2020 Samsung Q900T / Q950T Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 37Likes

post #91 of 117 Old 05-23-2020, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by treky11 View Post
every sony i every had and currently have turns off everything in game mode. the picture degrades in game mode on all tvs, sony included. sony still has more lag. my samsung looks way better than the Z9D in game mode. and you can easily notice the difference in FPS when you drop 15ms+.
This is absolutely not the case and you're spreading misinformation. You can see clearly here when Vincent does his comparison that that does not happen & I can attest on my own XF90 that it doesn't happen. Indeed, if you go into the menu the only things that get greyed out are video content specific features like noise reduction etc and some motion settings (smoothness). If the Z9D in particular sucks in this respect, that's one thing, but don't paint all Sony sets like that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 117 Old 05-23-2020, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhelmina Berg View Post
This is absolutely not the case and you're spreading misinformation. You can see clearly here when Vincent does his comparison that that does not happen & I can attest on my own XF90 that it doesn't happen. Indeed, if you go into the menu the only things that get greyed out are video content specific features like noise reduction etc and some motion settings (smoothness). If the Z9D in particular sucks in this respect, that's one thing, but don't paint all Sony sets like that.

https://youtu.be/2DaZE_VGytQ?t=603
LOL. I agree with Vincent - "The Samsung is the more logical choice" @ 11:33.

For the record, he says the both neuter processing for game mode which is what I said. Every TV I have ever had the picture degrades in game mode, all TVs look better when not in game mode, else we would watch and game in the same mode. If you want to game with processing on, go ahead, its a laggy experience. And, if your position is that game mode looks just as good as the other modes, then i guess you never use anything but game mode.

Since rtings and every other review I have seen have said that the Z9D is better than the XF90, I can tell you that the Q900 is a lot better than the Z9D, so it must be a huge improvement over the XF90.

I'll stick to my statement. The Q900T looks better in every way, in game mode and every other mode, than the Z9D, and it has lower lag. Pretty straightforward.

Samsung 85Q900T, Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz 8802A/MM8077, Panasonic - DP-UB820 , Xbox One X, Kef Reference 205/2, SVS SB16-Ultra

Last edited by treky11; 05-23-2020 at 01:26 PM.
post #93 of 117 Old 05-23-2020, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I don’t know about other Sony’s but I do own the Z9D and game mode is not great.
-I guess black is fairly black. Never really tested it in a pitch black room as i always use my Philips hue lights trips behind it (and before that i had a CinemaScope bias lighting setup). I do believe there is local dimming going on w/ the Z9D in dark scenes in game mode. I just looked at a couple of YouTube black level tests in game mode and I do seem more blooming on this mode than in my custom mode.
-but lag is pretty bad. Rtings says 4k at 60hz is 24.5ms. Outside game mode it goes to 80mn+. In 1080p it’s about 40ms even in game mode. I know when I switched from my Panasonic plasma zt60 that my kill death spread ratio got significantly worse when on the Z9D. But gaming has become less of a priority. I did buy a PS4 Pro and Xbox One X and according to the rting’s review, 4K lag on the Z9D improved from 40mn to 24.5ms. Perhaps less upscaling required is what helped it or the consoles are actually doing the upscaling and outputting in 4K?
-What I can definitely see is the HDR in my custom settings and game mode are very different on the Z9D. I know Red Dead Redemption 2 doesn’t have “True” HDR but if I go to the HDR calibration screen in RDR2, I can actually see some detail as high as 1600nits on that setting screen when outside of game mode. In game mode I’m not sure I can see anything over 800 nits. Not saying 800 nits looks bad (as I see the OLEDs can’t even get there) but it was a noticeable difference and gimped the capabilities of the set.

So all I know is Z9D was a definitive downgrade for me when it comes to gaming vs. my prior set. Unfortunately a 60” plasma was not gonna cut it from 14 feet away especially as we entered the 4K HDR world so it is what it is. The videos I’ve seen on game mode on the Samsung Q800TS and the Q90R from last year are not all that encouraging from a black level perspective but seems to be a huge win on lag which is probably what I care about most. Fingers crossed that its different on the Q900TS but I don’t play in the dark and I suspect more of the gaming content I play is not dark scenes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 117 Old 05-23-2020, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Priestley View Post
I don’t know about other Sony’s but I do own the Z9D and game mode is not great.
-I guess black is fairly black. Never really tested it in a pitch black room as i always use my Philips hue lights trips behind it (and before that i had a CinemaScope bias lighting setup). I do believe there is local dimming going on w/ the Z9D in dark scenes in game mode. I just looked at a couple of YouTube black level tests in game mode and I do seem more blooming on this mode than in my custom mode.
-but lag is pretty bad. Rtings says 4k at 60hz is 24.5ms. Outside game mode it goes to 80mn+. In 1080p it’s about 40ms even in game mode. I know when I switched from my Panasonic plasma zt60 that my kill death spread ratio got significantly worse when on the Z9D. But gaming has become less of a priority. I did buy a PS4 Pro and Xbox One X and according to the rting’s review, 4K lag on the Z9D improved from 40mn to 24.5ms. Perhaps less upscaling required is what helped it or the consoles are actually doing the upscaling and outputting in 4K?
-What I can definitely see is the HDR in my custom settings and game mode are very different on the Z9D. I know Red Dead Redemption 2 doesn’t have “True” HDR but if I go to the HDR calibration screen in RDR2, I can actually see some detail as high as 1600nits on that setting screen when outside of game mode. In game mode I’m not sure I can see anything over 800 nits. Not saying 800 nits looks bad (as I see the OLEDs can’t even get there) but it was a noticeable difference and gimped the capabilities of the set.

