Square Trade at Costco Question??? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By Yosemite N. P.
  • 2 Post By audio.hobby
  • 1 Post By LNEWoLF
  • 1 Post By Audioguy1

post #1 of 27 Old 02-20-2020, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Square Trade at Costco Question???

Does anybody have experience with the Square Trade topper that they sell at Costco for TV purchases. I just want to find out what I get before buying it. I called and confirmed that Costco will double the manufacturers warranty and double that to 4 years if you put it on their card. Now they are adding a Square Trade warranty on top of that thus giving you 7 years of protection (and in some cases like with the LG OLEDs they add the square trade for free). And I see that Square Trade covers power surges (which is a real threat here in South Florida) along with some other extras not covered under the Manufacturers warranty.

So my question is when does the Square Trade coverage kick in? Is it from day one that I am covered for power surges and other claims or does it start once the Manufacturers warranty expires......in this case after year #4 . I called and could not get a straight answer from Square Trade or Costco concierge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 02-20-2020, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio.hobby View Post
Does anybody have experience with the Square Trade topper that they sell at Costco for TV purchases. I just want to find out what I get before buying it. I called and confirmed that Costco will double the manufacturers warranty and double that to 4 years if you put it on their card. Now they are adding a Square Trade warranty on top of that thus giving you 7 years of protection (and in some cases like with the LG OLEDs they add the square trade for free). And I see that Square Trade covers power surges (which is a real threat here in South Florida) along with some other extras not covered under the Manufacturers warranty.

So my question is when does the Square Trade coverage kick in? Is it from day one that I am covered for power surges and other claims or does it start once the Manufacturers warranty expires......in this case after year #4 . I called and could not get a straight answer from Square Trade or Costco concierge.
Isn't this page implying that no matter what, Square Trade kicks in after 2 years? Click "View More Details" to see what I'm talking about.

https://www.costco.com/squaretrade-3....11680336.html

Last edited by mastacow53; 02-20-2020 at 03:18 PM.
post #3 of 27 Old 02-20-2020, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastacow53 View Post
Isn't this page implying that no matter what, Square Trade kicks in after 2 years? Click "View More Details" to see what I'm talking about.

I read that, but the Square Trade person that I spoke with assumed that if it wasn't covered by Costco then they would cover it. Or at least they would send someone out to look into it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 02-20-2020, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Very confusing. SquareTrade told me coverage starts at time of purchase and is for the length of the ST warranty you buy. A ST rep also told me that you can buy a TV at a non-Costco location but attach a Costco-purchased ST coverage to it as long as it’s registered with ST within 90 days. That rep also told me the ST coverage starts after the other coverages but might cover some things no included in the others so could come into effect sooner than after the others expired.

Confusing to say the least. He didn’t explain how that works. Using his explanation, a 3-yr ST extension policy would actually be a 5-yr policy. They really need to keep this much simpler.
post #5 of 27 Old 02-20-2020, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 9
As I posted in another thread, the total warranty is for 7 years.
Here is the breakdown of the coverage in order:
Manufacturer = 1st year of coverage.
Store (thru the manufacturer) = 2nd year of coverage.
Private insurer = 3rd, 4th, and 5th years of coverage.
Bank card = 6th and 7th years of coverage.
The store employee said that of the three insurers, the best coverage is from the bank.
He called the bank's coverage great.
The store employee said that the $100 coverage price is for TVs $1000 and up. I asked how far up, and he said there was no limit.
$100 for 7 years of coverage on your set is the minimum that you would pay for a decent bottle of wine.
It's a must have, IMO.
lucacow likes this.
post #6 of 27 Old 02-20-2020, 11:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite N. P. View Post
The store employee said that of the three insurers, the best coverage is from the bank.
The store employee said that the $100 coverage price is for TVs $1000 and up. I asked how far up, and he said there was no limit.
$100 for 7 years of coverage on your set is the minimum that you would pay for a decent bottle of wine.
It's a must have, IMO.
Do you know how the "bank coverage" works ?
post #7 of 27 Old 02-21-2020, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite N. P. View Post
It's a must have, IMO.
I just got off the phone with Costco Concierge and you are correct in the order of who covers you and when (year 1 Manu., year 2 Costco card, year 3-5 is Square trade, and years 6-7 Citi Bank).
So all TV's purchased at Costco come with a 2 year warranty and only Vizio covers both years. And if you do not purchase a square trade policy but you do use your Costco Citi Bank credit card you will have 2 years added for a total of 4 years.
I was also informed by the agent that anytime you have any issues with your TV purchased from Costco you should call Costco Concierge at 866-861-0450 and they will handle everything.
Interesting point was that it is considered a singular policy weather it be 2, 4, or 7 years in that they all cover the same issues through Costco Concierge. And I was told specifically that if it is offered on the square trade it is offered with all of them as they all mirror each other. And finally for me that power surges were included with all of the plans through Costco Concierge.
If all this is true, than it is a no brainer for sure. Great protection. The only thing that I know is not covered is OLED burn in, but again it was explained to me by LG that you do get a one time panel replacement with all expenses covered.
Lp85253 and pilotart like this.

