2020 Samsung Q90T Owners Thread - No Price Talk - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 256Likes

post #61 of 898 Old 04-30-2020, 04:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
And have you tried a custom resolution [email protected] using 4:2:2/8 Bit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 898 Old 04-30-2020, 04:51 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouvernator View Post
User Manual says you have to activate "Input Signal Plus" on a HDMI Port 4 to have 120Hz. I hope that was the case?
Yup, you're correct, I was assuming since the other ports were 2.0 they'd support it at least under the lowest settings, now that I popped it back to the game port ( I moved it to 1 when I put it on the stand ) the PC native res shows up now and I can select 10 bit as well for 60hz.) However upon selecting it, it defaults back to the default 4k x 2k res 3840*2160 and the PC section loses the option, and u go back to 8bit. Weird.

I'm gonna keep messing w/ it.

Quote:
And have you tried a custom resolution [email protected] using 4:2:2/8 Bit?
Unable to set anything other than res/refresh for custom. Trying to figure out why the option disappeared abruptly.

Last edited by LunaP; 04-30-2020 at 04:56 AM.
post #63 of 898 Old 04-30-2020, 05:01 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaP View Post

Next thing I definitely wanna test is the hdmi 2.1 functionality for 10bit 4:4:4 120hz 4k the DP 1.4 -> Hdmi 2.1 adapters appear to be out so waiting on those atm, and w/ the 3000 series hitting for Nvidia, I'm holding out for 2.1 ports on them as well ( SLI to support the 120hz push )
Can you please tell us if this TV has native support for 120Hz/4K 4:2:2 without any adapters? Just HDMI 2.0 like on Q90R?
The Q90T does support 120Hz/4k without any adapters. Fomo on tech has just posted a video on what tvs do on YouTube. Here is a pic of the samsung tv list.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200430-085630_YouTube_1588248039327.jpg
Views:	786
Size:	640.2 KB
ID:	2718882  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 898 Old 04-30-2020, 05:02 AM

Thanks for your effort. I'm very interested so see if 4k/120Hz can work.
4k/120Hz have to be on HDMI [email protected]:2:2/8 Bit in order be accepted by the GPU.
post #65 of 898 Old 04-30-2020, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Daigle View Post
The Q90T does support 120Hz/4k without any adapters. Fomo on tech has just posted a video on what tvs do on YouTube. Here is a pic of the samsung tv list.
No. What we want is 4k/120Hz on HDMI 2.0 that is what you want now. Because we don't have any HDMI 2.1 GPU yet.
post #66 of 898 Old 04-30-2020, 06:56 AM

On Linus Tech Tips
They have a method to activate 8k on HDMI 2.0 basically you don't need Nvidia Control Panel. You should go straight to Windows Monitor Adapter Setting and choose your resolution there.
post #67 of 898 Old 04-30-2020, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I am looking to buy a 55" Q90T. I currently own a Sony Oled A9f and an LG Oled C6. I can't say enough how much I love the picture on these, but I worry about playing my video games. I was wondering if anyone had a chance to compare their Q90T to last years Q80R and Q90R? I keep waiting for LCD's to get close to Oled's. I can only fit a 55"s and the Q90T is the highest end 55" non-oled in my opinion. My house would use the tv for gaming, movies, and streaming tv.
post #68 of 898 Old 04-30-2020, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Albrecht View Post
I am looking to buy a 55" Q90T. I currently own a Sony Oled A9f and an LG Oled C6. I can't say enough how much I love the picture on these, but I worry about playing my video games. I was wondering if anyone had a chance to compare their Q90T to last years Q80R and Q90R? I keep waiting for LCD's to get close to Oled's. I can only fit a 55"s and the Q90T is the highest end 55" non-oled in my opinion. My house would use the tv for gaming, movies, and streaming tv.
I have both. IMHO, the Q90T (mine is 55") is superior with motion and brighter overall than my Q90R (65"). They seem to be somewhat equal regarding local dimming performance, which is surprising considering the Q90T has 1/5 the zones of the Q90R. I also have C7 & C9 OLEDs. The QLED's blow the OLED's out of the water in terms of brightness and reflection rejection, however in terms of black level performance in a darkened room, nothing matches the OLED. Because I also have OLED, I can see the slightest glow in the QLED blacks that many would not find that objectionable. I've yet to see any QLED with black bar movie content that I could't detect some faint glow over into the bars. It just depends on how particular you are. Both the Q90R & Q90T have the wide angle filter which is a great improvement, but as far as inky blacks they still look best straight on.

