How Do You Use Your TV? Apps, IoT, Voice? Take The Study, Enter to Win a $500 Amazon - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #1 of 66 Old 02-11-2020, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 465 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9387 Post(s)
Liked: 16637
How Do You Use Your TV? Apps, IoT, Voice? Take The Study, Enter to Win a $500 Amazon

Smart TVs and streaming are now the norm and the result is a shift away from the tradition “channel flipping” that used to define TV watching. In this study, we’re looking for insights into how you use your TV. Questions in the study range from what apps you stream with to what device(s) you use to stream. It also covers whether IoT is part of your TV experience and how voice commands are used when it comes to controlling a Smart TV.

Completing the survey enters you in a giveaway, with a chance to win one of three $500 Amazon gift cards. To take the survey and enter the giveaway, click here.

To find out more about the rules and regulations governing this giveaway, click here.
RobKnapp and its phillip like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 02-11-2020, 10:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked: 616
Great, another contest put on by a Canadian company that is only available for Americans...

How about offering contests that all members of this site can enter?

Home Theatre: Marantz SR6014 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S | Nintendo Switch

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 L/R
post #3 of 66 Old 02-12-2020, 06:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Flaw in Survey

Question 10 "Please select the brand of your soundbar or AV receiver..." is a mandatory question but has only a short list of selections to choose from. There is an input box for "other" but "other is not an option you can select. If your brand is not in the list the only way to proceed past this question in the survey is to deliberately answer incorrectly...

bad survey...
BAD SURVEY!!

Edit: Mark - (@imagic) ... is this something that can be fixed or should I/We just fudge the answer to Q10?
leftovers likes this.

"You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means."

-Steve-

TCL 55R617, Denon AVR-X2400H, Philips BDP-7502, Onkyo DX-C390, (2) HEOS 3HS2's,
Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble (FR/FL), MC150 (C), S100 (SR/SL), KLH E-12DB (SW)

Last edited by smdelaney; 02-12-2020 at 06:21 AM. Reason: update and fix typos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 66 Old 02-12-2020, 06:45 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Mentioned: 438 Post(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked: 1334
It's not necessarily question 10 for everyone. It's customized based on your other answers so those not using a soundbar will never even see that question.

That said, let me see if I can either get that question addressed or get some instruction on how you should fill it out. Thanks for the heads up.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Always post about products, never post about other members.
Join the AVS Forum Club and help support the site.
AVS Forum is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with AV Science Inc.
post #5 of 66 Old 02-12-2020, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdelaney View Post
Question 10 "Please select the brand of your soundbar or AV receiver..." is a mandatory question but has only a short list of selections to choose from. There is an input box for "other" but "other is not an option you can select. If your brand is not in the list the only way to proceed past this question in the survey is to deliberately answer incorrectly...

bad survey...
BAD SURVEY!!

Edit: Mark - (@imagic) ... is this something that can be fixed or should I/We just fudge the answer to Q10?
I had the same issue. I just selected my speaker brand and also entered the brand of my AV receiver. I own both a Klipsch soundbar and Klipsch speakers attached to my AV receiver, so all of how I responded is true.
post #6 of 66 Old 02-12-2020, 09:04 AM
Administrator
Administrator

You should now be able to select "other" at the bottom of the list in the 1st field and also type in the brand below it.

Thanks
A.T.M. likes this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
post #7 of 66 Old 02-12-2020, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Statz View Post
Great, another contest put on by a Canadian company that is only available for Americans...

I will address this complaint here and hope the nonsense ends for all giveaways going forward. We often have to choose US only for a number of reasons:
1) shipping, if the prize is coming from a US sponsor then cross border shipping becomes cost prohibitive
2) shipping part 2, US based products often have slight differences than Canada based or Europe based products so this can cause potential warranty and usage issues
3) data collection, although anonymous and aggregated we wish to avoid conflict with CASL and GDPR legislation
4) data collection part 2, this is also arising in the US via California and we are keeping a close eye
Jay Mammoth likes this.

