TCL 32S327 and Wireless Headphones for TV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ryanlb

post #1 of 7 Old 03-26-2020, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
TCL 32S327 and Wireless Headphones for TV

My wife is in a nursing home and they're requiring her to have wireless headphones for her TV.

Since her old TV doesn't have a headphone jack or audio outs I was thinking about getting this inexpensive TCL 32S327 LED and picking up some wireless headphones either 2.4G RF or Bluetooth for under $100. She's terrible when it comes to operating electronic devices and even remotes if it would require her going into the TV's menu... everything needs to be simple, simple, simple.

Here's what I'd like to do when she turns on the headphones... the TV speaker mutes or for sound to be coming through both the TV speakers and the headphones and my wife could just mute the TV.

I called TCL and they said their TV doesn't work that way... if I plug headphones into the headphones jack I would have to physically unplug/disconnect each time to use the TV speakers. Then if I went the digital optical route my wife would have to dig through the TV menu to enable and disable.

Is this just normal behavior for TV/headphones setups or do some TVs handle their audio differently? Any workarounds? I swore I watched a video (can't find it now) where a guy was listening through headphones and then turned them off... then the TV speakers came back on. I must have been dreaming!

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-26-2020, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoady View Post
My wife is in a nursing home and they're requiring her to have wireless headphones for her TV.

Since her old TV doesn't have a headphone jack or audio outs I was thinking about getting this inexpensive TCL 32S327 LED and picking up some wireless headphones either 2.4G RF or Bluetooth for under $100. She's terrible when it comes to operating electronic devices and even remotes if it would require her going into the TV's menu... everything needs to be simple, simple, simple.

Here's what I'd like to do when she turns on the headphones... the TV speaker mutes or for sound to be coming through both the TV speakers and the headphones and my wife could just mute the TV.

I called TCL and they said their TV doesn't work that way... if I plug headphones into the headphones jack I would have to physically unplug/disconnect each time to use the TV speakers. Then if I went the digital optical route my wife would have to dig through the TV menu to enable and disable.

Is this just normal behavior for TV/headphones setups or do some TVs handle their audio differently? Any workarounds? I swore I watched a video (can't find it now) where a guy was listening through headphones and then turned them off... then the TV speakers came back on. I must have been dreaming!
Mike
My Samsung Q70 mutes the TV sound as soon as it pairs with Bluetooth headphones. I use the Soundcore Life Q10 Bluetooth headphones. They work great and I only paid $27.00 for them on-sale.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-26-2020, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastacow53 View Post
My Samsung Q70 mutes the TV sound as soon as it pairs with Bluetooth headphones. I use the Soundcore Life Q10 Bluetooth headphones. They work great and I only paid $27.00 for them on-sale.
So I wonder if this has to do with certain TV brands then?

Do your headphones have a low latency feature so there’s no voice lag when watching TV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-26-2020, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
So I wonder if this has to do with certain TV brands then?

Do your headphones have a low latency feature so there’s no voice lag when watching TV?
They've never been out of sync with the TV.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-26-2020, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastacow53 View Post
They've never been out of sync with the TV.
So does your Samsung TV have built-in Bluetooth or are you using a Bluetooth receiver? I’m trying to figure out if the reason your headphones mutes the TV is because of your particular TV or brand.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-26-2020, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Lightbulb You can do private listening through the Roku Mobile App!

Quote:

Mike
Hi Mike,

I have several TCL tvs at home and they utilize a fantastic feature through the Roku Mobile Application that can be downloaded to a phone or tablet. By using the Roku mobile app, your wife would be able to use her current phone/tablet (mobile device) and her current set of headphones to listen to her content. The one important thing to note is that the TCL tv and the mobile device would need to be connected to the same wireless internet.

If that is not an issue, simply connect the TCL tv and the mobile device to your wireless internet.

From there, you would be able to access the Roku mobile app's remote control function (bottom of the screen, middle option).
Once you click on the control option, the app will bring up a mobile remote control.
On the bottom right corner, there is an icon with a pair of headphones on it.
Connect your current headphones to the mobile device and then click on the headphones icon on the app.
The tv speakers will disable and the volume will begin to play out of the headphones through the mobile app.

If you have any more questions, this article may be of great use for you.
(I cannot post the link to the article however if you go to Roku .com, click Support, Type headphones in the search bar and search, you will come across several articles addressing this issue.)

While TCL is the tv company, the operating software is from Roku. Roku offers many amazing features like private listening and the mobile remote control.

I hope this helps!

-Ryan
mastacow53 likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-26-2020, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Ryan thanks took me a bit to understand but it’s called “Private Listening” and I was able to try this at home since I have a Roku Elite and it works great.

My wife will watch DirecTV 90% of the time that’s connected to her Antenna Coax Input. The nursing home is using a DirecTV package/system for seniors where each TV has its own receiver but they are all located together in a closet and then coax is fed to each TV. I believe her TV has to be set to ch 3 or ch 4.

Here’s the big question will “Private Listening” work with anything connected to the Antenna Coax Input on the TCL?

By the way I’m also going to get her Roku’s Voice remote so if she did decide to stream it would be easier for her.

Mike

Last edited by mccoady; 03-26-2020 at 06:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page