2020 Samsung Q90T Owners Thread - No Price Talk - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 255Likes

post #31 of 894 Old 04-28-2020, 03:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaP View Post
Well 10 feet away ur not gonna notice the slight screendoor that seems prominent on the 9 series ( since 2017 that I've noticed) not sure if its the direct LED mention or how the matrix/grid layout is. As far as darks they're still nice, though I read that due to the wide viewing angles it drops contrast a bit, but still has more than the 8. Granted if ur sitting that far back the minor things won't bother u at all since as I was saying earlier its sorta faded and only prominent at angles in a dark room ( no lights ), so should be fine w/ either.
Thank you very much for that. Very useful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 894 Old 04-28-2020, 04:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1402 Post(s)
Liked: 1222
Quote:
Now its just Dynamic or standard ( no movie or anything else ) and oddly dynamic has less of a range or feels limited in comparison to standard, so its basically up to proper white point calibration PER application source to dial it into what I want. It's always sad/annoying when options are removed, narrowing down the capabilities ( despite how some may feel / see them ) freedom of choice is nice.
are you saying Movie mode is missing entirely (as in, you can't see four default Picture modes - Dynamic, Standard, Natural and Movie)? are you talking about PC/Gaming mode?

the fake HDR mode from the past was basically a preset, you could replicate it using other Picture settings.
post #33 of 894 Old 04-28-2020, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by denpom View Post
Quote:
Now its just Dynamic or standard ( no movie or anything else ) and oddly dynamic has less of a range or feels limited in comparison to standard, so its basically up to proper white point calibration PER application source to dial it into what I want. It's always sad/annoying when options are removed, narrowing down the capabilities ( despite how some may feel / see them ) freedom of choice is nice.
are you saying Movie mode is missing entirely (as in, you can't see four default Picture modes - Dynamic, Standard, Natural and Movie)? are you talking about PC/Gaming mode?

the fake HDR mode from the past was basically a preset, you could replicate it using other Picture settings.
I own the 65"Q90T and I can tell you all 4 picture modes are there. 👍
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 894 Old 04-28-2020, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Next thing I definitely wanna test is the hdmi 2.1 functionality for 10bit 4:4:4 120hz 4k the DP 1.4 -> Hdmi 2.1 adapters appear to be out so waiting on those atm, and w/ the 3000 series hitting for Nvidia, I'm holding out for 2.1 ports on them as well ( SLI to support the 120hz push )

I doubt these adapters will ever release. We have to wait for true 2.1 output devices.
post #35 of 894 Old 04-28-2020, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbegins View Post
I doubt these adapters will ever release. We have to wait for true 2.1 output devices.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14535...i-21-converter
post #36 of 894 Old 04-28-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Daigle View Post
How are you finding the performance? Good black levels? Little to no blooming?
post #37 of 894 Old 04-28-2020, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sun View Post
Quote:
How are you finding the performance? Good black levels? Little to no blooming?
It's great! Great black levels and haven't noticed any blooming so far. Still tweaking around. Beautiful bright picture. Using it on movie mode right now. Be curious to hear what other users have calibration set to.
post #38 of 894 Old 04-28-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dprojector View Post

I have seen that already, i also checked the Club 3D forum. I would almost bet that the new AMD/Nvidia cards will release before this adapter comes out.
post #39 of 894 Old 04-28-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
It's great! Great black levels and haven't noticed any blooming so far. Still tweaking around. Beautiful bright picture. Using it on movie mode right now. Be curious to hear what other users have calibration set to.
That’s good to hear! Have you tried playing any games yet? Does it still hold up in game mode?
post #40 of 894 Old 04-28-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:
That’️s good to hear! Have you tried playing any games yet? Does it still hold up in game mode?
Yup. I have an Xbox one S and have played some fifa 20. Gonna try some other games soon. I haven't played around with game mode to much yet... But with out it on it looks great and plays great. So I can only imagine with it on. I'll be testing it tomorrow. 👍
post #41 of 894 Old 04-28-2020, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Yup. I have an Xbox one S and have played some fifa 20. Gonna try some other games soon. I haven't played around with game mode to much yet... But with out it on it looks great and plays great. So I can only imagine with it on. I'll be testing it tomorrow. 👍
Record some footage of the game mode and console gameplay?
post #42 of 894 Old 04-28-2020, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by saiyanzzrage View Post
Glad there is a thread for this TV finally. Looking for a 65 to replace my 55Q8FN and pair with PS5 when it launches. Right now I am between the CX and the Q90T.
I ave been eyeing the 77 lg cx myself. The only problem is the burn in issue especially since I am a big gamer. Although most people on the LGCX thread told me i should not worry about it. They al lsaid they been playing games on OLED for a while and have not had a issue with burn in.
post #43 of 894 Old 04-29-2020, 02:55 AM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Correct, in PC mode that is its just standard or Dynamic ( unless u set it to Game mode), as for the HDR mode settings, I'd love if anyone could share how on these new TV's, for starters there's no longer a backlight option, brightnes and backlight seemed to have been combined into 1 setting "brightness"

