Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #1 of 31 Old 03-23-2020, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Where to buy your new TV

I have a P607 which will soon be our secondary TV. Back when I got it the wisdom was to get it from Best Buy as the panel was less likely to be damaged from local delivery. Now that Best Buy is suspending inside delivery - what are people's thoughts? Stick with BB? Probably going to get a TCL 6 series so I know the packaging Go with BH or Amazon? Or is there another option?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 03-23-2020, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by crcostel View Post
I have a P607 which will soon be our secondary TV. Back when I got it the wisdom was to get it from Best Buy as the panel was less likely to be damaged from local delivery. Now that Best Buy is suspending inside delivery - what are people's thoughts? Stick with BB? Probably going to get a TCL 6 series so I know the packaging Go with BH or Amazon? Or is there another option?
If 65” 61x model Costco.
post #3 of 31 Old 03-23-2020, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Buy via online then pick it up at the store...workers will have it at the door, curbside, just like any other TV you buy whether fully open or not.

TV: Sony XBR 65X950G, AVR: Marantz SR5011, Speakers: front/Paradigm Prestige 15B bookshelf, center/Paradigm Prestige 45C, surround/Paradigm Atom, sub/SVS SB3000, DVD: LG UBK 90 UHD DVD Player, Media Player: Zidoo Z9S, Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 03-23-2020, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
Buy via online then pick it up at the store...workers will have it at the door, curbside, just like any other TV you buy whether fully open or not.

Would do that but I have an Elantra and I could never get it home.
post #5 of 31 Old 03-23-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Inside delivery means coming in your house. Right now they won't. They will still deliver to your doorstep though.
post #6 of 31 Old 03-23-2020, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardennj View Post
Inside delivery means coming in your house. Right now they won't. They will still deliver to your doorstep though.

Right - I imagine they will drop it off at my doorstep and leave before I can open the box to check it. That's my issue.
post #7 of 31 Old 03-23-2020, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Right - I imagine they will drop it off at my doorstep and leave before I can open the box to check it. That's my issue.
I cant imagine not making Costco anybody's first choice for buying a new TV. Free shipping, double the factory warranty, 90 day return policy. If you use the Costco Visa card they ad another 2 years to the warranty. Plus you get Costco's tech service.
pilotart, ES_Revenge and Briguy65 like this.
post #8 of 31 Old 03-23-2020, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 256
From member Cleveland Plasma (Chris):

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/membe...nd-plasma.html

I have bought 2 LG OLED's from him and would buy again!
pilotart, sscroggin and nmshah like this.
post #9 of 31 Old 03-23-2020, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Doesn't matter. If it's not working, you can have it returned.

Seems that what you're really asking is if anyone will do inside delivery right now, and most won't. Let us know how it works out.
post #10 of 31 Old 03-23-2020, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thumbs up call chris at cleveland plasma

Delivery by motor freight. Parked on main road, brought down 400ft drive way on 30% grade to the door. Tipped a couple hundred and they unboxed it and quick power up on the floor. Low waged, good people, very thankful for nice tip.
pilotart likes this.
post #11 of 31 Old 03-23-2020, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1623 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
I cant imagine not making Costco anybody's first choice for buying a new TV. Free shipping, double the factory warranty, 90 day return policy. If you use the Costco Visa card they ad another 2 years to the warranty. Plus you get Costco's tech service.
But then you're restricting your choices to what they carry. And usually that means Sony, one of the big 3 major brands, is out. Pick the TV you want, then pick the place to buy it.
post #12 of 31 Old 03-23-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
But then you're restricting your choices to what they carry. And usually that means Sony, one of the big 3 major brands, is out. Pick the TV you want, then pick the place to buy it.
Costco carries a smaller number of models, but they do carry Sony TVs up to 85" models. I know they carry the 850G models in multiple sizes. They carry Samsung, Vizio, TCL, Sony, and LG. What they don't carry is off-brand sets.
post #13 of 31 Old 03-23-2020, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Costco carries a smaller number of models, but they do carry Sony TVs up to 85" models. I know they carry the 850G models in multiple sizes. They carry Samsung, Vizio, TCL, Sony, and LG. What they don't carry is off-brand sets.
Yes they do sell the X850G, Sony's mediocre IPS panel line without local dimming. The 85" X850G is better since it has a VA panel, but still no local dimming for decent HDR. But the in demand VA panel FALD Sony X900F and X950G they don't have. For Samsung, they don't carry the higher end Q80R or Q90R "QLEDS", their top Samsung is the Q70R (warehouse model Q7DR) and they carry some lower end Samsungs. So you're limiting yourself to lower end Samsung and Sony models only. They do have a good selection of LGs, but LG LCDs are mostly low PQ IPS panels. They have LG OLEDs but their prices on those aren't that special. As far as the cheaper Hisense, TCL and Vizio TVs go, they carry those, but I'm not a big fan.

