Sony TV's with HDMI 2.1? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 4 Post By sodaboy581
  • 1 Post By Panson
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 02-01-2020, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
todd1010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 770
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Sony TV's with HDMI 2.1?

I'm not really seeing any with this feature? It seems that LG is about the only one or am I missing something?

Pro : Marantz AV8805
Main & Center Speakers : Phase Technology PC 3.5, & Surrounds
Amplifiers : Emotiva UPA-1 Monoblocks, Marantz MM7055, SVS SB3000 Sub
Furman Elite-20PFi, Harmony Elite Remote
TV & Sources: Sony 75” 900F, Bluesound Node 2, Xbox One & Apple TV4K
todd1010 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 02-01-2020, 05:16 PM
Member
 
BLMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 26
The Z8H and X900H.
BLMN is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 02-02-2020, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pbz06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,230
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
We'll see if they rollout firmware in the future, or how relevant the features are at all, even for gamers. We won't really know until late 2020 or early 2021. LG is jumping on the bandwagon to try and get the masses, Sony quietly is confident who their target audience is.

It is funny when people are so quick to future proof, and now have HDMI 2.1 and no use for it, and then next year are talking about the next feature to hold out for.

Sony XBR-77A9G / Panasonic DP-UB9000 / Marantz SR7011 / SVS PB-4000 / Def Tech 9060 Series
pbz06 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 18 Old 02-02-2020, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 16,087
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked: 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLMN View Post
The Z8H and X900H.

Is that the complete HDMI 2.1 options sets capable of 48Gbps or just a partial option set (eARC, VRR, etc.)?

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 02-02-2020, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
sodaboy581's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Benicia, California
Posts: 814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
It is funny when people are so quick to future proof, and now have HDMI 2.1 and no use for it, and then next year are talking about the next feature to hold out for.
I'm not sure how that is funny, but I suppose everyone has a different sense of humor.

You, yourself, may not have a use for HDMI 2.1 now, but there are, in fact, people who are taking advantage HDMI 2.1 features right now. Gamers, of course, are currently using VRR (LG OLED TVs with Gsync over HDMI) and ALLM. Gamers and non-gamers alike also benefit from eARC support when connecting devices directly to their TV or when using their TV internal apps and want high definition audio. A PC or gaming system would also not be able to take advantage of VRR or ALLM when connected to a receiver directly, so the system must be directly connected to the TV. Another reason eARC is needed.

Granted, Sony TVs now feature eARC support, but it would definitely be nice if Sony stepped their game up and delivered VRR, ALLM, higher resolutions, frame rates, and any other HDMI 2.1 features on TVs that could support it.

I don't think it's funny at all if someone wants to make a big purchase, like a TV, and would like to have certain features supported sooner rather than later. They like getting a better value for their money and also not having to think about buying another TV quicker than needs be. But, hey, feel free to laugh it up and make excuses for Sony, at the consumer's expense, if you find it that humorous.

I love Sony TVs, mind you, but it really looks like the majority of TVs they put out this year are just rebadged versions of last year's TVs, even down to the processor. That's pretty sad.

I have a 75" X950G but I'm definitely looking forward to an X950 with full HDMI 2.1 support. Someday.

Sony XBR-75X950G, Denon AVR-X2300W, Polk CS20 Center, Polk Monitor 75T Fronts, Polk TSI300 Rears, Power Sound Audio S1500 Subwoofer.
sodaboy581 is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 02-04-2020, 12:38 PM
Senior Member
 
mis3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I am confused about this HDMI 2.1 and eARC.
My understanding is eARC is a feature in HDMI 2.1.
I just bought a SONY X950G, it sports eARC but it is only HDMI 2.0.
mis3 is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 02-04-2020, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 3,789
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1234 Post(s)
Liked: 3940
Quote:
Originally Posted by mis3 View Post
I am confused about this HDMI 2.1 and eARC.
My understanding is eARC is a feature in HDMI 2.1.
I just bought a SONY X950G, it sports eARC but it is only HDMI 2.0.
FYI:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...ow-news-specs/
Jumpem likes this.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
Panson is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 02-04-2020, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 16,087
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked: 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by mis3 View Post
I am confused about this HDMI 2.1 and eARC.
My understanding is eARC is a feature in HDMI 2.1.
I just bought a SONY X950G, it sports eARC but it is only HDMI 2.0.

eARC and VRR can be implemented on the HDMI 2.0 chipsets with a firmware upgrade should the mfr choose to do so.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 02-04-2020, 01:35 PM
Senior Member
 
mis3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Thanks for the information.
Maybe Sony will add HDMI 2.1 to the X950G, depending if the port can support 48Gbps.
They did add eARC to the soundbar ST5000.

Last edited by mis3; 02-04-2020 at 01:48 PM.
mis3 is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 02-04-2020, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 16,087
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked: 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by mis3 View Post
Thanks for the information.
Maybe Sony will add HDMI 2.1 to the X950G, depending if the port can support 48Gbps.
They did add eARC to the soundbar ST5000.