So all I know is Z9D was a definitive downgrade for me when it comes to gaming vs. my prior set. Unfortunately a 60” plasma was not gonna cut it from 14 feet away especially as we entered the 4K HDR world so it is what it is. The videos I’ve seen on game mode on the Samsung Q800TS and the Q90R from last year are not all that encouraging from a black level perspective but seems to be a huge win on lag which is probably what I care about most. Fingers crossed that its different on the Q900TS but I don’t play in the dark and I suspect more of the gaming content I play is not dark scenes.

I had the Q900R until it failed. It was better than the Z9D for gaming, but the Q900T is much better than the Q900R in game and out of game mode.

Samsung 85Q900T, Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz 8802A/MM8077, Panasonic - DP-UB820 , Xbox One X, Kef Reference 205/2, SVS SB16-Ultra
post #95 of 117 Old 05-23-2020, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Is the Q900TS bezel and the Q950TS bezel the same? The Samsung says it is the infinity screen. However the measurements of the 85” is 73.9” while the 950TS is 73.7”. From 14 feet away, I’m assuming I would not see the difference but what is the difference? On the Best Buy website the images appear to show the Q900TS has an inner black bezel outside of the metal bezel while the Q950TS appears to be all metal. HOWEVER, when I see videos on YouTube (of which there are not many), there does appear to be that inner bezel on the 950TS. Anybody know the answer? And from your seating position does it really look nearly bezel-less? Also does the Q900TS have the larger bezel border at the bottom like the Q950TS?

One other question? Anybody try Ambient+ mode? I think this is while the TV is in standby. Gimmicky or actually useful to hide that you have a giant black box on the wall? Thanks!

CX77 order is getting cancelled today and Q900TS will be ordered. Spoke to Best Buy yesterday and they said the issue w/ delivery was a platform issue where if they try to order on their own system it still says you can’t deliver as it will try to deliver from store. But if you order from the website it will work. I couldn’t order it yesterday for Monday delivery as they still have to cancel the other order on their end (and I wanted to fully cancel that order out first before ordering the second). Somewhat annoying that this is what has happened but at the same time they have been quite helpful and communicative and for all i know this person wasn’t even working yesterday and was just texting me as a courtesy.
i cannot comment on the 900 since I have not seen it but I've seen the 950 multiple times in person. that infinity bezel is quite impressive. i was trying to see if i could see the gradation in black between the bezel and an "on" black screen but i gave up because the screen bezel strip is too thin. i can only guess that the 900 has different dimensions due to the different frame, which is not the same as the screen bezel. from any reasonable viewing distance it will look bezel-less. i have seen the 75 and 85 version and i watched those sets from 3m away.

i will be very keen to hear your thoughts once yours arrives! i too am still on the fence between a 77cx and the q950ts. at this point given how long i have waited i might as well wait another week or 2. i'm upgrading from a 65c7. no such thing as a return policy in Asia unfortunately.
post #96 of 117 Old 05-23-2020, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Did you buy from Best Buy in NJ? Did they deliver to your house (even if just drop off) or did you pick it up? Best Buy as told me that NJ won’️t allow home deliveries from the store yet (been like this for two weeks now). Sadly my SUV is only 45 inches wide in the back and the box is 49 inches.....Sigh.....
Well that’s a lie he’s telling you. I’ve had 3 TV sets delivered and exchanged all via home delivery to Bergen county during this covid 19 escapade.
post #97 of 117 Old 05-24-2020, 04:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everyone, I am not very experienced with hooking up a surround sound system and am very interested in getting this TV.

Could I ask for the groups help? I currently have a 10 year old Samsung set without ARC. I am using Tivo connected to my receiver, the video from receiver then goes to the TV.

If I get this set will Tivo need to be connected directly to the TV instead of thee receiver and eArc then goes from TV to receiver?

