AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   LCD Flat Panel Displays (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/)
-   -   2020 Samsung Q800T Owners Thread (No Price Talk (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/3140640-2020-samsung-q800t-owners-thread-no-price-talk.html)

Zooiez123 04-29-2020 06:29 AM

5 Attachment(s)
1st impressions - very easy setup, auto detected everything hooked up including Xbox One, PS4, Fios - put all icons on and ready to go. The amount of apps that this TV has and can put on is comparable to an Apple TV unit, lots and lots.
Automatically launches gamemode when playing a game system. Wow the latency is non-existent, super smooth play and omg, the upscale to 8K and the graphics is jaw dropping! Fios cable TV - output 4K to TV, very very nice picture upscaled to 8k. Apple TV movies - jaw dropping gorgeous 4K Blu-ray from Xbox - that is the best picture I have ever seen on a TV hands down. I handsdown do not miss the OLED picture, this is bright and beautiful and wow what a concept, I don’t have to worry about what brightness it is set at and burn in. I was a OLED fan for years but it got tiresome worrying about having the screen to burn-in possibly or whether there was a logo on the screen that would cause burn-in and eventually after two years I did get burn in and I did nothing that I know of to get it. LG gave most of my money back and I decided to buy this beauty and so far I do not regret it one minute.

Negatives - I miss Dolby Vision and the nuances of it. This picture is absolutely gorgeous and the HDR works nicely but I can tell subtle differences when I would watch my OLED and the Dolby Vision. The other negative is while playing on the Xbox it changes modes and takes about 10 seconds to switch to game mode, to enable VRR, etc. not a horrible thing but would like it a little faster.

That is it so far, please ask me any questions and I will try to answer them.

Build date of February 2020

So far this TV is a keeper and I will update after about a week of usage and if anyone has any questions

Nillaz 04-29-2020 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zooiez123 (Post 59566202)
1st impressions - very easy setup, auto detected everything hooked up including Xbox One, PS4, Fios - put all icons on and ready to go. The amount of apps that this TV has and can put on is comparable to an Apple TV unit, lots and lots.
Automatically launches gamemode when playing a game system. Wow the latency is non-existent, super smooth play and omg, the upscale to 8K and the graphics is jaw dropping! Fios cable TV - output 4K to TV, very very nice picture upscaled to 8k. Apple TV movies - jaw dropping gorgeous 4K Blu-ray from Xbox - that is the best picture I have ever seen on a TV hands down. I handsdown do not miss the OLED picture, this is bright and beautiful and wow what a concept, I don’t have to worry about what brightness it is set at and burn in. I was a OLED fan for years but it got tiresome worrying about having the screen to burn-in possibly or whether there was a logo on the screen that would cause burn-in and eventually after two years I did get burn in and I did nothing that I know of to get it. LG gave most of my money back and I decided to buy this beauty and so far I do not regret it one minute.

Negatives - I miss Dolby Vision and the nuances of it. This picture is absolutely gorgeous and the HDR works nicely but I can tell subtle differences when I would watch my OLED and the Dolby Vision. The other negative is while playing on the Xbox it changes modes and takes about 10 seconds to switch to game mode, to enable VRR, etc. not a horrible thing but would like it a little faster.

So far this TV is a keeper and I will update after about a week of usage and if anyone has any questions

You say that it automatically launches game mode when playing a game system. Are you saying that it turns on Game Mode when you go to the xbox input or does it only turn on game mode when you actually launch a game?

Basically what I would like to know is if ALLM is working in conjunction with VRR this year.

Zooiez123 04-29-2020 09:30 AM

5 Attachment(s)
It senses a game system is attached and launches game mode when the input is selected that the Xbox or PlayStation is connected to. That feature can also be disabled but I love it

I have both VRR and Low latency mode checked on the Xbox video select screen and they appear to work. Borderlands 3 is much smoother now. How do I know if both are actually working?

Nillaz 04-29-2020 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zooiez123 (Post 59567144)
It senses a game system is attached and launches game mode when the input is selected that the Xbox or PlayStation is connected to. That feature can also be disabled but I love it

I have both VRR and Low latency mode checked on the Xbox video select screen and they appear to work. Borderlands 3 is much smoother now. How do I know if both are actually working?

It sounds like VRR still overrides ALLM. That's disappointing, but not unexpected.

When ALLM is functioning correctly Game Mode should only engage when you actually launch a game and disengage when you exit out. On the dashboard or in any other app the TV should still be set to a more accurate preferred mode...i.e Movie, Natural, or Standard.

Hyabusha 04-29-2020 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zooiez123 (Post 59567144)

Pics would be great. And talk about how the black levels compare to what your Oled gave you. And If burn In wasn't an Issue would you get an OLED again Instead?

Zooiez123 04-29-2020 10:10 AM

I run standard mode normally and dynamic with kids cartoons.

