Samsung Q90T 4K QLED Hands-On - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 100Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 167 Old 03-31-2020, 09:21 AM
Member
 
Lorderl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dprojector View Post
sure
That quote by ray0414 is from the the 8k thread, and may not apply to the 4k models.

Anyone know actual zone count?
65" = 96
75" = ?
82" = ?


Interested in the 75" myself.

Display: Samsung LN55B650
AVR: Denon 2809ci
Players: OPPO BDP-83 || Streaming: Amazon Fire TV || Kindle Fire HD8
Speakers: Paradigm Studio 20v3 || CC-570v3 || ADP-470v3
Sub: JTR Captivator 2400ULF-10hz
Lorderl is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 167 Old 03-31-2020, 09:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Basically is Q80R with new name, so 96 zones on every size panel....
My guessing.
raf77 is offline  
post #63 of 167 Old 03-31-2020, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
3dprojector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 915
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorderl View Post
That quote by ray0414 is from the the 8k thread, and may not apply to the 4k models.

Anyone know actual zone count?
65" = 96
75" = ?
82" = ?


Interested in the 75" myself.
it will apply to the 4K,just a common sense!
3dprojector is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 167 Old 03-31-2020, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: WI
Posts: 3,296
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2690 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dprojector View Post
it will apply to the 4K,just a common sense!

No... why would you say that...?

Shopping List:
TV: LG CX/GX; Samsung Q90T/Q800T...?
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion ESL X
New24K is offline  
post #65 of 167 Old 03-31-2020, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
3dprojector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 915
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
No... why would you say that...?
because it has been this way all the time,you just go to previous years models and read reviews that tell the zone counts for the 65'' vs lager size.
3dprojector is online now  
post #66 of 167 Old 03-31-2020, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: WI
Posts: 3,296
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2690 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dprojector View Post
because it has been this way all the time,you just go to previous years models and read reviews that tell the zone counts for the 65'' vs lager size.

Incorrect.
ray0414 likes this.

Shopping List:
TV: LG CX/GX; Samsung Q90T/Q800T...?
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion ESL X
New24K is offline  
post #67 of 167 Old 03-31-2020, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
3dprojector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 915
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
Incorrect.
if by chance that you have 2 full-array sets of different size,try the AVS dimming zone count video ,and please,tell me if they have the same number
3dprojector is online now  
post #68 of 167 Old 03-31-2020, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
3dprojector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 915
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
Incorrect.
read this,please:
Quote:
note that this 78-incher has more dimmable zones than its 65-inch sibling.
https://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/ue78...1509234185.htm

Quote:
One area where the TVs differ is in number of local dimming zones, the controllable LED clusters behind the screen. The 65-inch JS9500 has 150 local dimming zones spread behind the screen, while the 78- and 88-inch options have 240 local dimming zones.
https://www.reviewed.com/televisions...-led-tv-review
ray0414 likes this.

Last edited by 3dprojector; 03-31-2020 at 08:51 PM.
3dprojector is online now  
post #69 of 167 Old 03-31-2020, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
ray0414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: michigan
Posts: 17,089
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12883 Post(s)
Liked: 12256
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dprojector View Post
if by chance that you have 2 full-array sets of different size,try the AVS dimming zone count video ,and please,tell me if they have the same number
for the past couple of years, Samsung has been using the same zone number on all sizes. The last time they increased zone count for sizes was the JS9500 and KS9800. Good to see them going back to increasing zone count on larger sizes. Last years 82Q90R performs a lot worse than the 65Q90R, not only does it have the same number of zones despite being way bigger, but it has less leds (3 as opposed to 4/5), but the actual dimming arrangement is worse, it uses more of an elongated rectangle shape instead of small squares.
3dprojector likes this.

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
ray0414 is offline  
post #70 of 167 Old 04-01-2020, 04:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
Coercion Shaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorderl View Post
That quote by ray0414 is from the the 8k thread, and may not apply to the 4k models.

Anyone know actual zone count?
65" = 96
75" = ?
82" = ?


Interested in the 75" myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dprojector View Post
it will apply to the 4K,just a common sense!
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
No... why would you say that...?
There is currently nothing to indicate that there will be more zones on the Q90T between sizes. They are all showing as 16X direct full array.

On the Q800T, the 82" shows 32X direct full array and the others show a 24X direct full array as was mentioned above so that is the case on the 8K set.

Just look at the Samsung site.

EDIT: As shown in below comments, the 82" Q90T shows 20X direct full array.

OLED77C9PUB// 5.1.2 Infinity Reference (RC263 / R162 x4 / SVS PB-1000 / RS152) & Denon x1600 // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro

Last edited by Coercion Shaman; 04-01-2020 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Edited because I was wrong.
Coercion Shaman is online now  
post #71 of 167 Old 04-01-2020, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
3dprojector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 915
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
There is currently nothing to indicate that there will be more zones on the Q90T between sizes. They are all showing as 16X direct full array.

On the Q800T, the 82" shows 32X direct full array and the others show a 24X direct full array as was mentioned above so that is the case on the 8K set.

