2020 Samsung Q90T Owners Thread - No Price Talk - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 363Likes

post #721 of 1518 Old 05-29-2020, 01:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I think, the best way to confirm what exactly panel is in Q90T/Q95T, is that somebody who have this TV must check this in service menu.

Here is the link how to do it:
https://en.tab-tv.com/?p=20864

I want to do this, but mine 85" arrived last Tuesday and was damaged, so send it back and now I must wait for new one.

This is a request to those who own this model.
musicman0725 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1518 Old 05-29-2020, 01:13 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
As many have said this TV / Panel looks great and they have done some amazing things with the software to get the improvements that they have.

Would it have been great to get a true successor to the 90R on the hardware side without needing to go to 8K well yes but for what ever reason Samsung didn't do that. Well the reason in part is the likes of RTINGS and others that said all the TV you need is the 80R. The frustrating thing is that they have made a successor to the 80R as the 90T which seems a little underhand but in relation to performance is a really nice leap.

Will the 8bit + FRC be a problem, probably not but it is annoying that it isn't 10bit. There was a huge play in the past as to the benefits a 'TRUE' 10bit panel offered so not having one in 2020 seems a step back. However as many have pointed out in most if not all areas this doesn't seem to be a problem. Time will tell if it is or not but if anyone is looking for a new TV then rest assured this is one of the best LCD 4K TVs out there for 2020 the rivals have FAR more blooming than this panel and often worst other elements.
post #723 of 1518 Old 05-29-2020, 01:15 AM

Don't forget its SAMSUNG themselves that have confirm this directly I'd very much doubt that they would get their own product wrong and surely they would lie that it has a 10bit than say it has an 8bit + FRC but they haven't unfortunately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #724 of 1518 Old 05-29-2020, 01:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello, I am new to these forums, and just got a Q95t set, so far no worries, and great picture quality. Now can someone answer me these questions please?

Has anyone managed to output [email protected]? No matter what I do I can't output that resolution and frequency.
What are the benefits of a 10-bit pannel over a 8bit+frc one? Are they enough to swap for a Q90R? I don't detect reverse ghosting on mine, with or without game mode.
Will this set be enough for a 2.1 device?
Can you share your TV settings please?

Thanks for your time and replies.
post #725 of 1518 Old 05-29-2020, 01:50 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
Because many people don't game - for one - so that is a useless feature to many.

And as far as contrast and color - the Q90R is better according to rtings.
And despite everywhere else saying otherwise. Plus a much better processor in 2020 models.
post #726 of 1518 Old 05-29-2020, 01:59 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 4
First time poster here. I too was worried about whether it has or hasn't got an 8bit FRC panel after receiving my 65" Q95T until I had to send it back for a replacement and bring back my UK KS7000 into the living room which I believe has a 10-bit panel and honestly, I see nothing there which makes me think the Q95T is worse in terms of colour at all if that makes any sense.

I tried the same 4K blu rays and Apple TV 4Ks I watched on the Q95T (Rise of Skywalker, Mad Max Fury Road, Into The Spider-Verse, Annihilation, funeral scene from Thor 2) and God of War and Gran Turismo Sport on the PS4 Pro which I believe have that wide colour goodness and didn't feel for a minute that I was having a better experience on the KS7000 in terms of colour at all and as much as I loved that TV I was already missing the superior HDR performance, black levels etc from the Q95T. If it has an 8bit FRC panel then it's using it spectacularly 😀
musicman0725 likes this.
post #727 of 1518 Old 05-29-2020, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Reis View Post
Hello, I am new to these forums, and just got a Q95t set, so far no worries, and great picture quality. Now can someone answer me these questions please?

Has anyone managed to output [email protected]? No matter what I do I can't output that resolution and frequency.
What are the benefits of a 10-bit pannel over a 8bit+frc one? Are they enough to swap for a Q90R? I don't detect reverse ghosting on mine, with or without game mode.

You won't be able to output in 4K 120Hz yet at 4:4:4 as that needs a graphics card that supports 2.1 and all today only support 2.0. RTINGs test shows that they couldn't confirm what the set can do in this respect yet either.
This set does indeed supports most of the 2.1 standards the element it doesn't is 4k needed for complete support but as its a 4K set it obviously can't.
post #728 of 1518 Old 05-29-2020, 02:06 AM

For those worried about 10bit vs 8bit +FRC do you like the picture and does it look good then that is the answer life is too short to worry about other things.

The link below states the colours and panel are 'effectively' 10bit when compared to the 90R equivalent.

https://www.displayspecifications.co...son/d1d2106a7a
post #729 of 1518 Old 05-29-2020, 02:36 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarMad View Post
For those worried about 10bit vs 8bit +FRC do you like the picture and does it look good then that is the answer life is too short to worry about other things.

The link below states the colours and panel are 'effectively' 10bit when compared to the 90R equivalent.