I personally still prefer the QLED over the OLED in general, mostly because I can use them without worry of burn-in, the Sammys handle low quality input such as Spectrum cable far better and I crave the extreme brightness they deliver. But they are all fine tv's & I'm blessed to have both!
post #69 of 898 Old 04-30-2020, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by srust View Post
I have both. IMHO, the Q90T (mine is 55") is superior with motion and brighter overall than my Q90R (65"). They seem to be somewhat equal regarding local dimming performance, which is surprising considering the Q90T has 1/5 the zones of the Q90R. I also have C7 & C9 OLEDs. The QLED's blow the OLED's out of the water in terms of brightness and reflection rejection, however in terms of black level performance in a darkened room, nothing matches the OLED. Because I also have OLED, I can see the slightest glow in the QLED blacks that many would not find that objectionable. I've yet to see any QLED with black bar movie content that I could't detect some faint glow over into the bars. It just depends on how particular you are. Both the Q90R & Q90T have the wide angle filter which is a great improvement, but as far as inky blacks they still look best straight on.

I personally still prefer the QLED over the OLED in general, mostly because I can use them without worry of burn-in, the Sammys handle low quality input such as Spectrum cable far better and I crave the extreme brightness they deliver. But they are all fine tv's & I'm blessed to have both!
Thank you so much for the comparison. This is really great to hear. Confirmation that the Q90T/Q95T matches the Q90R from last year, can’t wait to pick up my 65” Q95T!

As far as OLED and QLED, OLED for theatre rooms and movies, QLED I think is better for mixed use content because of no burn in risk from static onscreen elements. Nothing beats OLED picture quality in a light-controlled room, though.
post #70 of 898 Old 04-30-2020, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Welp... base on my research and what I heard about last years Vizio Quantum X (comparing to other top of the line TVs at the time). I decided I will not wait for Vizio and placed an order for the q90T. It will be the TV for my gaming consoles. Estimate delivery date is Next Friday.

Edit: been researching day and night and honestly don't see other 2020 TVs beating the Samsung out for gaming. Maybe in some parts with color accuracy but I feel going with Samsung I'll have an overall best experience in all parts of the TV. Plus it is so far the only 2020 TV that will include Freesync Premium, and as a gamer that is somewhat important to me. Would love an OLED but knowing games I don't want to risk loosing my money. Plus I don't want to deal with returning the unit at all. Once I have it, I don't wanna deal with anything else lol... I already spent hours researching for just a new 4k tv.
adampk17 and raf77 like this.

Last edited by progz; 04-30-2020 at 06:40 PM.
post #71 of 898 Old 05-01-2020, 03:35 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by progz View Post
Edit: been researching day and night and honestly don't see other 2020 TVs beating the Samsung out for gaming. Maybe in some parts with color accuracy but I feel going with Samsung I'll have an overall best experience in all parts of the TV. Plus it is so far the only 2020 TV that will include Freesync Premium, and as a gamer that is somewhat important to me. .

Freesync Premium doesnt say anything.Look here =

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...ined,6009.html

The only thing which may be an advantage is LFC, but for a TV HDMI 2.1 features are way more important. Remember 2.1 has its own format for Variable Refresh Rate which is seperate but compatible with Freesync or GSync. Why do you think LG could enable GSync via Software on their TVs ? Because they have 2.1 Ports.
What you really want to know is =

- does Samsung Support a VRR/Freesync range from 40-120hz @4K like LG

- 4K 120hz at 4:4:4 compability or rather 4K 120hz with HDR enabled

Last year Samsung only had a Freesync range from 48-60hz @4K. The new consoles will target a stable 60hz so you gain not much from having Freesync at this range.
post #72 of 898 Old 05-01-2020, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbegins View Post
Quote:
Edit: been researching day and night and honestly don't see other 2020 TVs beating the Samsung out for gaming. Maybe in some parts with color accuracy but I feel going with Samsung I'll have an overall best experience in all parts of the TV. Plus it is so far the only 2020 TV that will include Freesync Premium, and as a gamer that is somewhat important to me. .

