• 2 Post By audio.hobby
  • 1 Post By bk

post #1 of 14 Old 03-26-2020, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Outdoor TV recommendation.

My Old Samsung just died. At least I think so. Only HDMI 2 works but no volume, so its on to something new. I was wondering what would be the best choice for outdoor use. I would like to stick with a lower end model since it is hit and miss with longevity outside. Still would like a warranty though just for piece of mind (warranties on lower priced models are a lot more affordable).

I was also wondering what would be best for outdoor use....IPS or VA? This is a covered area that is attached to a screened -in lanai with a pool. It is on the North side of the house so sunlight isn't much of a problem.

Obviously bigger is better, but I am good with anything between 50" and 65". I have been looking at LG 7 series or Sony 850g (IPS), but don't know if they are bright enough for outside use. Westinghouse WR58UX4019 gets good reviews. TCL, Hisense, and VIZIO are being considered, but I wonder about Full Array outside. One interesting unit I found comes with a Full Array and Roku, the Hisence 55" R7F, but I cannot find any other information out there on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-26-2020, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 337
For outdoor IPS is ideal.. Much better viewing angles and great colors..

2013 Panasonic TX-P42X60E PDP
2013 Panasonic TX-P42STW60 PDP
ST60 Settings: Custom Mode, Contrast 60 = 100nits peak brightness aka Filmmaker Mode, Panel Brightness Medium
Gamma 2.2 or 2.4, Gamma settings: 10% -30, 20% -15, 30% -5, 80% +3
post #3 of 14 Old 03-26-2020, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I installed a Sunbrite veranda 43” 4k outdoor tv full shade on my covered patio.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	129E0B7E-4210-435E-8DF9-B854A73FF9A2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	2701910   Click image for larger version

Name:	93586F07-0EAF-41FD-AC2B-99C2CB6CE5BC.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	2701912  
fatuglyguy likes this.

Home Theater System Denon X8500H, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, Polk RTi A1 Rear Heights, Polk 70RT Middle In-Ceiling, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, JVC DLA-RS1000, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, Panasonic UB9000, Dish Hopper 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 03-26-2020, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 1238
No warranty will cover a TV intended for indoor use when used outside. You should be looking at a TV purpose built for your application if you want it to work well and last outside. Indoor-rated TVs are usually some degree of semi-gloss finish which is bad for outside visibility, plus the vents on the back panels pretty much ensure that they won't hold up to the elements(moisture/dust/bug ingress)/temperature shifts inherent to being outdoors. If direct sunlight exposure is not an issue, then you should check out the Sunbrite Veranda series.

film Sony 65A1E|Sonus faber Liuto, Smart Center, Venere Wall|B&W DB4S|Sony ZA5000ES|UDP 205|UB820
2ch Sonus faber Toy|REL S/5|Sony TA-A1ES|Wadia 321|Sony SCD-777ES|Sony PS-HX500 + Schiit Mani|AQ Niagara 5000
desk Sonus faber Toy monitor|REL T-Zero|Rega Brio|AQ Dragonfly Cobalt/Victoria|Mac mini|AQ PowerQuest 3
living Sony 55X930E|Monitor Audio Silver RX1|Marantz NR1508|Panasonic UB900

Last edited by fatuglyguy; 03-26-2020 at 07:38 PM.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-26-2020, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post
No warranty will cover a TV intended for indoor use when used outside. You should be looking at a TV purpose built for your application if you want it to work well and last outside. Indoor-rated TVs are usually some degree of semi-gloss finish which is bad for outside visibility, plus the vents on the back panels pretty much ensure that they won't hold up to the elements(moisture/dust/bug ingress)/temperature shifts inherent to being outside. If direct sunlight exposure is not an issue, then you should check out the Sunbrite Veranda series.

While that is the optimal solution, they tend to be very expensive. If it is under a roof, you can get away with the brightest cheap set for a while. It won’t last long for the reasons stated above, but if budget is an issue then that’s the way to go.