Regarding off brand, they do sell off models that don't show up on manufacturer websites, and that you can't find reviews of.

For whatever it's worth, my advice is to pick the TV you want first, then look for the best place to buy it. If it turns out to be Costco, fine buy it there. If they don't carry what you want, it would be foolish to get a lower end model just because Costco has it rather than to go somewhere else and get the model that you want.
pilotart and fatuglyguy like this.
post #14 of 31 Old 03-23-2020, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 3088
Quote:
Sole Sony model at US Costco is X850G (4)

55", 65", 75" have IPS panel, Edge-lit. 85" has VA panel, Direct-lit.

Samsung (30) no top tier; LG (21) incl. OLEDs; Vizio (6); TCL (3); Hisense (1).

Not the best choices for Sony and Samsung. LG fares better, if you're okay with OLED burn-in possibility. Vizio, TCL, Hisense, a panel lottery trio.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #15 of 31 Old 03-23-2020, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Cool re-call Chris at Cleveland Plasma

@crcostel , I've always loved Costco for their most friendly return policy (90 Days on TV's and most electronics with no-question-asked which gave me a chance to discover how much I enjoyed LG & Vizio). Found best Sony 'Flagship' on their "display" unit which I still enjoy 15 years later.
(KDL40WL135 $1499,99 "Last one = $1200 " and they didn't even have the box.)

Manufacturers can enforce a 'msrp' (actually the 'street price' on authorized dealers which controls advertising and this includes the price tag in the store). This levels price options and even when there's a 'sale' price in effect, it will be identical across Warehouse, Big Box's, local shops, Amazon Prime (but not their re sellers or eBay) and your local audio shop. Manufacturers have no control (or care) for the actual sales price agreeable between buyer and seller.

The box size (and weight) of most popular TV's are a tricky transport without strong help and a suitable vehicle (always obey "this side-up" and handle/unpack with knowledge and care to avoid entering a "screen-lottery").

Your local "Home-Depot" or Lowe's will rent you a suitable vehicle for less than $50 but the Motor Freight (aka "White-Glove" delivery) as mentioned above @vondernostrand is best and (there will be a crew of two) a couple of 'C'-Notes for tips will work wonders. I even got it hung on my existing wall mount which is strictly against normal company rules.

I would not feel right about investigating local displayed TV's to see which looked best without also making (a knowledgeable) offer to buy. This may (likely) be refused by most 'larger' companies but very likely accepted (or countered) by a locally owned shop (and who would you rather rely on support from

Check any sellers BBB ratings for any purchase of this cost to avoid sorrow, but as several have mentioned above: https://www.clevelandav.com/ has the best rep on this site and just like exploring your local display shops is well worth your time to learn from.
Art

edit:> Local Costco had a beautiful Sony OLED on display, best PQ I've ever seen, but it was running a special demo loop. If interested, I'd have to see content I watch first. It was expensive.

Last edited by pilotart; 03-23-2020 at 07:06 PM. Reason: add my Costco 'Sony deal'
post #16 of 31 Old 03-23-2020, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Yes they do sell the X850G, Sony's mediocre IPS panel line without local dimming. The 85" X850G is better since it has a VA panel, but still no local dimming for decent HDR. But the in demand VA panel FALD Sony X900F and X950G they don't have. For Samsung, they don't carry the higher end Q80R or Q90R "QLEDS", their top Samsung is the Q70R (warehouse model Q7DR) and they carry some lower end Samsungs. So you're limiting yourself to lower end Samsung and Sony models only. They do have a good selection of LGs, but LG LCDs are mostly low PQ IPS panels. They have LG OLEDs but their prices on those aren't that special. As far as the cheaper Hisense, TCL and Vizio TVs go, they carry those, but I'm not a big fan.