Just look at the Samsung site.
the 85Q90T has 20X

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisio...qn85q90tafxza/

the 75'' has 16X
https://www.samsung.com/us/televisio...qn75q90tafxza/
3dprojector is online now  
post #72 of 167 Old 04-01-2020, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
Coercion Shaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dprojector View Post
You are correct. I missed that. I am certain it didn't read that way initially, but it does now.

Apologies and good catch.
3dprojector likes this.

OLED77C9PUB// 5.1.2 Infinity Reference (RC263 / R162 x4 / SVS PB-1000 / RS152) & Denon x1600 // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
Coercion Shaman is online now  
post #73 of 167 Old 04-14-2020, 07:08 PM
Newbie
 
cchou11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dprojector View Post
Can anyone please explain how this Direct Fully Array numerical index listed on every Samsung QLED TV spec relates to the real local dimming zone count?
One thing I don't understand is the 2019 Q90R spec says Direct Full Array 16X and people say it has 480 zones, while the 2020 Q90T spec also says 16X(20X for 85"), but people say it has much fewer zones. Are those two things completely irrelevant or I miss something here?
cchou11 is offline  
post #74 of 167 Old 04-14-2020, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
3dprojector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 915
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchou11 View Post
Can anyone please explain how this Direct Fully Array numerical index listed on every Samsung QLED TV spec relates to the real local dimming zone count?
One thing I don't understand is the 2019 Q90R spec says Direct Full Array 16X and people say it has 480 zones, while the 2020 Q90T spec also says 16X(20X for 85"), but people say it has much fewer zones. Are those two things completely irrelevant or I miss something here?
I guess it just indicates that the size has more zones,but doesn't represent any specific number
3dprojector is online now  
post #75 of 167 Old 04-14-2020, 10:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchou11 View Post
Can anyone please explain how this Direct Fully Array numerical index listed on every Samsung QLED TV spec relates to the real local dimming zone count?

One thing I don't understand is the 2019 Q90R spec says Direct Full Array 16X and people say it has 480 zones, while the 2020 Q90T spec also says 16X(20X for 85"), but people say it has much fewer zones. Are those two things completely irrelevant or I miss something here?
I think Samsung is doing intentional misinformation in this case.
raf77 is offline  
post #76 of 167 Old 04-15-2020, 07:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 408
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Vincent from HDTVTest did a review on the Q80T (rebranded Q70r) and he said 50 zones, and it actually seems better?


I am still holding out between LG CX and Q90T to replace my Q8FN, but i dont see how the Q90T will outperform the OLED?
SlackerX likes this.

LG 65CX l 2019 NVIDIA Shield Pro l PS4 Pro l Nintendo Switch
saiyanzzrage is offline  
post #77 of 167 Old 04-15-2020, 12:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Don’t forget that the 90T version has one HDMI 2.1 port that is full bandwidth, the 90R did not have and as someone who plans on getting a PS5 or Xbox Series X, this is a huge selling point!
Zooiez123 is online now  
post #78 of 167 Old 04-15-2020, 12:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 408
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooiez123 View Post
Don’t forget that the 90T version has one HDMI 2.1 port that is full bandwidth, the 90R did not have and as someone who plans on getting a PS5 or Xbox Series X, this is a huge selling point!
yeah but the q90t is going to have about 96 local dimming zones vs 480 in the q90r. I cant see the q90t keeping pace?
saiyanzzrage is offline  
post #79 of 167 Old 04-15-2020, 12:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I do not know how but according to the reviews I have read and watch so far it holds its own very well if not better
Zooiez123 is online now  
post #80 of 167 Old 04-16-2020, 11:28 AM
Member
 
Dan Daigle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Need advice 18Gbps VS 48Gbps

Hello my friends, I have just bought a Samsung 65" Q90T qled tv and a Sony DN-1080 AV receiver and need to replace my HDMI cables. I also have an Xbox one S and will be getting the new Xbox series x this fall. The Q90T doesn't support full hdmi 2.1 but some features like Earc is supported. Sony also supports earc. My question is do I need the faster hdmi for this set up? I was going to buy the Audioquest forest hdmi that does 18Gbps (was getting a good deal) but right now they don't have any faster hdmi. I know cheaper hdmi like Monoprice will probably do the same job... But my real question is should I go with the 18 or will I be loosing out on some things like 120fps. Should I go with the 48Gbps? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Dan Daigle is online now  
post #81 of 167 Old 04-16-2020, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
3dprojector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 915
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Daigle View Post
Need advice 18Gbps VS 48Gbps

Hello my friends, I have just bought a Samsung 65" Q90T qled tv and a Sony DN-1080 AV receiver and need to replace my HDMI cables. I also have an Xbox one S and will be getting the new Xbox series x this fall. The Q90T doesn't support full hdmi 2.1 but some features like Earc is supported. Sony also supports earc. My question is do I need the faster hdmi for this set up? I was going to buy the Audioquest forest hdmi that does 18Gbps (was getting a good deal) but right now they don't have any faster hdmi. I know cheaper hdmi like Monoprice will probably do the same job... But my real question is should I go with the 18 or will I be loosing out on some things like 120fps. Should I go with the 48Gbps? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
buy your self a peace of mind,and get the 2.1,it's no big deal of $ to worry about,why go for older version when you can get the newer for the same money!
3dprojector is online now  
post #82 of 167 Old 04-16-2020, 11:44 AM
Senior Member
 
eelpout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: CA
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by saiyanzzrage View Post
yeah but the q90t is going to have about 96 local dimming zones vs 480 in the q90r. I cant see the q90t keeping pace?
if you watch Vincent's Q80T review, you can see that they've improved their algorithms and now better recognize content to keep things in check. This scene Vincent often uses to show blooming, has a good example of this.