AVSForum Marketing Solutions - Display, Video, Native, Social CRM, Content, Research and Insights
m. 416-578-0769
e. [email protected]
post #8 of 66 Old 02-12-2020, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzdog View Post
I will address this complaint here and hope the nonsense ends for all giveaways going forward. We often have to choose US only for a number of reasons:
1) shipping, if the prize is coming from a US sponsor then cross border shipping becomes cost prohibitive
2) shipping part 2, US based products often have slight differences than Canada based or Europe based products so this can cause potential warranty and usage issues
3) data collection, although anonymous and aggregated we wish to avoid conflict with CASL and GDPR legislation
4) data collection part 2, this is also arising in the US via California and we are keeping a close eye
The prize is a gift card. There's no prize that requires shipping in this case. And the sponsor behind this offer is Canadian.

Here's a better solution: Offer contests that everyone who visits this site can enter, especially if the sponsor is *Canadian*. I have entered contests for gift cards on other sites that are actually based in the US that don't have any problem issuing a gift card to non-US site members.

Home Theatre: Marantz SR6014 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S | Nintendo Switch

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 L/R
post #9 of 66 Old 02-12-2020, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 28
You guys want Canadians to visit this site, then how about some Canadian contests??
BillyBarcode` likes this.
post #10 of 66 Old 02-12-2020, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by digmor crusher View Post
You guys want Canadians to visit this site, then how about some Canadian contests??
Until we corporately get a legal go ahead of CASL consent compliance for giveaways on AVSForum then you will continue to see US-based winner selections.

https://fightspam.gc.ca/eic/site/030.nsf/eng/00008.html

Talk you your MP, I guess.

AVSForum Marketing Solutions - Display, Video, Native, Social CRM, Content, Research and Insights
m. 416-578-0769
e. [email protected]
post #11 of 66 Old 02-12-2020, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Smart TVs and streaming are now the norm and the result is a shift away from the tradition “channel flipping” that used to define TV watching. In this study, we’re looking for insights into how you use your TV. Questions in the study range from what apps you stream with to what device(s) you use to stream. It also covers whether IoT is part of your TV experience and how voice commands are used when it comes to controlling a Smart TV.

Completing the survey enters you in a giveaway, with a chance to win one of three $500 Amazon gift cards. To take the survey and enter the giveaway, click here.

To find out more about the rules and regulations governing this giveaway, click here.
The survey is broken:
  1. When I selected Samsung for the TV, it didn't list my model (which is current).
  2. So, since I have six TVs, I selected another brand I have: Sharp, & got a list to select from SONY models!
  3. Same thing happened with a third brand.
  4. Finally, I selected Vizio (the smallest TV I have), & the survey continued without asking for the Vizio model. Whew!

Regarding whining about country of participation, I note that almost all "giveaway" surveys are intended to gain knowledge about a particular regional market, usually the one the survey maker sells to. Opinions (which many times are regional) from other regions are often just not useful. It's like why surveys about who people will vote for in the US election, are usually limited to people who live in the USA & are old enough to vote.

Please don't confuse the Sony "Invalid disc" message with the "Unknown disc" message. They are not the same thing.

Last edited by DeanGibson; 02-13-2020 at 10:36 AM.
post #12 of 66 Old 02-12-2020, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Followed the link here and completed the survey but did not get any way to enter the drawing. Was dumped onto a page with an ad for the survey and drawing, but when I clicked on it, I was simply told that I had already taken the survey.

Phil
True 4K/HDR10/3D JVC DLA-RS1000 (NX5) projector, 7.2.4 Paradigm/Boston Acoustics/Onkyo speakers, fed by Yamaha RX-A3070 w/ Denon 2307CI to power 4 overheads. Sources: Oppo UDP-203, 4K Roku Ultra, Dell Win 10 PC via HDMI for Amazon Music HD and sampled grand piano.
My water-themed landscape photography website - only 24 pix up so far.
post #13 of 66 Old 02-12-2020, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzdog View Post
Until we corporately get a legal go ahead of CASL consent compliance for giveaways on AVSForum then you will continue to see US-based winner selections.

https://fightspam.gc.ca/eic/site/030.nsf/eng/00008.html

Talk you your MP, I guess.
That doesn't apply. CASL consent compliance is intended to prevent unwanted SPAM from being sent to people.