Regarding off brand, they do sell off models that don't show up on manufacturer websites, and that you can't find reviews of.

For whatever it's worth, my advice is to pick the TV you want first, then look for the best place to buy it. If it turns out to be Costco, fine buy it there. If they don't carry what you want, it would be foolish to get a lower end model just because Costco has it rather than to go somewhere else and get the model that you want.
Costco doesn’t sell much high-end anything. It sells to the middle. The point is if you want a good enough TV at a decent price, they have choices. Manufacturers make special, usually stripped-down sets for sales and door-buster specials for some retailers. Those models usually lack features, but they often do have the same core functions and parts.

While it might be easy to pick the tv you want in theory, the buying reality is most like to buy something they can see/demo or return locally. Just so happens that Costco’s return is exceptional for big-screen TVs that often have quality problems.

Many end up at Costco because the experience at BBY and others just isn’t acceptable. There aren’t as many specialty shops any more.

And yes, buying the almost tier is what a lot of people do. Bet the sales volumes on the mid-tiers is higher than the top-end. And a lot of the top end sets just aren’t pushing the envelope like they used to so the mid-tier sells.
post #17 of 31 Old 03-24-2020, 03:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Costco doesn’t sell much high-end anything. It sells to the middle. The point is if you want a good enough TV at a decent price, they have choices. Manufacturers make special, usually stripped-down sets for sales and door-buster specials for some retailers. Those models usually lack features, but they often do have the same core functions and parts.

While it might be easy to pick the tv you want in theory, the buying reality is most like to buy something they can see/demo or return locally. Just so happens that Costco’s return is exceptional for big-screen TVs that often have quality problems.

Many end up at Costco because the experience at BBY and others just isn’t acceptable. There aren’t as many specialty shops any more.

And yes, buying the almost tier is what a lot of people do. Bet the sales volumes on the mid-tiers is higher than the top-end. And a lot of the top end sets just aren’t pushing the envelope like they used to so the mid-tier sells.
I've never personally returned a TV and don't know anyone outside of this forum who has had to. It's a disease here at AVS. People buy TVs, then test for problems they then can't unsee, and return them. Typical Costco buyers are not videophiles, they buy cheap TVs on sale and only return them if they break. You can see a much wider range of TVs at Best Buy, and then either purchase there, online or even at Costco. I've purchased TVs online from Amazon and Newegg, and in store from Microcenter and Best Buy, so a mix of in store and online purchases. The plasma TVs I bought at Amazon and Best Buy are still working fine after over 10 years of use. My two Samsung LCDs are only 2 and 3 years old but working fine also. I also still have a retired DLP still working since 2005.

As far as mid tier is concerned, the Sony X900F and X950G Costco does not carry are mid tier. Their last high end 4K LCD was the Z9F Master Series. It is odd that Costco and BJs carry OLEDs though. They are high end and not discounted very aggressively at Costco so I wonder how many they actually sell.
post #18 of 31 Old 03-24-2020, 07:16 AM

Quote:
I've never personally returned a TV and don't know anyone outside of this forum who has had to. It's a disease here at AVS. People buy TVs, then test for problems they then can't unsee, and return them. Typical Costco buyers are not videophiles, they buy cheap TVs on sale and only return them if they break. You can see a much wider range of TVs at Best Buy, and then either purchase there, online or even at Costco. I've purchased TVs online from Amazon and Newegg, and in store from Microcenter and Best Buy, so a mix of in store and online purchases. The plasma TVs I bought at Amazon and Best Buy are still working fine after over 10 years of use. My two Samsung LCDs are only 2 and 3 years old but working fine also. I also still have a retired DLP still working since 2005.