Thanks in advance,

Steven
post #98 of 117 Old 05-24-2020, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue83 View Post
Well that’s a lie he’s telling you. I’ve had 3 TV sets delivered and exchanged all via home delivery to Bergen county during this covid 19 escapade.
We got it all sorted out yesterday. In theory, my set will be arriving on Wednesday. I think the initial snafu was due to ordering the LG CX which was not available on the website in early May perhaps because it was a weird timed exclusive to be sold from stores and could not be sold by “online seller.” Or something to that effect. Even right now, the 77” CX still says “coming soon” online even though the stores have them. It was going through a different distribution platform than the Q900TS. Then I think the employee out of TX kept calling NJ stores asking if that delivery platform was available yet and they said no.

My bigger complaint was my Best Buy credit card (Citi). What a disaster that was. When I opened the account I randomly had the credit line set for $15K. When I canceled the CX order, BBY recognized it as canceled and forwarded me the paperwork but the credit card would not recognize it for three weeks (absurd). This is only an issue as the combination of the two items would put me over the credit limit by $40. Recognizing this, I tried calling Citi to understand the process if I go over the limit as I did not want to raise my credit line as its a hard inquiry on my credit score (and I just wanted to keep the option open if I want to refi my mortgage given rates have been coming down). It took three outsourced callers to finally put me in touch with disputes (completely wrong department) who then informed me that it should be fine to go over the credit limit by a certain amount (<10%). It will either go through or decline and state the reason why but there will be no penalty. Spoke with BBY employee and he ran the transaction and then Citi denied the transaction thinking it was fraud (Was I not on the phone with them for 1 hr already?!?!). I then had to speak to the fraud dept which lifted the order and he stayed on the line while we ran the transaction again. Best Buy believed the transaction went through. I got the email confirmation the order was received. But Citi did not see the transaction. I was on the line with them for another hour and had it escalated when they finally put me in touch with a supervisor who just said as far as they are concerned, I have available credit and to just run it again. For my inconvenience of being on the phone for four hours, I received a $25 credit (the hell). Spoke with BBY employee again and they said, there must be a weird processing issue on their end because on their system it still looks like the transaction is fine. So as far as we know, this will be at my house on Wed but he will check up on this daily. What a huge waste of an afternoon to try to save $450 (the 5% rewards). Had I known the amount of time I would have wasted (and the impact to my blood pressure), I would have just charged another credit card as my time is more valuable (but then it became a principle thing in my head). Ugh. Will let you all know my impressions later next week after I get it all setup assuming my wife can actually help me lift this TV into the house and move the Z9D to another part of the house.
post #99 of 117 Old 05-24-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
We got it all sorted out yesterday. In theory, my set will be arriving on Wednesday. I think the initial snafu was due to ordering the LG CX which was not available on the website in early May perhaps because it was a weird timed exclusive to be sold from stores and could not be sold by “online seller.” Or something to that effect. Even right now, the 77” CX still says “coming soon” online even though the stores have them. It was going through a different distribution platform than the Q900TS. Then I think the employee out of TX kept calling NJ stores asking if that delivery platform was available yet and they said no.

My bigger complaint was my Best Buy credit card (Citi). What a disaster that was. When I opened the account I randomly had the credit line set for $15K. When I canceled the CX order, BBY recognized it as canceled and forwarded me the paperwork but the credit card would not recognize it for three weeks (absurd). This is only an issue as the combination of the two items would put me over the credit limit by $40. Recognizing this, I tried calling Citi to understand the process if I go over the limit as I did not want to raise my credit line as its a hard inquiry on my credit score (and I just wanted to keep the option open if I want to refi my mortgage given rates have been coming down). It took three outsourced callers to finally put me in touch with disputes (completely wrong department) who then informed me that it should be fine to go over the credit limit by a certain amount (<10%). It will either go through or decline and state the reason why but there will be no penalty. Spoke with BBY employee and he ran the transaction and then Citi denied the transaction thinking it was fraud (Was I not on the phone with them for 1 hr already?!?!). I then had to speak to the fraud dept which lifted the order and he stayed on the line while we ran the transaction again. Best Buy believed the transaction went through. I got the email confirmation the order was received. But Citi did not see the transaction. I was on the line with them for another hour and had it escalated when they finally put me in touch with a supervisor who just said as far as they are concerned, I have available credit and to just run it again. For my inconvenience of being on the phone for four hours, I received a $25 credit (the hell). Spoke with BBY employee again and they said, there must be a weird processing issue on their end because on their system it still looks like the transaction is fine. So as far as we know, this will be at my house on Wed but he will check up on this daily. What a huge waste of an afternoon to try to save $450 (the 5% rewards). Had I known the amount of time I would have wasted (and the impact to my blood pressure), I would have just charged another credit card as my time is more valuable (but then it became a principle thing in my head). Ugh. Will let you all know my impressions later next week after I get it all setup assuming my wife can actually help me lift this TV into the house and move the Z9D to another part of the house.
i actually read thru all of that ha. there's a reason why bank stock performance <<< tech in this day and age! but onward and forwards bruh. you managed to break out of the cx vs samsung debate which is something I have yet been unable to do. i've already sold my c7 so I am literally TV-less, thinking it would accelerate my decision, but in the past 2 weeks there has been so little new information it doesn't make sense for me to flip a coin now. Actually if I may ask, what tipped you over toward the Samsung when your default original choice was the CX? I also originally assumed my natural upgrade path would be an oled.... until i read all those glowing samsung reviews (and treky's experience)
post #100 of 117 Old 05-24-2020, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