When I launch Xbox I can tell game Mode comes on. Then when I launch into game something else kicks in by the way the screen changes, not sure if VRR or low Lattency Mode or both.

Zooiez123 04-29-2020 10:14 AM

11 Attachment(s)
CNN and Tangled through Vudu pictures attached. Taken on IPhone 10

Zooiez123 04-29-2020 10:21 AM

And coming from an OLED, I am not disappointed in the least. The blacks are very black and there is very little if at all blooming With white on black.

The OLED was so much work and I failed in the end to not have Burn-in. But I did get 10,000 hours out of the TV.

This just is so much more brighter and vivid and my whole family has stated wow why did you ever get an OLED? Lol

Zooiez123 04-29-2020 12:14 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Xbox one x photos

Hybridflip 04-29-2020 09:36 PM

Quote:

What size did you go with? I was thinking of going with 65" but I wasn't sure.

Zooiez123 04-30-2020 02:44 AM

I went with 75” which is huge compared to my 65” OLED, but I am getting use to it

StarXP 04-30-2020 05:56 AM

This looks awesome! I ordered a QE82Q800T and it is hopefully arriving next week! Super excited as it’s my first ‘proper’ TV

raf77 04-30-2020 08:08 AM

When you get 82", would you confirm that is 640 dimming zones?
I found information that 65" and 75" is 24x and 82" 32x on dimming zones.
That sounds good.

RouDeR 04-30-2020 12:56 PM

I have a Samsung 65inch KS8000 which has native contrast of 7000:1 and ordered the 75 inch Q800T last week but because of the corona situation sadly it will be delivered the end of next week :(

I`m wonder how the contrast will compare in game mode when the Local dimming is off (yes in game mode local dimming is almost non existent), hopefully the native contrast of the panel is at least 3000:1 without the LD.

Can anyone owning this tv check if the Local dimming is working on this 2020 model while in game mode?

picturequality 04-30-2020 02:02 PM

Quote:

Sorry to hear about your oled if it was a model 2017 and before those have burn in issues that LG fixed in 2018. I have not heard anyone complaining about burn in after that, I have a 77 c8 which I do a lot of gaming on and I dont even see image retention after long sessions.

Zooiez123 04-30-2020 02:06 PM

It just seemed too much to always worry about burn-in. With this new tv I can have it super bright, no worries and the blacks are pretty darn close to an OLED.

RouDeR 04-30-2020 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zooiez123 (Post 59574588)
It just seemed too much to always worry about burn-in. With this new tv I can have it super bright, no worries and the blacks are pretty darn close to an OLED.

High brightness produces a lot of heat, which can melt the backlight hardware, this happened to my KS8000 twice (they replaced my panel) I `m huge brightness junky and this caused damages to my TV even after the panel was replaced, now it happened 3rd time and this is the reason i`m upgrading to Q800T, but i`m still afraid of this issue happening after several months to an year:

Example 1:
https://imgur.com/a/RdAVi

Example 2:
https://abload.de/img/gmtjvyrzxjq3.jpg
And no those are not out of the box bleeds, these are appearing over time when you constantly use your tv at maximum brightness (given it is capable of 600+ nits)
I`m not pulling this "story" out of my butt, this is what the repair guys told me that is the cause of the defect.

Zooiez123 04-30-2020 03:50 PM

Well something else to worry about

mmcelyea 04-30-2020 04:11 PM

Just setup my new 82Q800T. Coming from a Sony 75x940d. So far after some settings change very happy. A lot less blooming. Have to get the colors and black levels set.
Please share any settings people are using with this set. I'm used to Sony settings

Thanks

Zooiez123 04-30-2020 06:24 PM

I would love to know what settings you have settled on?

LG4k 04-30-2020 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RouDeR (Post 59574744)
High brightness produces a lot of heat, which can melt the backlight hardware, this happened to my KS8000 twice (they replaced my panel) I `m huge brightness junky and this caused damages to my TV even after the panel was replaced, now it happened 3rd time and this is the reason i`m upgrading to Q800T, but i`m still afraid of this issue happening after several months to an year:

And no those are not out of the box bleeds, these are appearing over time when you constantly use your tv at maximum brightness (given it is capable of 600+ nits)
I`m not pulling this "story" out of my butt, this is what the repair guys told me that is the cause of the defect.

I think there was a bad batch of ks800/ks8500's....Ive had mine since the last summer olympics and watched everything I could in HDR, and its as bright today as when I got it, the heat didn't affect it at all. As far as brightness affecting the panel of the q800t, Ive watched a TON of HDR at max levels since Dec on my Q900r, which is a tiny bit brighter then the ks8500, and theres been no issues, its amazing. With the apparent better local dimming on the q800, it must look great!:)

Was curious about the atsc 3.0 tuner. Are any owners in a state that is broadcasting? Its the one thing I regret not waiting on.

ray0414 04-30-2020 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raf77 (Post 59572336)
When you get 82", would you confirm that is 640 dimming zones?
I found information that 65" and 75" is 24x and 82" 32x on dimming zones.
That sounds good.

