2020 LG Nano 90 series (No Price Talk) - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #31 of 105 Old 05-18-2020, 03:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by RynoW View Post
Interesting that there are two reviews now saying it's a dramatic improvement from 2019. I'm a little bummed it doesn't support G-Sync like the OLEDs, since I'm much more comfortable using a Nanocell as a computer monitor than an OLED.
Nano90 does not officially support gsync like 2019 models, but in last year TVs you can enable and use gsync flawlessly.
So, we just need RTINGS review in order to verify it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 105 Old 05-18-2020, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_carpet View Post
Nano90 does not officially support gsync like 2019 models, but in last year TVs you can enable and use gsync flawlessly.
So, we just need RTINGS review in order to verify it.
I believe lg released an update removing gsync from it's 2019 non oled models
post #33 of 105 Old 05-19-2020, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
https://www.t3.com/us/reviews/lg-nan...-65-inch-4k-tv

Another positive review, but this one noting it only has 32 (!!!!) dimming zones, and only 2 of the 4 HDMI ports support HDMI 2.1
jbdan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 105 Old 05-19-2020, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Never thought IPS would garner my attention, but this does seem interesting and the price reasonable if it competes.
post #35 of 105 Old 05-19-2020, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 54
75 inch Nano90 has 50 dimming zones. Port 3/ 4 are 40Gbps like the Samsung 2020 models.
jbdan likes this.
post #36 of 105 Old 05-19-2020, 11:33 AM

So far so good. I try to upload some videos with my X900F as comparison standing next to the Nano90.
post #37 of 105 Old 05-19-2020, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbegins View Post
So far so good. I try to upload some videos with my X900F as comparison standing next to the Nano90.
Awesome! You got one? How are you liking it?
post #38 of 105 Old 05-19-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbigg21 View Post
Awesome! You got one? How are you liking it?

Its very good for an IPS Panel. Local dimming zones got reduced in comparison to last year, but they got a new power distribution system like Samsung to improve the Algorhytm. But very much like Samsung (or perhaps even more) this TV had very agressive dimming in the comparisons i did today.

I probably dont need to praise the OS (webOS) - its the best on the market atm.
post #39 of 105 Old 05-19-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Its very good for an IPS Panel. Local dimming zones got reduced in comparison to last year, but they got a new power distribution system like Samsung to improve the Algorhytm. But very much like Samsung (or perhaps even more) this TV had very agressive dimming in the comparisons i did today.

I probably dont need to praise the OS (webOS) - its the best on the market atm.
Nice. I’m going to be moving into a new house in a couple of weeks and I’m looking for either a 65 or 75 inch tv to put in the living room. I used to always have LG LCD/LED in the past but the last few years I have stayed away b/c of all the issues they have had. I thought last year would have been the year but I didn’t hear good things about their full array.

How is it in a bright room? Have you watched any movies in a dark room? I would be using mainly for sports once they return, movies at night, and then video games.
post #40 of 105 Old 05-19-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbigg21 View Post
How is it in a bright room? Have you watched any movies in a dark room? I would be using mainly for sports once they return, movies at night, and then video games.

In my experience a LCD TV in a bright room is the best possible situation for such a TV so i cant say anything else than "good". Dark room performance usally shows everything and i just tested some Youtube Videos to count the dimming zones and observe their behaviour. For movies i will continue the "Return of the First Avenger" ond D+ later.

I played some Xbox One X to check out the features, and atm this TV can do any videomode the console has to offer. 4K 60hz obviously / 1440p 120hz / VRR can be activated / ALLM and every function has a green check mark.
post #41 of 105 Old 05-19-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
In my experience a LCD TV in a bright room is the best possible situation for such a TV so i cant say anything else than "good". Dark room performance usally shows everything and i just tested some Youtube Videos to count the dimming zones and observe their behaviour. For movies i will continue the "Return of the First Avenger" ond D+ later.

I played some Xbox One X to check out the features, and atm this TV can do any videomode the console has to offer. 4K 60hz obviously / 1440p 120hz / VRR can be activated / ALLM and every function has a green check mark.
Nice. Let me know about night time viewing. That is what worries me the most.
post #42 of 105 Old 05-19-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Hi winterbegins,
can you pls. check if gsync works?