Last edited by audio.hobby; 02-21-2020 at 07:54 AM.
post #8 of 27 Old 02-21-2020, 08:06 AM

None of what you've been told means squat if you don't get it in writing. Get EVERYTHING in writing and save it.

I can't tell if you've already bought your TV or not, but the Samsung 6DR & 7DR come with 5 yr warranties. Pay with the Costco Citi Card and you get your 7 yr coverage without the extra $100 for Square Trade.

Last edited by mastacow53; 02-21-2020 at 08:12 AM.
post #9 of 27 Old 02-21-2020, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
None of what you've been told means squat if you don't get it in writing. Get EVERYTHING in writing and save it.

I can't tell if you've already bought your TV or not, but the Samsung 6DR & 7DR come with 5 yr warranties. Pay with the Costco Citi Card and you get your 7 yr coverage without the extra $100 for Square Trade.
I wholeheartedly agree with your take on "getting it in writing" which is really driving me nuts on this one. I can find no literature on it other than what is stated with the Square Trade part. But I do have faith in Costco as they have always been good to me, however, still would like to see it in writing. And for the question on TV's no I have not picked one up yet. Just trying to find the best option for some protection from power surges. As far as TV's go, probably pick one up at Costco. It is for the bedroom and a 55" is what I am leaning towards. Had a 65" up and seemed a bit too big or maybe because it was a Vizio M series that blew up all of its flaws. Have the TCL 55r613 up there now but I do not care for its picture, and it pixelates with quick camera movement, do like the Roku on it though.
post #10 of 27 Old 02-21-2020, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Oh, one more thing, does the 8 series Samsungs come with that 5 year warranty as well?
post #11 of 27 Old 02-21-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Oh, one more thing, does the 8 series Samsungs come with that 5 year warranty as well?
Costco doesn't carry anything beyond the 7 series.
post #12 of 27 Old 02-21-2020, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Costco doesn't carry anything beyond the 7 series.
Sure they do. They have the RU8000
post #13 of 27 Old 02-21-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
Sure they do. They have the RU8000
Sorry, I assumed he meant the QLED series. In the case of the RU8000, it has a 3 year warranty.
post #14 of 27 Old 02-21-2020, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Sorry, I assumed he meant the QLED series. In the case of the RU8000, it has a 3 year warranty.
I was in between the Q70 and The RU 8000. Throw out the Q60 as it is too close , if not, inferior to thr RU.
post #15 of 27 Old 02-21-2020, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Actually, I cannot decide whether to go with the 65" Q70 as its great deal at Costco now or just grab the 55" RU 8000 for its great price for performance for a bedroom tv.

Last edited by audio.hobby; 02-22-2020 at 05:17 AM.
post #16 of 27 Old 02-21-2020, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Actually, I cannot decide whether to go with the 65" Q70 at its great deal at Costco now or just grab the 55" RU 8000 for its great price for performance for a bedroom tv.
Well, I replaced my 2006 46" JVC, which finally died last week, with a 55" Q70. It looks wonderful and I have zero complaints so far. Of course, remember this is coming from a guy that was watching a 14 year old LCD.
post #17 of 27 Old 02-21-2020, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well, I replaced my 2006 46" JVC, which finally died last week, with a 55" Q70. It looks wonderful and I have zero complaints so far. Of course, remember this is coming from a guy that was watching a 14 year old LCD.
Yeah, I get it. The TCL was a great improvement over my old Sammy, but pales in comparison to my new Sony 950G
post #18 of 27 Old 02-21-2020, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

No straight answer ehh, and they're the sales people; there's your answer.

