post #1 of 11 Old 02-23-2020, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How Crucial is VRR ?

Hi,

I have Xbox One X and I know it support VRR and NOT 4K120
I'm moments from buying Sony XG95, and I know it lake support of VRR (And future 4K120).
But I wonder, how crucial is VRR for gaming ? I'm not Gamer or enthusiastic, just enjoy playing some games.

I really like the the XG95 image, more then Q90r (who actually suppotr VRR/4K120). Also I like the C9 but I can't afford its 77" model.

So, your opinion is much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-23-2020, 03:45 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Its value is non-zero, but not far above it, at least with an Xbox.

Why? First of all, let's remember the VRR range is limited. That means 48-60 hz. Most games are well below that. Most games have some form of vsync, which works great. And most games don't support it properly.

If you were talking about a PC, then that would be different because you have more control over it and can make better use of it, but even then I'd say it's only crucial for a couple of games where vsync doesn't work right (though then chances of VRR working right are also not great either). The biggest gain with VRR is lower input lag compared to vsync (as a solution to screen tearing). So unless you're a very competitive gamer, it doesn't matter (and in that case you'd use a monitor anyway).

Definitely buy the XG95 over the Q90R. Whatever supposed advantages the latter has are totally neutered in game mode anyway, while the Sony doesn't gimp itself when used for games/PC.
Chura likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-23-2020, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 4
For the One X at least its not necessary because just a few games support it.

Samsung dont have VRR on the Q90R, it has Freesync with a range of 48-60hz as stated above. Also its 4K 120hz is limited to 8 bit 4:2:0.
With HDMI 2.1 the range would be 40-120hz at 4K and lesser resolutions which could be used by the next gen consoles.

The low input lag which you get with VRR is amazing and puts TVs into PC monitor range. The assumption that you would be better of with a monitor is not true anymore. ( GtG Response Time is not the same as input lag - just sayin )

Since these models dont have HDMI 2.1 (except the C9 OLED) you can go with the XG95 if you really need TV right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 02-23-2020, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chura View Post
Hi,

I have Xbox One X and I know it support VRR and NOT 4K120
I'm moments from buying Sony XG95, and I know it lake support of VRR (And future 4K120).
But I wonder, how crucial is VRR for gaming ? I'm not Gamer or enthusiastic, just enjoy playing some games.

I really like the the XG95 image, more then Q90r (who actually suppotr VRR/4K120). Also I like the C9 but I can't afford its 77" model.

So, your opinion is much appreciated.
You asked "How Crucial is VRR ?". Since you're not a gamer, not crucial at all. Just get the best TV. Overall, the Q90R is better, but if you like the X950G better, then go for it. Hopefully, if you're buying the 75" or 85", you're not making the decision while looking at the smaller 55" or 65" in the store. They are very different TVs as the 75" and 85" have the X-Wide Angle layer which significantly affects black levels on Sony TVs while the smaller versions don't. Even with local dimming on, the contrast ratio tops out at less than 4,000:1 (Rtings measured only 3,379:1 for the better Z9F). Samsung's Q80R and Q90R with their Ultra Wide viewing angle have much deeper blacks with dimming on, Rtings measured 11,200:1 on the Q90R. And since you can't turn Q90R's local dimming off, you always have very deep blacks.
winterbegins likes this.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-23-2020, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
You asked "How Crucial is VRR ?". Since you're not a gamer, not crucial at all. Just get the best TV. Overall, the Q90R is better, but if you like the X950G better, then go for it. Hopefully, if you're buying the 75" or 85", you're not making the decision while looking at the smaller 55" or 65" in the store. They are very different TVs as the 75" and 85" have the X-Wide Angle layer which significantly affects black levels on Sony TVs while the smaller versions don't. Even with local dimming on, the contrast ratio tops out at less than 4,000:1 (Rtings measured only 3,379:1 for the better Z9F). Samsung's Q80R and Q90R with their Ultra Wide viewing angle have much deeper blacks with dimming on, Rtings measured 11,200:1 on the Q90R. And since you can't turn Q90R's local dimming off, you always have very deep blacks.
Thanks for the replies.
The Q90 is 1000$ more expensive then the XG95 here
And honestly, I didn't see much differences between them when watching them on the store.
I can see that XG95 is well liked here, how come if it has such a bad black levels ?
post #6 of 11 Old 02-23-2020, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chura View Post
Thanks for the replies.
The Q90 is 1000$ more expensive then the XG95 here
And honestly, I didn't see much differences between them when watching them on the store.
I can see that XG95 is well liked here, how come if it has such a bad black levels ?
It's still excellent in a bright room TV and the smaller versions do have decent black levels. Here the 75" X950G is the same price as the 75" Z9F which is a much better TV. The Z9F is the Sony Master series and, if you like Sony and can get it for the same price as the X950G, get it!
post #7 of 11 Old 02-24-2020, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 67
If you are a casual gamer all these features are irrelevant, fun fact hardcore gamers prefer to use a monitor for gaming not tvs.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-24-2020, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Took the 85" XG95 eventually, price I couldn't resist.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-24-2020, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Liked: 1185
Quote:
Originally Posted by picturequality View Post
If you are a casual gamer all these features are irrelevant, fun fact hardcore gamers prefer to use a monitor for gaming not tvs.
Samsung and LG have cornered the marketing back of the box checklists and convinced everyone that plays video games that they are "harscore" gamers and they need this and that (i.e. VRR or 2.1). In reality, those features aren't relevant at all for 99.9% of consumers/gamers, and like you said the real hardcore gamers are playing on desktop monitors.

Consoles are locked at 30 or 60fps and relatively stable anyway. I also don't think any of us should be concerned with lag times of 15ms vs 25ms and pretend it affects us.

Just get the best TV you can afford. And don't fall for Samsung gimmicks either with rting benchmark tests for contrast ratio. In person, the 950G is better than the Q90r. Black bars are nice but not at the expense of proper EOTF that crushes black levels or raises mid tones to achieve peak brightness.

Sony XBR-77A9G / Panasonic DP-UB9000 / Marantz SR7011 / SVS PB-4000 / Def Tech 9060 Series
post #10 of 11 Old 02-25-2020, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Most hardcore gamers play games on TVs. The posters in this thread are confusing hardcore with professional gamers. They are not synonymous.

OP, I would suggest the first step be that you do some quick research on VRR and see what it actually does, see some examples of the things that it fixes, and then making a decision on whether you want to pay extra for it will be pretty clear. The bottom line is that nobody needs it, but if you want the best experience possible, then some people will decide to pay for it.

post #11 of 11 Old 02-26-2020, 01:24 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 23
VRR is only useful when you connect your TV to a PC. Might be useful on the next generation consoles coming but not on the current ones.

You want as low as input-lag you can get. 15 vs 25-30 is quickly apparent. You notice it directly when switching between them. Though you can get used to the higher input-lag but you will always prefer the snappier response whenever you try the slower one versus the faster one for even a short while.

The bad thing with regard to Samsung is you loose PQ when using VRR & gamemode versus for example Movie Mode calibrated. Local Dimming takes a deep dive, might be comparable to Sony F900 dimming then if not worse. A lot of options are not available to enable the quicker response time.
Here LG C9 is better, you basically lose nothing using VRR & Game mode on those TV's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page