Q90R Worth Price Difference Over Q80R? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-14-2020, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Q90R Worth Price Difference Over Q80R?

Been debating between these two TV's and possibly a B9. Is the Q90 worth the extra almost $1,000 over the Q80? From what I've seen online they are about the same except a little faster response time and more local dimming zones. Is their some other difference I'm missing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-14-2020, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pzyko View Post
Been debating between these two TV's and possibly a B9. Is the Q90 worth the extra almost $1,000 over the Q80? From what I've seen online they are about the same except a little faster response time and more local dimming zones. Is their some other difference I'm missing?

The Q90 has the One Connect system, more precise local dimming, and higher lumen output. Otherwise they are very similar.

82Q90R / Denon X6400H / Polk Audio LSI 7.1.4 / Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BluRay / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch / Custom Gaming PC / Custom VR PC / HTC Vive Pro HMD (Wireless)
post #3 of 12 Old 02-14-2020, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I was literally just in the same boat. The price difference between the two for me was about $800 after all taxes, but I just couldn't bring myself to pay that much more for such a little difference in picture quality. The one connect box is nice, but not needed in my scenario. As for the many extra local dimming zones, I looked at both TV's many times in person and could not tell a difference with dark scene performance. Not sure if it's true, but I read that when you get that many zones the processor can't effectively control them all as precisely as it can less zones, thus why the difference in picture quality is negligible. I was also thinking about getting the C9, but again, lot's of extra cost, for just a little extra performance. (FWIW I have a B8 in my bedroom)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-15-2020, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 278
I own the 75 in Q80R. I looked at both at Best Buy for a long time. From what I can see, the only difference in image was the anti-reflection capabilities of the q90. the ceiling lights reflecting off of each screen seem to be really good but the q90 had the edge. Unless my eyes were playing tricks on me, the reflected light looked dinner compared to the q80.

I have a bright family room so reflection was important to me.

But to answer your question, I did not think the q90 was worth the added cost.

-T
post #5 of 12 Old 02-15-2020, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, guys. I wish my local Best Buy had both do I could compare them. Maybe I'll have to look around and see if any other one fairly close does. Seems like the 90 may not be worth the extra money. If I'm going to go that extra may as well spend a little more for an OLED.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-15-2020, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
FYI: The Q80 and 90 have the same anti-reflection properties. Going down to the Q70, it does not.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-15-2020, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 49
If you get some kind of 5 year square trade type extended warranty, then yes, just having the top end versus the top mid, can potentially make a difference if the TV needs to be replaced one day. I know that people who got the Samsung JS 9500 were often swapped with current top of the line without argument versus JS 8500 owners getting even FALDless options as a fair exchange.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-15-2020, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

I do a lot of gaming also so the HDMI 2.1 features of the 90 keep calling my name. Lol. I probably will get an extended warranty, I usually do. It's a big investment so it's worth it.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-15-2020, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
I do a lot of gaming also so the HDMI 2.1 features of the 90 keep calling my name. Lol. I probably will get an extended warranty, I usually do. It's a big investment so it's worth it.
Perhaps I'm mistaken about the B9 but I believe all three of the models that you are considering have ALLM and VRR and low input lag.

82Q90R / Denon X6400H / Polk Audio LSI 7.1.4 / Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BluRay / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch / Custom Gaming PC / Custom VR PC / HTC Vive Pro HMD (Wireless)
post #10 of 12 Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillaz View Post
Quote:
Perhaps I'm mistaken about the B9 but I believe all three of the models that you are considering have ALLM and VRR and low input lag.
Oh, I thought the Q80 did not. I may have gotten it mixed up with the Q70. Was looking at that originally but from what I've seen online it has a lot of blooming. I watch a lot of horror movies do want something that can do good in dark scenes. I love the B9, just wish the 77" wasn't so expensive. I have a 65" Hisense currently so if I'm upgrading I want to go bigger also.
post #11 of 12 Old Yesterday, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
If you go by contrast ratio, the Q70 is better than the Q80, and the Q90 is the best of the 3 by a pretty good margin.
post #12 of 12 Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastacow53 View Post
If you go by contrast ratio, the Q70 is better than the Q80, and the Q90 is the best of the 3 by a pretty good margin.
I was looking at the 70 first but I saw online it has bad blooming with subtitles. I got 4 kids, I need subtitles to understand what's going on. Lol. I know filming it makes it look worse than you'd see in person though. Have to find a store that has them all to compare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page