Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by swe_tv View Post
You can find it here

image-us.samsung[DOT]com/SamsungUS/samsung/us/tvs/spec/The_Frame_Spec_Sheet_03042020.pdf

and on the product pages on Samsungs web-page

(I'm not allowed to post links as I am a new member )

Viewing angles are important but they only has to be good enough. The problem is how to find out if they are going to be a problem or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
This TV is advertised for displaying artwork on the wall when not in use as a TV. Viewing angles are critical for artwork since it must look correct from any angle in the room as wall art. What's the point of having art that appears with washed out colors and raised blacks from all areas except directly in front of the screen? Standard VA panel viewing angles are terrible and Samsung should have used one of their ultra wide angle "QLEDs" for this model.
The viewing angle works well for me since my room is 14' wide and 18' long and extends further though the kitchen. Conversely, if you have a wide room and have seating close to the TV off to the side, then this isn't the TV for you.

The Frame carries a premium price due to the specialized bezel, no-gap wall mount, One Connect Box with cable, and the Art Mode capabilities, so I would guess that upgrading to a Q80T panel would increase the price by $350-$500 for a 65" over the current 2020 Frame models. Not sure if that would have priced me out of a Frame originally, but in retrospect, I would pay the extra now for an upgraded panel with better viewing angles.

That being said, the illusion of Art Mode is excellent during daytime and in a more brightly lit room, and despite the fading at angles, it still looks way better than a black rectangle or Ambient Mode, which is better suited to a hotel lobby rather than blending into home décor, which is what you'd get with a current Q80T/Q90T. If you're expecting to be fooled into believing you're looking at a painting from any angle, distance, or lighting, you will be disappointed, but I am impressed every day with how much it looks like art vs. a backlit TV picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 59 Old 06-08-2020, 11:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the replys.

Just to be clear, I would love to have a frame TV with really good viewing angles. The problem is that they aren't there yet. I need to buy a new TV this autumn / winter and i will buy the Frame as long as it is good enough for now. I will probably change to a newer model in the fututre when they have adressed the problem with the poor viewing angles.

Has anybody done a comparison of the 2020-models with / without "wide viewing angles"? (50" or below vs 55" or higher). The stores in my town only has 55" for display. ...probably for a reason?

post #33 of 59 Old 06-12-2020, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 406
As promised:

This is a 43" The Frame 2020 with a FrameMyTV Deco TV Frame in Contemporary Bronze. I'm pretty happy with how the system refresh turned out.
frisbfreek likes this.

Main System: Vizio P70 4K TV. JBL Synthesis HDI-3800, HDI-4500, HDI-1600. KEF Q50a, Mirage BPS 400. Denon AVR-X3700H Receiver. XBOX One S. Zappiti Mini 4K HDR. GIK 242 Panels, Tri Traps, Monster Bass Trap, Control4 Desktop: Dynaudio BM6A mkII. Paradigm SUB10 w/ PBK. Cambridge DACMagic+ DAC. GIK 242 Panels, Monster Bass Trap Master Bedroom: Vizio M55 4K HDR/DV. BG Radia In-Wall/Ceiling Speakers (5.2.2). NAD T758v3 Receiver, Control4 Patio: Definitive Technology AW6500, NAD CI720, Control4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 59 Old 06-23-2020, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

2020 QLED Firmware 1301.5 - FILMMAKER Mode

I downloaded and installed the new firmware at lunch and the only new function I've seen with a quick review on my 65" Frame is the addition of Filmmaker Mode.

According to the online user guide, Filmmaker Mode will turn on automatically for content flagged as such, but it appears to have an overall positive effect for general SDR and HDR when manually switching to it. If anyone knows of any content that has the trigger (or of any other significant improvements/updates) please post it here.

