2020 Sony XBR-X950H owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 455Likes

post #691 of 749 Old 06-29-2020, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
85x950 and harmony remote

Anyone using a harmony remote with this tv? I have the sat box on hdmi1 and set the activity to watch tv and set the input to hdmi1. During the start sequence, it starts the tv, I can see the picture, but then it loads up the crappy home screen everytime. Can’t seem to get rid of the home screen on boot up.

Any ideas?

Edit: never mind figured it out. I modified a Watch Smart Tv activity instead of a standard Watch TV activity. Apparently it adds some step to navigate to the home screen.

Last edited by jimmycrank; 06-29-2020 at 04:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 749 Old 06-29-2020, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can you advise more detail regarding the Harmony remote and your home screen work around.

My TV has been on order for a couple of months... I'm hoping to have it in about 2 weeks and I will be using a Harmony

Thanks
post #693 of 749 Old 06-30-2020, 03:19 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When you get new equipment, delete the old activity for Watch TV first and creative a new one. Don’t try to use the prebuilt Watch Smart Tv, or it will add extra steps the navigate you to the tv app homepage upon startup. Those extra steps don’t appear configurable in the prebuilt sequence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #694 of 749 Old 06-30-2020, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycrank View Post
When you get new equipment, delete the old activity for Watch TV first and creative a new one. Don’t try to use the prebuilt Watch Smart Tv, or it will add extra steps the navigate you to the tv app homepage upon startup. Those extra steps don’t appear configurable in the prebuilt sequence.

I actually didn’t have this issue. I just deleted my existing TV and added the new one as a new device.

Here is a tip, if you want to control the tv via your network and not have to use the IR emitters, you have to change the device name in the settings ON the TV itself, to MATCH what model you choose from the Harmony setup.

I was only able to find the 85 inch model number on the Harmony database. so I renamed my device to XBR-85X950H(if the names don’t exactly match, it won’t find it) and then added the device to the Harmony software. It searched for the the device(it says wireless but it will pick it up even if wired) and found it and added it. I now control it via the network and I don’t have to use the IR emitter.

You can then go back and change the device name to whatever you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #695 of 749 Old 06-30-2020, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked: 7714
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
Forget about the damaged TV, most will pay for it later in life with vision issues.
Never thought of that.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostmiser View Post
In case anyone was thinking about buying the Sony SU-WL855 shallow depth wall mount:
I recently purchased one from BB as an open box. Plus I used my $100 reward that I got for buying the 950h. So relatively inexpensive in the end. It arrived with everything factory sealed so I couldn’t tell it wasn’t brand new.
Installation was easy. The wall plate actually spans 3 studs, which was longer than my old mount. The articulating section that’s mounts to the plate is adjustable left/right to allow precise centering.
The face of the tv is 3 3/4” from the wall. The tv can be pulled out from the wall and articulated left/right to make changing cables etc easy. For my room setup, it was a good purchase.
For an articulating arm that's pretty darn close
post #696 of 749 Old 06-30-2020, 12:52 PM

Thank you both for the harmony remote direction.
post #697 of 749 Old 06-30-2020, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post
I actually didn’t have this issue. I just deleted my existing TV and added the new one as a new device.

Here is a tip, if you want to control the tv via your network and not have to use the IR emitters, you have to change the device name in the settings ON the TV itself, to MATCH what model you choose from the Harmony setup.

I was only able to find the 85 inch model number on the Harmony database. so I renamed my device to XBR-85X950H(if the names don’t exactly match, it won’t find it) and then added the device to the Harmony software. It searched for the the device(it says wireless but it will pick it up even if wired) and found it and added it. I now control it via the network and I don’t have to use the IR emitter.

You can then go back and change the device name to whatever you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The XBR-49X950H is in the database along with the 85.

McIntosh MX121 McIntosh MC7205 Arial Acoustics Model 6 / Model 5 OPPO BDP-103
post #698 of 749 Old 06-30-2020, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The Best Buy near me had the 950H next to the Sony OLED and it’s surprising how well this TV holds up to OLED!
Chuck_IV, galonzo and sshuttari like this.