I think if you are wiling to wait, you should. I assume prices only go down over time. My reasoning was:

-Used to be a huge stickler for quality and probably still am to some degree given what I just paid for this set. But I also have become somewhat less discerning as I age. I don’t really need complete blacks as I always have bias lighting. It may be dimmed down (probably couldn’t read with it on) but I just don’t really care to watch content in the pitch black.
-I also don’t watch a ton of TV during the day but the window situation with a sliding glass door behind my seating position becomes an issue. The Z9D can mostly overcome this but even then I do have to pull the curtains during dark content at some points of the day. I just figured the CX given the brightness would be a downgrade for me (although an upgrade for people coming from plasma).
-I game about 10-20% of the time. I also have two kids under the age of 10 that just leave content paused on my TV. Perhaps burn-in is a thing of the past but they also said that with the final Panasonic ZT60 and I definitely started to develop some image retention from playing one particular game (Destiny). My father-in-law bought the VT60 and still uses it to this day but I can see the permanent CNN logo when he watches sports. Since I can’t 100% control the content on the TV, I’d rather have piece of mind that it can be abused somewhat.
-The 85” size was a huge draw. Again I sit 14-15 feet away and there really isn’t a way to move my sectional closer as it would block the fireplace. My TV sits on a BDI Corridor stand (which has wheels hidden on the feet) and I actually pull it about 1-2 feet away from the wall just so the 75” looks the right size. I love the idea that I can push the stand back against the wall or at some point when I feel more comfortable having installers in the house, I can mount it on the wall. A 75” on my wall would be too small. As I’m currently using a 75”, the 77” CX felt like somewhat of a side grade. I would have been OK with that to some degree if I didn’t read the DTS issues, some of the e-arc issues, no confirmation on LFC on FreeSync mode, and that potential lifted blacks issue w/ the Apple TV. I think the 75” is great when watching 1.78:1 aspect ratio content (or whatever it is that fills up the screen). When watching 2.40:1 letterboxed content, it looks good on my Z9D but think it loses some impact.
-The idea that it can hit 2000-3000+ nits also seems like a great thing from a specular highlights perspective (again watching with lights on) and it sounds like it can help with color as well. I don’t need fake color pop and I know samsung was known for this in the past but sounds like this has been improved somewhat. But I also read a lot of comments about how the LG CX can look more dull in terms of colors while others say its just more accurate. Who knows what the real answer is here but I remember with my Kuro I used to justify some color dullness with it being “accurate”. I figure with the Q900TS i have the option for it to be more poppy with color or I can dial it back.
-I like the design of the Q900TS more. That is just a personal preference. I like the idea of the infinity bezel even if the CX bezel looks small. I also like that the bezel is metal and not plastic. Given my past purchase history (Kuro Elite, ZT60, Z9D), I want the TV to look upscale even when its off. I would have bought the GX if it came with a stand similar to the CX because the metal bezel looks nicer to me. However, as I’m going to keep it on the stand, I’d have to buy optional feet which look kinda weird to me and then I’d have an issue hiding the wires running down the TV (as seen on the digital trends review). Heck, i would have considered the 85” Sony Z9G or whatever last year’s model was but that design looks fugly to me when turned off. Sounds like the upcoming models Z9H or whatever it is, has fewer zones and doesn’t support HDMI 2.1 so was just off the consideration list.
-Finally, while on the CX/GX thread, it just sounds like a high number of people bought/exchanged multiple OLEDs because of uniformity issues particularly as the set got larger. I saw that CX vs. Sony OLED shootout that Value Electronics did and seeing the red tint on the right side of the screen (that the audience members also saw) even when calibrated seemed like a hassle i did not want to deal with during a pandemic.