Thanks
post #43 of 105 Old 05-19-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Hi winterbegins,
can you pls. check if gsync works?

Thanks

I really have everything gaming related, except a Nvidia card lol. I have a RX5700XT but even that wont help much, since the TV will get Freesync over a update later this year.
post #44 of 105 Old 05-19-2020, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I really have everything gaming related, except a Nvidia card lol. I have a RX5700XT but even that wont help much, since the TV will get Freesync over a update later this year.
Does the set have poor local dimming in game mode like Samsung, or does it stay the same quality like Sony?
post #45 of 105 Old 05-19-2020, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
It will be great!
post #46 of 105 Old 05-20-2020, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RynoW View Post
Does the set have poor local dimming in game mode like Samsung, or does it stay the same quality like Sony?

Samsung only has poor local dimming in game mode because of the input lag they try to achieve. The LG apparently has 18ms in game mode (i cant test this unfortunately, so i only can give you numbers from the forbes test) and not a huge amount of zones. From my observation the local dimming its completely the same in game mode.
post #47 of 105 Old 05-20-2020, 06:59 AM

post #48 of 105 Old 05-20-2020, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Quote:
I read somewhere that the real upgrade of the nano90 over the 2019 one is in the cinema preset. (blooming related)
post #49 of 105 Old 05-20-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteox View Post
I read somewhere that the real upgrade of the nano90 over the 2019 one is in the cinema preset. (blooming related)

Doesnt look to different than the other modes. LG uses a new power distribution system like Samsung on their new sets, which results in pretty agressive local dimming. If you turn local dimming off on this TV you really see how much the dimming does for the IPS Panel. Its night and day.
Matteox likes this.
post #50 of 105 Old 05-20-2020, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteox View Post
Exactly
post #51 of 105 Old 05-20-2020, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I personally have taken the plunge. After some research I felt the cost difference between the 2020 86SM9070PUA and the 2019 86UM8070PUA was nominal and worth the cost. Then I compared it to the Sony XBR85X950G. They both compared very similar, considering the Sony is VA and the LG is IPS. I like the IPS screen visibility but also like the more uniform blacks of a VA. I compared at ratings at rting.com and very good side by side comparison at zkelectronics.com. What put me over edge was wattage use per hour. The 950 uses almost three times the power. The 9070 is on the way. I want to shout out to the members who posted the names of some unscrupulous on-line companies that are out there. You saved me some considerable time and aggravation.
post #52 of 105 Old 05-22-2020, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Unhappy 75NANO91 limitations

I own a 75NANO91 for few weeks now (which unfortunately I can't send back), and I would advise anyone to carefully look at a display unit before deciding, as the color quality is very bad if looked from less than 3m away.

Regarding the local diming, this TV has less than 40 areas handled, it is fine when the picture is full of objects, but quite disturbing when there is only one white object moving in a black background as you could see big chunks of the screen getting brighter and darker. I read somewhere that the highest model has more dimming areas.

Regarding the 4K120 it is nice until you realise that it only works in degraded colors if you don't have a full HDMI 2.1 chain.

The LG NANOCELL are nice on paper or from a distance, but not in practice
post #53 of 105 Old 05-22-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabassan View Post
Regarding the local diming, this TV has less than 40 areas handled, it is fine when the picture is full of objects, but quite disturbing when there is only one white object moving in a black background as you could see big chunks of the screen getting brighter and darker. I read somewhere that the highest model has more dimming areas.

It has 50 dimming zones in the 75inch size. I counted that myself and have videos up on youtube - the 65 inch has 32 zones.
post #54 of 105 Old 05-22-2020, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman777 View Post
This could be my next TV...."As Good As OLED?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mtf0T2dO3lY

FYI that guy does fake reviews. The TV is never in his home, and the video displayed is fake it’s superimposed with special effects and editing. There’s a translucent disclaimer water mark anytime the Tv is shown. Watch his other reviews and you can see whatever TV is always just superimposed over the same cabinet and shows the same footage that’s not even running off the tv.

