NX5 and TCL 55" LED TV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 02-24-2020, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 13
NX5 and TCL 55" LED TV

So I have my NX5 all setup and working properly now.

I had gotten a TCL television about a month before and that was what prompted me to get a 4k projector since my RS20 was kind of long in the tooth.

I've noticed that the TCL has... I don't know... better color? Or maybe contrast?

There's something about the TCL picture that just looks more detailed than the NX5.

The TCL isn't exactly "top of the line" in 4k televisions either... cost me about 350 bucks.

I guess my question is... is this just the difference in quality between a projector that costs 10 times more than the TV?

With 1080 I always preferred my projector to my hdtv, but other than the size, now I'm leaning more toward my much cheaper television.

Just want to make sure I'm not missing something here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-24-2020, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 201
What kind of environment is the jvc in? Living room dedicated room, dark/light paint, fabric walls, white/black ceiling, carpet/tile, white screen? what screen? etc.
post #3 of 15 Old 02-24-2020, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post
What kind of environment is the jvc in? Living room dedicated room, dark/light paint, fabric walls, white/black ceiling, carpet/tile, white screen? what screen? etc.
Dedicated theater room dark ceiling... basically a bat cave.

Carada screen... I forget the gain though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 02-24-2020, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

The JVC in an optimized environment, for most movies and darker tv shows, has much higher contrast than the tv, but once you hit brighter content/tv shows, the tv will pull ahead. Contrast is a little lower in high lamp, a little higher with the manual iris closed in low lamp.

For color, the jvc should has a wider gamut. Motion should be better, the jvc has a faster pixel response and less overshooting, also has easily set frame interpolation and black frame insertion

Couple other things,
-after a few hundred hours the unit should benefit from a calibration due to bulb aging and gamma shift.
-adjust the convergence correction to make sure the panels are aligned as best as possible

the bottom red line is high lamp, the top low lamp~
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV Contrast2sm.png
Views:	209
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	2689670  
post #5 of 15 Old 02-24-2020, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1707 Post(s)
Liked: 1433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imatk View Post
So I have my NX5 all setup and working properly now.

I had gotten a TCL television about a month before and that was what prompted me to get a 4k projector since my RS20 was kind of long in the tooth.

I've noticed that the TCL has... I don't know... better color? Or maybe contrast?

There's something about the TCL picture that just looks more detailed than the NX5.

The TCL isn't exactly "top of the line" in 4k televisions either... cost me about 350 bucks.

I guess my question is... is this just the difference in quality between a projector that costs 10 times more than the TV?

With 1080 I always preferred my projector to my hdtv, but other than the size, now I'm leaning more toward my much cheaper television.

Just want to make sure I'm not missing something here.
Lower-quality lower-resolution content will always look better on a smaller screen. So when you are watching 1080p content on your previous setup the difference in quality wasn't as obvious but now that you are watching 1080p content that I'm assuming your upscaling to 4K it looks worse on the largest screen. Do you have a 4K disc player yet cuz I haven't heard anyone complain about the JVC nx5 when using high quality content like a 4K disc. The larger the screen the lower the resolution the more painfully obvious is going to appear when you're not watching 4K content

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tristan Jones
post #6 of 15 Old 02-24-2020, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

In terms of detail there is a difference between projection and an emissive display simply due to the emissive display doesnt have to contend with any misconvergence, chromatic abberation, and has a significantly higher ansi contrast.
post #7 of 15 Old 02-24-2020, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Heck, my son has a cheap 32” 720p(!!!) TCL that sometimes I feel looks better than my projector setups or my other, larger TVs.

I think it’s mostly down to pixel density on the smaller screen and also the fact I’m just using streaming sources.

I prefer watching on the larger screens though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #8 of 15 Old 02-25-2020, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah I'm not saying it looks terrible or anything.

I'm talking about 4k content from disc and from streaming.

They both look better on the TV. Not astronomically better, but they do look better.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something in my settings but looks like it's "normal"
post #9 of 15 Old 02-25-2020, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked: 4218
Quote:
Yeah I'm not saying it looks terrible or anything.

I'm talking about 4k content from disc and from streaming.