Fully compliant HDMI 2.1, iow, all of the HDMI 2.1 options sets that are supported under the HDMI 2.1 specifications will require new chipsets. There will be no HDMI 2.0 chipset firmware upgrades to HDMI 2.1 that supports all of the options (48Gbps), at least as far as I know. Besides, your other HDMI connected devices will need to support the same options sets to avoid any issues. Sony did this when HDMI 2.0 was first released by upping the clock speed a bit on their HDMI 1.4 chipsets so that it fell within the lowest speed requirement for HDMI 2.0 and called it "HDMI 2.0 compatible". That was quite some time ago and since then HDMI.org has modified their requirement for labeling devices for HDMI 2.1 by requiring which options sets under HDMI 2.1 the devices support so we'll see.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #11 of 18 Old 02-06-2020, 10:31 AM
Member
 
BLMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Is that the complete HDMI 2.1 options sets capable of 48Gbps or just a partial option set (eARC, VRR, etc.)?

There is no clear info on Sony's website (at least about the Z8H) as of yet, they talk about a lot of things there but nothing on hdmi 2.1.
BLMN is offline  
post #12 of 18 Old 02-07-2020, 05:54 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 18
What are the 2020 options with HDMI 2.1 and Dolby Vision? Anything other than LG and Vizio?
Jumpem is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old 02-07-2020, 07:38 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaboy581 View Post
I'm not sure how that is funny, but I suppose everyone has a different sense of humor.

You, yourself, may not have a use for HDMI 2.1 now, but there are, in fact, people who are taking advantage HDMI 2.1 features right now. Gamers, of course, are currently using VRR (LG OLED TVs with Gsync over HDMI) and ALLM. Gamers and non-gamers alike also benefit from eARC support when connecting devices directly to their TV or when using their TV internal apps and want high definition audio. A PC or gaming system would also not be able to take advantage of VRR or ALLM when connected to a receiver directly, so the system must be directly connected to the TV. Another reason eARC is needed.

Granted, Sony TVs now feature eARC support, but it would definitely be nice if Sony stepped their game up and delivered VRR, ALLM, higher resolutions, frame rates, and any other HDMI 2.1 features on TVs that could support it.

I don't think it's funny at all if someone wants to make a big purchase, like a TV, and would like to have certain features supported sooner rather than later. They like getting a better value for their money and also not having to think about buying another TV quicker than needs be. But, hey, feel free to laugh it up and make excuses for Sony, at the consumer's expense, if you find it that humorous.

I love Sony TVs, mind you, but it really looks like the majority of TVs they put out this year are just rebadged versions of last year's TVs, even down to the processor. That's pretty sad.

I have a 75" X950G but I'm definitely looking forward to an X950 with full HDMI 2.1 support. Someday.
Very well said. Not to mention, Xbox Series X and PS5 will both support HDMI 2.1 and 4k @ 120hz. They launch in November so, yeah, it's kind of important to have a HDMI 2.1 compliant TV when spending thousands.
DanielPlainv1ew is offline  
post #14 of 18 Old 02-07-2020, 01:22 PM
Member
 
BLMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielPlainv1ew View Post
Very well said. Not to mention, Xbox Series X and PS5 will both support HDMI 2.1 and 4k @ 120hz. They launch in November so, yeah, it's kind of important to have a HDMI 2.1 compliant TV when spending thousands.
Support yes, doesn't mean it will be used anytime soon ([email protected]). VRR can be added to HDMI 2.0 btw.
BLMN is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old 02-07-2020, 01:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLMN View Post
Support yes, doesn't mean it will be used anytime soon ([email protected]). VRR can be added to HDMI 2.0 btw.
I'm willing to bet that games will support 4k @ 120hz within a year after the consoles launch, if not sooner. Something that 2.0 can't do.

Makes me wish more companies would take a page out of Samsung's book and have a separate box that connects to the TV. That way, you only need to pay a couple hundred to upgrade the chip set. Oh well.
DanielPlainv1ew is offline  
post #16 of 18 Old 02-10-2020, 08:12 AM
Member
 
BLMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 26
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1581346800

So only the 900H will have “full” 2.1 support.

Last edited by BLMN; 02-10-2020 at 08:15 AM.
BLMN is offline  
post #17 of 18 Old 02-10-2020, 08:29 AM
Member
 
magic_carpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLMN View Post
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1581346800

So only the 900H will have “full” 2.1 support.

They say ONE HDMI 2.1 port???
Really Sony?
magic_carpet is offline  
post #18 of 18 Old 02-10-2020, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 202
i really hope its a typo and at least 900H will get 4 (or at least 2 ?) HDMI 2.1 48 gbps ports

but God damn Sony are so incredibly cheap .. much cheaper than LG or even Samsung




although .. i hate to even think it - but for me 1x 4K-120 48 gbps port might be enough .. since only PC (RTX 3080Ti) can do it anyway, PS5 will never do 4K-120
so you hook up GPU to HDMI 2.1, and PS5/XsX - to HDMI 2.0 ...


BUT then they need to at least give VRR (and I mean HDMI-VRR, not Freesync), to the HDMI 2.0 ports .. so that next-gen consoles can use VRR

Last edited by UltimateDisplay; 02-10-2020 at 09:24 AM.
UltimateDisplay is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off