You're asking people to participate in this contest/survey, so consent is automatically given by anyone willing to fill it out.

Nice try? It's time for these Canadian-based site offering contests from Canadian sponsors to stop alienating Canadian members.
Mr.6 likes this.

Last edited by Ryan Statz; 02-12-2020 at 09:40 PM.
post #14 of 66 Old 02-12-2020, 11:51 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Entered. Good luck everyone, well almost everyone.

Hopefully there will still be contests to enter after all the complaining.
you guys have legalization you dont need contests too.

\m/ Strength Determination Merciless Forever \m/
Yamaha RX-V3800
Klipsch Legend series speakers (5) & Klipsch Dual THX Ultra II Subwoofers w/ ext Klipsch Subwoofer Amp
HISENSE 55H9F / Custom Built CaseLabs watercooled PC
post #15 of 66 Old 02-13-2020, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Statz View Post

Hey Ryan, your initial post made it to the top of the weekly AVS Forum newsletter and was seen by many thousands. I'd say you accomplished what you set out to do, and that the discussion here can move on from that specific point.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #16 of 66 Old 02-13-2020, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGibson View Post
The survey is broken:
  1. When I selected Samsung for the TV, it didn't list my model (which is current).
  2. So, since I have six TVs, I selected another brand I have: Sharp, & got a list to select from SONY models!
  3. Same thing happened with a third brand.
  4. Finally, I selected Vizio (the smallest TV I have), & the survey continued without asking for the Vizio model. Whew!
I reported this, but I was unable to replicate the issue and the same for the person I reported it to. Glad you were able to complete it.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #17 of 66 Old 02-13-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post
You should now be able to select "other" at the bottom of the list in the 1st field and also type in the brand below it.

Thanks
Thank you, Mike...I went back in and was able to complete the survey.

Good luck to all (especially to my friends to the North in hopes that you will be able to participate in these contests someday soon).
imagic and Ryan Statz like this.

-Steve-

post #18 of 66 Old 02-13-2020, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 248 Post(s)
Quoted: 4132 Post(s)
Liked: 3278
How about a new survey ?

A survey as to the % of AVS Members that live in which country ?
This should also give those who want to throw contests our way, where the ad $s should be spent.
All fine if 98% of Members are from the USA, but what if this # is far lower ?

As to this being a gift certificate that can be sent by mail, or e-mail, why are not ALL the USA States included ? A concerned Canadian.

UN65KS9800 - Mine
QN49Q70R / UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 (JS9000 Mod Mode) / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U (JS9000 Mod Mode) / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
post #19 of 66 Old 02-14-2020, 01:25 PM

Will it hurt my chances of winning if I gloat about how great it is to live in America?

Asking for a friend...
post #20 of 66 Old 02-14-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_a_noob View Post
Will it hurt my chances of winning if I gloat about how great it is to live in America?

Asking for a friend...
?

But when I did the survey, it asked which country (out of 5) I lived in. Does this mean the rules have changed ?

UN65KS9800 - Mine
QN49Q70R / UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 (JS9000 Mod Mode) / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U (JS9000 Mod Mode) / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
post #21 of 66 Old 02-14-2020, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
?

But when I did the survey, it asked which country (out of 5) I lived in. Does this mean the rules have changed ?
America was there. That's all I noticed. Because I'm a rude American.
post #22 of 66 Old 02-15-2020, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 31
"Sponsor has the irrevocable right to use in perpetuity entrants' names, user names, likenesses, photographs, voices, home mailing address, biographical and prize information, and entry materials, without notice to entrants and without compensation or obligation, in any and all media now or hereafter known throughout the world, in any manner whatsoever, to advertise and promote Sponsor, its products and services, the Sweepstakes, and for any other purpose except where prohibited by law."

