Redmi Smart TV MAX is a 98" monster on a budget - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mike123abc

post #1 of 10 Old 03-24-2020, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Redmi Smart TV MAX is a 98" monster on a budget

So, how much is it? Not much - the MAX will be available in China starting at 10:00 on April 9 for a price of CNY 20,000 or about $2,835/€2,610. That price is several times lower than most 98" TVs out there. Whether or not the MAX gets a global launch is unknown (but we're not holding our breath).

https://www.mi.com/redmitv/98
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-24-2020, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 368
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It's hard to believe that any manufacturer of LCD screens would release nowadays a 98" model for the price quoted, less than $3K, even Chinese manufacturers.
I did not see on the link provided any mention of msrp, so where did you get that pricing ?

If you are correct, that would be a game changer : at the same time this set is being released Hisense is releasing its 85" model for a little more than $11K, which does not make any sense to me considering that Sony/Samsung, etc are also releasing 85" sets for less than $5K msrp.

Sony XBR-940E, Integra DHC-80.2, Oppo 103, Sound Lab A-1 electrostatic speakers,SVS PC12-NSD subs, InnerSound Electrostatic Amp,, Hafler 220 amp, Harman Kardon PA5800 amp, Pioneer LD-W1, Darbee Darblet, DVDO iScan Mini, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha CR-7, Koss ESP/950, Stax SR-40, Audeze Isine 10, etc, etc.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-24-2020, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 12877 Post(s)
Liked: 12246
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post
It's hard to believe that any manufacturer of LCD screens would release nowadays a 98" model for the price quoted, less than $3K, even Chinese manufacturers.
I did not see on the link provided any mention of msrp, so where did you get that pricing ?

If you are correct, that would be a game changer : at the same time this set is being released Hisense is releasing its 85" model for a little more than $11K, which does not make any sense to me considering that Sony/Samsung, etc are also releasing 85" sets for less than $5K msrp.
The price is right right on it, it sags 19,999 not sure if that's Yen or what.

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-24-2020, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:

Under 3 grand for a 98 “ screen ? Sign me up haha hope I get a job before it’s realeased . oh I cannot get one til I move out unless I use it on a whole basement wall .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 10 Old 03-25-2020, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1373 Post(s)
Liked: 1455
Quote:
Think of the Hisense as direct competition for an OLED of that size, if there even is one. 8K, dual LCD layers, etc, more expensive to make. If it works correctly it should have much better contrast than any other LCD, QLED or not. It's more for the upper-end market than for a Best Buy shopper. And if it makes it here, the price will drop somewhat sooner or later.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #6 of 10 Old 03-25-2020, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plagen View Post
So, how much is it? Not much - the MAX will be available in China starting at 10:00 on April 9 for a price of CNY 20,000 or about $2,835/€2,610. That price is several times lower than most 98" TVs out there. Whether or not the MAX gets a global launch is unknown (but we're not holding our breath).

https://www.mi.com/redmitv/98
Global launch is unlikely, but if it is anything like the couple of Chinese market tv's Linus Tech Tips reviewed you can bet a big part of that price is offset by ads for movies and tv shows you can buy through the tv itself. Not to mention god forbid you hook that thing up to the internet and have it reporting to big brother everything you watch.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-25-2020, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Don't bet on it coming here. Redmi/Xaomi has been making phones that haven't seen US-market sales so it's not a good sign that TVs are going to be sold here.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-25-2020, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 75
This set might not make it here, but it points to TVs this size coming to the US at a lot lower price soon... Sony/Samsung are what $60k MSRP now? I know they are probably much better in PQ than these cheap sets, but will the consumer care if they come in around the $5k mark?
post #9 of 10 Old 03-25-2020, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike123abc View Post
This set might not make it here, but it points to TVs this size coming to the US at a lot lower price soon... Sony/Samsung are what $60k MSRP now? I know they are probably much better in PQ than these cheap sets, but will the consumer care if they come in around the $5k mark?
The REAL question is going to be are the consumers that can realistically FIT a 98" screen in their home even going to consider a cheap Chinese model TV. When you get to home and room sizes that can fit something like a 98" TV and have it look "appropriate" I don't think these are the same people cross shopping low price models. Don't get me wrong everyone likes to save a buck. But at the same time the people looking to buy say a BWM 5 or 7 series, do you think they EVEN considered something like the new Genesis line which will get you say %60 of the BWM's tech and fit and finish but at a huge decrease in price, or a Buick or something like that.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-25-2020, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 75
If it has low input lag and supports 120 FPS, a ton of gamers would buy it... They would not care if it took over the room.
nbk13nw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page