Sony Envision TV AR App Helps you Choose a New TV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By imagic
  • 4 Post By southleft
  • 1 Post By mboojigga

post #1 of 11 Old 05-14-2020, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 468 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9485 Post(s)
Liked: 16840
Sony Envision TV AR App Helps you Choose a New TV

The coronavirus lockdown has created a paradoxical situation when it comes to TVs. On the one hand, it is not possible to go to the store and check out TVs in person, but on the other hand because home entertainment is pretty much the only option people have, the TV is getting more use than ever.

Movie lovers in particular are now dependent upon their own system to enjoy a cinematic viewing experience. So, how do you pick a new TV when you can’t check it out in person? Sony’s solution is the new “Envision TV AR” app, an augmented reality application for your smart phone that allows you to get an in-depth look at Sony’s TV offerings, including close-up views of all the ports as well as feature tours.

When you open the app, you will select the TV you are interested in and then point the phone’s camera at the room and the space where you plan to place it. The Apple will create a virtual representation of the TV in your home. To be honest, this would be useful even if stay-at-home orders were not in effect.

The new app is available from the Apple App Store as well as the Google Play store. All you have to do is search for “Envision TV AR” with the one caveat being that your cell phone has to be AR-enabled (meaning it has a TOF camera, or "time of flight," which allows it to sense depth).

For what it’s worth, I just downloaded it and give it a shot using my Galaxy Note 10+, it worked right away and it is extremely cool. It really is like having the TV in your room. If you virtually please within a table, you can walk around it to get close up and check out all the details, in very high resolution.

To learn more about the Envision TV AR app, please visit: https://www.sony.com/electronics/envision-tv-ar
Brian Hampton likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 05-14-2020 at 03:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-15-2020, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked: 1041
I don't think I'm ready to buy a Sony TV yet.

I might be in November though if things go well. Until then my Sony 4K front projector just got a third bulb and it's not showing any signs of degradation in the panels.

But, In the meantime I can see where I would put them which sounds fun.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-15-2020, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Just used the app. It works, basically showing the TV on the surface you point your phone at as you walk towards it. It doesn't recommend a screen size for the wall, you have to select the size you want, then it puts that screen on the wall. Simple. Nothing to write home about.

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-15-2020, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 468 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9485 Post(s)
Liked: 16840
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post
Just used the app. It works, basically showing the TV on the surface you point your phone at as you walk towards it. It doesn't recommend a screen size for the wall, you have to select the size you want, then it puts that screen on the wall. Simple. Nothing to write home about.
It also put it on a table for you, and you can walk around it. But also, it's showing you what a TV of that size will look like in any given space, whether it's on a wall or a stand.
SimpleTheater likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #5 of 11 Old 05-15-2020, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 57
To get a large view I opened the app on my phone and cast it to our TV screen. The Sony 65-inch looks great when viewed on our Pioneer KURO plasma TV. In fact, everything looks so good on the KURO i think maybe we'll just keep on using it 'til the wheels fall off - haha!
post #6 of 11 Old 05-15-2020, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 987
Best Buy has been offering AR capability on their website for this feature as well. Pretty cool
imagic likes this.

The 5.0 is here
post #7 of 11 Old 05-15-2020, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

I might be in November though if things go well. Until then my Sony 4K front projector just got a third bulb and it's not showing any signs of degradation in the panels.
Do those ever deteriorate? I'm assuming you mean an SXRD projector? But I didn't think those ever suffered degredation like the RPTVs did, esp. given they still make them to this day.

My theory was always that the reason the RPs degraded was because of the "reverse UV" going from the screen back into the panels did the degrading. The panels had a UV filter for the bulb-side but not for the other side. This was just my theory, though. I did remember, at the time, people I knew that had theirs in bright, sunny, rooms without curtains, etc. had theirs fail much sooner and much worse compared to people that had dark curtains/shutters, or had them in basements.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-15-2020, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

But, In the meantime I can see where I would put them which sounds fun.
I just trashed a perfectly good 1997 Sony rear projection TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181128_193314.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	2726672   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200421_180745.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	999.5 KB
ID:	2726674   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200421_170445.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	732.5 KB
ID:	2726676   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200421_171812.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	2726678  

Sony XBR65x900e / STR-DN1080 / original PS4 / WOW! Ultra TV / Quantum Access Mini PC Stick w/Windows 10 / 8 x Rockville SPG88 8“ DJ PA Speakers / Dayton Audio SA1000 / Kicker 08S15L74 in a Tapped-Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (negative flare tapped horn).
post #9 of 11 Old 05-15-2020, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Wish I knew about this a couple weeks ago when I was online shopping for a new 4k TV. Ended up getting an LG Nano 9 65". Dolby Vision is nice.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-19-2020, 03:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked: 1041
I always use this with the $60,000 98" tv.

Now t's the only one I want and I know all the places to put it.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-98...?skuId=6331619

It will take a while to convince anyone buying a $60,000 set it not insane but it's less per month than a 1 bedroom apartment in San Francisco gets for rent so there's that.

-Brian
post #11 of 11 Old 05-19-2020, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 380
For $60K, I need smell to go along with sight and sound.

Sony XBR65x900e / STR-DN1080 / original PS4 / WOW! Ultra TV / Quantum Access Mini PC Stick w/Windows 10 / 8 x Rockville SPG88 8“ DJ PA Speakers / Dayton Audio SA1000 / Kicker 08S15L74 in a Tapped-Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (negative flare tapped horn).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
4k tv , 8k tv , sony envision tv ar , sony tv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page