Freesync Premium doesnt say anything.Look here =

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...ined,6009.html

The only thing which may be an advantage is LFC, but for a TV HDMI 2.1 features are way more important. Remember 2.1 has its own format for Variable Refresh Rate which is seperate but compatible with Freesync or GSync. Why do you think LG could enable GSync via Software on their TVs ? Because they have 2.1 Ports.
What you really want to know is =

- does Samsung Support a VRR/Freesync range from 40-120hz @4K like LG

- 4K 120hz at 4:4:4 compability or rather 4K 120hz with HDR enabled

Last year Samsung only had a Freesync range from 48-60hz @4K. The new consoles will target a stable 60hz so you gain not much from having Freesync at this range.

Yeah I wanted freesync premium for LFC. Somehow I just never found a video till last night after buying the tv but they say freesync does add input lag to gaming. If that is the case then chances are as a "hardcore" gamer I won't use it. I can easily notice things like that. I'm assuming this Samsung TV does support it because from my understanding it has one HDMI 2.1 port.
post #73 of 898 Old 05-01-2020, 04:10 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Yeah I wanted freesync premium for LFC. Somehow I just never found a video till last night after buying the tv but they say freesync does add input lag to gaming. If that is the case then chances are as a "hardcore" gamer I won't use it. I can easily notice things like that. I'm assuming this Samsung TV does support it because from my understanding it has one HDMI 2.1 port.

We dont really know atm what the TVs really can do since we dont have HDMI 2.1 output devices. But most of the 2020 Samsung models do have HDMI 2.1 ports =
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1587961594
If you a dead serious competitive gamer you would have to use a monitor - no brand on the market is better than Samsung regarding input lag. Freesync synchronizes between device and TV/monitor and while you indeed make the input lag a little bit worse its almost negligible. I would take this any day of the week, especially if we maybe see some console games who are not framelocked. With Freesync you could run those game uncapped and up to 120hz which to me has more impact than a slight reduce in input lag.
post #74 of 898 Old 05-01-2020, 04:47 AM

Quote:
We dont really know atm what the TVs really can do since we dont have HDMI 2.1 output devices. But most of the 2020 Samsung models do have HDMI 2.1 ports =
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1587961594
If you a dead serious competitive gamer you would have to use a monitor - no brand on the market is better than Samsung regarding input lag. Freesync synchronizes between device and TV/monitor and while you indeed make the input lag a little bit worse its almost negligible. I would take this any day of the week, especially if we maybe see some console games who are not framelocked. With Freesync you could run those game uncapped and up to 120hz which to me has more impact than a slight reduce in input lag.

Right, yeah I could use a monitor but choose not too. Sometimes I just want to play a console game and relax. I guess I can only go by Samsung's word lol.. Will know later this year I believe if anything because devs for Gears 5 say they can run Gears 5 at 100fps on Xbox series X.
post #75 of 898 Old 05-01-2020, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
2020 Samsung Q90T Owners Thread - No Price Talk

Quote:

You’d still gain A LOT. The consoles will TARGET 60Hz. They won’t stay there. Even if there is just slight variability a VRR will be obvious and a much improved experience.
post #76 of 898 Old 05-01-2020, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by srust View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8KCRT View Post
I'd love to hear your comparisons with the Q90R as the Q90T is allegedly as good in terms of picture quality.
I'm still comparing them; unfortunately they are in completely different parts of the house. Also, the Q90R is a 65" whereas the Q90T is 55". Not that there should be much difference in PQ between the sizes.

I am truly amazed at how well the Q90T handles blooming with allegedly only 96 zones versus the 480 on the Q90R. Very little clouding with subtitles. Real content shows very little blooming or clouding. Black bars on 2.35 movies are close to equal in terms of light bleed, but I still give the edge to the Q90R in this respect. I can see ever so slight bleeding into the bars with a brightly lit area adjacent to it. I don't think anyone but the most discerning videophile would notice, however. With 4x3 content, the vertical bars are not as black as I would like; not as good as the Q90R but far better than my Q8FN.

Screen uniformity is better than the Q90R, but I realize this varies by the panel. The Q90T is also a light cannon, not that the Q90R is a dim tv; it is not. However, I run my Q90R backlight at 40; my Q90T is at 30.

