2020 Samsung Q90T Owners Thread - No Price Talk - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 183Likes

post #421 of 638 Old 05-23-2020, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7482 Post(s)
Liked: 7521
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
That the picture looks better !
We call all hope, ya never know that's for sure. We will have to see a head to head comparison on the 90T and 90R to know for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 638 Old 05-23-2020, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Since the Q90R 55" was kind of limited compared to the bigger versions, is it reasonable to assume that in 55" its probably a no brainier to get the Q90T/Q95T instead? Ie the 55" should perhaps be less affected by the lower number of zones this year since it already had fewer (albeit for a smaller screen) and still get "improved processing". Also, as I mainly intend to use it as a PC monitor, the increased sharpness this year should also be beneficial. At least in some parts of the EU, you can get both the Q90R and the Q95T for about the same price right now.

Must say I am still a bit doubtful about this "improved processing", I find it hard to believe that Samsung would just magically come up with something new for such a mature product as LCD/LED/QLED and it seems like Samsung is downgrading the 4K line this year to push for 8K instead. Only "problem" is that so far, all reviews seem to agree that the Q90T/Q95T is as good or even better as the Q90R even though it shouldn't be
post #423 of 638 Old 05-23-2020, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Anyone notice the Standard mode dimming after a minute of changing to it (no eco or intelligent settings are on)? Tried resetting the picture mode but it still dims after selecting it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #424 of 638 Old 05-23-2020, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1396 Post(s)
Liked: 1216
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlattyLCDees View Post
Anyone notice the Standard mode dimming after a minute of changing to it (no eco or intelligent settings are on)? Tried resetting the picture mode but it still dims after selecting it.
it doesn't dim but rather corrects itself, since it uses different dimming algorithm and slightly boosts saturation and gamma (compared to Movie mode).
post #425 of 638 Old 05-23-2020, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can someone confirm how many HDMI 2.1 inputs the Q90T has?
post #426 of 638 Old 05-23-2020, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninJT View Post
Can someone confirm how many HDMI 2.1 inputs the Q90T has?

One.
post #427 of 638 Old 05-23-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denpom View Post
Quote:
it doesn't dim but rather corrects itself, since it uses different dimming algorithm and slightly boosts saturation and gamma (compared to Movie mode).
It seems so much darker than Natural or Dynamic after it switches. If it true than Standard actually has the ambient light sensor baked in?
post #428 of 638 Old 05-23-2020, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1396 Post(s)
Liked: 1216
Quote:
It seems so much darker than Natural or Dynamic after it switches. If it true than Standard actually has the ambient light sensor baked in?
it doesn't but Natural and Dynamic are "torch" modes, they are overblown by design so there's no surprise Standard looks "dim" to you right after. look into properly setting up Standard or Movie modes for more critical viewing.
post #429 of 638 Old 05-23-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denpom View Post
Quote:
it doesn't but Natural and Dynamic are "torch" modes, they are overblown by design so there's no surprise Standard looks "dim" to you right after. look into properly setting up Standard or Movie modes for more critical viewing.
The weird thing is while highlighting Standard it seems bright and clear, why is it the only mode that changes after selecting it?
post #430 of 638 Old 05-23-2020, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Debating whether to add a Best Buy Protection Plan for my 65". Anyone else buy an extended warranty? Is Samsung a brand you can rely on? The only TV that ever broke on me was an LG OLED at about 14 months. Otherwise, I've always been a Sony guy and had zero problems with their TVs breaking.
eaadams likes this.
post #431 of 638 Old 05-23-2020, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've had Samsungs mostly and personally never had one break on me. Only got rid of mine to upgrade.
post #432 of 638 Old 05-23-2020, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cminer72 View Post
Debating whether to add a Best Buy Protection Plan for my 65". Anyone else buy an extended warranty? Is Samsung a brand you can rely on? The only TV that ever broke on me was an LG OLED at about 14 months. Otherwise, I've always been a Sony guy and had zero problems with their TVs breaking.
I have owned 3 Samsung TV with the oldest being bought in 2006 and still going strong! Second one bought in 2013 and bought a warranty.... Never used it! Did not buy one with the Q90. I'm sure some people might of had bad luck ( with any tv brand) but I have nothing but great things to say about Samsung! Here's a pic of the older model... Anyone rember this one? 😉
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15902763828599173146467742168737_1590276431027.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	3.34 MB
ID:	2731582  
post #433 of 638 Old 05-23-2020, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Daigle View Post
I have owned 3 Samsung TV with the oldest being bought in 2006 and still going strong! Second one bought in 2013 and bought a warranty.... Never used it! Did not buy one with the Q90. I'm sure some people might of had bad luck ( with any tv brand) but I have nothing but great things to say about Samsung! Here's a pic of the older model... Anyone rember this one? 😉
this should be the 720p(I guess),I have one,and still working
post #434 of 638 Old 05-23-2020, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
On a Samsung is just opt for a $100 square trade warranty.. if it was oled Best Buy is the only real option
post #435 of 638 Old 05-23-2020, 04:39 PM