My concerns for the Q900TS but I think I’m able to rationalize these away:
-No Dolby Vision. That is a bummer. I do think it made a difference on my Z9D. But unless I’m watching it side by side with a DV set, will I actually care? I bet the brighter nits of the Q900TS will help offset as well as just having a larger set as compared to the 77” CX. And ignorance will be bliss here.
-Only 1 HDMI 2.1 port. This is also a big negative for me as I will be buying an Xbox Series X and PS5. I’m just working with the assumption that one year from now there will HDMI 2.1 8K AV receivers from Denon or Marantz or Yamaha and I’ll just solve that way. I’d rather just have one HDMI cable going up to the TV anyway as my Harmony Elite seems to be able to switch inputs on my receiver much easier than on my Z9D. Does that mean I’m gonna end up spending an extra $2000 next year for essentially a glorified HDMI switch? Yup. It is what it is.
-Limited viewing angles. The appeal of off-axis viewing on the OLED seems huge. In certain seats on my sectional I can see significant blooming and the blacks are grey on my Z9D. It sucks. But the reality is, I sit in the sweet spot. This is really only an issue if we have lots of people over, and we have never watched a movie with a large group that cares about PQ. Maybe it was sports or a new year’s countdown. I don’t think anybody really cares. And if one of those guests, did care? Fine, go stay at home and watch on your own TV.

Anyway, that is my long winded rationalization in my head why I went this way. Is paying 2x the price of the OLED worth 17% more screen size? Probably not. Original reasoning for the 77” CX was to use it as a stop gap and in 3-4 years when MicroLED is available buy that or maybe by Sony will have HDMI 2.1 in multiple ports. And perhaps by then an 85” will be <$5K and so it would be the same amount of money and I would have two TV’s (could move the 77” into another room). But then I’d also be waiting 3-4 more years for a larger TV. I have the funds now, so figured, eh, why not.

One other thing. My iPhone XS or whatever its called is OLED. It has perfect blacks. So far no burn in. But its not like OLED changed my life or anything there. I also have an iPad Pro and it is not OLED. Guess which screen I prefer? The iPad Pro...because its bigger.
athenaesword and treky11 like this.

Last edited by Jason Priestley; 05-24-2020 at 09:47 AM.
post #101 of 117 Old 05-24-2020, 11:55 AM

Liked: 56
Quote:
I had the Q900R until it failed. It was better than the Z9D for gaming, but the Q900T is much better than the Q900R in game and out of game mode.
Treky,

Can you please post some close up photos of the front and side bezels so we can see what it looks like. Also, if you can post a pictured of the back that would be great :-)

"Never mistake motion for action." —Ernest Hemingway

Editor and Publisher of Jake's Rolex World @ www.RolexMagazine.com
post #102 of 117 Old 05-24-2020, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeE View Post
Treky,

Can you please post some close up photos of the front and side bezels so we can see what it looks like. Also, if you can post a pictured of the back that would be great :-)
it looks just a like all the pics that you see online or in youtube videos. no different. not sure what you are looking for.

its all right there

post #103 of 117 Old 05-24-2020, 02:29 PM

Liked: 56
Quote:
it looks just a like all the pics that you see online or in youtube videos. no different. not sure what you are looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yry70-V_g2A

its all right there
Hi Treky,

Thanks for sharing that video which I have watched a zillion times already :-)

Can you take a high-res photo of the bottom corner from this EXACT angle?

I would like to see both the side bezel and the front bezel located at the bottom of the left hand corner, with the TV screen turned on so I can see where the screen ends. I hope this makes sense :-)

Thanks!

Jake
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 2.28.36 PM.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	298.1 KB
ID:	2732034  

"Never mistake motion for action." —Ernest Hemingway

Editor and Publisher of Jake's Rolex World @ www.RolexMagazine.com
post #104 of 117 Old 05-24-2020, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 42
post #105 of 117 Old 05-24-2020, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraHD enthusiast View Post
EXACTLY! what I have been saying since I got it. I expect lots more reviews like this, its an awesome set. Thanks for sharing.

post #106 of 117 Old 05-25-2020, 03:05 AM

@RouDeR @treky11

How are you finding the local dimming in game mode? I think rouder you mentioned that game mode is partially working in game mode. Is that a new feature of the 2020 models? Seems like previous years in game mode fald is just turned off

Last edited by athenaesword; 05-25-2020 at 03:11 AM.
post #107 of 117 Old 05-25-2020, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by athenaesword View Post
@RouDeR @treky11

How are you finding the local dimming in game mode? I think rouder you mentioned that game mode is partially working in game mode. Is that a new feature of the 2020 models? Seems like previous years in game mode fald is just turned off
Game mode has local dimming on, choices are Low, Standard and High, there is no option to turn off local dimming completely. It also as the Samsung game mode options such as Game Motion, Dynamic Black Equalizer etc. Game mode looks and feels great IMO.