Shadow detail is far better with the Q90T settings OOTB. Since black levels are more important to me than shadow detail, I actually reduced the "Shadow Detail" (formerly "Brightness" on the Q90R) setting to deepen the blacks.

One other noticeable difference from older QLED Sammys I own is how the built in apps present streaming content. I personally like the Roku Ultra over the internal apps, but because I think the upscaler in the TV is far better than the one in the Roku, I set the Roku to 1080P for HD content. Then I use the built in apps for 4K rather than switch the output on the Roku constantly. On all my Sammys before now the 1080 HD content looked pretty much the same regardless if I streamed thru the built in app or the Roku. With the Q90T, the 1080 streaming content is noticeably softer than the same from the Roku. The 4K HDR looks great, however. This is no issue for me as I'll just continue to use the Roku for 1080 sourced programming.

In summary my stance so far is that the Q90T is far better than the Q8FN, roughly equivalent to the Q90R, not quite as good as the Q9FN (which is still my all time favorite LCD based display). And from what I remember since I returned them, far better than the Q80R and the Q900R.

Hi,

What I really like to know is handling of subtitles/blooming between the Q90T and the Q90R. I can buy a 55 inch q95t for the same price as the 65 inch q90r (1600 euro). Maybe some advice between both on picture quality. Thanks!

I hope this brief summary is helpful to someone.
Maybe you can advice me. How is blooming controlled with the subtitles between the q95t and the q90r? I can buy a 55 inch q95t for the same price as an 4 months old 65 inch q90r.

If you have any other advice in blooming between both models. Thanks!
post #77 of 898 Old 05-01-2020, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
I haven't noticed that on mine. I have the Q90T (north American) though.
Have you done much gaming on your Q90T?
post #78 of 898 Old 05-01-2020, 05:34 PM

[QUOTE=Marcel Thompson;59580276]
Quote:
I haven't noticed that on mine. I have the Q90T (north American) though.
Have you done much gaming on your Q90T?[/QUOTE

Some Fifa 20 and dead by daylight. Both looked great! Gonna try some Call of duty tomorrow and star wars fallen order to see how it handles more fast pace games... But so far it's great! Colors are wonderful nice and bright! No complaints. Really loving it. Outside of games I have noticed when watching movies with subtitles in dark scenes that the sub text itself started bright and slowly dimmed. I believe it was in Game of thrones. I'll try other movies with subtitles to see if it keeps doing it. Also at that point i haven't finished with the tweaking. I've just finished doing some so will do another test. But I am planning on having it professionally calibrated.
Marcel Thompson likes this.
post #79 of 898 Old 05-01-2020, 05:51 PM

Have you noticed any green trailing in the movement of 60fps games? I get this until I turn on Gamemotion Plus.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	animated.gif
Views:	198
Size:	6.56 MB
ID:	2719678   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4352.PNG
Views:	142
Size:	739.5 KB
ID:	2719680   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4334.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	377.7 KB
ID:	2719682  
post #80 of 898 Old 05-01-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Thompson View Post
Have you noticed any green trailing in the movement of 60fps games? I get this until I turn on Gamemotion Plus.
I have not but will test out tomorrow with Call of duty and do what you did there and test it out. I only turned on Game motion plus on once and it made the picture super brighter... Almost to bright. For whatever reason when I shut it off my calibration settings where messed up and then when I played anything with hdr it made the screen very dark. So I factory reset and put everything back the way I had it and was working fine again. Weird. I'm still learning with this tv so I could be doing something wrong. So I don't use game motion for now but everything runs smoothly without it. I'll see tomorrow if it does that green thing on cod. But haven't noticed it on the games I've been playing.
Marcel Thompson likes this.
post #81 of 898 Old 05-01-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
I have not but will test out tomorrow with Call of duty and do what you did there and test it out. I only turned on Game motion plus on once and it made the picture super brighter... Almost to bright. For whatever reason when I shut it off my calibration settings where messed up and then when I played anything with hdr it made the screen very dark. So I factory reset and put everything back the way I had it and was working fine again. Weird. I'm still learning with this tv so I could be doing something wrong. So I don't use game motion for now but everything runs smoothly without it. I'll see tomorrow if it does that green thing on cod. But haven't noticed it on the games I've been playing.