Here’s another example you never see the tv attached to the wall ever and only quick 3 second clips of the actual TV itself. It’s a new trend amount “influencers” they are just reading a Script.

It’s a new trend on YouTube Reviews but they never actually have the product. There’s a lot of U.K. reviewers doing this standing new to a new 2020 BMW M5 But they are never actually inside or have the car they give Impressions and talk about clips of the interior but you never actually see them inside or touch the Car. But the ThumbNail is always that SuperCar in their Driveway with them superimposed in front of the car giving the illusion they have the real car.

With that said I really wanted the new Nano90 series but it’s only an 8-bit panel with FRC and no info on how many Zones it has.
ES_Revenge likes this.

Last edited by Ice Cold; 05-22-2020 at 03:10 PM.
post #55 of 105 Old 05-22-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post
With that said I really wanted the new Nano90 series but it’s only an 8-bit panel with FRC and no info on how many Zones it has.

Well the Nano90 and 91 are the same TV. The 91 is just a Europe exclusive version with a central stand/foot, but you can get the Nano90 here too.
Ice Cold likes this.
post #56 of 105 Old 05-22-2020, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
FYI that guy does fake reviews. The TV is never in his home, and the video displayed is fake it’s superimposed with special effects and editing. There’s a translucent disclaimer water mark anytime the Tv is shown. Watch his other reviews and you can see whatever TV is always just superimposed over the same cabinet and shows the same footage that’s not even running off the tv.

Here’s another example you never see the tv attached to the wall ever and only quick 3 second clips of the actual TV itself. It’s a new trend amount “influencers” they are just reading a Script.

You are right, even looking at the setup around the TV, it is different between the time it's in the background (and off) and in the foreground (and on).
That's another misleading infomercial, thanks for pointing out.
Ice Cold likes this.
post #57 of 105 Old 05-22-2020, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

It’s a new trend on YouTube Reviews but they never actually have the product. There’s a lot of U.K. reviewers doing this standing new to a new 2020 BMW M5 But they are never actually inside or have the car they give Impressions and talk about clips of the interior but you never actually see them inside or touch the Car. But the ThumbNail is always that SuperCar in their Driveway with them superimposed in front of the car giving the illusion they have the real car.

I'm not really a fan of the way the review is done, I would have loved to see more of the TV, instead of just seeing him talk most of the video, and I'm not saying you aren't right with what you're saying about this video. But i will say, If that's the case, It must be very cleverly done, because at certain points, you can see the reflections of his room on the TV screen and see the TV reflection on the top of the TV stand and on the picture on his wall. It seems like that would be difficult to pull off. I know that kind of stuff does happen but I'm not so sure in this case. I do hope we can get some more video reviews of this TV soon though.

Last edited by excalibur300; 05-22-2020 at 07:25 PM.
post #58 of 105 Old 05-23-2020, 01:17 AM

As usual, it's better to wait for more reliable sources, such as RTINGS or Hdtvtest.
I will have to make up my mind between nano90 and Sony XH90.
post #59 of 105 Old 05-23-2020, 04:21 AM

Quote:
As usual, it's better to wait for more reliable sources, such as RTINGS or Hdtvtest.
I will have to make up my mind between nano90 and Sony XH90.

I think the Nano90 will be better than a XH90. I guess the XH90 also has reduced dimming zones so its mainly a battle with features.

And thats almost a unfair comparison, webOS is so much better than Android and the LG has two 40Gbs 2.1 Ports with almost every feature working out of the box. Also it will get Freesync via Update.

But after a test against my XF90 i can safely say that the picture quality is better on the Sony. Also the main reason why i might return the LG is the brightness. Im pretty sure the cd/m2 are similar to last years SM9000 on the Nano90 =

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/comp...sm9000/585/887

If you plan to do a lot of gaming the LG is better imo. If you mainly watch movies and want a very accurate experience i would look out for last years Sony XG95.
post #60 of 105 Old 05-26-2020, 05:54 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Although a slightly different topic, Rtings.com did released their review for the LG NANO85. And as expected from a IPS TV, not the best option for movies, but for everything else it's not that bad of a TV.
Link: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/nano85

One nation, under God. Indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page