Ascend Sierra-2 LCR | Ascend HTM-200 Surrounds | Rythmic E15HP | Yamaha RX-A780 | Samsung HU8550
post #699 of 749 Old 06-30-2020, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade. View Post
The Best Buy near me had the 950H next to the Sony OLED and it’s surprising how well this TV holds up to OLED!
Because there's a lot of light in shop.
post #700 of 749 Old 07-01-2020, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Custom for Pro2 should be used for HDR, not Custom for Pro1. My reasoning is I’ve found it’s best to make the scale up of SDR to HDR settings as easy as possible for Sony’s conversion engine. So, the Custom for Pro2 settings are done with brightness maxed out. If you have everything running into one HDMI port of the 950H, you will have to manually switch to Custom for Pro2 when you have a HDR signal active on the 950H. I highly recommend people send SDR to one HDMI and HDR/DoVi to another HDMI to get the best possible image with the settings I’ve provided.
I use Custom for Pro 1 and 2 for BT.1886 and HDR, and use my otherwise unused Custom. with Warm to spit out simple 2.2 power law for news, sports. PC graphics, and cartoons. This way I am set for TV, movies, and HDR with those three "presets".

Paul

Sony X950H SDR and HDR Calibration setting https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post59249362

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibration settings https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
post #701 of 749 Old 07-01-2020, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Called Amazon today and they're going to send me another TV on the 9th so I can see if it's any better. Hopefully I do better in the panel lottery this time!

I gotta say, Amazon's customer service has improved substantially in the last year.
galonzo and sheshechic like this.
post #702 of 749 Old 07-01-2020, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Question for you guys, I've been having an issue with voice sync using HDMI as sound thru my Onkyo receiver. The issue is that when watching cable the voice sync will be nearly perfect and as I'm watching the show after a while it will slowly get worse and worse syncing up. I messed with the av sync settings on the receiver and on the tv setting av sync to on. It's just weird that it only happens on HDMI and not optical. I use the HDMI as a central hub for audio and still use HDMI ports on tv. It's very a annoying and cannot figure this out.
post #703 of 749 Old 07-02-2020, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Easier way....

Download the CalMAN Bravia app from the Google Play Store, and connect to the TV over LAN/WiFi from an internet browser. To do this, open your web browser and put in the TVs IP address and the correct port number (i.e. 192.168.1.100:9022). Once connected, you should be able to select the two new modes.
I'm having trouble, I type in the IP address and port number, tv says connected, but It doesn't unlock the two pro modes.

Am I missing something?

Thanks
post #704 of 749 Old 07-03-2020, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Got a quick question for the audio peeps out there: I have a 2.0 Vizio soundbar that's kinda sorta old and doesn't have HDMI. I had it connected to my old TV with an optical cord because it's the next best thing to HDMI.

The 950G I used to have and the 950H won't output any sound if I connect the soundbar optically. Is there a sound setting I'm missing to change or something or is it simply not compatible?

I ask because I have the soundbar connected via bluetooth and at first it was fine, but now it cuts out for a second every so often.
post #705 of 749 Old 07-03-2020, 08:12 AM

Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenanigans99 View Post
Question for you guys, I've been having an issue with voice sync using HDMI as sound thru my Onkyo receiver. The issue is that when watching cable the voice sync will be nearly perfect and as I'm watching the show after a while it will slowly get worse and worse syncing up. I messed with the av sync settings on the receiver and on the tv setting av sync to on. It's just weird that it only happens on HDMI and not optical. I use the HDMI as a central hub for audio and still use HDMI ports on tv. It's very a annoying and cannot figure this out.

I was having sync issues with ARC over HDMI until I turned off Passthrough on the TV's audio settings and set the output to Auto 1. None of the other setting options seemed to make a difference. The sync issues were happening for both over-the-air and media player sources. This means I can't get DTS passthrough now, but I can live with that if it means no audio dropouts or sync issues.
Best of luck.
post #706 of 749 Old 07-03-2020, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellamorte13 View Post
Got a quick question for the audio peeps out there: I have a 2.0 Vizio soundbar that's kinda sorta old and doesn't have HDMI. I had it connected to my old TV with an optical cord because it's the next best thing to HDMI.

The 950G I used to have and the 950H won't output any sound if I connect the soundbar optically. Is there a sound setting I'm missing to change or something or is it simply not compatible?

There must I ask because I have the soundbar connected via bluetooth and at first it was fine, but now it cuts out for a second every so often.
I don't have this TV, but there must be audio settings that let you control whether audio comes from the TV speakers, the optical output, or both**. There is also probably a setting for you to change the format for the audio, and depending on the TV and the soundbar, you may need to set it to output in PCM format.