A bright IPS would be ideal. Otherwise the TCL 6 series from 2018 is fairly inexpensive and the brightest set at that price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 14 Old 03-26-2020, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 57
As for sunbrite prices really aren’t bad for a long term solution.
The veranda series is for full shade area, signature is partial sun area, pro is full sun areas.
The veranda run 43”-75” $1500-$5000 (4k HDR)
The signature run 43”-75” $2800-$10000 (4k HDR)
The Pro run 32”-55” $3300-$5800 (1080)

I’m sure there are other variances and prices...just what I saw from one box store.

Home Theater System Denon X8500H, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, Polk RTi A1 Rear Heights, Polk 70RT Middle In-Ceiling, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, JVC DLA-RS1000, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, Panasonic UB9000, Dish Hopper 3
post #7 of 14 Old 03-27-2020, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 1238
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucacow View Post
While that is the optimal solution, they tend to be very expensive. If it is under a roof, you can get away with the brightest cheap set for a while. It won’t last long for the reasons stated above, but if budget is an issue then that’s the way to go.
I don't know, seems like in the long run, going through regular TVs -- having to unmount, remount, dispose of/recycle, and replace potentially multiple sets that probably won't look as good in the given environment (during the day, at least) seems a bit counterintuitive when there's a better (and purpose-built) solution available. Not trying to be obstinate here. Having an outdoor tv is, after all, a luxury, so if cost is really that much of a constraint, I'd just...watch TV inside until I could swing the expense. And again, no manufacturer or extended warranty will cover a product for being used in a manner outside its intended use (e.g. using an indoor TV outside, even partially). While I suppose there are ways around this, just seems like a bit of a hassle.
beerhunt and lucacow like this.

film Sony 65A1E|Sonus faber Liuto, Smart Center, Venere Wall|B&W DB4S|Sony ZA5000ES|UDP 205|UB820
2ch Sonus faber Toy|REL S/5|Sony TA-A1ES|Wadia 321|Sony SCD-777ES|Sony PS-HX500 + Schiit Mani|AQ Niagara 5000
desk Sonus faber Toy monitor|REL T-Zero|Rega Brio|AQ Dragonfly Cobalt/Victoria|Mac mini|AQ PowerQuest 3
living Sony 55X930E|Monitor Audio Silver RX1|Marantz NR1508|Panasonic UB900
post #8 of 14 Old 03-27-2020, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
I don't know, seems like in the long run, going through regular TVs -- having to unmount, remount, dispose of/recycle, and replace potentially multiple sets that probably won't look as good in the given environment (during the day, at least) seems a bit counterintuitive when there's a better (and purpose-built) solution available. Not trying to be obstinate here. Having an outdoor tv is, after all, a luxury, so if cost is really that much of a constraint, I'd just...watch TV inside until I could swing the expense. And again, no manufacturer or extended warranty will cover a product for being used in a manner outside its intended use (e.g. using an indoor TV outside, even partially). While I suppose there are ways around this, just seems like a bit of a hassle.

I completely agree with you. It makes sense to invest in the proper tool for the job. If you are serious about your outdoor space, it is definitely worth getting a dedicated outdoor tv.

post #9 of 14 Old 03-27-2020, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
I don't know, seems like in the long run, going through regular TVs -- having to unmount, remount, dispose of/recycle, and replace potentially multiple sets that probably won't look as good in the given environment (during the day, at least) seems a bit counterintuitive when there's a better (and purpose-built) solution available.
This is true but it seems depending on size and how long you keep the TV outdoors it may just be better to "go through" multiple other sets lol. For example if a 43" TV meant for full-shade areas (as indicated above) cost $1500, well a good 43" is around $250. Cheaper sets are less than that but let's say even an IPS set as bright as you can get which seems to be the Sony 800 series, which go for a fairly pricey $500ish in that size. That's about 400 nits; a little lower brightness will get you a UM7300 at much less, around $300. With the Sony you'd be able to go through three sets before you paid for one Veranda; with the LG, five sets. If you wanted to go with a VA panel you could probably find a set with 500 nits range brightness for $300 as well. None of these are hugely bright but it seems like the Veranda, meant for full-shade, is only about 350 nits itself. If you wanted to go with cheaper VA TV, you could end up at maybe 6-8 sets before you paid for one Veranda! That's a lot of TVs almost anyway you slice it.