FYI : dimming zone count is located on the 1st page of the service menu.

Zooiez123 05-01-2020 03:44 AM

How do I access service menu?

kjhank 05-01-2020 03:53 AM

Quote:

Example 1:
https://imgur.com/a/RdAVi

Example 2:
https://abload.de/img/gmtjvyrzxjq3.jpg

Yeah, the KS series was kind of notorious with those quantum dots getting boiled when running too bright for too long. Though I've never seen it happen outside of stores where they're running 12h+ per day on torch mode with super-bright demos. And I don't think this happened in later models.

winterbegins 05-01-2020 03:55 AM

Quote:

The repair guy is right thats light bleed. Im pretty sure you can make it worse with using high brightness all the time, but the problem is the local dimming system itself.

On a Edge-Lit / LED TV (the LEDs sitting in the frame of the TV) like the KS8000 the zones are dimmed from the sides (top and bottom, left and right) to achieve higher contrast. And at those places you got the light bleed.

The Q800T is a Full Array Local Dimming TV - the LEDs are behind the panel and are dimmed on a full field pattern. This is in general (exception may be the Sony XE94) the better technology and im pretty sure you wont get any light bleed from a Q800T.

Ricoflashback 05-01-2020 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zooiez123 (Post 59567382)
CNN and Tangled through Vudu pictures attached. Taken on IPhone 10

***Great pics! A couple questions:

1. How is the motion handling? I know there aren’t any live sports on right now but maybe some replays of hockey or football.

2. Shadow detail under low light conditions?

3. No Dolby Vision I could live with but not without Dolby Atmos. Right now, I get Dolby Atmos via Netflix and DV with DD+ via ARC. Can you get Dolby Atmos via Netflix without Dolby Vision?

4. I believe you have to step up to the Samsung 900TS to get 32x Full Array and 32x HDR. Otherwise, they have the same Quantum Processor 8K.

5. How is the upscaling of cable or satellite & OTA?

6. Lastly, I’m not a gamer but this TV sure sounds like a Gamer’s Paradise!

Much thanks for your review and posts.

Zooiez123 05-01-2020 05:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
1. How is the motion handling? I know there aren’️t any live sports on right now but maybe some replays of hockey or football.

Excellent so far testing old football games and tennis.

2. Shadow detail under low light conditions?

Not as black as OLED but darn close, looks great

3. No Dolby Vision I could live with but not without Dolby Atmos. Right now, I get Dolby Atmos via Netflix and DV with DD+ via ARC. Can you get Dolby Atmos via Netflix without Dolby Vision?

It displays Dolby Atmos when active. It sounds fantastic for anybody by itself with all speakers around screen. I do not have a soundbar or system to test but it does display Atmos when present.

4. I believe you have to step up to the Samsung 900TS to get 32x Full Array and 32x HDR. Otherwise, they have the same Quantum Processor 8K.
5. How is the upscaling of cable or satellite & OTA?

I have Fios cable and it looks great upscaled. My whole family is amazed at picture when watching regular shows and news . There is a clarity just not there with OLED.

6. Lastly, I’️m not a gamer but this TV sure sounds like a Gamer’️s Paradise!

I am so impressed with gaming, I don’t even use game mode because the latency is non existent on normal. The visuals are jaw dropping. I cannot wait for new systems around Christmas

A couple more pics attached showing Atmos and cable

Ricoflashback 05-01-2020 07:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
***Thanks again, Zooiez123. There has been some conflicting information on getting Dolby Atmos from Netflix with a Samsung. As best I understand it - - Dolby Atmos accompanies the Dolby Vision Netflix offering (via ARC & DD+). Now, if you are going through an AVR that is Dolby Vision capable, can it split off the video (DV to HDR) and pass the Dolby Atmos soundtrack intact?

Also - I believe the Costco Samsung Q850T is really the Q800T with Costco's model numbering. (I guess to confuse everyone.) I found this model on the Costco website and cross referenced it with the specs from Samsung.

mapas 05-01-2020 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricoflashback (Post 59577120)

The 82'' 800T has 32x. The 55-75 has 24x.
So hopefully the 82'' might be as good as the 900...

It would be great if someone can count the zones for either models through the service menu.

Ricoflashback 05-01-2020 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mapas (Post 59577568)
The 82'' 800T has 32x. The 55-75 has 24x.
So hopefully the 82'' might be as good as the 900...

It would be great if someone can count the zones for either models through the service menu.

***Good point. I think the 900TS has the Quantum 32X HDR. Outside of that, I can't see much difference between the 82" 800T and the 900TS, outside of price - - of course. I think zones are important but not as important as how they are handled, processing wise. That's where Samsung, IMHO, has really stepped up their game. They are investing heavily in R & D to maximize their technological advantage in the larger screen sizes. (82" to 85")