As for the rest of the update, only the same, generic release notes were provided:

- Model : Q950T, Q900T, Q850T, Q800T, Q90T, Q80T, Q8DT, Q70T, Q7DT, LS03T, LS01T
- Version : 1301.5
- Improved usability 1. Improved picture quality 2. Improved browser performance 3. Improved app performance 4. Improved stability 5. Improved usability of input devices
post #35 of 59 Old 06-24-2020, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 155
How do you set Ambient mode to come on when you power off ? TV insists on going into Art mode. Can’t find a setting to change this to Ambient
post #36 of 59 Old 06-25-2020, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
How do you set Ambient mode to come on when you power off ? TV insists on going into Art mode. Can’t find a setting to change this to Ambient
As far as I know, the remote buttons can't be configured. If you want the TV to go into Ambient Mode, then you need to use the menu on the TV or the SmartThings app. As an alternative, maybe you can buy a remote with an Ambient Mode button that was designed for a Q70/80/90.
post #37 of 59 Old 06-25-2020, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm confused about the use of the OneConnect box. Isn't the whole point of the frame to have this flush to the wall looking like a piece of art? I'm going to have my recessed cable mount installed right behind the TV and now I have to figure out where to stick this "one connect" box? Please help.
post #38 of 59 Old 06-25-2020, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mits mania View Post
I'm confused about the use of the OneConnect box. Isn't the whole point of the frame to have this flush to the wall looking like a piece of art? I'm going to have my recessed cable mount installed right behind the TV and now I have to figure out where to stick this "one connect" box? Please help.
The objective of the OneConnect Box is to eliminate the need to run power and a whole bunch of cables to the back of the TV. Everything plugs into the OneConnect Box, which you can hide away next to your Blu-ray player, cable/satellite box, game system, streaming device, etc. There's no need for a recessed cable mount behind the TV as there is only a single thin, long cable that runs to the TV with all of the video signals and power.

Here's a video showing installation.
post #39 of 59 Old 06-25-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstan99 View Post
The objective of the OneConnect Box is to eliminate the need to run power and a whole bunch of cables to the back of the TV. Everything plugs into the OneConnect Box, which you can hide away next to your Blu-ray player, cable/satellite box, game system, streaming device, etc. There's no need for a recessed cable mount behind the TV as there is only a single thin, long cable that runs to the TV with all of the video signals and power.

Here's a video showing installation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxgMN0IRYn8
Yes, but then you have a box on the floor or on the shelf. I want a 100% clean install, which I can do with a regular TV because my cables all come out of a recessed box at the height of the TV.
post #40 of 59 Old 06-25-2020, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Shut down in TV Mode and restart in Art Mode.

Can anyone that owns this TV tell me if the following is possible?

Have the TV shut down from TV Mode and then turn on the following day into Art Mode via motion detection or light?

I am considering this TV for a bedroom and will often go to sleep with the TV shutting down via a sleep timer. I am hoping that the Frame would then automatically start again the next morning in Art Mode.

I appreciate any insight.
post #41 of 59 Old 06-25-2020, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, but then you have a box on the floor or on the shelf. I want a 100% clean install, which I can do with a regular TV because my cables all come out of a recessed box at the height of the TV.
The Frame wasn't designed for your situation. It works perfectly for my situation exactly as you described it, being "flush to the wall looking like a piece of art", with the benefit of not needing to install a cable mount in the wall to hide power or other connections.

Maybe LG's Gallery would work better for you. The power and connections plug directly into the back of the TV:
post #42 of 59 Old 06-25-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
It strikes me as unusual that a TV that is premised on looking like a clean piece of art includes a separate box that has to be placed somewhere near the TV. In my case, the TV is going to be the only thing on a huge wall that is not near any furniture at all and that seems to be an impossible setup for "The Frame". It should be called "The Frame with the Little Box"
post #43 of 59 Old 06-25-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
It strikes me as unusual that a TV that is premised on looking like a clean piece of art includes a separate box that has to be placed somewhere near the TV. In my case, the TV is going to be the only thing on a huge wall that is not near any furniture at all and that seems to be an impossible setup for "The Frame". It should be called "The Frame with the Little Box"
I think you are witnessing the limits of LED tech that requires a backlight and the desire to get as thin as possible. Unfortunately, there are no OLED TVs on the market that allow the same functionality as the Frame. LGs “Gallery” OLED TV is a misnomer at best. 10 second interval slide show like every other TV on the market.
post #44 of 59 Old 06-25-2020, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
This was my solution for the 65" 2019 The Frame in my living room:

Finished product:

Main System: Vizio P70 4K TV. JBL Synthesis HDI-3800, HDI-4500, HDI-1600. KEF Q50a, Mirage BPS 400. Denon AVR-X3700H Receiver. XBOX One S. Zappiti Mini 4K HDR. GIK 242 Panels, Tri Traps, Monster Bass Trap, Control4 Desktop: Dynaudio BM6A mkII. Paradigm SUB10 w/ PBK. Cambridge DACMagic+ DAC. GIK 242 Panels, Monster Bass Trap Master Bedroom: Vizio M55 4K HDR/DV. BG Radia In-Wall/Ceiling Speakers (5.2.2). NAD T758v3 Receiver, Control4 Patio: Definitive Technology AW6500, NAD CI720, Control4
post #45 of 59 Old 06-25-2020, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbdrb View Post
I think you are witnessing the limits of LED tech that requires a backlight and the desire to get as thin as possible. Unfortunately, there are no OLED TVs on the market that allow the same functionality as the Frame. LGs “Gallery” OLED TV is a misnomer at best. 10 second interval slide show like every other TV on the market.
It's an incredible TV (the LG GX). I'm planning on installing one in my bedroom system. The only reason for the slide show is OLED burn-in.

post #46 of 59 Old 06-25-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick V View Post
It's an incredible TV (the LG GX). I'm planning on installing one in my bedroom system. The only reason for the slide show is OLED burn-in.
I definitely agree that it is a wonderful TV. It just doesn’t do what the Frame can do unfortunately.
post #47 of 59 Old 06-25-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Great install. Exactly what I have planned for the bedroom.

Can you possibly answer my question above? All of the Samsung literature doesn’t seem to address. I understand the Frame can shut down and restart in Art Mode via motion detection and light. I am wondering if it can shut down via sleep timer in TV Mode and then wake up in Art Mode with light detection or motion.
Nick V likes this.
post #48 of 59 Old 06-25-2020, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I definitely agree that it is a wonderful TV. It just doesn’t do what the Frame can do unfortunately.
Agreed. I have 2 Samsung "The Frame" TV's and I love them for what they are. I do wish they used Samsung's higher-end QLED panels though (FALD, better viewing angles and anti-glare coating)

post #49 of 59 Old 06-25-2020, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Great install. Exactly what I have planned for the bedroom.

Can you possibly answer my question above? All of the Samsung literature doesn’t seem to address. I understand the Frame can shut down and restart in Art Mode via motion detection and light. I am wondering if it can shut down via sleep timer in TV Mode and then wake up in Art Mode with light detection or motion.
I use Control4 programming to do something similar, but I can't speak much to the built-in software.

post #50 of 59 Old 06-25-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:

Finished product:
So you basically had your installer build a little dry-wall shelf behind the TV to store everything? I can see that (I have a Tivo mini I would like to hide away, but was willing to forego and just do all streaming is The Frame is just my bedroom TV).
post #51 of 59 Old 06-25-2020, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So you basically had your installer build a little dry-wall shelf behind the TV to store everything? I can see that (I have a Tivo mini I would like to hide away, but was willing to forego and just do all streaming is The Frame is just my bedroom TV).
Not really. I did all the work myself. There was originally just a standard single gang power outlet for the TV flush on the tile wall. I removed that and the metal electrical box behind it.

Then I took some pictures inside the wall and then planned out where the Middle Atlantic Proximity Series 22" x 14" In-Wall Box would be installed. It fits between the studs and is screwed into the studs from the sides of the box. I had to cut the tiles with a diamond tile saw, it wasn't a simple job. It paid off though.

I also fished a Cat6a cable and an active fiber optic HDMI 2.1 cable from the unfinished basement into the box to be as future-ready as possible (the rack with all the gear for this system is in the basement). I'll probably also fish in a multi-mode fiber optic cable as well before the basement gets finished.

Last edited by Nick V; 06-25-2020 at 09:55 PM.
post #52 of 59 Old 06-27-2020, 12:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I use Control4 programming to do something similar, but I can't speak much to the built-in software.