Quote:
They don't show when using a PC ( not that they ever have on previous either ) which was what I was talking about.

Quote:
Thank you very much for that. Very useful.
So far main issues i'm seeing are flared whites, and LOTS of crushed blacks, which is unusual, I've been trying to get a decent calibration since yesterday, Color's are a bit faded for text too , which was easier to separate on the q7, still gonna keep at it though for another day or 2 before attempting to swap it out, sadly can't just go into the store and do it like I used to w/ my laptop, and definitely not looking forward to repacking this if I have too..

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan456 View Post
I ave been eyeing the 77 lg cx myself. The only problem is the burn in issue especially since I am a big gamer. Although most people on the LGCX thread told me i should not worry about it. They al lsaid they been playing games on OLED for a while and have not had a issue with burn in.
For that stuff its helpful for them to share a list of games they play , since if you're playing MMO's that can be a diff area altogether due to static UI's its one of the reasons I stick w/ Samsung currently, since I'll game all day/ draw etc with the games running. ( That + I have a bright lit room )

----------

Also curious since people are mentioning that the current Q series are -1 from last years, i.e Q7 = Q6, Q8= Q7? if that's the case the Q8 might be what I need, in terms, though may grab one to cross compare to be sure prior to taking one back. If anyone can confirm on that.
Could just have a faulty panel too since it feels like there's a certain tint to it, that I can't seem to calibrate out.

Last edited by LunaP; 04-29-2020 at 03:04 AM.
post #44 of 894 Old 04-29-2020, 05:07 AM

Quote:
So far main issues i'm seeing are flared whites, and LOTS of crushed blacks, which is unusual, I've been trying to get a decent calibration since yesterday, Color's are a bit faded for text too , which was easier to separate on the q7, still gonna keep at it though for another day or 2 before attempting to swap it out, sadly can't just go into the store and do it like I used to w/ my laptop, and definitely not looking forward to repacking this if I have too..
Well that’s no good at all about the crushed blacks. Was this in PC mode?
post #45 of 894 Old 04-29-2020, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1402 Post(s)
Liked: 1222
Quote:
Correct, in PC mode that is its just standard or Dynamic ( unless u set it to Game mode), as for the HDR mode settings, I'd love if anyone could share how on these new TV's, for starters there's no longer a backlight option, brightnes and backlight seemed to have been combined into 1 setting "brightness"
They don't show when using a PC ( not that they ever have on previous either ) which was what I was talking about.
your posts are a little bit confusing but nevertheless, i'm not sure why you're always in PC mode and how are you trying to calibrate it exactly? most people on these forums don't use PC mode so it's very hard to give any kind of advice for someone who's trying to use this TV for not one of it's main purposes.

Brightness is this year's Backlight, Shadow Detail is this year's Brightness.

regarding fake "HDR+" mode from previous years, again, i'm not sure why do you need because like i said, it was just a Picture settings preset. TV automatically goes into true HDR mode when an HDR signal is being fed to it, just like with previous models. once you're in HDR mode, you can adjust the settings just for HDR as TV treats it as a separate source. again, this is no different from previous years.

Quote:
i'm not sure what "flared" whites are but i'm not experiencing any crushed blacks on Q80T (i don't see how Q90T can be any worse) but again, you're in "PC mode" with unknown settings and source material, can't really help there.

