Best upscaling for low res, budget? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By VA_DaveB
  • 1 Post By VA_DaveB
  • 1 Post By VA_DaveB
  • 1 Post By VA_DaveB
  • 1 Post By VA_DaveB
  • 1 Post By VA_DaveB

post #1 of 16 Old 02-27-2020, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Best upscaling for low res, budget?

In the market for a new 55" set, about $700 max. We watch exclusively downloaded content, mostly 720p, and sometimes as low as 480p. All played from usb attached hard drive or from PC via HDMI.

So, am I correct in assuming upscaling should be most important in considering new set?

Based on reviews i bought a TCL 6 series, but it has hard time reading my hard drive partitions, so it's going back.

Considering vizio M8, but rtings rates its 720p upscaling as sub-par. What good is "best picture in its class" if it upscales my source material poorly?

Costco salesman recommend LG UM7300, claiming it had adaptive, self-learning upscaling, better than any other budget set and would be best suited to my low res material. But I can't find any online information to confirm this, and it's hard to ignore the otherwise mediocre reviews this set receives.

The online reviews I'm finding spend little or no time discussing upscaling. Please help...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-27-2020, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by arficus View Post
In the market for a new 55" set, about $700 max. We watch exclusively downloaded content, mostly 720p, and sometimes as low as 480p. All played from usb attached hard drive or from PC via HDMI.

So, am I correct in assuming upscaling should be most important in considering new set?

Based on reviews i bought a TCL 6 series, but it has hard time reading my hard drive partitions, so it's going back.

Considering vizio M8, but rtings rates its 720p upscaling as sub-par. What good is "best picture in its class" if it upscales my source material poorly?

Costco salesman recommend LG UM7300, claiming it had adaptive, self-learning upscaling, better than any other budget set and would be best suited to my low res material. But I can't find any online information to confirm this, and it's hard to ignore the otherwise mediocre reviews this set receives.

The online reviews I'm finding spend little or no time discussing upscaling. Please help...
You definitely don't want a Vizio since all models have poor 480p and 720p upscaling. Sony has generally been credited with the best upscaling, but Samsung and LG have closed the gap. There are only IPS panel Sonys at or below your price limit for a 55" so I'd avoid them and all the LGs since IPS panels have very low contrast and therefore grayish blacks as well as clouding. There are two Samsung VA panels with deep blacks around your price point, the Q60R and the RU8000. They perform very similar, both are edge lit without local dimming, and have good upscaling. The Q60R, which is a few dollars over your budget, being a "QLED" is a tad brighter and has a bit more color pop and color volume.
FibreOpticFloss likes this.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-27-2020, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
... The Q60R, which is a few dollars over your budget, being a "QLED" is a tad brighter and has a bit more color pop and color volume.

How about hisense h8f? Has same rtings upscale ratings as q60r and has local dimming. I'd go for h9f but can't find one in stock anywhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 02-27-2020, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How about hisense h8f? Has same rtings upscale ratings as q60r and has local dimming. I'd go for h9f but can't find one in stock anywhere.
Well, personally, I'm not a fan of these cheap Chinese TVs. The HF8 has poor motion with blur due to a very slow response time, poor gray uniformity and vertical banding. And your described usage of the TV shows no need for FALD. The H9F has better motion and gradient control, but also has gray uniformity issues with DSE. As always, you should go see the TVs for yourself as nobody can tell you what you like.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-27-2020, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well, personally, I'm not a fan of these cheap Chinese TVs...

So do you have a recommendation?
post #6 of 16 Old 02-28-2020, 03:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So do you have a recommendation?
You seem to want FALD even though you need it for your 480p and 720p content, so go a couple of hundred bucks up and get the Sony X900F. You'll get great upscaling and motion control, decent working FALD, all in a well built 55" TV.
arficus likes this.
post #7 of 16 Old 02-28-2020, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You seem to want FALD even though you need it for your 480p and 720p content, so go a couple of hundred bucks up and get the Sony X900F. You'll get great upscaling and motion control, decent working FALD, all in a well built 55" TV.

Will it read hard drives with GUID Partition Table (GPT)? Apparently many new sets still can't!?

Last edited by arficus; 02-28-2020 at 04:27 AM.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-28-2020, 04:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Will it read hard drives with GPT (ie >2gb)? Apparently many new sets still can't!?