So I see there is an update for the Q90T on the Samsung website (1115.5) mine is on 1113. When I check it on the tv it says there is no new updates... But there could be one on the website. My question is why aren't they pushing it through? Could I use the web browser on the tv to click on the link and download it directly? Or do I have to go on a pc and put it on a USB and then download it.
post #436 of 638 Old 05-23-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dprojector View Post
Quote:
this should be the 720p(I guess),I have one,and still working
Yup!! It's a beast! Lol
post #437 of 638 Old 05-23-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
So I see there is an update for the Q90T on the Samsung website (1115.5) mine is on 1113. When I check it on the tv it says there is no new updates... But there could be one on the website. My question is why aren't they pushing it through? Could I use the web browser on the tv to click on the link and download it directly? Or do I have to go on a pc and put it on a USB and then download it.
I did the update last night with a USB drive. It’s was pretty quick and simple. Download, unzip, move folder to thumb drive, plug in and select update now.
post #438 of 638 Old 05-23-2020, 04:47 PM

Are Samsung TVs, or at least this one, rgb so that Windows text renders properly without having to mess with ClearType etc? Some panels, like LGs OLED have different pixel structures which can cause problems.

I recall that in some review of the Q90R, I think it was Vincent, mentioned that in PC mode, the subpixels that Samsung's VA panels have are disabled. Anyone know what's what?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
post #439 of 638 Old 05-23-2020, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Here's an unboxing video I came across. Likely there will be a follow-up.

venus933 likes this.

Display: Samsung LN55B650
AVR: Denon 2809ci
Players: OPPO BDP-83 || Streaming: Amazon Fire TV || Kindle Fire HD8
Speakers: Paradigm Studio 20v3 || CC-570v3 || ADP-470v3
Sub: JTR Captivator 2400ULF-10hz
post #440 of 638 Old 05-23-2020, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I did the update last night with a USB drive. It’s was pretty quick and simple. Download, unzip, move folder to thumb drive, plug in and select update now.
Done and done! Thank you.
post #441 of 638 Old 05-23-2020, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dprojector View Post
if you take a close look at the email that was sent to me by Samsung,you will notice it took them almost 20 minutes to come back with an answer by the so called an independent expert,he/she said that, they are 8 bit.
The picture you posted didn't really give any information on who you were talking to, not to mention the general "2020 4k tv's" vs specifying the model, people are tryint to clarify so would expect a more valid image with better context. Did you post the wrong photo?

Quote:
I didn't have mine on wireless after reseting it, just added it earlier and the download showed up, any noticeable changes on your end , menu wise etc? I'm trying to get a look at what changed since they never really give much info on it.

Last edited by LunaP; 05-23-2020 at 05:48 PM.
post #442 of 638 Old 05-23-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaP View Post
I didn't have mine on wireless after reseting it, just added it earlier and the download showed up, any noticeable changes on your end , menu wise etc? I'm trying to get a look at what changed.
Nothing noticeable. Likely bug fixes. The list of changes is identical to the April update, and quite vague.
post #443 of 638 Old 05-23-2020, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaP View Post
The picture you posted didn't really give any information on who you were talking to, not to mention the general "2020 4k tv's" vs specifying the model, people are tryint to clarify so would expect a more valid image with better context. Did you post the wrong photo?
No,I didn't give the wrong photo,I was chatting with Samsung support,I asked the first representative if 2020 4K are 8 bits panels,he said they don't have access to this kind of information,and advised me to call 800-,the other one took about 20 minutes long,during which I closed the chat windows,then received an email with answer,and the answer was given by an independent expert as claimed in the photo,so I assumed the second Representative didn't rush to give answers and passed it to a more technical guy who told me they are 8 bits,and they assumed that I was asking about their top tier 4K,else they will ask.

post #444 of 638 Old 05-23-2020, 07:32 PM
K G

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbegins View Post
Also multiple "reviewers" are making favourable reviews or being paid to write good stuff about TVs. Especially by Samsung since they are freaking huge in comparison to other brands.
Rtings for example buys their own TVs and provides measured data and hard facts - thats what i call a review.
Edit = also my list is just to show what the MSRP of a 2019 model can get you in 2020. It is not a comparison / indication which TV is better or worse)
Samsung didn't pay me a dime and I think Q90T is a better TV than the Q90R.