** As a tangent, I really hope the 950H at least has an option allows you to keep the TV speakers active when a device is connected via optical or the headphone jack. It's really annoying to me that many TVs don't allow this anymore. On my older TVs, the optical output was always active no matter whether you had the TV speakers on or off, and that's what I would like to see from all TVs.
post #707 of 749 Old 07-04-2020, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hey guys,

New to the forum. Just moved to a new house so I bought a couple of new TV's - 55" LG B9 in main room and 85" Sony X950H in rec room. I am coming from a ST60 Plasma, and once I set up the X950H I noticed what would be called clouding in the 4 corners and I was hoping you guys could tell me if I have a bad screen or if its completely normal.

I understand that it is mostly only noticeable on a HDR feed, in a dark room and in dark scenes. I guess the first show I watched was exactly that so I noticed it a little bit during some scenes.

I am a bit of a picky person but if you tell me its normal I am sure I won't notice it in time.

(Note the picture makes it more pronounced obviously).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4715.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	2752844  
post #708 of 749 Old 07-04-2020, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel_157 View Post
Hey guys,

New to the forum. Just moved to a new house so I bought a couple of new TV's - 55" LG B9 in main room and 85" Sony X950H in rec room. I am coming from a ST60 Plasma, and once I set up the X950H I noticed what would be called clouding in the 4 corners and I was hoping you guys could tell me if I have a bad screen or if its completely normal.

I understand that it is mostly only noticeable on a HDR feed, in a dark room and in dark scenes. I guess the first show I watched was exactly that so I noticed it a little bit during some scenes.

I am a bit of a picky person but if you tell me its normal I am sure I won't notice it in time.

The picture you show appears to be from a Netflix menu page, unfortunately Sony turns off Local Dimming on menu screens (No one know why). One of the functions of LD is to compensate for clouding, when LD is on you should not see clouding like this.

TLR Clouding like that is normal on menu type pages.
galonzo likes this.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #709 of 749 Old 07-04-2020, 09:04 AM

Liked: 2
Quote:
Hey guys,

Make a picture of black picture with local dimming on high, but NOT on menu or loading screens.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
post #710 of 749 Old 07-04-2020, 10:51 AM

Liked: 8
Quote:
Hey guys,

Since your TV is wall mounted, is it angled down some? I know that when I had my X950G the clouding in the corners were worse when the TV was angled down due to I am guessing the pressure put on it. If I angled the TV back up to level, the clouding was better. I returned that TV for other reasons but my X950H doesn't have that type of clouding in the corners but I also have mine on a stand now.

I also wonder if this is the reason the TV is angled back some on the X950H stand.

Last edited by haulis; 07-04-2020 at 06:08 PM.
post #711 of 749 Old 07-04-2020, 07:21 PM

Liked: 1
Hey Guys I just got a new x950H today 55in and love it. I wanted to know if those settings on the first page are settings you would input on the TV? or are these calibrator settings using calman bravia?
post #712 of 749 Old 07-05-2020, 12:49 PM

Liked: 1
Never mind-I figured it out and I'm good to go now.
post #713 of 749 Old 07-06-2020, 12:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by haulis View Post
Since your TV is wall mounted, is it angled down some? I know that when I had my X950G the clouding in the corners were worse when the TV was angled down due to I am guessing the pressure put on it. If I angled the TV back up to level, the clouding was better. I returned that TV for other reasons but my X950H doesn't have that type of clouding in the corners but I also have mine on a stand now.

I also wonder if this is the reason the TV is angled back some on the X950H stand.
Wha-wha-what? On a wall mount, when angles down, there is increased pressure on the corners of the tv? I hope not because I've got mine angled down quite a bit to deal with reflections...

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
post #714 of 749 Old 07-06-2020, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 28
To follow up on my previous post. Looks like X-Motion-Clarity on the X950H works different than on the X950G.
X950G has X-Motion-Clarity activated at Clearness 1 and any Smoothness

X950H needs at least Smoothness 2 and Clearness 2

Confirmed by HDTVTest in his review of the X950H
Confirmed by rtings after latest update

Update 07/06/2020: We previously mentioned to activate the BFI feature, the 'Clearness' slider can be set either at '1' or '2', according to your preference. However, 'Clearness' and 'Smoothness' sliders must be set at '2' for it to work. The text and the settings page have been updated.

WTF Sony ?
post #715 of 749 Old 07-07-2020, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrztt View Post
To follow up on my previous post. Looks like X-Motion-Clarity on the X950H works different than on the X950G.