As far as mid tier is concerned, the Sony X900F and X950G Costco does not carry are mid tier. Their last high end 4K LCD was the Z9F Master Series. It is odd that Costco and BJs carry OLEDs though. They are high end and not discounted very aggressively at Costco so I wonder how many they actually sell.
Costco rep told me they carry the LGs because LG made a very good deal with them that even when heavily discounted it works out. Fact is the LGs help Costco sell other TVs because they’re the high point price anchor that gets many to settle for something reasonably ok but far less costly. Bam - a direct match for Costco. Costco shopper sees TV at $1500-2000 then LG at $3500 and says I’ll take the other set please.

He also said the LG Oleds sell when they have the occasional discount + included 5 year warranty. Biggest issue with LG also is that there aren’t other Oleds on display or being sold by Costco. That makes the OLED shopper skeptical - why only this? At that, LG didn’t offer the B9 at a great price when it could directly have sold against non-OLED. It’s really an LG issue not Costco.

I’d rate the Costco TV buying experience as pretty good though. They sets I’ve purchased there have never had to be returned. I’ve had to return to other sellers because of storage or delivery issues that led top defects in the TVs like cracks, temperature extreme damage, and broken by the delivery team unloading the product. Returns were always a hassle. Haven’t had to return to Costco myself, but I’ve seen others do it with 0 issues and it was a pretty quick transaction.

If Costco sold the 75” TCL 6 series, they would not have been able to keep them in stock.
post #19 of 31 Old 03-24-2020, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

This is really interesting.

I was leaning toward the R625 since I had such luck with the p607. I did buy a plasma from Costco a long time ago. Do they only carry the 2018 TCLs?

The reason I started the thread was there was talk back then of how Best Buy TVs being transported in mass pallet to the store were in better shape than the drop ship fed ex ones.
post #20 of 31 Old 03-25-2020, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
what about the gray market sellers - silverstarav.com for example?
post #21 of 31 Old 03-25-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
This is really interesting.

I was leaning toward the R625 since I had such luck with the p607. I did buy a plasma from Costco a long time ago. Do they only carry the 2018 TCLs?

The reason I started the thread was there was talk back then of how Best Buy TVs being transported in mass pallet to the store were in better shape than the drop ship fed ex ones.
R625's not available at Costco. At least not that I've ever heard or seen. Costco's model is the R613. Sold out online but still in many stores. I have the 65R613 model. Saw it compared to the 625 and just didn't see enough difference to buy at BestBuy. Would have been happy with either, but I like buying at Costco more in this case. I haven't seen 2019 TCLs at Costco. I'm thinking they'll pick up the 2020 models though because the 2018 and 2019 probably aren't being manufactured in any type of volume any longer.
post #22 of 31 Old 03-25-2020, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
I'm thinking they'll pick up the 2020 models though because the 2018 and 2019 probably aren't being manufactured in any type of volume any longer.
I hope that's true. I want the 75 incher.
post #23 of 31 Old 03-26-2020, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
I hope that's true. I want the 75 incher.
I just hope they carry the 75” in several makers this year. Last year was the year of the 65” TVs. Really all comes down to what the makers are pushing. I’m worried that with the 8k push, 75” will be the main selling size for that Rez because the 85” are probably going to be just out of reach for many buyers. I’ll be shocked if 85” in any models are at Costco. That’s a lot of shelf space and shipping/delivery of those big-uns is going to be a challenge.
post #24 of 31 Old 03-26-2020, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Bought from Amazon, couldn't be happier.