Quote:
Also curious since people are mentioning that the current Q series are -1 from last years, i.e Q7 = Q6, Q8= Q7? if that's the case the Q8 might be what I need, in terms, though may grab one to cross compare to be sure prior to taking one back. If anyone can confirm on that.
Could just have a faulty panel too since it feels like there's a certain tint to it, that I can't seem to calibrate out.
hold on, you want to downgrade your TV to be "closer" to an even more downgraded TV from previous year? i mean, what?
post #46 of 894 Old 04-29-2020, 06:55 AM

I guess it all depends on the person's calibration but I can only speak for me I have not noticed any blooming or black crushing yet. I have it on movie mode and I'm still trying to find the sweet spot with calibration. I'm just going by eye but will definitely have it professionally calibrated when Covid-19 let's up a bit.
post #47 of 894 Old 04-29-2020, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan456 View Post

Be careful with OLED if you are a hardcore gamer. If you play mmorpg's, don't even think about it!
This is my LG B7 after 3 years of hardcore gaming. My next TV is a QLED i guess ;-)
Sorry for my bad english!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	burn.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	402.7 KB
ID:	2718298  
adampk17 and JoelArt like this.
post #48 of 894 Old 04-29-2020, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomek_Calavera View Post
Be careful with OLED if you are a hardcore gamer. If you play mmorpg's, don't even think about it!
This is my LG B7 after 3 years of hardcore gaming. My next TV is a QLED i guess ;-)
Wow... that some burn in.
post #49 of 894 Old 04-29-2020, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2690 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
Quote:

If you have to actually draw white boxes (on a red slide no less, the color most effected) around the areas to make it easier for people to see - after 3 years of "hardcore gaming" - I don't think there is much to worry about by the vast majority of people...
Kanaris likes this.

Shopping List:
TV: LG CX/GX; Samsung Q90T/Q800T...?
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion ESL X
post #50 of 894 Old 04-29-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
If you have to actually draw white boxes (on a red slide no less, the color most effected) around the areas to make it easier for people to see - after 3 years of "hardcore gaming" - I don't think there is much to worry about by the vast majority of people...

No need to be salty, i personally find this very interesting and the whole thing just shows that OLED is not for everybody. Maybe someone here wants to play MMOs on a TV all day long and this helps with his/her decision ?
adampk17 and 3dprojector like this.
post #51 of 894 Old 04-29-2020, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Is this TV worth $1800 for 55”, that seems steep.
post #52 of 894 Old 04-29-2020, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2016 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
Quote:
I guess it all depends on the person's calibration but I can only speak for me I have not noticed any blooming or black crushing yet. I have it on movie mode and I'm still trying to find the sweet spot with calibration. I'm just going by eye but will definitely have it professionally calibrated when Covid-19 let's up a bit.
***Sounds like you're enjoying your new TV! I've always wondered if firmware updates from the manufacturer can alter calibrations after the fact. It would seem to me that if Samsung (or any other manufacturer) rolls out an enhancement or say a different HDR adjustment - - that could negate your calibration at any point in time after it was calibrated. At any rate - - trust your eyes the most. I believe with today's LCD technology - - you can get a pretty accurate picture with some tweaking of the "out of the box" settings.

Down the road, I'll be looking at the Samsung Q800T, which is an 8K TV with the main difference being the upgraded 8K processor. And I know there is little 4K material (outside of streaming) and certainly no 8K content but the processing and upscaling capability is far more important to me. I just do not see broadcast or cable TV providing much 4K/HDR content and let alone 8K material and what's most important is how the TV handles the content you watch today. Glad to hear about the lack of visible black crushing or blooming.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3, AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 - 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's-V.5 (FL/FR), CC-690-V.5 (C), ADP 590-V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub, Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #53 of 894 Old 04-29-2020, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post

I’d call it very off putting for myself when considering OLED even without hardcore gaming.

I thank the OP of that picture a lot.
post #54 of 894 Old 04-29-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Well that’s no good at all about the crushed blacks. Was this in PC mode?
Yes, Everything has been in PC mode, it can achieve pretty good colors and deep blacks to a point but to get past that ( and thanks to denpom for pointing it out ) I can bounce shadow detail back -1 and gamut +1 to somewhat preserve it w/o losing much at all for a richer picture.