Thanks Dan! appreciate it, it appears to be any 60FPS game for me, 30fps games look unaffected, with game motion plus enabled I notice a slight loss in colour depth. :P
post #82 of 898 Old 05-01-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Thompson View Post
Quote:

Thanks Dan! appreciate it, it appears to be any 60FPS game for me, 30fps games look unaffected, with game motion plus enabled I notice a slight loss in colour depth. :P
No problem. Just tested Gears of war 5 before I going to bed and WOW! It's never looked so good! Colors, crystal clear, no issues. Just gorgeous! 😍 Will test others tomorrow.
post #83 of 898 Old 05-01-2020, 08:36 PM

RTINGS.com will be reviewing some of the 2020 4k Samsung TVs.

https://twitter.com/rtingsdotcom/sta...238402561?s=20
post #84 of 898 Old 05-01-2020, 09:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2690 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
Quote:
RTINGS.com will be reviewing some of the 2020 4k Samsung TVs.

https://twitter.com/rtingsdotcom/sta...238402561?s=20

Nice...

Shopping List:
TV: LG CX/GX; Samsung Q90T/Q800T...?
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion ESL X
post #85 of 898 Old 05-02-2020, 03:29 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaP View Post
Correct, in PC mode that is its just standard or Dynamic ( unless u set it to Game mode), as for the HDR mode settings, I'd love if anyone could share how on these new TV's, for starters there's no longer a backlight option, brightnes and backlight seemed to have been combined into 1 setting "brightness"

They don't show when using a PC ( not that they ever have on previous either ) which was what I was talking about.

So far main issues i'm seeing are flared whites, and LOTS of crushed blacks, which is unusual, I've been trying to get a decent calibration since yesterday, Color's are a bit faded for text too , which was easier to separate on the q7, still gonna keep at it though for another day or 2 before attempting to swap it out, sadly can't just go into the store and do it like I used to w/ my laptop, and definitely not looking forward to repacking this if I have too..

For that stuff its helpful for them to share a list of games they play , since if you're playing MMO's that can be a diff area altogether due to static UI's its one of the reasons I stick w/ Samsung currently, since I'll game all day/ draw etc with the games running. ( That + I have a bright lit room )

----------

Also curious since people are mentioning that the current Q series are -1 from last years, i.e Q7 = Q6, Q8= Q7? if that's the case the Q8 might be what I need, in terms, though may grab one to cross compare to be sure prior to taking one back. If anyone can confirm on that.
Could just have a faulty panel too since it feels like there's a certain tint to it, that I can't seem to calibrate out.

Here is some information from another PC user using a Samsung QLED I can share some tips and general user experience. Though I have a 2018 55" Q8DN.

[PC MODE], as you saw only supports Standard & Dynamic picture modes. You have WCG enabled. It uses the full natural gamut of the display. It's not SDR.
You can't have it do SDR in PC MODE. It's basically a WCG DCI-P3 display used like that.

4:4:4 Chroma is only available in PC MODE.
Used in this mode RGB input is recommended for best picture. You do not have colour gamut & calibration settings available. Only a 2-point adjustment.
__________________________________________________ ______________
What I recommend you do is change input to [Game Console], do not use [PC input]!
You get all available picture modes, [standard, dynamic, natural & movie] both SDR & HDR.
You get full colour & calibration controls. [20-point & colour gamut] You can have [SDR/rec.709], [DCI-P3] etc and calibrate for it using the TV settings.
I recommend the use of output for YCbCr 4:4:4 for best detail/black level on your GPU. (though you lose some chroma detail the picture is overall better, TV processes the image better than with a RGB source in this mode)

There is a difference on the TV on what black level it uses for different source signal. RGB & YCbCr have different ground levels. You need to use Shadow detail setting on your 2020 TV or Brightness on 2018/2019 set. I found it's a ~3 level difference. For example RGB can have 0 but to get the same level with YCbCr you need it 3 higher.
For example I found YCbCr 4:4:4 with brightness 0 is best. If I use RGB it has to be -3 or -2 to give similar detail on my Q8DN.

Your 2020 TV will have it labelled shadow detail.

[PC Mode] & [Game Console] have different gamma levels. Be aware.
The TV will engage some processing to enable the calibration controls which might be the cause for the difference.