If the set is shaded, well protected from the environment (e.g. not gonna get rained on/splashed, baked by sun, or assaulted by sandy/windy conditions), and isn't going to be up all year (i.e. not up for the winter/colder months, if applicable), then seems like an indoor TV might be fine and much cheaper. Changing out a 40-50" set is pretty easy these days as they're all pretty lightweight and manageable, most of the work can be done by one person and you don't even have to be a "big guy" to do it.

However if the environment is going to be harsh, the TV left outside indefinitely, and sunshine and brightness are a concern then those Signature and Pro line sets seem like a good idea, albeit an even more expensive idea, lol.

You're right there's no denying there a "right tool for the job here" but if you're just trying to put a set outside for the summer/warmer months and have it sheltered, a [relatively] cheap standard consumer TV seems like it would do fine for someone on a limited budget. If it breaks after a few years, hey you buy a new one (as someone else mentioned you can't really expect warranty with outdoor use). If you find you're breaking a set every year or less, then yeah time to get an outdoor one for sure. However I hazard a guess that a lot of TVs would do a lot better than we might think, in a sheltered, shaded, outdoor application. Personally I'd at least make the gamble and potentially learn the hard way that I'd need to spend more, because OTOH potentially there's a lot of $$$ savings too.
Peja likes this.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-28-2020, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry, I forgot to add that I live in South Florida. While it does get hot, that area where the tv is mounted never gets that hot (always fully covered....see attached).

I appreciate you guys that chimed in and all of your ideas make sense. I have had 2 tv's in that same spot for 10 years now. The first one was a Samsung VA that was a 46". I bought it at Best Buy with the 5 year extended warranty and half way through year 4 it died. Called Geek Squad, they assessed it, and gave me full warranty for a new one. With the price I paid for the old one I was able to upgrade to a 58" Samsung VA with another five year warranty to boot. That tv is still under warranty and I moved it to my moms house as hers broke down.

In the meantime I figured it was time to upgrade the master tv to a 4k unit and move that Samsung 50" VA out. In the move I must have knocked out HDMI 1 and thought it was done for, especially since the speakers did not work. I took it apart to see if there was any visible damage, which there wasn't, and put it back together. Still no HDMI and still no volume. My son suggested to try the audio out port. It worked, so I hung that one back up in the pool area. Then I ordered a bluetooth transmitter to send the signal to my JBL speaker. After setting up, I went through the menu and the speakers were disabled, because I had that tv hooked up to a soundbar in the bedroom. What a dummy!!! The good news is now that I have a portable bluetooth device that can be hooked up to any tv for private headphone listening.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200328_125119.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	790.2 KB
ID:	2702760   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200328_125059.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	719.4 KB
ID:	2702762  
ES_Revenge and lucacow like this.
post #11 of 14 Old 03-29-2020, 06:06 AM
bk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucacow View Post

A bright IPS would be ideal. Otherwise the TCL 6 series from 2018 is fairly inexpensive and the brightest set at that price point.

I've had a 2018 55" TCL 6 outside on my deck, under an overhang, that I leave covered when not in use, and it is bright enough to watch during the day in indirect sunlight. It's been out there coming up on 2 years and still works well.
lucacow likes this.
post #12 of 14 Old 03-29-2020, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio.hobby View Post
Sorry, I forgot to add that I live in South Florida. While it does get hot, that area where the tv is mounted never gets that hot (always fully covered....see attached).