Q90R has too much blooming, worse color, worse FALD algorithm (just watch HDTVtest star field test they ran), Game Mode is way too washed out, and the anti reflection screen mutes contrast a bit.

The Q90T fixes all those issues period, and while game mode still adds a bit of a cast to the color I wouldn't say it washes it out like the 90R did.
post #445 of 638 Old 05-23-2020, 08:30 PM

Why do OLED fanboys go out of their way to take a dump on top of the line LCDs? I know this is kind of off topic but I’ve now seen multiple OLED owners on Reddit, AV, and AVS lobby so hard against anything that isn’t the OLED they bought or might buy.

I’ve seen QLED peeps say I fully understand that OLED has better picture but I’m seriously concerned about the longevity of OLED so I’m making a small sacrifice for piece of mind. Mind you, this is all well OLED folks say QLED is absolute garbage and not worth buying because it looks “so much worse.”

The cult mindset is really off putting.
post #446 of 638 Old 05-24-2020, 03:38 AM
K G

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Hey everyone I just wanted to let you know I got another Q90T gaming video showcase, it will highlight the good and bad with the TV (bad being inverse ghosting outside of game motion plus and the good being the incredible motion and color of the TV) it is going to feature a lot of gameplay videos from Assassins Creed and Gears of War (I will be demonstrating the inverse ghosting issue) I wanted to make sure I get this video out soon because I know some people are on the fence of buying this TV. Expect it either later in the night tomorrow or Monday, not sure if im allowed to post it so I won't but if I can just let me know in a reply.

Overall as of right now if your main concern is VRR and Freesync buy a different TV brand this year, VRR and Freesync just isn't something you wanna focus on if your buying this TV for gaming until Samsung gets an update out to address inverse ghosting. Game motion plus is pretty awesome though so I highly recommend turning that on anyway.
improwise likes this.
post #447 of 638 Old 05-24-2020, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Game mode is great. Set Local Dimming to Standard for best results. Barely any blooming on the PlayStation logo when booting up the PS4. Its super responsive, Overwatch and Smash have never felt better. I’ll try to boot up Horizon Zero Dawn tomorrow and see how it handles the intro that Vincent Teoh demoed on the Q90R (the video with the awful game mode clouding)

I’ve never owned a Q90R, so I can’t compare directly to that, but I haven’t seen any obvious clouding or blooming with the Q95T.

If you’re basing your buying decision on game mode black level performance, I still encourage you to wait for HDTV Test and Rtings reviews (you’ve come this far after all). But I will say that I’m very impressed with it. The early reviews were spot on.
post #448 of 638 Old 05-24-2020, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K G View Post
Overall as of right now if your main concern is VRR and Freesync buy a different TV brand this year, VRR and Freesync just isn't something you wanna focus on if your buying this TV for gaming until Samsung gets an update out to address inverse ghosting. Game motion plus is pretty awesome though so I highly recommend turning that on anyway.
A gaming tv without good vrr isn’t worth having, especially when it touts that as a major feature... though I wonder if inverse ghosting isn’t noticeable to everyone. I don’t notice it on the q9fn... now I’m questing if I should cancel my order and get the c9. Even with its burn in issues at least the vrr works correctly for current and next gen.
eaadams likes this.

Last edited by Keabrown79; 05-24-2020 at 06:21 AM.
post #449 of 638 Old 05-24-2020, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sun View Post
If you’️re basing your buying decision on game mode black level performance, I still encourage you to wait for HDTV Test and Rtings reviews (you’️ve come this far after all). But I will say that I’️m very impressed with it. The early reviews were spot on.
I’m not worried about black level as much as I am the actual gaming features of the tv such as vrr and Freesync because I have a feeling even though next gen consoles will be putting out a 120hrz signal they will only be 60fps so the vrr and Freesync is gonna be super important
post #450 of 638 Old 05-24-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keabrown79 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by K G View Post
A gaming tv without good vrr isn’t worth having, especially when it touts that as a major feature... though I wonder if inverse ghosting isn’t noticeable to everyone. I don’t notice it on the q9fn... now I’m questing if I should cancel my order and get the c9. Even with its burn in issues at least the vrr works correctly for current and next gen.
I have yet to notice it on mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page