They both look better on the TV. Not astronomically better, but they do look better.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something in my settings but looks like it's "normal"
I don't think it's "normal". But honestly, there's nothing real specific to help you trace down.
The NX5, in the right environment, should look fantastic. The TCL TV at 55" is too small to benefit from 4K resolution so you should be able to fully benefit from that on your projector and see more detail. The TV will be brighter. That's really all it has as its advantage. The projector beats it out in all other ways. There's a good chance your projector just isn't set up correctly. Who knows? Based only on what's stated here, no one can tell you the exact solution. Perhaps you should bring in a calibrator to take care of things.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" ST130 G4 screen in batcave, htpc nvidia 1080ti madVR.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, Infinite Baffle Subs 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 2x12 fi audio mounted in main chair firing into back.
post #10 of 15 Old 02-25-2020, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I don't think it's "normal". But honestly, there's nothing real specific to help you trace down.
The NX5, in the right environment, should look fantastic. The TCL TV at 55" is too small to benefit from 4K resolution so you should be able to fully benefit from that on your projector and see more detail. The TV will be brighter. That's really all it has as its advantage. The projector beats it out in all other ways. There's a good chance your projector just isn't set up correctly. Who knows? Based only on what's stated here, no one can tell you the exact solution. Perhaps you should bring in a calibrator to take care of things.
I don't think it's too small at all to benefit from the 4k content.

I went from a 46" Sony to the 55" TCL and the difference was and is dramatic.

I guess if I sat much farther away it might not matter? But it definitely makes a much larger impact than I thought.

To be honest I was perfectly satisfied with just my 1080p and my JVC RS20 until I got the TCL.

The only reason I got the TCL is it was really cheap and according to many of the reviews a very good television for the price. I wanted to replace an ailing Roku and that one had it built in so I went for it.

Turned out that cheap tv cost me a lot more than I bargained for because it looked WAY better than my RS20.

I've been reading about calibration. I wouldn't mind having a go at it myself, but it really isn't an issue per se.

The picture is fantastic, just not quite as good as the TCL.
post #11 of 15 Old 02-26-2020, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked: 2515
Quote:

I've been reading about calibration. I wouldn't mind having a go at it myself, but it really isn't an issue per se.

If you mean "a go at it myself" doing the calibration yourself, I wouldn't. You can really mess things up even with autocal unless you are willing do a deep dive into calibration fundamentals. I would invest in a professional coming out as calibrating the projector for you. Some might be willing to give you a turtorial on the basics, so you can do "touch ups" down the road, but you'd have to find the right calibrator and let them know up front of what your expectations are.

I would spend time in the calibration forum (reading) and these threads:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...gs-thread.html

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...rs-thread.html

Again, reading what's already been written.

Last edited by rboster; 02-26-2020 at 01:36 PM.
post #12 of 15 Old 02-26-2020, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
If you mean "a go at it myself" doing the calibration yourself, I wouldn't. You can really mess things up even with autocal unless you are willing do a deep dive into calibration fundamentals. I would invest in a professional coming out as calibrating the projector for you. Some might be willing to give you a turtorial on the basics, so you can do "touch ups" down the road, but you'd have to find the right calibrator and let them know up front of what your expectations are.

I would spend time in the calibration forum (reading) and these threads:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...gs-thread.html

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...rs-thread.html

Again, reading what's already been written.
Cool thanks man! If anyone has recommendations for a good calibrator in Austin, TX let me know
post #13 of 15 Old 02-26-2020, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked: 2515
Quote:
Cool thanks man! If anyone has recommendations for a good calibrator in Austin, TX let me know
If you visited the calibration forum you would have seen this sticky

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...post-here.html
post #14 of 15 Old 02-26-2020, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked: 4218
Quote:
I don't think it's too small at all to benefit from the 4k content.
A 55" TV is not too small to benefit from 4K "content" due to benefits in HDR and such. But a 4K TV is far too small to benefit from 4K resolution. You cannot see the difference in pixels being 4K vs 1080p on that size of a screen from further back than say 4 feet. Do you sit within 4 feet of your TV? If not, you can't tell.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" ST130 G4 screen in batcave, htpc nvidia 1080ti madVR.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, Infinite Baffle Subs 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 2x12 fi audio mounted in main chair firing into back.
post #15 of 15 Old 02-27-2020, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
A 55" TV is not too small to benefit from 4K "content" due to benefits in HDR and such. But a 4K TV is far too small to benefit from 4K resolution. You cannot see the difference in pixels being 4K vs 1080p on that size of a screen from further back than say 4 feet. Do you sit within 4 feet of your TV? If not, you can't tell.
I haven't measured how far I sit from the tv but it's not too far.

Maybe I have super eyes but I doubt it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page