I appreciate you guys that chimed in and all of your ideas make sense. I have had 2 tv's in that same spot for 10 years now. The first one was a Samsung VA that was a 46". I bought it at Best Buy with the 5 year extended warranty and half way through year 4 it died. Called Geek Squad, they assessed it, and gave me full warranty for a new one. With the price I paid for the old one I was able to upgrade to a 58" Samsung VA with another five year warranty to boot. That tv is still under warranty and I moved it to my moms house as hers broke down.

In the meantime I figured it was time to upgrade the master tv to a 4k unit and move that Samsung 50" VA out. In the move I must have knocked out HDMI 1 and thought it was done for, especially since the speakers did not work. I took it apart to see if there was any visible damage, which there wasn't, and put it back together. Still no HDMI and still no volume. My son suggested to try the audio out port. It worked, so I hung that one back up in the pool area. Then I ordered a bluetooth transmitter to send the signal to my JBL speaker. After setting up, I went through the menu and the speakers were disabled, because I had that tv hooked up to a soundbar in the bedroom. What a dummy!!! The good news is now that I have a portable bluetooth device that can be hooked up to any tv for private headphone listening.
I'm also in south FL, but in my case in SW FL in Ft. Myers area. In the 13 years I've been here I'm only on my 2nd "outside" TV. like you, I have it wall mounted up reasonably high so that it would really take a heavy rain with substantial wind to blow the rain directly on the TV. I have electric roll down shutters on the lanai that I can close when a major storm is expected. Of course you could make or buy a water proof cover to put over the TV on the occasions when you need it. My 1st TV for the lanai was a Sony and it lasted 6 years before it failed. I replaced that with an inexpensive Hisense and have used it for thee past 7 years without any issues. I have the TV on an articulated wall mount so t with swing the TV to best suit my viewing location, but a TV with a bright picture and using an IPS panel would make sense for a TV mounted flat against the wall, as shown in you photos.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #13 of 14 Old 03-29-2020, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
I'm also in south FL, but in my case in SW FL in Ft. Myers area. In the 13 years I've been here I'm only on my 2nd "outside" TV. like you, I have it wall mounted up reasonably high so that it would really take a heavy rain with substantial wind to blow the rain directly on the TV. I have electric roll down shutters on the lanai that I can close when a major storm is expected. Of course you could make or buy a water proof cover to put over the TV on the occasions when you need it. My 1st TV for the lanai was a Sony and it lasted 6 years before it failed. I replaced that with an inexpensive Hisense and have used it for thee past 7 years without any issues. I have the TV on an articulated wall mount so t with swing the TV to best suit my viewing location, but a TV with a bright picture and using an IPS panel would make sense for a TV mounted flat against the wall, as shown in you photos.
My TV is actually on an articulating wall mount. It is just in its "stand-by" position for now. Speaking of covers, the first one had one and it died after 4.5 years, the next one lasted 5 and is still going. The Geek Squad guy told me that here in SFL most go bad when you frequently turn the tv on when the electronics may be damp from the fluctuations in humidity like during the summer. So during that time of the year, on especially humid days, I usually point a fan at the back of the tv for about 15 minutes before turning it on. Don't know if that helps but this one has lasted longer.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-30-2020, 12:08 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 240
I've had two sets on my covered no direct sun patio over the last 8+ years. The first a Sony 47" that weighed 50-60lbs. I brought it in each winter and hauled it out each spring. Each year was tougher to hang back up by myself. Never had any issues with it. I finally gave it to a relative and bought a 55" Samsung. Way easier and lighter to deal with. The first winter with the Samsung getting old caught up with me again so I left it out covered with a Weber BBQ cover. It's been out four winters and still going strong.

I'm in Sacramento so humidity is never an issue. We get 100 degree temps in summer and into the thirties in winter including a few freezes. The right tool for me is a cheap LCD. Using my Costco card doubles factory warranty and a cheap Square Trade add on and I'm golden.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page