Update 07/06/2020: We previously mentioned to activate the BFI feature, the 'Clearness' slider can be set either at '1' or '2', according to your preference. However, 'Clearness' and 'Smoothness' sliders must be set at '2' for it to work. The text and the settings page have been updated.

WTF Sony ?
WTF Rtings?
galonzo likes this.
post #716 of 749 Old 07-07-2020, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post
WTF Rtings?
Its not rtings fault. Are you for real ?
post #717 of 749 Old 07-07-2020, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Its not rtings fault. Are you for real ?
Maybe I just have higher expectations. If Vincent had not mentioned it in his review, rtings wouldn't have known.
galonzo likes this.
post #718 of 749 Old 07-07-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
Bad news on the X950H while testing Dolby Vision...Dolby Vision is basically broken as far as I can tell on this current firmware. I noticed previously that when I switched from Dolby Viksion bright, or as I call it TOO BRIGHT mode, to DV dark, my whites all turned green. It was so noticable that I can't use dark mode, and only use bright.

I finally put the meter on the TV and used the Spears and munsil Dolby Vision UHD disc to throw patterns at the thing and read the luminance and color of the bright and dark modes. Well, bright was no suprise, way way too bright...50% reference white in HDR is 94nit, and DV bright mode is like double that...TOO BRIGHT!

Then I tested DV dark, and the green issue was extremely apparent on the readings...like massive green/red shift...more accurately, blue just falls off the map and appears to have been killed by COVID19 or something. I am posting pics of Calman charts for bright and dark, so you can see how dark is BROKEN, VERY BROKEN. The thing that pisses me off the most about this, is that dark is the profile that actually tracks PQ luminance curve properly, or at least almost properly, while bright is double the luminance that HDR calls for. I cannot correct the bright luminance curve...I tried lowering gamma and lowering contrast but the results ended up cutting peak brightness from 880nit to 680nit. I can't alter the 2 point to correct DV dark without destroying all the other picture modes for HDR and SDR, since the new Sony TV's rerquire using the same 2 point gain and bias settings for everything in a specific source. Keep in mind the tests were done with calibrated settings, which are spot on for SDR, and HDR10.

So see below...if anyone else has noticed the green shift, maybe we need to contact Sony for a fix. For now, I am using DV VIVID (set to same settings as DV Bright, but contrast reduced to 80...closest aproximation for now to accurate luminance cuve without the blue drop.)
I bought the 55" 950H a few weeks ago. It's definitely an impressive set.

However, I'm noticing a strong green/yellow tint in the whites, particularly on Expert 1 and 2 color settings. It sounds exactly like what you describe above or what can be seen in Vincent's review when showing Dolby Vision Dark. Why am I seeing this in other picture presets? I can't completely pull it out of the gray scale. It's maddening, because I know this TV could have an amazing picture. I'm hesitant to replace my set, because it's a great panel otherwise-- no noticeable dirty screen effect or uneven screen uniformity.

Could this be a bug? If so, could an upcoming firmware patch fix it? Should I consider replacing it?
post #719 of 749 Old 07-07-2020, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisFuture View Post
I bought the 55" 950H a few weeks ago. It's definitely an impressive set.

However, I'm noticing a strong green/yellow tint in the whites, particularly on Expert 1 and 2 color settings. It sounds exactly like what you describe above or what can be seen in Vincent's review when showing Dolby Vision Dark. Why am I seeing this in other picture presets? I can't completely pull it out of the gray scale. It's maddening, because I know this TV could have an amazing picture. I'm hesitant to replace my set, because it's a great panel otherwise-- no noticeable dirty screen effect or uneven screen uniformity.

Could this be a bug? If so, could an upcoming firmware patch fix it? Should I consider replacing it?
Unless you have a meter, your best bet is "perceptual" white balance correction with the RGB Gain controls until your whites and greys appear proper to your eyes. It's an actual thing....perceptual matching...so don't be afraid to give it a shot!

https://www.lightspace.lightillusion...our_match.html

Paul

Sony X950H SDR and HDR Calibration setting https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post59249362

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibration settings https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
post #720 of 749 Old 07-07-2020, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

WTF Sony ?
The interesting thing is...if BFI and X-Motion Clarity REQUIRE sliders to both be set to 2, then what the absolute F do setttings Min and 1 do for those sliders? Seriously makes no sense.

Paul
galonzo likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page