Do you use IR repeater or IP control of the Frame in your control4 system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #53 of 59 Old 06-27-2020, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Do you use IR repeater or IP control of the Frame in your control4 system
I use IP control on "The Frame". The only place I use IR control is for devices that don't support IP control (Telus 4K boxes, Xbox One, Vizio P70 TV)

post #54 of 59 Old 06-28-2020, 12:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I use IP control on "The Frame". The only place I use IR control is for devices that don't support IP control (Telus 4K boxes, Xbox One, Vizio P70 TV)

What driver do you use for Telus 4K set top box ? I have the Arris VIP5602 version of this box, and my control system (Crestron Home) surprisingly doesn’t have an IR driver. My integrator had to build his own by reading the Telus remote, but it doesn’t work perfectly.

Is there a USA equivalent branded box that you use or does control4 actually have Telus 4K box in their database ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #55 of 59 Old 06-30-2020, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What driver do you use for Telus 4K set top box ? I have the Arris VIP5602 version of this box, and my control system (Crestron Home) surprisingly doesn’t have an IR driver. My integrator had to build his own by reading the Telus remote, but it doesn’t work perfectly.

Is there a USA equivalent branded box that you use or does control4 actually have Telus 4K box in their database ?
There's a generic IR driver for the Telus boxes in the Conrol4 driver search. That's the one I'm using. It's not perfect, but I'll tweak it with some additional programming through the remote learning to tighten it up a bit.

post #56 of 59 Old 07-07-2020, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstan99 View Post
With The Frame, you’re paying a premium for the overall form factor, Art Mode, and the included No-gap wall mount and One Connect box. All four of those features made it the choice for my main living area. Depending upon your priorities, you could get a similar spec TV for a lower price or higher spec TV for a similar price in the Q60/70/80 range.
THESE are exactly the reasons I'm looking at this unit. In my mind, there's only a few features that differentiate this from a Q70 or 80. I'm not sure it's worth the premium, and it's got some problems, but I'm quite interested. Have you had any issues?

CJ

Follow my build here: Harvest Ridge Theater

Last edited by carboranadum; 07-07-2020 at 07:03 PM.
post #57 of 59 Old 07-07-2020, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post
THESE are exactly the reasons I'm looking at this unit. In my mind, there's only a few features that differentiate this from a Q70 or 80. I'm not sure it's worht the premium, and it's got some problems, but I'm quite interested. Have you had any issues?

CJ
The only meaningful issues I’ve consistently had are with Art Mode. The iOS SmartThings app will connect to the TV but 20-40% of the time the Art Mode functions will be grayed out. Also, there are times during the day when the Art Mode brightness will revert to the default setting and can’t be dimmed. Both issues usuallyresolve themselves anywhere between a few minutes or an hour or two.

With the most current firmware, there is a new issue where AirPlay and screen mirroring have not been working consistently like they did in previous versions. I need to power the TV off an on again to make it work. Otherwise, it’s been great.

Take a look at the Rtings.com reviews of the 2020 Q70, Q80 and Frame and you’ll be able to compare the capabilities and measurements of all three.
post #58 of 59 Old 07-07-2020, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thank you. I've been reading up on these three units. I have a space that will be greatly enhanced by Art Mode, and I'm now trying to figure out how to run the cable between the head unit and the TV. The cable is not CL2 rated, so I'll need to run some sort of conduit for the cable that comes with the TV. Of course, since I'm doing that, I might as well run 3 HDMI cables and network cable up there in case I need to change out the TV at some point. I already have power to the proposed mounting location.

So, to net/net this out, I'm likely going to spend an extra $500 for the Art Mode, and another day or two running conduit for the future proofing of this device. All because the wife really likes the idea of Art Mode. I've really got to see one of these in person before I go all in.

Thank you for the info.

CJ

post #59 of 59 Old 07-07-2020, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Wonderfully clean install. The Control box is mounted behind the TV...fantastic. Does the stock remote work with the box buried in the wall behind the TV? Is it an RF remote?

CJ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page