Here's the deal. Costco don't extend the manufacturer's warranty for a year, they null and void it. Costco out-sources a third parts for the first 2 years(Think generic parts instead of o.e.). To further your info, most cards extend your warranty from one year to two, not 5 to 6, 10 to 11, etc. You best check into that as well.

Dream on my friend, dream on. At least now you know.

You've been told.

Best!
post #19 of 27 Old 02-21-2020, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioguy1 View Post

Here's the deal. Costco don't extend the manufacturer's warranty for a year, they null and void it. Costco out-sources a third parts for the first 2 years(Think generic parts instead of o.e.). To further your info, most cards extend your warranty from one year to two, not 5 to 6, 10 to 11, etc. You best check into that as well.

You've been told.

Best!
Sounds like you are just shootin' of your mouth!!! How do you know Costco is outsourcing? PROVE IT!!!
post #20 of 27 Old 02-21-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you are just shootin' of your mouth!!! How do you know Costco is outsourcing? PROVE IT!!!
Holy crap, surely you jest my fellow thespian!

Ask, and ye shall receive.

I don't shoot from the mouth, but I can shoot from the hip.

Is what it is.

Cheers from Canada!
post #21 of 27 Old 02-21-2020, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe....only in Canada....lol
post #22 of 27 Old 02-23-2020, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 359
https://www.costco.com/concierge-two...-warranty.html

https://a.sellpoint.net/a/Terms+%26+...s_2019.pdf.pdf

https://www.costco.com/concierge.html

https://customerservice.costco.com/a.../list_c/p/1291
pilotart likes this.

Twin Pioneer AVR Locomotives-Elite SC 97, SC 1222 7.2.4, DOLBY Atmos and DTS X, (Front Pre Out,) JBL Pro Synthesis LS Series Speakers, F L R-LS80, Cen-LS, S L R-LS60, SB L R-LS60, 4 Dolby Atmos Enabled Klipsch R41SA, Twin Klipsch R120SW, Sony XBR 85X 850G, Sony UBP-X800M2, ATV G4, Yamaha ATS 1060 Sound Bar, True Depth Firestorm 2.0 3D Glasses, Harmony Hub with Utlimate 1 Remote, Broadlink RM Pro2, EYE Pad Air, Winegard FL6550A

Last edited by LNEWoLF; 02-23-2020 at 09:32 AM.
post #23 of 27 Old 02-23-2020, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Do I have to buy the tv at Costco? Or can u just get the warranty?
post #24 of 27 Old 02-23-2020, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llep64 View Post
Do I have to buy the tv at Costco? Or can u just get the warranty?
I asked 2 service desk employees there about a month ago, and they both said the TV can be purchased elsewhere. If you pick up the extended warranty literature they have by the TVs, it states the same thing on there.
post #25 of 27 Old 02-23-2020, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioguy1 View Post

You've been told.

Best!

Even if they “outsource” and use generic parts, on anything happening on the second year, I still don’t see the problem.

Years 3, 4, and 5 are covered by Squaretrade. And if you use the Citi card they extend it to years 6 and 7.

I think it’s an incredible value. I just fail to see what it is that you’re on about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #26 of 27 Old 02-24-2020, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
I asked 2 service desk employees there about a month ago, and they both said the TV can be purchased elsewhere. If you pick up the extended warranty literature they have by the TVs, it states the same thing on there.
ST reps say the same thing when calling or via online chat. They just said make sure to register the ST warranty & purchase and hang on to the receipt.
post #27 of 27 Old 02-24-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucacow View Post
Even if they “outsource” and use generic parts, on anything happening on the second year, I still don’t see the problem.

Years 3, 4, and 5 are covered by Squaretrade. And if you use the Citi card they extend it to years 6 and 7.

I think it’s an incredible value. I just fail to see what it is that you’re on about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just trying to be informative to the op. As I mentioned my visa's extend one year to two, not 5 to 6. Good to know the specifics of the card. Also, having your Sony warranty voided is worth noting, if you care about that sort of thing.

Your right though, in the end that's a whole lot of warranty. ST warranty usually goes well from what I've read(I said usually).

Best
lucacow likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page