The problem is probably not that people worry about it (even though some probably do) but if a 10 bit panel was promised or not (which I am unsure of if it was). Samsungs entire 4K line seems like a downgrade this year, at least according to expectations, but if the prices is also lowered, perhaps thats not really something to complain about. Besides the fact that I would much rather have had a top end 4K than a 8K with questionable added value for most.
post #730 of 1518 Old 05-29-2020, 02:53 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by improwise View Post
The problem is probably not that people worry about it (even though some probably do) but if a 10 bit panel was promised or not (which I am unsure of if it was). Samsungs entire 4K line seems like a downgrade this year, at least according to expectations, but if the prices is also lowered, perhaps thats not really something to complain about. Besides the fact that I would much rather have had a top end 4K than a 8K with questionable added value for most.
Better all round this year, much better processor also. I’ve seen tvs with a lot more dimming zones that don’t perform as well.

As for 8 bit vs 10 bit, we’ll all I can say is coming from a B7 oled which is using the same Panasonic UB900 player I was only able to use HDMI 4:2:0 8bit vs HDMI 4:4:4 10bit now I’m struggling to see any real difference, then again I’m not viewing side by side.

Now I would much prefer Dolby vision support from Samsung, then I would have a reason to change players.
post #731 of 1518 Old 05-29-2020, 02:54 AM

Quote:
You won't be able to output in 4K 120Hz yet at 4:4:4 as that needs a graphics card that supports 2.1 and all today only support 2.0. RTINGs test shows that they couldn't confirm what the set can do in this respect yet either.
This set does indeed supports most of the 2.1 standards the element it doesn't is 4k needed for complete support but as its a 4K set it obviously can't.
I meant [email protected] at 4:2:0
post #732 of 1518 Old 05-29-2020, 03:25 AM

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oohahh View Post
Quote:
Better all round this year, much better processor also. I’️ve seen tvs with a lot more dimming zones that don’️t perform as well.

As for 8 bit vs 10 bit, we’️ll all I can say is coming from a B7 oled which is using the same Panasonic UB900 player I was only able to use HDMI 4:2:0 8bit vs HDMI 4:4:4 10bit now I’️m struggling to see any real difference, then again I’️m not viewing side by side.

Now I would much prefer Dolby vision support from Samsung, then I would have a reason to change players.
You should still be able to use 10 bit 4:4:4 on the Samsung... I wonder why it won’t let you.
post #733 of 1518 Old 05-29-2020, 04:09 AM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Quote:

Why would it be considered a downgrade? Because the specs aren’t the same? In actual testing and use, it’s not a downgrade. It actually has some upgrades in it. And if it performs identically for the most part, noticeably better in some areas. It’s not a downgrade.
post #734 of 1518 Old 05-29-2020, 04:16 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cminer72 View Post
Why would it be considered a downgrade? Because the specs aren’t the same? In actual testing and use, it’s not a downgrade. It actually has some upgrades in it. And if it performs identically for the most part, noticeably better in some areas. It’s not a downgrade.

The answer is in the text you quoted. It's obvious that many people, including me, had expected something that would clearly beat last years model. Instead it seems like Samsung did not want a 4K TV steeling the thunder from 8K TVs. If that is reasonable or not I guess is more of a personal opinion. As I also said before, if the price is lowered and the product is as good as the previous one, it is in fact better.
post #735 of 1518 Old 05-29-2020, 05:17 AM
K G

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Keep in mind everyone is bashing this TV is referencing the rtings review, they don’t actually sit there and play games on it I’ve played on both the Q90T and Q90R and I think Q90T looks way better in game mode Than the Q90R did barely any blooming at all.

If you want to buy a previous year model Q99R at the same price as the Q90T you’d be making a mistake IMO. Samsung made their TVs better this year despite the “downgrade“.

Also it’s worth noting RTINGS review sample was a 55 inch panel which Samsung marks as HDR Quantumn 12x while the 65 and above is HDR Quantumn 16x which seems to indicate that the peak brightness on the 55inch is lower than 65 and above correct?
post #736 of 1518 Old 05-29-2020, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by K G View Post
Also it’s worth noting RTINGS review sample was a 55 inch panel which Samsung marks as HDR Quantumn 12x while the 65 and above is HDR Quantumn 16x which seems to indicate that the peak brightness on the 55inch is lower than 65 and above correct?
Yeah.
I think that's correct.
I buy the 85 inch version and on Samsung site is say that is have a HDR Quantum 20x, so maybe is a little brighter than the smaller brothers...

I can't wait to get this beast in my hands 🙂
post #737 of 1518 Old 05-29-2020, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Question for people familiar with Tizen. I must have CEC enabled for eArc support. I only have hdmi 3 and 4 in use. hdmi 3 I am using from my receiver for most sources and then using hdmi 4 for my xbox feeding audio back over arc on hdmi 3, all works great. Thankfully my receiver can disable CEC while keeping eArc support active. For some reason whenever I boot the tv it always goes to hdmi 2. There is a "smart" setting to start the last used app and I've tested that both ways and it doesn't help. My issue is after my harmony switches inputs the tv then switches back to hdmi 2 upon boot. What I think is going on is when I switch my receiver input the tv notices the hdmi signal on hdmi3 went inactive and is switching to the next input, but I don't get why its picking an input I have nothing plugged into. I got my boot sequence fixed by adding about 8s of delay in the process which isn't terrible but I would obviously prefer to understand why my tv wants to switch to hdmi2 and remove the delay.
post #738 of 1518 Old 05-29-2020, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

First welcome to the forum and sorry it's a bit of a **** show in here right now lol. Nice buy on the Q95T. I've had my 65"Q90T for a month now and I'm LOVING IT! So bright!! I too have not experienced the inverse ghosting, so could be as someone said... A lottery thing. As far as settings... I think most of us here have just played around to try and see what looks good. But Rtings have just released their review with their settings. You could try those and see. But remember all sets are different and might not be the best for you. Just use those and tweak around a little. Here is the link...