Translated: We can use every last bit of information about you, including where you live, pictures of you, your voice, your personal biographical information, forever, for any purpose without notice.
It doesn't even limit it to information collected through the survey. By entering this contest you are giving them the right to trawl the internet for all of your personal information and use all of it for whatever they want forever without compensation.

That is absolutely insane. No thank you.
KC-Technerd likes this.

Last edited by mart541; 02-15-2020 at 09:40 AM.
post #23 of 66 Old 02-15-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart541 View Post
"Sponsor has the irrevocable right to use in perpetuity entrants' names, user names, likenesses, photographs, voices, home mailing address, biographical and prize information, and entry materials, without notice to entrants and without compensation or obligation, in any and all media now or hereafter known throughout the world, in any manner whatsoever, to advertise and promote Sponsor, its products and services, the Sweepstakes, and for any other purpose except where prohibited by law."

Translated: We can use every last bit of information about you, including where you live, pictures of you, your voice, your personal biographical information, forever, for any purpose without notice.
It doesn't even limit it to information collected through the survey. By entering this contest you are giving them the right to trawl the internet for all of your personal information and use all of it for whatever they want forever without compensation.

That is absolutely insane. No thank you.
Trolling for my info, and reading it, will be sure to put them to sleep! Picture, what picture, they didn't request a picture ?

UN65KS9800 - Mine
post #24 of 66 Old 02-15-2020, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Exactly. They can get your picture from somewhere else and stick it on the front page, or sell it along with the rest of your personally identifying information.
post #25 of 66 Old 02-16-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
Trolling for my info, and reading it, will be sure to put them to sleep! Picture, what picture, they didn't request a picture ?
Yeah...I'm sure they'll all be fighting to use my avatar in their promos...
Blitzdog likes this.

-Steve-

post #26 of 66 Old 02-17-2020, 11:01 AM
Administrator
Administrator

You guys crack me up.

post #27 of 66 Old 02-17-2020, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Any answer to how I enter that drawing? I posted above that I used the link in this thread to take the survey but was given no chance to enter the drawing - it just dumped me out at the end onto the home page here, with the link to do this - which told me, when I clicked on it, that I had already taken the survey.

Phil
True 4K/HDR10/3D JVC DLA-RS1000 (NX5) projector, 7.2.4 Paradigm/Boston Acoustics/Onkyo speakers, fed by Yamaha RX-A3070 w/ Denon 2307CI to power 4 overheads. Sources: Oppo UDP-203, 4K Roku Ultra, Dell Win 10 PC via HDMI for Amazon Music HD and sampled grand piano.
My water-themed landscape photography website - only 24 pix up so far.
post #28 of 66 Old 02-18-2020, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
Any answer to how I enter that drawing? I posted above that I used the link in this thread to take the survey but was given no chance to enter the drawing - it just dumped me out at the end onto the home page here, with the link to do this - which told me, when I clicked on it, that I had already taken the survey.
I noticed that, Too.
USUALLY there is a separate entry form, but I just assumed (go ahead and say it...) that the survey itself is the entry and that they can pull the results for all respondents ... or at least us lucky Americans... to select a winner.

I kind of prefer the absence of a 2nd form...here's hoping that AVSForum is managing the contest this way and that it's not just another problem with the survey.

-Steve-

Last edited by smdelaney; 02-18-2020 at 04:54 AM. Reason: typos
post #29 of 66 Old 02-18-2020, 06:26 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
Any answer to how I enter that drawing? I posted above that I used the link in this thread to take the survey but was given no chance to enter the drawing
You said you completed the survey which means you entered.

post #30 of 66 Old 02-18-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdelaney View Post
I noticed that, Too.
USUALLY there is a separate entry form, but I just assumed (go ahead and say it...) that the survey itself is the entry and that they can pull the results for all respondents ... or at least us lucky Americans... to select a winner.

I kind of prefer the absence of a 2nd form...here's hoping that AVSForum is managing the contest this way and that it's not just another problem with the survey.
Not ALL Americans are lucky - remember only good in 48 States !

UN65KS9800 - Mine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
how do you use your tv , iot , remote control , survey

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page