Any recommendation for a set with good upscaling but w/out FALD?
Here's a link from Sony on maximum file size. The NTFS 16TB figure would have to be a GPT drive. You might want to ask for confirmation in the Sony X900F Owner's Thread.

Like I said earlier, LG and Samsung also have good upscaling and I pointed out two Samsung VA panel models in your budget without FALD. Any LG or Sony 55" in that range is going to be IPS. But if you really want FALD for future HDR, the Sony 55" X900F is a good choice if you can come up with the extra $.
arficus likes this.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-28-2020, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
...and I pointed out two Samsung VA panel models in your budget without FALD... $.

Been eyeing the costco versions of those, but there seems to be so much hate directed at those models, particularly at reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/4kTV/commen..._samsung_q6dr/
https://www.reddit.com/r/HTBuyingGui...amsung_ru8000/

Are these people simply obsessed with specs, price, willing to forego build quality, or ?? Can you help ease my mind?
post #10 of 16 Old 02-28-2020, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Been eyeing the costco versions of those, but there seems to be so much hate directed at those models, particularly at reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/4kTV/commen..._samsung_q6dr/
https://www.reddit.com/r/HTBuyingGui...amsung_ru8000/

Are these people simply obsessed with specs, price, willing to forego build quality, or ?? Can you help ease my mind?
I don't pay any attention to anything going on at Reddit. It's kind of like Twitter, with lots of uniformed know it alls arguing all day. There's really no risk at Costco, if you don't like the one you buy, you have 90 days to return it.
lucacow likes this.
post #11 of 16 Old 02-28-2020, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't pay any attention to anything going on at Reddit. It's kind of like Twitter, with lots of uniformed know it alls arguing all day. There's really no risk at Costco, if you don't like the one you buy, you have 90 days to return it.

Just discovered neither samsung has an analog audio out, guess I'll start saving for the sony. Thanks for your help.
post #12 of 16 Old 02-28-2020, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 49
If your old TV is working fine, wait to see some reviews on the 2020 models across the board. Unless CoronaVirus causes massive delays, we should see stuff hitting the shelves in March, just a few days away. Prices on 2019 stock will also drop once new stock comes out and prices are even lower this year. An example is the Hisense 85" MSRP at only $1400. There will be some cheaper quality 55" options within the $700 range I suspect.
post #13 of 16 Old 03-01-2020, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The X950G is only $100 more than X900F (55") - worth it?
Is the "X1" processor involved in upscaling?
X950G apparently has upgraded X1...
post #14 of 16 Old 03-01-2020, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The X950G is only $100 more than X900F (55") - worth it?
Is the "X1" processor involved in upscaling?
X950G apparently has upgraded X1...
Sony came up with the Ultimate X1 for processing 8K video, so it's needed for upscaling in an 8K TV. Whether upscaling of to 4K isn't something I can answer. The Android interface works faster on the X950G so that's a plus.
arficus likes this.
post #15 of 16 Old 03-01-2020, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Sony came up with the Ultimate X1 for processing 8K video, so it's needed for upscaling in an 8K TV. Whether upscaling of to 4K isn't something I can answer. The Android interface works faster on the X950G so that's a plus.

I do primarily watch in a darkened room - do you think the frequently mentioned fact that the x950 has lower contrast is significant in real world? So much so that I'd be better off with x900f (and its laggy interface)? I know you can't make definite answer for me, but I don't think anyone in my area has both of these in stock, and if they did, hard for me to imagine getting them side by side, playing 720p in the dark, so just asking for an opinion more informed than mine.
post #16 of 16 Old 03-01-2020, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I do primarily watch in a darkened room - do you think the frequently mentioned fact that the x950 has lower contrast is significant in real world? So much so that I'd be better off with x900f (and its laggy interface)? I know you can't make definite answer for me, but I don't think anyone in my area has both of these in stock, and if they did, hard for me to imagine getting them side by side, playing 720p in the dark, so just asking for an opinion more informed than mine.
The 55" X950G does not have the X-wide angle layer that dramatically reduces the contrast ratio that the 75" and 85" sizes do. So the 55" X950G has very similar black levels to the X900F with only a slightly lower contrast ratio. I doubt you could notice the difference but you'd likely notice the faster Android UI and the better Dolby Vision performance.
arficus likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page