Decision time..Samsung Q70 or Sony X900F - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #1 of 33 Old 03-22-2020, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Decision time..Samsung Q70 or Sony X900F

I have finally narrowed my choice down to either the 65" Q70 or the 65" X900F both of which are in my price range.
If I keep reading about each one either my head is going to explode or I won't buy a new tv. So for one last shot, all advice is appreciated. My viewing runs the entire gamut, broadcast shows, movies, and sports..no gaming so that's not a consideration. Please help me FINALLY come to a decision..I've seen both in the stores and really can't see much difference between them. Price wise they are the same, but Costco is selling the Samsung with a 5yr. manufacturers warranty, whereas if I went with the Sony from Best Buy(Costco doesn't carry it) I'd have to spend another $295 for their Geek Squad 5yr. plan.

So please give me your thoughts, experiences, recommendations, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 03-22-2020, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve bleyen View Post
I have finally narrowed my choice down to either the 65" Q70 or the 65" X900F both of which are in my price range.
If I keep reading about each one either my head is going to explode or I won't buy a new tv. So for one last shot, all advice is appreciated. My viewing runs the entire gamut, broadcast shows, movies, and sports..no gaming so that's not a consideration. Please help me FINALLY come to a decision..I've seen both in the stores and really can't see much difference between them. Price wise they are the same, but Costco is selling the Samsung with a 5yr. manufacturers warranty, whereas if I went with the Sony from Best Buy(Costco doesn't carry it) I'd have to spend another $295 for their Geek Squad 5yr. plan.

Had the q90.950g and the 900f in house for over 3 weeks each. The motion handling on the Sony’s was far and away better than the Samsung. Found the black level, contrast, colors and brightness better tan the 950g abs on par with the Samsung. Although the Samsung seemed to crush blacks. The angle viewing was non compete, each set in my u shaped seating provided great PQ from an angle. I do not game heavily (golf) but stream from an Xbox and an Apple TV. The apps on the 900f are wonky and if you plan on using the internal apps the 900f stinks in that department.

We ultimately chose to keep the 900f for better PQ and motion handling. Sine I stream using other devices, the wonky ness of the appa was not a consideration. The geek squad warranty is high priced and there are better warranties out there.

My recommendation would be the 900f. Pm with any questions.

Terry
d-rail34 likes this.
post #3 of 33 Old 03-22-2020, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 1360
I second the rec for the 900F. Out of all of the research that I've done, this one just seems to check all of the boxes for me. The main thing that I was looking for was exactly what @wpwj40e mentioned with it having the best PQ/Motion handling, and in it's price point it's a no brainer. I'm a sports junkie, so motion control is a huge factor for me, and the 900F is what kept being brought up...plus, with it still being sold now that the 2020 models are being released, the prices are gonna be hard to beat.

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." - Tyler Durden

Living Room - Denon AVR-X2400H/MiniDSP 2X4HD/Hsu Research HB-1 Bookshelf (4) w/HC-1 Center/SVS PB12 Plus (1)/Samsung UN65H7150/Sony UBP-X800/PC Built by D-Rail/XBox One S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 03-23-2020, 01:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked: 1187
900F, but get an external streaming device like the new nvidia shield pro.

PQ of the Sony is superior in terms of accuracy (not even close), and also at least has Dolby Vision support.
wpwj40e and d-rail34 like this.

Sony XBR-77A9G / Panasonic DP-UB9000 / Marantz SR7011 / SVS PB-4000 / Def Tech 9060 Series
post #5 of 33 Old 03-23-2020, 03:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1622 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Rtings actually rates the motion control on the Q70R slightly better than the X900F. Either is a good choice IMO.

Sony X900F vs. Samsung Q70R
post #6 of 33 Old 03-23-2020, 05:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 245
The Q70. The letterbox bars in movies won't suffer from bloom as much as the 900F.
post #7 of 33 Old 03-23-2020, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Depending on the room, the 900F gets a bit brighter and handles reflections a bit better. That could certainly put the X900F as the better choice.

Assuming you aren't getting a calibration, the 900F will have much more accurate color out of the box if that matters to you and follows the EOTF a little better.

The 900F has a significantly better gradient.

If you are aren't watching in complete darkness, the blooming others talk about is a non issue.

I personally don't care what anyone else says in regards to motion. I have owned both Samsung and Sony, and I think the motion handling is noticeably better on the Sony even if a raw simplistic number shows them both the same.

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
post #8 of 33 Old 03-23-2020, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
Depending on the room, the 900F gets a bit brighter and handles reflections a bit better. That could certainly put the X900F as the better choice.