(and this Q80T only has 48 zones)


though not perfect if you look at this scene. Starfields of course will still not be OLED-like and trip it up, but overall it works pretty well and seems to be an improvement over last year.


Last edited by eelpout; 04-16-2020 at 11:55 AM.
eelpout is offline  
post #83 of 167 Old 04-16-2020, 11:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 408
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Found these 2 reviews where they directly compare the Q90T to the Q90R. If they are to be believed, it seems it is an improvement, with substantially less dimming zones. I am still on the fence about a 65CX or 65Q90T to replace my Q8FN. As much as I want an oled, in the back of my mind the lower peak brightness of the oled may disappoint me...

https://hdguru.com/review-samsung-qn...-buck-in-2020/

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/samsung-qe65q95t

LG 65CX l 2019 NVIDIA Shield Pro l PS4 Pro l Nintendo Switch
saiyanzzrage is offline  
post #84 of 167 Old 04-16-2020, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
3dprojector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 915
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by saiyanzzrage View Post
Found these 2 reviews where they directly compare the Q90T to the Q90R. If they are to be believed, it seems it is an improvement, with substantially less dimming zones. I am still on the fence about a 65CX or 65Q90T to replace my Q8FN. As much as I want an oled, in the back of my mind the lower peak brightness of the oled may disappoint me...

https://hdguru.com/review-samsung-qn...-buck-in-2020/

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/samsung-qe65q95t
number of dimming zones is always better,but better and more precise dimming control is the best,if we can recall the sony XBR-75X940D,it outperformed other brands with double zone counts than the sony has.
property33 likes this.
3dprojector is online now  
post #85 of 167 Old 04-16-2020, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
denpom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,871
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1402 Post(s)
Liked: 1222
Quote:
Originally Posted by eelpout View Post
if you watch Vincent's Q80T review, you can see that they've improved their algorithms and now better recognize content to keep things in check. This scene Vincent often uses to show blooming, has a good example of this.
[/url]
refer to the official Q80T thread please. US and EU Q80T are very different TVs (and there's no any kind of backlight fluctuation or blooming in that Gravity scene either, at least with US Q80T model at hand).

Last edited by denpom; 04-16-2020 at 12:43 PM.
denpom is online now  
post #86 of 167 Old 04-16-2020, 01:51 PM
Senior Member
 
st_o_p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by saiyanzzrage View Post
Found these 2 reviews where they directly compare the Q90T to the Q90R. If they are to be believed, it seems it is an improvement, with substantially less dimming zones. I am still on the fence about a 65CX or 65Q90T to replace my Q8FN. As much as I want an oled, in the back of my mind the lower peak brightness of the oled may disappoint me...

https://hdguru.com/review-samsung-qn...-buck-in-2020/

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/samsung-qe65q95t

The 2nd review is for Q95T - a model available in Europe but not in the US.
And don't tell me how in the US the same is branded as Q90T because it is simply not true. The Q95T has OneBox and the Q90T does not.
st_o_p is offline  
post #87 of 167 Old 04-16-2020, 01:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by denpom View Post
refer to the official Q80T thread please. US and EU Q80T are very different TVs (and there's no any kind of backlight fluctuation or blooming in that Gravity scene either, at least with US Q80T model at hand).
What's different, actually?
raf77 is offline  
post #88 of 167 Old 04-16-2020, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
denpom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,871
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1402 Post(s)
Liked: 1222
Quote:
Originally Posted by raf77 View Post
What's different, actually?
this thread is about Q90T, not sure why people keep on posting stuff about Q80T here.

see: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...rice-talk.html
denpom is online now  
post #89 of 167 Old 04-16-2020, 02:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by denpom View Post
this thread is about Q90T, not sure why people keep on posting stuff about Q80T here.



see: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...rice-talk.html
Ok, but you said here, " q80t for US and for UE are different".
What's differences?

Or, what's differences between q90t for US and for UE?

Last edited by raf77; 04-16-2020 at 02:54 PM.
raf77 is offline  
post #90 of 167 Old 04-16-2020, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
denpom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,871
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1402 Post(s)
Liked: 1222
Quote:
Originally Posted by raf77 View Post
Ok, but you said here, " q80t for US and for UE are different".
What's differences?
it's all in the Q80T thread, please read.

i have no knowledge about Q90T.
denpom is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
4k tv , q90t , qled , Samsung

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off