[YCbCr 4:4:4]->[Game Console] -> [Movie] is what I use. More than happy. You get the better Local dimming.

[Game Mode] engaged will need it's own settings but it's quite similar. You get only 2-point adjustment but you keep your SDR colour gamut & calibration available. HDR works also for those games that support it but you need a different calibration for that.

The Local dimming isn't as good but works to a extent. If input lag isn't critical use Movie mode rather than Game mode. ~10ms vs 30?

I used a shared calibration profile someone did for their Q9FN on my Q8DN and in this workflow it's good. The profile is perfect for all other sources, I just made so it can be used with my PC for SDR desktop usage.

Last edited by Nighthog; 05-02-2020 at 03:40 AM.
post #86 of 898 Old 05-02-2020, 03:07 PM

Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooverz View Post
Maybe you can advice me. How is blooming controlled with the subtitles between the q95t and the q90r? I can buy a 55 inch q95t for the same price as an 4 months old 65 inch q90r.

If you have any other advice in blooming between both models. Thanks!
I seldom use subtitles, however the little bit I have the Q90T does an admirable job of controlling blooming by slightly darkening them when they overlay dark portions of the programming. It almost seems like the Q90T has a really good native contrast ratio so it doesn't need to rely on zone dimming as much to control the blooming effect. Either that or the dimming algorithm is just that good. Can't wait to see what the contrast ratio measures when Rtings gets ahold of one of these. I really haven't used CC on the Q90R to give you a qualified answer, but the Q90T is a bit brighter overall and the image processing is a bit of an improvement in terms of motion and just overall richness of look. It's like comparing a Porsche 911 Cabriolet to a Coupe; both are really great and I'm mostly satisfied with either. Sorry I couldn't be of more help with the subtitle issue, but real scene blooming is fairly well controlled on both sets. I couldn't go so far as to say as perfect as OLED in this aspect, however, but we will likely need to get to the next generation of panel technology before we get the brightness of a QLED with the pixel level control of the OLED. I have found that letterbox bars are blackest with minimal blooming/clouding within if you are watching directly in front regardless of the claims of wide angle technology on these sets; and it seems to me the Q90T has given up a small amount of angle viewing vs. the Q90R to help overall contrast. Again, the eventual reviews will tell the story here. I assume different panels may vary by supplier and size, too. My Q90T has a AA01 panel and is a 55", whereas my Q90R is a 65" and has a FA04 panel.
venus933 likes this.
post #87 of 898 Old 05-02-2020, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 26
A reddit user who recently purchased the Q90T has some very favourable feedback. He prefers it over his B7 OLED and Q90R. It’s looking like Samsung has really made some inroads this year. I’m starting to think it will be quite a popular model later this year when the next gen consoles are nearing release.

Here is the thread.
progz and 3dprojector like this.
post #88 of 898 Old 05-02-2020, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sun View Post
A reddit user who recently purchased the Q90T has some very favourable feedback. He prefers it over his B7 OLED and Q90R. It’s looking like Samsung has really made some inroads this year. I’m starting to think it will be quite a popular model later this year when the next gen consoles are nearing release.

Here is the thread.
thanks,it was very interesting thread until it turned into QLED vs OLED

Last edited by 3dprojector; 05-02-2020 at 04:51 PM.
post #89 of 898 Old 05-02-2020, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthog View Post
Here is some information from another PC user using a Samsung QLED I can share some tips and general user experience. Though I have a 2018 55" Q8DN.
I'm coming from the q7fn myself

Quote:
[PC MODE], as you saw only supports Standard & Dynamic picture modes. You have WCG enabled. It uses the full natural gamut of the display. It's not SDR.
I don't, enabling it causes the entire gamut to cave to washed out colors, have yet to make sense of it.

Quote:
You can't have it do SDR in PC MODE. It's basically a WCG DCI-P3 display used like that.
Currently operating in SDR 8 bit for the time being, which is equivalent to how I had it on the q7fn as well, this is per the tv info as well as calibration. I'm waiting on a new tool to arrive which supports over 1k nits and full BT 1886 support.