post #108 of 117 Old 05-25-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
I think if you are wiling to wait, you should. I assume prices only go down over time. My reasoning was:

-Used to be a huge stickler for quality and probably still am to some degree given what I just paid for this set. But I also have become somewhat less discerning as I age. I don’t really need complete blacks as I always have bias lighting. It may be dimmed down (probably couldn’t read with it on) but I just don’t really care to watch content in the pitch black.
-I also don’t watch a ton of TV during the day but the window situation with a sliding glass door behind my seating position becomes an issue. The Z9D can mostly overcome this but even then I do have to pull the curtains during dark content at some points of the day. I just figured the CX given the brightness would be a downgrade for me (although an upgrade for people coming from plasma).
-I game about 10-20% of the time. I also have two kids under the age of 10 that just leave content paused on my TV. Perhaps burn-in is a thing of the past but they also said that with the final Panasonic ZT60 and I definitely started to develop some image retention from playing one particular game (Destiny). My father-in-law bought the VT60 and still uses it to this day but I can see the permanent CNN logo when he watches sports. Since I can’t 100% control the content on the TV, I’d rather have piece of mind that it can be abused somewhat.
-The 85” size was a huge draw. Again I sit 14-15 feet away and there really isn’t a way to move my sectional closer as it would block the fireplace. My TV sits on a BDI Corridor stand (which has wheels hidden on the feet) and I actually pull it about 1-2 feet away from the wall just so the 75” looks the right size. I love the idea that I can push the stand back against the wall or at some point when I feel more comfortable having installers in the house, I can mount it on the wall. A 75” on my wall would be too small. As I’m currently using a 75”, the 77” CX felt like somewhat of a side grade. I would have been OK with that to some degree if I didn’t read the DTS issues, some of the e-arc issues, no confirmation on LFC on FreeSync mode, and that potential lifted blacks issue w/ the Apple TV. I think the 75” is great when watching 1.78:1 aspect ratio content (or whatever it is that fills up the screen). When watching 2.40:1 letterboxed content, it looks good on my Z9D but think it loses some impact.
-The idea that it can hit 2000-3000+ nits also seems like a great thing from a specular highlights perspective (again watching with lights on) and it sounds like it can help with color as well. I don’t need fake color pop and I know samsung was known for this in the past but sounds like this has been improved somewhat. But I also read a lot of comments about how the LG CX can look more dull in terms of colors while others say its just more accurate. Who knows what the real answer is here but I remember with my Kuro I used to justify some color dullness with it being “accurate”. I figure with the Q900TS i have the option for it to be more poppy with color or I can dial it back.
-I like the design of the Q900TS more. That is just a personal preference. I like the idea of the infinity bezel even if the CX bezel looks small. I also like that the bezel is metal and not plastic. Given my past purchase history (Kuro Elite, ZT60, Z9D), I want the TV to look upscale even when its off. I would have bought the GX if it came with a stand similar to the CX because the metal bezel looks nicer to me. However, as I’m going to keep it on the stand, I’d have to buy optional feet which look kinda weird to me and then I’d have an issue hiding the wires running down the TV (as seen on the digital trends review). Heck, i would have considered the 85” Sony Z9G or whatever last year’s model was but that design looks fugly to me when turned off. Sounds like the upcoming models Z9H or whatever it is, has fewer zones and doesn’t support HDMI 2.1 so was just off the consideration list.
-Finally, while on the CX/GX thread, it just sounds like a high number of people bought/exchanged multiple OLEDs because of uniformity issues particularly as the set got larger. I saw that CX vs. Sony OLED shootout that Value Electronics did and seeing the red tint on the right side of the screen (that the audience members also saw) even when calibrated seemed like a hassle i did not want to deal with during a pandemic.

My concerns for the Q900TS but I think I’m able to rationalize these away:
-No Dolby Vision. That is a bummer. I do think it made a difference on my Z9D. But unless I’m watching it side by side with a DV set, will I actually care? I bet the brighter nits of the Q900TS will help offset as well as just having a larger set as compared to the 77” CX. And ignorance will be bliss here.
-Only 1 HDMI 2.1 port. This is also a big negative for me as I will be buying an Xbox Series X and PS5. I’m just working with the assumption that one year from now there will HDMI 2.1 8K AV receivers from Denon or Marantz or Yamaha and I’ll just solve that way. I’d rather just have one HDMI cable going up to the TV anyway as my Harmony Elite seems to be able to switch inputs on my receiver much easier than on my Z9D. Does that mean I’m gonna end up spending an extra $2000 next year for essentially a glorified HDMI switch? Yup. It is what it is.
-Limited viewing angles. The appeal of off-axis viewing on the OLED seems huge. In certain seats on my sectional I can see significant blooming and the blacks are grey on my Z9D. It sucks. But the reality is, I sit in the sweet spot. This is really only an issue if we have lots of people over, and we have never watched a movie with a large group that cares about PQ. Maybe it was sports or a new year’s countdown. I don’t think anybody really cares. And if one of those guests, did care? Fine, go stay at home and watch on your own TV.

