Sony Z9G Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 70Likes

post #31 of 302 Old 02-23-2020, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeisenbergABQ View Post
I recently bought a 75" Z9F that is being returned due to a boatload of dead pixels. I like the Z9F overall, but my biggest complaint far and away with that TV is the terrible blooming into the cinemascope bars, especially in HDR. Does the Z9G handle blooming, especially black bar blooming, better than the Z9F? The thought of watching Mad max fury road at nearly 4k nits gets me excited, but not if the bars turn dirty chalk board grey like my Z9F does. Anyone here have experience with both of these TV's?
I have experience a week with z9g and have owned z9d for 2.5 years. it seems like to me the z9d absolutely has better brightness and dark control. it's just more fine tuned. It's hard to describe.

Sony XBR-75Z9D
Klipsch Original RF-7s LCR & Surrounds, RS-7 Ceiling Atmos YES!! [/SIZE])
SVS PB13 Ultra
Samsung UBD-K8500 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Denon AVR-X3300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 302 Old 02-24-2020, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by django_jc View Post
Hi all –

New to the forum… I’m considering purchase of an 85Z9G after seeing it at Value Electronics last month.

My last panel was a 1080p Pioneer Kuro. Technology has changed massively. In the past, I routed all my inputs into the AV receiver and ran an HDMI cable to the panel.

With the processing power on the Z9G, would it now make more sense to route Ethernet, cable and Ultra Blu-Ray directly to the Z9G? If I purchase an eARC capable A/V receiver and understand what I read, the Z9G could feed the receiver audio over eARC HDMI.

Are there any flaws to a configuration like that?

Best,
Scott

Only thing that comes to my mind is the fact that Z9G has only one 8K input, so if you buy new AVR with several 8K inputs(what is my plan) you could connect in future several 8K devices through AVR
LG4k likes this.

TV Sony 85-ZG9
TV Sony 65-ZD9
TV Sony 55-930D
A/V receiver Onkyo TX-NR636 (5.1 Speaker setup)
PS4 PRO
post #33 of 302 Old 02-24-2020, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

I have really started to enjoy the TV (stopped critically wathcing inch by inch of the screen and started to enjoy the content itself)
I'm really enjoying the sky shots, and pans… And clouds, they look very real, with lots of details, even in SDR. Maybe this is because of the size, clouds are bigger so I can see them more clearly, with more details - but maybe is cause of the imense nits G can output (so no clipping) - whatever it is it's really joy to watch

TV Sony 85-ZG9
TV Sony 65-ZD9
TV Sony 55-930D
PS4 PRO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 302 Old 02-24-2020, 03:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked: 1670
Quote:
Originally Posted by derreckla View Post
I have experience a week with z9g and have owned z9d for 2.5 years. it seems like to me the z9d absolutely has better brightness and dark control. it's just more fine tuned. It's hard to describe.
How is that, with the G hitting 4000 nits? The D doesn't come close to that number...
LG4k likes this.

Samsung 82Q800T, LG 77C8, Sony 75x940E, LG 65B7, LG 65EF9500, TCL 65 8 Series, LG 55E6, 2 TCL 49S515's
2 Apple 4K TVs, Nvidia Shield, 2 LG UP970's, 2 Samsung UBD-K8500s

WD 16TB NAS, WD 8TB NAS
post #35 of 302 Old 02-24-2020, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post
How is that, with the G hitting 4000 nits? The D doesn't come close to that number...
To be honest, I had the tv for like 5 days watched a couple movies and such on it and I couldn't tell the difference. The only time it was noticeable was when I was watching snow fall in a movie and it seemed more "immersive" other then that I couldn't tell a difference. but as far as how the picture looked dif or brighter, couldn't tell....
Gillietalls likes this.