Assuming you aren't getting a calibration, the 900F will have much more accurate color out of the box if that matters to you and follows the EOTF a little better.

The 900F has a significantly better gradient.

If you are aren't watching in complete darkness, the blooming others talk about is a non issue.

I personally don't care what anyone else says in regards to motion. I have owned both Samsung and Sony, and I think the motion handling is noticeably better on the Sony even if a raw simplistic number shows them both the same.
Odd that you cite characteristics where the raw simplistic numbers for brightness, reflection, color accuracy and gradient are in Sony's favor, but at the same time reject the raw simplistic number that favors Samsung. Personally, I don't think the OP should care as much about Rtings numbers or anecdotal reports from owners as much as basing the decision on their own visual comparison. Especially with motion, which some are very sensitive to and others not so much. I only provided the Rtings comparison because in the past Sony was superior in both motion and upscaling, but that advantage has mostly disappeared over the past few years. With both LG and Samsung improving in both areas.

To repeat, either is a good choice IMO. If it were me, and I liked the X900F better, I'd be inclined to wait a bit for the X900H to become available. In addition to the addition of HDMI 2.1 and VRR, the newer processor will run the Android UI much smoother and faster. No need to consider Samsung's 2020 offerings as each model is a step back from the 2019 equivalents.
post #9 of 33 Old 03-23-2020, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
Odd that you cite characteristics where the raw simplistic numbers for brightness, reflection, color accuracy and gradient are in Sony's favor, but at the same time reject the raw simplistic number that favors Samsung. Personally, I don't think the OP should care as much about Rtings numbers or anecdotal reports from owners as much as basing the decision on their own visual comparison. Especially with motion, which some are very sensitive to and others not so much. I only provided the Rtings comparison because in the past Sony was superior in both motion and upscaling, but that advantage has mostly disappeared over the past few years. With both LG and Samsung improving in both areas.

To repeat, either is a good choice IMO. If it were me, and I liked the X900F better, I'd be inclined to wait a bit for the X900H to become available. In addition to the addition of HDMI 2.1 and VRR, the newer processor will run the Android UI much smoother and faster. No need to consider Samsung's 2020 offerings as each model is a step back from the 2019 equivalents.
Brightness and color accuracy aren't subjective, though. They are a raw measurement. And gradient is readily apparent, and can be somewhat quantified. Motion handling is subjective. And I agree that they are better in the LG and Samsung than the past, but my last purchase came down to Sony because of the differences I could still see (which is why I made personally bold).

In the end, I wholly agree that the OP has to make a decision and be happy. And specific reviews/numbers aren't wholly enough. Plenty of folks I work with by the cheapest they can and are completely happy with sets I couldn't watch every day. They would also never come on this type of forum for research and discussion. The OP did ask for an opinion.

In general, yes, both are decent options. I never said not to buy the Samsung (and the 5 year warranty is very nice), I simply offered my opinion.

I would assume the current prices are a factor for the OP as opposed to waiting on the X900H based on his initial statement? The new SoC should be better, but the HDMI 2.1 probably won't matter for him since he doesn't game.

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
post #10 of 33 Old 03-23-2020, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

I really appreciate all the comments I've gotten so far. It seems the Sony is winning out which was where I was slightly leaning. I would love to wait for the 2020 sets, but I really want to stay in the current price range for both sets($1199). A couple more questions....
1. Reliability...is one better than the other?
2. Someone said there are better extended warranties than Geek Squad, like Square Trade?

It's just so difficult to really see the differences looking at the displays in the stores, so it's great to get these in home experience comments.

Thank you all.....and please keep up the comments.
post #11 of 33 Old 03-23-2020, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Make it easy on yourself...blame it on corona and the current crazy environment...Q70 eliminates pricey warranty plan and you gotta watch your money closely because the world is crazier now....Sony and Samsung buyers tend to like different things as and the fact that you don't see much difference tells me you'll be happy with either.....so make it a money decision

If they are close in price overall with warranty included, go with Sony (full disclosure I am a more of Sony guy so take that for what its worth) although I think dark room favors Q70 due to greater contrast

Last edited by movingonup; 03-23-2020 at 07:29 AM.
post #12 of 33 Old 03-23-2020, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

For HDR and brightness 900f is a better TV. Black level, uniformity and Overall PQ Samsung is superior.
My 75" 900F could not even compete with my Samsung RU8000 let alone Q70r. Sony's full array produced blooming even in low setting and still active in high setting falls behind in CR compared to Samsung. Gaming Samsung has better response time as well.