Quote:
4:4:4 Chroma is only available in PC MODE.
Used in this mode RGB input is recommended for best picture. You do not have colour gamut & calibration settings available. Only a 2-point adjustment.
Correct I generate a profile for the Windows to utilize on the TV via LUT's/Profile, I use the 2 point to calibrate within spec, ( or service menu for back end adjustment when needed )

Quote:
__________________________________________________ ______________
What I recommend you do is change input to [Game Console], do not use [PC input]!
You get all available picture modes, [standard, dynamic, natural & movie] both SDR & HDR.
You get full colour & calibration controls. [20-point & colour gamut] You can have [SDR/rec.709], [DCI-P3] etc and calibrate for it using the TV settings.
I recommend the use of output for YCbCr 4:4:4 for best detail/black level on your GPU. (though you lose some chroma detail the picture is overall better, TV processes the image better than with a RGB source in this mode)
Due to the bold I can't do that + PC mode also allows for better input lag overall when combined w/ Game mode ( though if that's changed someone can correct me, but this was based on tests done on the 2018 models ) Not to mention I sit about 3 1/2 feet away from my screen so the loss on chroma would be apparent in games and text. I initially did use non PC gaming support and that was one of the main things that bugged me on it due to the increase due to more processing of filters allowed. Though I won't knock it due to the improvements in processing power, so will give it another shot to test, but at least in PC mode I can get it to pick up additional resolutions intended via the driver, Honestly can't say much though till I see 4k 120hz in action, which should be any day now given teh 3000 series gets announced this month, along w/ the adapters since 1 company has stated production is done and they're available just can't find them in stores yet.

Quote:
There is a difference on the TV on what black level it uses for different source signal. RGB & YCbCr have different ground levels. You need to use Shadow detail setting on your 2020 TV or Brightness on 2018/2019 set. I found it's a ~3 level difference. For example RGB can have 0 but to get the same level with YCbCr you need it 3 higher.
For example I found YCbCr 4:4:4 with brightness 0 is best. If I use RGB it has to be -3 or -2 to give similar detail on my Q8DN.

Your 2020 TV will have it labelled shadow detail.
Each display is diff I get that, and on my 2018 I had Gamut +1 (for 1886) and brightness -1 for deep darks in game mode. Here setting Brightness to 0 as u stated lowers the backlight completely and unacceptable since colors begin to wash out. I've been using -1 on shadow for now since -2 seems to produce crushed blacks at the given moment, and bumping shadow detail washes out blacks. A good LUT profile fixes this however.

Quote:
[PC Mode] & [Game Console] have different gamma levels. Be aware.
The TV will engage some processing to enable the calibration controls which might be the cause for the difference.

[YCbCr 4:4:4]->[Game Console] -> [Movie] is what I use. More than happy. You get the better Local dimming.
I have local dimming disabled completely, while it can be interesting, it can definitely mess w/ you when zooming around multi lit areas. Again this is personal pref as it bothers me.

Quote:
[Game Mode] engaged will need it's own settings but it's quite similar. You get only 2-point adjustment but you keep your SDR colour gamut & calibration available. HDR works also for those games that support it but you need a different calibration for that.

The Local dimming isn't as good but works to a extent. If input lag isn't critical use Movie mode rather than Game mode. ~10ms vs 30?
Correct, and I'd prefer the lower, since for higher refresh ( which is the intended purpose on my end ( once I get 120hz up and running )

Quote:
I used a shared calibration profile someone did for their Q9FN on my Q8DN and in this workflow it's good. The profile is perfect for all other sources, I just made so it can be used with my PC for SDR desktop usage.
Glad to hear, especially since each panel can vary factory wise so sometimes it can make it look worse. I also recommend sharpness 9 over 10 since at 10 it sharpens the edges to a point it actually loses information, at 9 the TV's able to fully render everything nicely, and takes like 10 seconds to adjust to ( for PC users )

I'll upload my complete settings when I'm finished, so we can kinda compare across ( for those using it as the same to see how they fair ) it will be interesting to see.

Right now looking back on notes for Game mode, since this apparently has 6 options for it, as opposed to just 2 that the 2018 and 2017 models had, which is interesting.

ALSO (For anyone curious) Great news, I was able to RE ENABLE the HDR+ MODE that was removed, its just disabled by default lol.

Last edited by LunaP; 05-02-2020 at 09:45 PM.
post #90 of 898 Old 05-02-2020, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sun View Post
Every year again and again. Let Samsung get rid of low PWM flicker and black crush
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page