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sa...-qled/settings
musicman0725 likes this.
post #739 of 1518 Old 05-29-2020, 06:56 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

post #740 of 1518 Old 05-29-2020, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7647 Post(s)
Liked: 7711
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothbutter View Post
What is with people saying the Q9R is overall the better tv???? So annoying... Both have some aspects that are better than the other, where as Q90T is by the far the better tv when it comes to gaming because of game motion plus and 4k 120hz capable.. The Q90t is overall the better tv as a whole. I wouldn't take anybody who says different seriously because they are just plain wrong
Its very rare someone does a head to head test from a old model to a new model, because the old model is done.....
post #741 of 1518 Old 05-29-2020, 08:43 AM

Thanks i'll check this later.
post #742 of 1518 Old 05-29-2020, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If I could purchase the 85" Q90T or the 82" Q90R for the same price and I do not play any games on my TV but use subtitles almost always, which one would you go for?
I think the Q90R has overall better contrast and peak brightness but still has significant blooming for subtitles which would be distracting.
post #743 of 1518 Old 05-29-2020, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 41
In this case I would like bigger
post #744 of 1518 Old 05-29-2020, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm trying to figure out between 85q90t vs 75q800t for mixed usage from about 11 feet away. Keep those reviews coming
post #745 of 1518 Old 05-29-2020, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2508 Post(s)
Liked: 2112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Its very rare someone does a head to head test from a old model to a new model, because the old model is done.....
But Vincent just did one with the C9 and CX. It's possible he will do the same with the Q90R and Q90T. Looking forward to his 90T review in a couple of weeks. Really looking forward to his review of one of the 8K sets as an earlier poster wonder if the value added is worth the price jump.
musicman0725 likes this.

LG 65B8
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)
post #746 of 1518 Old 05-29-2020, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
But Vincent just did one with the C9 and CX. It's possible he will do the same with the Q90R and Q90T. Looking forward to his 90T review in a couple of weeks. Really looking forward to his review of one of the 8K sets as an earlier poster wonder if the value added is worth the price jump.

Saw this comment on rtings from someone that owns both the Q90T and the Q90R.

“Perhaps Rtings reviewed an especially bad 90T? I’ve gone through two QN55Q90Ts, and both had much cleaner panels than my QN65Q90R and QN75Q90R. My 90T appears brighter than the my 90Rs as well, specifically when I’m using it as a monitor. I’ve found annoying dust flecks inside my 90Ts (and various 80Ts) that block 4-6 pixels, though.”

https://www.rtings.com/tv/discussion...panel-variance

After seeing the Q80T I know I would be very happy with that over my KS8000. I am tempted by the Q80/90T but I really don’t need a new TV. Just want one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
venus933 likes this.

Samsung UN55KS8000 | Denon AVR-X4500H | AppleTV 4K | DirecTV HR54 + 4K RVU | Samsung UBD-M8500
Samsung UN55HU8550 + SEK-4500 | Samsung Soundbar HW-H550 | AppleTV 4K | DirecTV 4K RVU | Samsung UBD-K8500
Samsung QN43Q60RA | AppleTV 4th Gen | DirecTV C41W
post #747 of 1518 Old 05-29-2020, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2508 Post(s)
Liked: 2112
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman0725 View Post
...but I really don’t need a new TV. Just want one!
Ain't that the truth! I think that applies to 95% of us.
musicman0725 and 3dprojector like this.

LG 65B8
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)
post #748 of 1518 Old 05-29-2020, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Folks, "Night on Earth" is this TV's best showcase for deep black color. This series really shows this sets impressive capabilities.
post #749 of 1518 Old 05-29-2020, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 28
My tv froze up on me today again so I decided to update the firmware via usb to 1115 from 1113 instead of waiting for the tv to pick it up. So far the menus do feel snappier to respond to buttons so I hope my tv just needed a reset of some kind. Since I had a new firmware I ran the gears 5 test to make sure I didn't have any inverse ghosting and I'm happy to report I still don't see any.

My hdmi2 issue is getting more annoying. I've found that my tv seems to just want to switch to hdmi 2 (which still has nothing plugged into it) all the time. For instance if I'm playing a game on another input and I toggle game mode on/off to look at pq settings it will automatically switch to hdmi2. Still wondering if this is some weird tizen thing....

Still very happy with the PQ in sdr/hdr video.
post #750 of 1518 Old 05-29-2020, 03:13 PM
Ab9

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
How does the tv handle against a starspace like in Gravity or Interstellar? Has anyone tried this in and outside of game mode?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page