It is all about quality. That is the picture
Sony 75" X900F, Samsung 65" MU8000, Nec 8" LC CRT pj, DLP pj, 12' screen media room
post #13 of 33 Old 03-23-2020, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I would assume the current prices are a factor for the OP as opposed to waiting on the X900H based on his initial statement? The new SoC should be better, but the HDMI 2.1 probably won't matter for him since he doesn't game.
I really think the X900F is getting a bit "long in the tooth". The slow Android interface is quite annoying and it improves significantly with a faster processor, as it did with the X950G. Since the smaller sizes of the X950G don't have the X Wide angle layer that lowers the contrast, I'd just go for one of them if I preferred Sony over Samsung. But they are a bit more expensive at the moment.
post #14 of 33 Old 03-24-2020, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 49
900F gets my vote, so easy spending other people's money.

Got one in 85 myself. Longevity I'd lead with the Sony, but I'm talkin from inexperience. I know sammys had a long run with bad capacitors at one time.

Cheers
post #15 of 33 Old 03-24-2020, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioguy1 View Post
900F gets my vote, so easy spending other people's money.

Got one in 85 myself. Longevity I'd lead with the Sony, but I'm talkin from inexperience. I know sammys had a long run with bad capacitors at one time.

Cheers

And WiFi crapping out in my experience with Sammy Plasmas and low tier 5 Series models

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #16 of 33 Old 03-24-2020, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Brightness and color accuracy aren't subjective, though. They are a raw measurement. And gradient is readily apparent, and can be somewhat quantified. Motion handling is subjective. And I agree that they are better in the LG and Samsung than the past, but my last purchase came down to Sony because of the differences I could still see (which is why I made personally bold).

In the end, I wholly agree that the OP has to make a decision and be happy. And specific reviews/numbers aren't wholly enough. Plenty of folks I work with by the cheapest they can and are completely happy with sets I couldn't watch every day. They would also never come on this type of forum for research and discussion. The OP did ask for an opinion.

In general, yes, both are decent options. I never said not to buy the Samsung (and the 5 year warranty is very nice), I simply offered my opinion.

The thing with the 900H is that it uses an older X1 processor vs the X1 Extreme in the 900F.

Ascend Sierra-2 LCR
Ascend HTM-200 Surrounds
Rythmic E15HP
Anthem MRX-300
Samsung HU8550
post #17 of 33 Old 03-24-2020, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Code:
v
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucacow View Post
And WiFi crapping out in my experience with Sammy Plasmas and low tier 5 Series models

So...another vote for the 900???

Get er while she's hot Steevo, eeelectronics goin' up, up, up.

No worries on Coronavirus from Canada Steve, won't last long...made in China!

Best!
post #18 of 33 Old 03-24-2020, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade. View Post
The thing with the 900H is that it uses an older X1 processor vs the X1 Extreme in the 900F.

Certainly brings up questions about how it may perform. Is it really the original X1 processor or an updated one?

post #19 of 33 Old 03-24-2020, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidwelr1 View Post
Certainly brings up questions about how it may perform. Is it really the original X1 processor or an updated one?

Seeing how the X1 Extreme was the upgraded one, I believe it’s the original.

Ascend Sierra-2 LCR
Ascend HTM-200 Surrounds
Rythmic E15HP
Anthem MRX-300
Samsung HU8550
post #20 of 33 Old 03-24-2020, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade. View Post
Seeing how the X1 Extreme was the upgraded one, I believe it’s the original.

If that is the case, it just confirms that Sony and Samsung have completely jumped to 8k as their priority which many have been saying already.

post #21 of 33 Old 03-24-2020, 09:02 PM

Quote:
If that is the case, it just confirms that Sony and Samsung have completely jumped to 8k as their priority which many have been saying already.

Still the Sony 900F and 950G are amazing TVs

Ascend Sierra-2 LCR
Ascend HTM-200 Surrounds
Rythmic E15HP
Anthem MRX-300
Samsung HU8550
post #22 of 33 Old 03-25-2020, 04:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

We will know soon if it is the original or not.

post #23 of 33 Old 03-25-2020, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I had the same decision a couple of months ago. Either the Q70 & it's 5 yr warranty from Costco, or go to Best Buy and get 900F + extended warranty. I decided the easiest thing to do is get the Q70 from Costco and take advantage of their 90 return policy. So far, so good with the Q70, but still have until early May to return it.
post #24 of 33 Old 03-25-2020, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastacow53 View Post
I had the same decision a couple of months ago. Either the Q70 & it's 5 yr warranty from Costco, or go to Best Buy and get 900F + extended warranty. I decided the easiest thing to do is get the Q70 from Costco and take advantage of their 90 return policy. So far, so good with the Q70, but still have until early May to return it.
So obviously you looked at both...was it just the warranty and return policy the resason you went with Samsung? That is, did you find everything else, picture quality, etc. equal?
post #25 of 33 Old 03-25-2020, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
So obviously you looked at both...was it just the warranty and return policy the resason you went with Samsung? That is, did you find everything else, picture quality, etc. equal?
I looked at both, but it's hard to tell one from another in the stores. I just considered those two because of rtings.com and post on this forum. I went the Costco route because it's just one purchase, no extra warranty to buy and Costco is great with returns.