Sony XBR-75Z9D
Klipsch Original RF-7s LCR & Surrounds, RS-7 Ceiling Atmos YES!! [/SIZE])
SVS PB13 Ultra
Samsung UBD-K8500 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Denon AVR-X3300
post #36 of 302 Old 02-24-2020, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 46
post #37 of 302 Old 02-24-2020, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Any idea how the dse/uniformity is on these sets wouldn’t be fun to pack this up and return it
post #38 of 302 Old 02-24-2020, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeisenbergABQ View Post
I like the Z9F overall, but my biggest complaint far and away with that TV is the terrible blooming into the cinemascope bars, especially in HDR.
Why Sony doesn't implements diodes in such array that it can be turned off completely in place where movie letterbox bars are? Samsung does the trick in Q9FN/Q90R. It would solve the problem
post #39 of 302 Old 02-25-2020, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavymetalhead55 View Post
Any idea how the dse/uniformity is on these sets wouldn’t be fun to pack this up and return it

Very good to great
I'm particulary sensitive to this - my D had, atleast for me, visible DSE (visible on sports paning shots)
This was the first thing I checked on G and there is almost none of DSE
Uniformity is great (confirmed by my calibrator aswell)

Also design of the box and styrofoam is such that I do not think reboxing it will be any problem
RobKnapp likes this.

TV Sony 85-ZG9
TV Sony 65-ZD9
TV Sony 55-930D
PS4 PRO
post #40 of 302 Old 02-25-2020, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5751 Post(s)
Liked: 3846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimon.Zorg View Post
Why Sony doesn't implements diodes in such array that it can be turned off completely in place where movie letterbox bars are? Samsung does the trick in Q9FN/Q90R. It would solve the problem
Because it affects the picture adjacent to the cinema bars and the Local Dimming is too aggressive on the Q90R so you lose picture in near black scenes.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2018 Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #41 of 302 Old 02-25-2020, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Because it affects the picture adjacent to the cinema bars and the Local Dimming is too aggressive on the Q90R so you lose picture in near black scenes.
I think you don't understand me. Blocks of diodes are assambled in such way that they are completely turned off in areas where cinema bars are.
post #42 of 302 Old 02-25-2020, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCro View Post
Very good to great
I'm particulary sensitive to this - my D had, atleast for me, visible DSE (visible on sports paning shots)
This was the first thing I checked on G and there is almost none of DSE
Uniformity is great (confirmed by my calibrator aswell)

Also design of the box and styrofoam is such that I do not think reboxing it will be any problem
That's great to hear I'm honestly less worried about black bars then the amount of dse had 3 different zd9s all had terrible uniformity with great blacks but it wasn't worth this at this size a clean screen would be a blessing
post #43 of 302 Old 02-25-2020, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimon.Zorg View Post
I think you don't understand me. Blocks of diodes are assambled in such way that they are completely turned off in areas where cinema bars are.
The way the zones light up is that they effect adjacent areas per Sony... That's what they told me when I spoke with a few engineers at last year's shootout. That's why they don't fully disable the cinemascope bars. They want the tv to match the mastering monitor as close as possible. The cinema bars are better when the movie or show has a ratio of 2.39:1. The majority of the issues are with some content has a ratio 1.85:1. These cause the most issues today because current local dimming TVs don't line up well with that ratio.

Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #44 of 302 Old 03-03-2020, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
The way the zones light up is that they effect adjacent areas per Sony... That's what they told me when I spoke with a few engineers at last year's shootout. That's why they don't fully disable the cinemascope bars. They want the tv to match the mastering monitor as close as possible. The cinema bars are better when the movie or show has a ratio of 2.39:1. The majority of the issues are with some content has a ratio 1.85:1. These cause the most issues today because current local dimming TVs don't line up well with that ratio.

I did read some time ago post where some guy has created custom Black blinds in exact dimensions as Black bars on his TV are - and he put them on his TV when watching movies with Black bars - that eliminated blooming entirelly - true story
shoman94 likes this.

TV Sony 85-ZG9
TV Sony 65-ZD9
TV Sony 55-930D
PS4 PRO
post #45 of 302 Old 03-03-2020, 04:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I did read some time ago post where some guy has created custom Black blinds in exact dimensions as Black bars on his TV are - and he put them on his TV when watching movies with Black bars - that eliminated blooming entirelly - true story
HaHaHa! Who wants to go through all that trouble???