Room 1 Samsung Q8FN 75" TV || Denon X2400H Receiver || Triad InWall/4 Satellites || Triad InRoom Silver/4 Satellites || Triad OmniSub 12
Room 2 Sony X900F 65" TV  || Sony HT-X9000F sound bar
Xbox Live : BoDEAN
post #25 of 31 Old 03-26-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
Bought from Amazon, couldn't be happier.
That's great news. I really wish all the sellers and manufacturers had fewer issues or were much easier to deal with when resolving. Most of us just want a good set, buying experience, and service quality (if needed) in exchange for our money. At least it happens most of the time. I just think forums and online meant for helping guide others through speed bumps often end up being complaint sessions.
post #26 of 31 Old 04-03-2020, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
That's great news. I really wish all the sellers and manufacturers had fewer issues or were much easier to deal with when resolving. Most of us just want a good set, buying experience, and service quality (if needed) in exchange for our money. At least it happens most of the time. I just think forums and online meant for helping guide others through speed bumps often end up being complaint sessions.
I'm likely going to be buying a 75 around black Friday.
And have been doing some research the last couple months trying to decide who to purchase from.
As of NOW it looks like SOLD by Amazon will be my choice,just keeping bringing me another until one arrives undamaged from shipping, and with no panel or other issues.
post #27 of 31 Old 04-03-2020, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghonk View Post
I'm likely going to be buying a 75 around black Friday.
And have been doing some research the last couple months trying to decide who to purchase from.
As of NOW it looks like SOLD by Amazon will be my choice,just keeping bringing me another until one arrives undamaged from shipping, and with no panel or other issues.
Not sure what to make of BF this year. I think as soon as makers get back to production and stores re-open, the time to buy will be sooner rather than later. At that point, there will be ‘18 and ‘19 models that need to go to clear out shelf and inventory space. The ‘20s may have to see introductory price reductions just to get people buying them.

Wouldn’t be surprised if the time to buy is summer and that prices basically stay flat through the end of ‘20. That would leave BF as not the big deal it usually is.

Product has to move or Q2 & Q3 will be the make-break quarters this year.
post #28 of 31 Old 04-03-2020, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 3
in the past 13 years I've purchased 1 panny plasma, through amazon (65 inch z series), and this was a very straight and convenient option with good buyer protection. recently I purchased a 75incher x900f, also through online. I went through Cleveland plasma, and it was a very straight forward transaction as well. it depends on time of the year you are purchasing for deals, whether its mfr discount, or tax discount or shipping discount. I only go to brick and mortar places to compare demo screens and buy accessories these days.

my next tv will also come from Cleveland plasma (but not for several years!). good luck!
post #29 of 31 Old 04-03-2020, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
CostCo because you get an extra year of the manufacturers warranty.

Samsung 65JS850D, Marantz 6010 AVR, Paradigm Studio 60 Mains, Studio 20 Rears, Paradigm CC470 Center, SVS PB2000 Sub, Emotiva XPR-5 Amp. LG47LE8500, Samsung UN55NU800D, Marantz 2240, Yamaha RX-V995, Energy Connoisseur CF-70, Nakamichi DR-3, Panasonic BMP BD55, Audio Tecnica AT-LP120XUSB, Onkyo TX-NR515
post #30 of 31 Old 04-03-2020, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes they do sell the X850G, Sony's mediocre IPS panel line without local dimming. The 85" X850G is better since it has a VA panel, but still no local dimming for decent HDR. But the in demand VA panel FALD Sony X900F and X950G they don't have.
Wow really they never have better ones than than the X800 junk? Costco in Canada carries Sonys all the way up to X950y. Online anyway. In-store is random, but X900s are commonly in store from what I remember. They even have the X950H right now but only the 85 and the 49 so far. But that's the thing Costco [here at least] is totally random. TV will be on the website one day and people will order, then a week or so later it's gone. Then will just randomly appear again sometimes a few weeks later, sometimes 3 months later, sometimes never. And when something goes OOS or not stocked at the moment it doesn't stay on the website it just disappears as if the link were incorrect

Also whether the price is a "great deal" or not a good price at all, is again quite random. They might have it but it might not be a good price.

From what I've read the extended warranty provider we get (Asurion) also has a better rep than Square Trade, but I've never dealt with either myself.

We also get Hisense, and I'm not sure that Costco in US sells any Hisense TVs at all (?) as I've never seen them on costco.com. We are pretty lacking for Vizios though usually only the craptastic D series, along with the mediocre V; sometimes we have the Quantums of various types but from what I've seen the stocking periods for Vizio other than the low-end ones is pretty short. LG OLEDs are a big seller at Costco, though I think that's the case in US too.

Also Canadian prices be Canadian prices, right now we did have a Costco deal on the Quantum P, but it's around the same price (after conversion) as the recent US Costco deal on the PX. Granted there are other times when the pricing is more on par with you guys, and when you're buying a 65"+ set you typically want to keep it local esp. for warranty.

Last edited by ES_Revenge; 04-03-2020 at 12:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page