I came to the Q70 from a 13 yr old JVC, so I'm no picture quality expert.
post #26 of 33 Old 03-25-2020, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaspianM View Post
Quote:

For HDR and brightness 900f is a better TV. Black level, uniformity and Overall PQ Samsung is superior.
My 75" 900F could not even compete with my Samsung RU8000 let alone Q70r. Sony's full array produced blooming even in low setting and still active in high setting falls behind in CR compared to Samsung. Gaming Samsung has better response time as well.
The 900F is better at HDR? It scored lower for HDR movies and HDR gaming at Rtings compared to the Q70.
post #27 of 33 Old 03-25-2020, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
I have a 65" 900F and I am very happy with it. I was coming form a 50" Panasonic plasma and I don't see any major downsides in the Sony. Sure there are differences I can see but that is to be expected. The larger size is very nice and the picture quality is great. I was between this and the 950G. The only reason I had thought about the 950G was for the HDMI 2.0 full bandwith on all HDMI ports and the better processor for the internal apps as well. But I haven't had any major issues with the internal apps on my 900F so far.
lucacow likes this.
post #28 of 33 Old 03-25-2020, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 17
OK thanks

It is all about quality. That is the picture
Sony 75" X900F, Samsung 65" MU8000, Nec 8" LC CRT pj, DLP pj, 12' screen media room
post #29 of 33 Old 03-25-2020, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 833 Post(s)
Liked: 376
As someone who did lots of research and finally grabbed the X900F after finding an insane deal on one, I'm really happy! Also, funny how you mention Costco but don't know you can literally buy a SquareTrade from them for only $99 or less and add to any TV purchased anywhere? Anyway, both are great sets, I don't agree that blooming and uniformity is poor on the Sony, I just got the 75" and uniformity is easily a 9/10, amazing for any LED and blooming is pretty easy to control by keeping FALD and other settings turned down. The Sony JUST got an update last night and the built in Android is a little faster and more stable now but if you have any external devices you prefer it's a non-issue... I'd look at them side by side with the compare tool on Rtings HERE, but the Samsung color gamut was amazing on their 2018 models but slid back a bit for 2019, so that Samsung advantage is one that is now gone and all gaming features aside that you don't need, so to me the Sony wins with better HDR highlight brightness. Keep in mind my very late build for a 2018 TV, November 2019, they probably have improved uniformity since Rtings reviewed it, mine is clearly better than their review sample but can still vary... Also, the Samsung doesn't support Dolby Vision or, strangely, not even DTS 5.1 audio over ARC... just some things to keep in mind.
Spencer Wolfe likes this.
post #30 of 33 Old 03-25-2020, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbfree View Post
As someone who did lots of research and finally grabbed the X900F after finding an insane deal on one, I'm really happy! Also, funny how you mention Costco but don't know you can literally buy a SquareTrade from them for only $99 or less and add to any TV purchased anywhere? Anyway, both are great sets, I don't agree that blooming and uniformity is poor on the Sony, I just got the 75" and uniformity is easily a 9/10, amazing for any LED and blooming is pretty easy to control by keeping FALD and other settings turned down. The Sony JUST got an update last night and the built in Android is a little faster and more stable now but if you have any external devices you prefer it's a non-issue... I'd look at them side by side with the compare tool on Rtings HERE, but the Samsung color gamut was amazing on their 2018 models but slid back a bit for 2019, so that Samsung advantage is one that is now gone and all gaming features aside that you don't need, so to me the Sony wins with better HDR highlight brightness. Keep in mind my very late build for a 2018 TV, November 2019, they probably have improved uniformity since Rtings reviewed it, mine is clearly better than their review sample but can still vary... Also, the Samsung doesn't support Dolby Vision or, strangely, not even DTS 5.1 audio over ARC... just some things to keep in mind.
Yeah, but the Q70 supports Dolby Digital+ and lossy Atmos over ARC. So it still sounds good if your only option for watching streaming services is through the TV apps and you have to use ARC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page