Can Transporting TV Flat Degrade Picture Quality? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By Cleveland Plasma
  • 1 Post By VA_DaveB
  • 1 Post By pilotart
  • 1 Post By Cleveland Plasma
  • 1 Post By augiedoggy

post #1 of 11 Old 02-10-2020, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can Transporting TV Flat Degrade Picture Quality?

I just got the tracking information for my TV and they are using a shipping company known for being awful. I know TVs are supposed to be transported upright but chances are this company won't care in the slightest and will transport it laying down. So I'm wondering ... is the recommendation to transport TVs upright only so they don't crack or could it damage a TV in other ways that would make it usable but degrade the picture quality or uniformity. I'm really sensitive to black uniformity and the dirty screen effect and want to avoid anything that would make these worse.

In case it matters this is for a Samsung LED TV, not plasma and not OLED or QLED.

Thanks,
Harry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-11-2020, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked: 7190
The TV in most fragile being flat, as far as damage, however no matter what way it is shipped, if the TV is OK, its OK
ddcook10 likes this.

Last edited by Cleveland Plasma; 02-13-2020 at 09:21 AM.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-11-2020, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Muscle View Post
I just got the tracking information for my TV and they are using a shipping company known for being awful. I know TVs are supposed to be transported upright but chances are this company won't care in the slightest and will transport it laying down. So I'm wondering ... is the recommendation to transport TVs upright only so they don't crack or could it damage a TV in other ways that would make it usable but degrade the picture quality or uniformity. I'm really sensitive to black uniformity and the dirty screen effect and want to avoid anything that would make these worse.

In case it matters this is for a Samsung LED TV, not plasma and not OLED or QLED.

Thanks,
Harry

When I got a 65" from Best Buy they said if I took it home flat in my car, they wouldn't allow me to return it if it didn't work.
I would say ship it upright, but how are you going to insure that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 02-11-2020, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 17
TVs are transported upright because weight against the screen can pretty easily cause damage. They're basically layers of fragile glass, led light panels, wiring, and electronics which would never be stored in a flat-stacked fashion. From a shipper's perspective, upright storage can be a bit of a pita. Also when you look at the hand-holds on the boxes, they're all built for vertical handling.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-11-2020, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1580 Post(s)
Liked: 792
I transported both of my current Samsung LCDs to my home laying flat in the back of my Jeep Cherokee. The 65" came from my Microcenter store which is about 15 miles mostly on I66, the 55" came from Fed Ex around 10 miles away. No problems at all with either of them. It is perfectly safe to do that if you're just driving it to your home over paved roads. Shippers need to transport them vertically due to the poor suspensions on many trucks coupled with the longer travel time, and the likelihood some idiot might stack something on top if it were laying flat.
lucacow likes this.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-12-2020, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 552
post #7 of 11 Old 02-13-2020, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked: 7190
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
Mine was steel strapped (in correct orientation) upon a wooden pallet (2'/6') with protective 'L' brackets on box-top and in addition had a 'shock' recording medallion attached to the box.
Art
Yep many TV's start out that way and the shipper sometimes removed the skid
pilotart likes this.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-13-2020, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 167
My local Best Buy stacks TVs flat on their showroom shelves and I've seen their employees help load large TVs into customers' cars by laying them flat. So, I guess rules vary by store and my local store doesn't seem too concerned.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-14-2020, 05:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked: 387
The panel is already flat, so it should be okay.

Greg Lee
post #10 of 11 Old 02-14-2020, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfid View Post
When I got a 65" from Best Buy they said if I took it home flat in my car, they wouldn't allow me to return it if it didn't work.
I would say ship it upright, but how are you going to insure that?
Same here this past November when I picked up my 75 inch tv. I got creative in terms of having it stand upright for the car ride home on my 2001 Kia Sportage. I should have taken a picture. They did fairly aggressively try to dissuade me from taking it home on my own.

On the other hand I have taken home a 65 inch and a 55 inch strapped flat to the top of the same vehicle and had no problems.

No problems with any of them.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-15-2020, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
there are standoffs in some of the cheaper non edgelite and older ccfl flat screens that can possible not handle the weight of the lcd panel when being jostled for long periods and can leave marks under that weight which could possible result in little marks left in a solid white image where the light is reflecting from these marks in the plastic deflector panel but its very unlikely. I used to repair tvs and never though twice about storing them on their back as long as nothing was on top of them.
ES_Revenge likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page