1Likes
  • 1 Post By VA_DaveB

post #1 of 8 Old 02-20-2020, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
New HDTV

Later this year we'll be in the market for a new TV. We're both in our 80s and my eyesight is bad even after cataract surgery. My wife's eyesight is somewhat better but certainly not 20/20. We watch cable TV and streaming TV (~50/50). We don't own a physical media player and we're not going to purchase one.

Given the above, I think upscaling capability is our first priority and most of the other features (HDR, etc.) are of minor importance.

Which brands and models should we be looking for?

We're likely interested in a TV up to 55" and around $1000 +/_ a couple hundred dollars.

TIA,

wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-20-2020, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1582 Post(s)
Liked: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne1935 View Post
Later this year we'll be in the market for a new TV. We're both in our 80s and my eyesight is bad even after cataract surgery. My wife's eyesight is somewhat better but certainly not 20/20. We watch cable TV and streaming TV (~50/50). We don't own a physical media player and we're not going to purchase one.

Given the above, I think upscaling capability is our first priority and most of the other features (HDR, etc.) are of minor importance.

We're likely interested in a TV up to 55" and around $1000 +/_ a couple hundred dollars.

TIA,

wayne
How far are you sitting from the TV? With poor vision larger is even more important.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-20-2020, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
How far are you sitting from the TV? With poor vision larger is even more important.
We sit about 15" from the TV.

A 65" would be a tight fit and a 65" may be out of our price range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-20-2020, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:

TIA, wayne
I've been trying to do a little research of the same, and from the little I've found to read on the subject of best/or suggested TV panel characteristics or attributes for the visually impaired, these three seem to be or premium importance: high contrast, high brightness, and low reflections/good reflection handling.

"I said I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in." ~ The Dude
post #5 of 8 Old 02-20-2020, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Some how I managed to delete your last response where you mentioned a couple of options.

Can you resend that reply?
post #6 of 8 Old 02-20-2020, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
A solid 65" in your price range is the Sony XBR65X900F.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-20-2020, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1582 Post(s)
Liked: 795
Quote:
Some how I managed to delete your last response where you mentioned a couple of options.

Can you resend that reply?
No I can't. You didn't delete it a forum moderator did and sent me a warning for posting a retail link. I knew their panties get in a knot if you mention a price, but I thought a link was OK. But nope. Here are the ones I mentioned with no prices, no links, no nuthin'.

You could look at the following native 120 Hz VA panel non-local dimming TVs from Samsung which are both under your $1K price point:

Samsung QN65Q60R
Samsung UN65RU8000

If you care to spend a bit more than $1K, look at the Sony 900F a native 120 Hz a 2018 model FALD VA panel TV:

65" Sony X900F

The moral is don't ask for any help here, move your request to the "help me find an LCD thread" at the top of the page. I'm in a lot of forums and this is the weirdest and most difficult to deal with. They want you to talk about AV equipment as if price and finding a place to buy it is irrelevant. You can't actually own a TV if: 1) you don't know where to buy one, or; 2) if you don't know what the price is.
piper_chuck likes this.

Last edited by VA_DaveB; 02-20-2020 at 02:52 PM.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-21-2020, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
No I can't. You didn't delete it a forum moderator did and sent me a warning for posting a retail link. I knew their panties get in a knot if you mention a price, but I thought a link was OK. But nope. Here are the ones I mentioned with no prices, no links, no nuthin'.

You could look at the following native 120 Hz VA panel non-local dimming TVs from Samsung which are both under your $1K price point:

Samsung QN65Q60R
Samsung UN65RU8000

If you care to spend a bit more than $1K, look at the Sony 900F a native 120 Hz a 2018 model FALD VA panel TV:

65" Sony X900F

The moral is don't ask for any help here, move your request to the "help me find an LCD thread" at the top of the page. I'm in a lot of forums and this is the weirdest and most difficult to deal with. They want you to talk about AV equipment as if price and finding a place to buy it is irrelevant. You can't actually own a TV if: 1) you don't know where to buy one, or; 2) if you don't know what the price is.
Thanx all for the suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page