Samsung 82Q800T, LG 77C8, Sony 75x940E, LG 65B7, LG 65EF9500, TCL 65 8 Series, LG 55E6, 2 TCL 49S515's

WD 16TB NAS, WD 8TB NAS
post #46 of 302 Old 03-03-2020, 05:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Whoever made these must be a crazy OLED lover.

post #47 of 302 Old 03-07-2020, 11:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Has anyone wall mounted this set yet? After reading many reviews it has been mentioned the Samsung maybe better if wall mounted due to the Sony being nearly 6” thick.
Does anyone who has bought the set regret it at all?
I’m very interested just trying to decide if it’s worth the money over a 82” Q90r. Will be watching lots and lots of sports, tv shows, Netflix and movies.
post #48 of 302 Old 03-09-2020, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxsledder View Post
Has anyone wall mounted this set yet? After reading many reviews it has been mentioned the Samsung maybe better if wall mounted due to the Sony being nearly 6” thick.
I’m very interested just trying to decide if it’s worth the money over a 82” Q90r. Will be watching lots and lots of sports, tv shows, Netflix and movies.

I have mounted it and it looks very good. I like this additional debth cause the TV is very sturdy, no flexing, it looks like a beast - no fear that something will get bent. And with TV this size that sentiment is well appreciated
And if you will be watching a little bit of everything I think this TV is great choice
Is it worth the money over 82” Q90r - do not know as I didn't see Samsung in action - but as you now, when on this level, a preety small difference costs a lot - so having only 8K as a difference should cost a lot
Having said that - I would probably buy this TV even if it wasn't 8K (not at this price though)
The prospect of pairing this TV with PS5 just fills my heart with joy
I can just say that I didn't regret my purchase (leaving my belowed Z9D in bedroom) and can recommend Z9G to everyone

TV Sony 85-ZG9
TV Sony 65-ZD9
TV Sony 55-930D
PS4 PRO
post #49 of 302 Old 03-09-2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I’️m very interested just trying to decide if it’️s worth the money over a 82” Q90r. Will be watching lots and lots of sports, tv shows, Netflix and movies.

I have mounted it and it looks very good. I like this additional debth cause the TV is very sturdy, no flexing, it looks like a beast - no fear that something will get bent. And with TV this size that sentiment is well appreciated [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
And if you will be watching a little bit of everything I think this TV is great choice
Is it worth the money over 82” Q90r - do not know as I didn't see Samsung in action - but as you now, when on this level, a preety small difference costs a lot - so having only 8K as a difference should cost a lot
Having said that - I would probably buy this TV even if it wasn't 8K (not at this price though)
The prospect of pairing this TV with PS5 just fills my heart with joy [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
I can just say that I didn't regret my purchase (leaving my belowed Z9D in bedroom) and can recommend Z9G to everyone
Thank you for the great informative post. How has the motion been on yours especially with sports? I’ve heard the chip and motion is similar to the 950G which is getting mixed reviews and after seeing a 85” today playing sports center I did not like the motion at all compared to my 940D I just sold. I just want to make sure the Z9g is better than the 950G regarding motion.
post #50 of 302 Old 03-10-2020, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thank you for the great informative post. How has the motion been on yours especially with sports? I’ve heard the chip and motion is similar to the 950G which is getting mixed reviews and after seeing a 85” today playing sports center I did not like the motion at all compared to my 940D I just sold. I just want to make sure the Z9g is better than the 950G regarding motion.

Motion vise:
Z9G is better than Z9D in some scenes, overal I would say Z9G >= Z9D
A friend of mine has 950G and motion is very good for what I've seen on it (it's only 55" though)

What I've noticed about motion in general - there are some sources where motion is different - so I have to configure clearness/smoothness - but in the end motion is very good and to my likeings on every source I throw to my G

Another point - I was looking my G in store(some cable as a source, or even OTA) and everything was bad, picture, scaling, motion - TV looked like crap. But I have experience with that so I didn' mind, I took it home for evaluation - and of course picture from the same cable/OTA source looked completely different. I've allready experienced this type of behaviour several times so I wasn't surprised. I'm trying to say that you shouldn't judge TV performance from looking in store with source that is shared on multiple TV's, cause input signal quality/strenght is preety bad yielding bad overal PQ

So I think motion, even on 950G should be good at your home (certainly better than 940D). I like to rock on clearness 1/2, it makes motion to my likeings, and Z9G has plenty of brightness to compensate - 950G not so sure. I see this as the biggest improvment in motion between Z9G and Z950G.
Other note on motion/sports, when watching footbal, grass on panning seems more sharp, real on Z9G than on Z950G - it's like processor does a better job on Z9G (although they are the same).
Watching tennis, hockey, nba, motosport - everything is a little better on G than on D - so very good. I haven't heard my friend complaine about motion on his 950G neither though and he watches a lot of sports throw cable mostly

Z950G is great TV, but Z9G is better in every way - so if you can afford it - I recomend you to buy it.