Quote:
your posts are a little bit confusing but nevertheless, i'm not sure why you're always in PC mode and how are you trying to calibrate it exactly? most people on these forums don't use PC mode so it's very hard to give any kind of advice for someone who's trying to use this TV for not one of it's main purposes.
Apologies I had assumed you had been reading my posts since I was explaining why, since I use my TV's for Gaming mostly ( aside from Netflix/Hulu at times ) I was providing feedback for other gamers and users in the same category as again I had already stated I'm well aware that I'm within the small % that use it outside of movie use, and its main purpose is to be used as a display that is correct, its up to the user on how. I've been doing this since 2017 on the forums this is 2nd TV to ever give me issues, w/ regards to samsungs blunder on the 2018 q9 where the gamut tanked heavily between the q7 and the q9.

As for my calibration tools, I use the following

SpectraCal C6 &
X-Rite 1iDisplay Pro Colorimeter along w/ DisplayCAL Software. Why both? I owned the X-Rite prior and like to run comparisons.

Quote:
Brightness is this year's Backlight, Shadow Detail is this year's Brightness.
Noted thanks, I'll use that information going forward. This is most helpful.

Quote:
regarding fake "HDR+" mode from previous years, again, i'm not sure why do you need because like i said
I'm confused, I quoted you previously answering that question though?

Quote:
, it was just a Picture settings preset. TV automatically goes into true HDR mode when an HDR signal is being fed to it, just like with previous models. once you're in HDR mode, you can adjust the settings just for HDR as TV treats it as a separate source. again, this is no different from previous years.
Did you mean no different than LAST YEARS MODEL? Because u stated it was changed in last years, but existed previously on 2018 and 2017 models, though if you don't know the presets then that's ok, my previous post was asking you if you knew or could direct me where I could find a guide on that.

Quote:
i'm not sure what "flared" whites are but i'm not experiencing any crushed blacks on Q80T (i don't see how Q90T can be any worse) but again, you're in "PC mode" with unknown settings and source material, can't really help there.
I forget the term used for whites that flare out in intensity, not sure best how to describe it but hurts to look at and disrupts its surroundings, its been a while so I've forgotten some terms.

As for the other, again I quoted the person who also games giving them my feedback as an owner, its not asking for advice, though you answered urself on the 2nd half. I don't understand where the confusion is here, but if you have questions for me please feel free to ask??? Statements like " I don't see why anyone would ever" or " why would you even " are pointless and sometimes feel toxic, the forum is for information, not to look down on people, (remember its hard to read a persons tone on the internet unless u know them well) I get there are some toxic individuals that frequent here time to time, but not everyone is the same, I'm genuinely excited for a TV that supports 2.1, and also an Early adopter like many here given this just released recently. As I already explained, stores will NOT let people in to look, so I'm unable to get a side by side comparison. If its looked down on for using for a PC, that's fine, however if its not against the ToS here then I'll continue to post. Just please do me the courtesy of reading prior is all I ask (IF you're going to comment)

You're sharing your insights based on what you refer to as "intended/normal" use, I'm sharing mine based on MY type of use ( for the gaming community that utilizes TV's as their main display ) which I've been doing since the 2014.

My question to the forum above was just on the Labeling part to clarify if that was the intended mention i.e Q7 = Q6 etc.

Also again as a reminder, I'm giving my feebback based on my progression w/ this, since things have changed quited a bit since the 2018 line, I'm learning the new ins and outs, once done I'll be able to give an actual report along w/ the differences of 3 feet in front vs 8-10 feet. Again FOR PC GAMERS.

Quote:
hold on, you want to downgrade your TV to be "closer" to an even more downgraded TV from previous year? i mean, what?
I never said that, again are you even reading my posts or just responding based on key words, I said I would grab the Q8 to test along side it, since I had a similar experience in 2018 where the q7 was a better choice over q9 in terms of color, as well as a few other areas for gaming, which were very apparent, side by side ( since I had both and had to take 1 back ) My comment was on a comparison, and I did state that I hope its just a BAD panel due to the tinting I'm noticing.

Quote:
Again, yeah I'm speaking SOLELY from PC MODE, which DOES NOT have MOVIE MODE on it. My Posts are to the PC gamers which is an entirely diff beast to tackle. I hope this clears any confusion on that.