Anyway, that is my long winded rationalization in my head why I went this way. Is paying 2x the price of the OLED worth 17% more screen size? Probably not. Original reasoning for the 77” CX was to use it as a stop gap and in 3-4 years when MicroLED is available buy that or maybe by Sony will have HDMI 2.1 in multiple ports. And perhaps by then an 85” will be <$5K and so it would be the same amount of money and I would have two TV’s (could move the 77” into another room). But then I’d also be waiting 3-4 more years for a larger TV. I have the funds now, so figured, eh, why not.

One other thing. My iPhone XS or whatever its called is OLED. It has perfect blacks. So far no burn in. But its not like OLED changed my life or anything there. I also have an iPad Pro and it is not OLED. Guess which screen I prefer? The iPad Pro...because its bigger.
i live in Asia. prices dont really go down over time until at least 9 months later due to the monopolistic pricing here. the TVs are already twice the price vs the US/UK. 85" 950ts here is 23k usd in hong kong, for example.

gonna sit tight and wait for your review. daytime my viewing is semi bright, but i can close all curtains and make it kind of dark but definitely not pitch black. but otherwise most of my concerns are the same as yours, except kids are still somewhere in the future for me ha. i also think i have to stick with the 70+ inch size since my viewing distance is only 10 feet.

1hdmi 2.1 is definitely a huge annoyance. it doesn't matter now but in less than 12 months the new sets will have 4 of them and suddenly it makes this gen's tv look very underspecced vs the new ubiquitous standard.

Last edited by athenaesword; 05-25-2020 at 09:41 AM.
post #109 of 117 Old 05-26-2020, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
So far, I am not getting anything about the Q950TS, I can only hear talk about the Q950TS and Q900TS

I believe in my eyes Documented visual experiences

There were more effective members when it highlighted the Q900R defects In documented pictures

If she is beautiful, can you not show us anything of her beauty?

Pictures show us the color depth and black depth or How resistant blooming or bleed light

There are not many owners but the speech is general

It looks like we won't get close reviews of the Q900TS from a site like Rtings or a trusted expert

I can't see reviews of Q950TS only CES or out-of-box reviews from unknown channels
post #110 of 117 Old 05-26-2020, 10:09 PM

i've confirmed with samsung the hdmi 2.1 port is 40gbps
post #111 of 117 Old Yesterday, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm really knocking my brain around on whether I jump on a number of these 2019 Q900 sales or waiting on these 2020 units. Seeing it in person, wow, it's a noticeable improvement over last year's model. Quality wise the new units are a no brainer (taking price out of the decision as I can wait for the new models to come down in price). One of the things I'm bummed about is the removal of the one connect on the 900 line. The US 950 line is, at least currently, way too big for my space and the only new 8K that sports that connector. I'm locked into a 65" screen where I want to place this and I'd love to have a set that looks more like it's a picture hung above my fire place when compared to the Z9D I currently have there. I have that TV on a tilt so the bottom is out about 5.5 inches from the wall and the top is 6.5 inches out. Doing some comparison, the 2019 q900 with the samsug slim mount would be about 2 1/4 inches from the wall at the bottom and 3 inches at the top to get the same tilt angle.

So, I have a couple questions for those of you who have the new 900's. What does the back connectivity look like? Most of the photos/videos I've seen don't give me a good feel for how close I could mount this to the wall. The 1 inch depth is great but if I need 2-3 inches of clearance behind it for connections, that starts to pull it further from the wall and I'm fearing it will still be projecting out like the Z9D. Are the connections relatively easy to access if the set were mounted on a slim mount?

I like also having all of my TV connections closer to my media cabinet but I'm not digging the cost premium for the 950 line this year. assuming they do add a 65" version later this year in the US market (I think Europe has a 75" listed already), it feels like that cost difference for the convenience is going to be hard to justify. I'd love to shrink the footprint of that area down but moving from a Z9D to the new Samsungs given the early adoption cost of both the set and the 8k tech while it is still technically in it's infancy is making it hard to do. The 2019 model cost is a fraction of the cost of the new ones so I'm definitely tempted with those but like I said above, the 2020 sets are certainly a step up in picture (and aesthetics IMHO) .
post #112 of 117 Old Yesterday, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Q950 or the Q900?

Could use a little feedback and advice :-)

I've pre-ordered the Q950 but it keeps getting delayed as you know. What I can do is exchange that prepurchase and pick up the Q900 instead.