TV Sony 85-ZG9
TV Sony 65-ZD9
TV Sony 55-930D
PS4 PRO

Last edited by TomCro; 03-10-2020 at 03:17 AM.
post #51 of 302 Old 03-11-2020, 09:47 PM

I just might buy one. I sure do wish someone had one in stock to look at it as none of my retailers have one.
post #52 of 302 Old 03-12-2020, 03:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just might buy one. I sure do wish someone had one in stock to look at it as none of my retailers have one.
I would love to as well. But the mere fact it doesn't have the AV1 codec to stream 8K content from YouTube gives me pause. Especially when YouTube is going to be the only 8K source for the foreseeable future....

WD 16TB NAS, WD 8TB NAS
post #53 of 302 Old 03-12-2020, 03:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It was problem for me aswell - I waited 6months until one of the retailers in my country had one...
Because it is so expensive there are not too many of them floating around stores - they can only be ordered (at least in my region)
And looking at it in a store is not very usefull
I guess Sony should do some kind of road show - showing the TV in different cities to prospective buyers in dimmed room with all of the sources available represented - maybe even some 8K footage which I haven't been able to see yet, and maybe with panel to panel comparations with other TVs - > that whould probably increase their sales…
Watched LIV-ATM last night and it was a sight to behold
I can just regret I'm not in Japan (where Olympic games will be broadcasted in 8K)

TV Sony 85-ZG9
TV Sony 65-ZD9
TV Sony 55-930D
PS4 PRO
post #54 of 302 Old 03-12-2020, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I would love to as well. But the mere fact it doesn't have the AV1 codec to stream 8K content from YouTube gives me pause. Especially when YouTube is going to be the only 8K source for the foreseeable future....

I was thinking on that also before buying - but I will be purchaseing PS5 anyway - and I'm thinking it will have all the codecs so I could use it for everything 8k related (games, streaming, USB/HDD playing...)

TV Sony 85-ZG9
TV Sony 65-ZD9
TV Sony 55-930D
PS4 PRO
post #55 of 302 Old 03-12-2020, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was thinking on that also before buying - but I will be purchaseing PS5 anyway - and I'm thinking it will have all the codecs so I could use it for everything 8k related (games, streaming, USB/HDD playing...)
Have you seen any rumors or reports or is it just a guess / personal wish list for AV1 in the PS5?

WD 16TB NAS, WD 8TB NAS
post #56 of 302 Old 03-16-2020, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Have you seen any rumors or reports or is it just a guess / personal wish list for AV1 in the PS5?

just a guess… that sony is starting to get on my nervs with not publishing any official PS5 specs…
as wise man said - it's only logical

TV Sony 85-ZG9
TV Sony 65-ZD9
TV Sony 55-930D
PS4 PRO
post #57 of 302 Old 03-20-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:
It was problem for me aswell - I waited 6months until one of the retailers in my country had one...
Because it is so expensive there are not too many of them floating around stores - they can only be ordered (at least in my region)
And looking at it in a store is not very usefull
I guess Sony should do some kind of road show - showing the TV in different cities to prospective buyers in dimmed room with all of the sources available represented - maybe even some 8K footage which I haven't been able to see yet, and maybe with panel to panel comparations with other TVs - > that whould probably increase their sales…
Watched LIV-ATM last night and it was a sight to behold [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
I can just regret I'm not in Japan (where Olympic games will be broadcasted in 8K)
That would be great for consumers! Well it looks like I may have found a offer I can’t refuse on a Z9g and just might pull the trigger early next week. I was going to wait for q950TS but it’s going to be a long time before price drops to we’re the Z9g is now.
post #58 of 302 Old 03-23-2020, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Glad to hear that, I'm sure you will be happy with Z9G, hope to hear good news from you soon
post #59 of 302 Old 03-23-2020, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
2 weeks into both my Z9G and the zombie apocalypse of being stuck at home and all I can say is that I am loving the TV. Fabulous picture. I am using a McIntosh MX170 as a processor and the result is amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #60 of 302 Old 03-23-2020, 07:51 PM

I just placed my order and am very excited for this tv. How does it do with cable and satellite content? That’s my primary viewing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page