*Edit* Given the addition of 2.1 ports you can expect to see more enthusiasts checking these TV's out, since the 4k 120hz option @ 4:4:4 10 bit just sounds amazing, whether it will actually work or not is yet to be tested, but vs spending 2-3x more for a "gaming" gimmick TV w/ fake HDR that has a display port instead, Samsung ( and LG ) are offering much more viable options, especially for AMD users, though recent updates have allowed Nvidia to take advantage of VRR as well in the past. I know my rig can handle the current, (IF I had an adapter) however I do plan to upgrade when the 3000 series hits from Nvidia regardless since they SHOULD have 2.1 points on them vs having to use a 1.4 -> 2.1 adapter ( DP - > HDMI ) which supposedly is out but not available ( diff than the link posted prior ) and I'm willing to bet as well that the cards will release prior anyways, since they're due to be announced next month.
FiloD likes this.

Last edited by LunaP; 04-29-2020 at 03:44 PM.
post #55 of 894 Old 04-29-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
I know myself well enough to know that I’d be paranoid about burn in if I purchased an OLED, and I wouldn’t be able to use the TV how I wanted to. It doesn’t matter how great the picture quality is, I don’t want that worry always on my mind.

Quote:
Yes, Everything has been in PC mode.
Great, thanks for clearing that up. I’ll be using the Q95T for movies, TV shows, YouTube, Twitch and gaming.
post #56 of 894 Old 04-29-2020, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey everyone I just got a Q95T 55inch and this is my first high-end TV, I've noticed these patches of light here at the top left and the bottom right of my TV are these some sort of sensors?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4293.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	2718720   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4291.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	281.8 KB
ID:	2718722  
post #57 of 894 Old 04-29-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Thompson View Post
Hey everyone I just got a Q95T 55inch and this is my first high-end TV, I've noticed these patches of light here at the top left and the bottom right of my TV are these some sort of sensors?
I haven't noticed that on mine. I have the Q90T (north American) though.

Last edited by Dan Daigle; 04-29-2020 at 05:51 PM.
post #58 of 894 Old 04-30-2020, 12:50 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:

Next thing I definitely wanna test is the hdmi 2.1 functionality for 10bit 4:4:4 120hz 4k the DP 1.4 -> Hdmi 2.1 adapters appear to be out so waiting on those atm, and w/ the 3000 series hitting for Nvidia, I'm holding out for 2.1 ports on them as well ( SLI to support the 120hz push )
Can you please tell us if this TV has native support for 120Hz/4K 4:2:2 without any adapters? Just HDMI 2.0 like on Q90R?
post #59 of 894 Old 04-30-2020, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouvernator View Post
Can you please tell us if this TV has native support for 120Hz/4K 4:2:2 without any adapters? Just HDMI 2.0 like on Q90R?
Currently I don't have the option to apply 120hz at 4k @ 4:2:0 let alone 4:2:2 the only options that show up are 10bit and 12bit when dropping it.

Running on dual 2080ti's, tested on both Single and SLI modes as well. Not sure if its a future firmware update or not. I know the 2080ti's HDMI ports are 2.0 but I've read about others doing the same.

Tested w/ a few diff cables, Ultra mostly. Ordering an 8k Cable as well in the event mine isn't running as rated. I know only 1 port is pegged as 2.1 but all 4 should be capable of doing it, unless I need to create a custom resolution within the control panel.
post #60 of 894 Old 04-30-2020, 04:37 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Currently I don't have the option to apply 120hz at 4k @ 4:2:0 let alone 4:2:2 the only options that show up are 10bit and 12bit when dropping it.

Running on dual 2080ti's, tested on both Single and SLI modes as well. Not sure if its a future firmware update or not. I know the 2080ti's HDMI ports are 2.0 but I've read about others doing the same.

Tested w/ a few diff cables, Ultra mostly. Ordering an 8k Cable as well in the event mine isn't running as rated. I know only 1 port is pegged as 2.1 but all 4 should be capable of doing it, unless I need to create a custom resolution within the control panel.
User Manual says you have to activate "Input Signal Plus" on a HDMI Port 4 to have 120Hz. I hope that was the case?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page