Samsung LNT4665 Onkyo HT-R520 receiver sound shuts off - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-16-2020, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Samsung LNT4665 Onkyo HT-R520 receiver sound shuts off

My Samsung LNT4665FX's sound shuts off. I have the sound output to a stereo receiver. I can watch an hour show and most of the time will have to cycle the TV's power 2 or 3 times. I have tried 2 other stereo receivers with the same result. This happens on the electrical audio outputs as well as the optical. I am unable to change sound back to the TV's speakers as the "Sound Select" option in the menu is grayed out. Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-18-2020, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2445 Post(s)
Liked: 4783
Let's try a couple of things.

First, disconnect all HDMI connections from the set. Tune to a local station via antenna, or use component inputs with anything you have that has component outputs. We're taking the set's CRC functions out of the loop. Also, disconnect any audio output cabling.

With no HDMI connections, see if the speaker selection is still grayed out.

If the speaker selection comes back, you need to go into your menus and disable CRC. If it doesn't come back, you're likely looking at a firmware or motherboard issue.

From searching this board, I'm seeing a lot of similar HDMI issues all related to firmware. It's an old set and firmware updates may no longer be available. If the above tests don't work, list your firmware and/or search Samsung's support site to see if a new version is (still) available.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-24-2020, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Cool Samsung LNT4665 Onkyo HT-R520 receiver sound shuts off

Thank you DrDon for your help. I have been streaming all of my content for the last year. I finally installed an antenna and while scanning for channels, my internal speakers became the default. I now lose my antenna channels sound in the same manner as I did my HDMI input. I've been trying to find a viable source for a firmware update but , so far, all the posts with links to the firmware seem to be outdated. So, I'll keep up the hunt. Thank your for your guidance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page