I'm torn because I really had my heart set on the Q950 but the release date keeps getting pushed back. Now, I'm not desperate for a TV at the moment but I don't know whether I want to take the 900 and the savings or just wait for the 950.

I would love some opinions!

Samsung UN65HU9000 w/ SEK-3500U
Receiver - Yamaha RX-A3050
Left/Right - Polk Audio LSi9
Center - Polk Audio LSiC
Surrounds - Polk Audio LSiFX
Powered Subwoofer - PSA V1500
post #113 of 117 Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegaudiello View Post
Could use a little feedback and advice :-)

I've pre-ordered the Q950 but it keeps getting delayed as you know. What I can do is exchange that prepurchase and pick up the Q900 instead.

I'm torn because I really had my heart set on the Q950 but the release date keeps getting pushed back. Now, I'm not desperate for a TV at the moment but I don't know whether I want to take the 900 and the savings or just wait for the 950.

I would love some opinions!
It depends if you plan to mount the tv on a wall. If yes the slimmer 950 might look better with the no gap mount. If you plan to leafe the tv on its stand then do you really care about the one-connect box and the thickness ?
post #114 of 117 Old Yesterday, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Yes, I definitely will be wall mounting it. The one connect box isn't a huge deal because I have everything running through an AV receiver. I do like the one connect box but that's not a deal-breaker.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Samsung UN65HU9000 w/ SEK-3500U
Receiver - Yamaha RX-A3050
Left/Right - Polk Audio LSi9
Center - Polk Audio LSiC
Surrounds - Polk Audio LSiFX
Powered Subwoofer - PSA V1500
post #115 of 117 Old Yesterday, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Well TV set came today. Unfortunately, I probably won’t be able to post any observations until this weekend due to work. Here are my initial observations.

-The box is huge....AND HEAVY (At least the 85” is). The specification for the box is 163lbs. I had not realized that. Wife really couldn’t help all that much in terms of lifting (just keeping it steady was about all she could do). I know there is COVID-19 out there, but if you have the option to have white glove service....I don’t know, it may be worth it. If not, I would be prepared before it comes to have two dollies to wheel it around and maybe furniture sliders for in the house. Trekkie must be some sort of body builder because my atrophied middle-aged body was not loving this.

-Looking at the setup guide, it appears as though I won’t have to put the TV facedown to place the TV stand on, there may be space underneath the box to place the stand on the floor (fingers crossed, maybe Trekkie can confirm). If so, that would be a huge relief because I always get concerned putting TV’s face down as they are cumbersome to handle, especially at this size.

Sadly, that’s all I can tell you. Unfortunately for me, I did not have dollies to move the TV and so had to borrow some. Just moving the TV into the house took me about 1.5hrs. I highly doubt my wife can help me actually lift this out of the box so will now need to enlist help in the house and break the quarantine....sigh. Typically, I look forward to unboxing things. Not so much with this one. In the end, I realized I’d rather just watch my Z9D and veg out.
post #116 of 117 Old Yesterday, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Well TV set came today. Unfortunately, I probably won’t be able to post any observations until this weekend due to work. Here are my initial observations.

-The box is huge....AND HEAVY (At least the 85” is). The specification for the box is 163lbs. I had not realized that. Wife really couldn’t help all that much in terms of lifting (just keeping it steady was about all she could do). I know there is COVID-19 out there, but if you have the option to have white glove service....I don’t know, it may be worth it. If not, I would be prepared before it comes to have two dollies to wheel it around and maybe furniture sliders for in the house. Trekkie must be some sort of body builder because my atrophied middle-aged body was not loving this.

-Looking at the setup guide, it appears as though I won’t have to put the TV facedown to place the TV stand on, there may be space underneath the box to place the stand on the floor (fingers crossed, maybe Trekkie can confirm). If so, that would be a huge relief because I always get concerned putting TV’s face down as they are cumbersome to handle, especially at this size.

Sadly, that’s all I can tell you. Unfortunately for me, I did not have dollies to move the TV and so had to borrow some. Just moving the TV into the house took me about 1.5hrs. I highly doubt my wife can help me actually lift this out of the box so will now need to enlist help in the house and break the quarantine....sigh. Typically, I look forward to unboxing things. Not so much with this one. In the end, I realized I’d rather just watch my Z9D and veg out.
hang in there dude...
always surprises me in the US samsung/LG doesn't come around and do all the installation/mounting for you like they do in Asia.
post #117 of 117 Old Yesterday, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

you can put the stand on while it is still in the box. the instructions show/tell you how to do it, its easy. there is a section of cardboard that just pulls down on the bottom and you slide the stand into place, 4 screws and you are set to go. good luck, its worth it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page