-2020, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My screen with 8x100w can lights on. I used manual mode on phone, so the image is pretty close to what my eye was seeing.

Image from Dark Knight Rises.

I think the image is good enough for watching sports while shooting pool. Recessed lights, so not much light shines directly on screen.

-T
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200207_134517_1581104548302.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	2681768  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page